Career Advice

Mische

Hello!

I am in need of advice. I've just finished my Saturn Return, and frankly, I'm quite at odds right now. The thing is, it left me really confused on what to do with my life. I would like to change my career because I am not satisfied with it. The weird thing is that I don't know what I want to do. Somehow, my goals change everyday, and it's REALLY DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!
17.gif

Can you please help choose the right career for me?

By the way, while I was reading my chart, I thought I saw a t-square between mercury, mars and neptune. However, I've read that it's not a t-square because the allowed orb should only be 1-2 degrees (and strictly nothing more). Is this true?

Your advice will be most appreciated.

01.gif

Last edited:

archergirl

Hi there,

Could you please re-post your chart? It has expired. Sounds like you're plagued with the same sort of issue I have: what to do 'when you grow up'. My sympathies.:p

AG:)

starlink

However, I've read that it's not a t-square because the allowed orb should only be 1-2 degrees (and strictly nothing more). Is this true?

Never heard of this! I always take about 5° for the squares, with Sun and Moon a bit more and most certainly if it is an ingoing square, for the opposition I take 8° and up till 10° when the Sun or Moon are ingoing.

Your link to the chart is not what it should be. I am getting something weird there. Could you maybe use AstroDienst to draw up a chart??

Thanks, Starlink

Mische

Hi,

I will re-post my natal chart again (using Astrodienst). However, the latitude and longitude is not quite accurate. The exact coordinates should be 14N36 and 121E01. In Astrodienst, it's 14N35 and 121E00. I don't even know if it makes a difference. Really, does it? I was told that the time of birth should be very accurate. Does that also apply with location? (Excuse the fussiness. My Mercury in Virgo is acting up again :D).

Regarding the t-square, I'm really not too sure. I've gotten a very comprehensive (and long!!!!) explanation why orbs should be very small. It's from Real Astroloy (http://therealastrology.com). It's a great website, by the way....

Aspect Patterns Require Very Small Orbs

Aspect patterns are so powerful because of the harmonic resonance that they carry. When any planet in the pattern is triggered, all of the other planets are also triggered, either directly or indirectly. To explain this concept in more detail, we first have to look at the two different components that make any aspect "work".

There are two different approaches to aspects, each of which is very important: the elemental approach and the harmonic approach. The elemental approach to aspects comes from the ancient Greek and Egyptian practice of using whole-sign aspects. This practice originated in the earliest days of astrology, when precise measurement of the planets was difficult, if not impossible. (Today, with our computer programs, we tend to quibble about a discrepancy of a few seconds of arc, but the Ancients were thrilled if they could fit within a 5-10 degree window.) Only the so-called Ptolemaic aspects were used (conjunction, opposition, trine, square, sextile), and aspects were formed from sign to sign. Any planet in Aries was square any planet in Cancer, regardless of the angle between them.

The elemental approach to aspects takes into account the nature of the signs, and the relationship between those signs in interpreting an aspect, a technique that is still essential today. Conjunctions occur between planets in the same sign, and represent a unity of approach, a merging of energy. Oppositions occur between planets in the same modality (Cardinal, Fixed or Mutable) and in the same polarity (Masculine or Feminine). Squares occur between planets in the same modality (Cardinal, Fixed or Mutable) but in different polarities. Trines occur between planets in the same element (Fire, Earth, Air or Water), and Sextiles occur between planets in the same polarity, but in different elements and modalities. Quincunxes and Semi sextiles (Inconjuncts), while not widely used at the time, occur between two signs that have nothing in common by polarity, modality or element.
Although the Greeks didn't seem to be too concerned with the "orb" of an aspect, they did differentiate between exact aspects and less exact ones. Any aspect that occurred between planets in the same degree was called partile and was considered to be exceptionally strong. Aspects that were not in the same degree were called platic.

In the 1600s, when measuring the positions of the planets became much more accurate, and largely due to the influence and theories of Johannes Kepler, the concept of harmonics came into play. Kepler thought that aspects worked because the planets vibrated at the same frequency, and therefore resonated with each other. The harmonics were based on the division of the 360 degree circle by whole numbers. Conjunctions are 1st harmonic aspects. Oppositions, 180° aspects, are 2nd harmonic aspects (360 divided by 2). Trines, 120° aspects are 3rd harmonics; Squares (90°) are 4th harmonics; and Sextiles (60°) are 6th harmonics. Kepler didn't stop with the Ptolemaic aspects, however. He is the "inventor" of the Quintile, (5th harmonic, 72° aspect) and it's compliment, the Biquintile (144° aspect, also 5th harmonic); as well as the 8th Harmonic aspects, including the 135° Sesquiquadrate.

When using harmonics, both in music and in astrology, the closer the two vibrations are to exact, the more pronounced and powerful the harmonic is; also, the higher the harmonic, the more subtle the effect and the more precise the vibrations must be. This is where the whole question of orbs came about. The closer two planets are to the exact angle of the aspect, the more powerful and pronounced the harmonic effect is. The question becomes, however, at what point does the harmonic influence fade to insignificance? There is no answer to this question; the only rule of thumb is that based on the laws of harmonics (from physics), the widest orbs should be allowed for Conjunctions, and then in decreasing order for Oppositions, Trines, Squares, Quintiles, Sextiles, Septiles (7th Harmonic), Octiles (the 8th Harmonic series, including the Semi-square and the Sesquiquadrate), Noviles (9th Harmonics), Deciles (10th Harmonic) and the smallest orbs of all would be allowed for the 12th Harmonic series, which includes the Semi-Sextile (Inconjunct), and the Quincunx.

Now, even if you don't consider the Quincunx to be a "major" aspect, most astrologers allow at the very least a 2 degree orb for Quincunxes, sometimes more; and they would certainly give it a wider orb and more leeway than they would a Septile, for example. This, I believe, is where and why the elemental approach must be combined with the harmonic approach to aspects. Quincunxes and Semi-Sextiles may be 12th Harmonic aspects, but they are also whole-sign aspects, and the nature of the energy of these aspects comes as much from the harmonics as it does from the relationship between the signs.

So what the heck does this all have to do with using small orbs for aspect patterns, I hear you cry? Quite simply, part of the power of an aspect pattern comes from the harmonics of it. With a true aspect pattern, when one planet is triggered, so are all of the others. Look at aspect patterns like a guitar. If you pluck one string on a guitar that has been properly tuned, all of the other strings will also vibrate because of the harmonics. However, if the guitar is not properly tuned, the other strings will not respond. The tighter the orbs in the aspect pattern, the better tuned the guitar is. Another reason for this is that many aspect patterns involve harmonic aspects (a Grand Cross has two Oppositions (2nd harmonic) and four Squares (4th Harmonic). If the orbs are too wide, some of the aspects will not be present, and some of the strings (to stick with the guitar example) won't vibrate.

This is particularly clear when the triggering planet is one of the outer bodies. A person with a T-Square or a Grand Cross with a 1° orb is going to experience Pluto triggering all of those planets at the same time. Extend that orb to 5°, and the effect is quite different: the pressure of Pluto will trigger the planets in sequence, but not simultaneously, and it may take up to a year for all of the planets to be hit.

Thanks... :)

Last edited: