Weird Weather this week in Oz

R4VEN

This week - well, that's only 3 days so far - we have had heavy rain and thunderstorms in South Australia: (one thunderclap was so loud that the floor beneath my feet vibrated)

http://www.abcaustralia.com/news/video/2009/09/22/2693014.htm

and Sydney-siders awoke this morning to what must have appeared like Armageddon - red skies, as the (iron-rich) dust from northern South Australia blanketed the city:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article6845490.ece

Very weird - and eerie, too. And this is meant to be spring.

gemini59

Here in the states flooding after months of drought in the southern states. Due to the red clay in the soil the water is a red brown. Not sure about weather in astrology but mars in cancer is currently inconjunct Jupiter in Aquarius at 17 degrees. It will be interesting to see what occurs as mars reaches the degree of the current transiting Uranus and Neptune at 24 degrees.
I saw the footage of Austrialia....it was creepy, as if Australia is on another planet aka Mars.

smilingsteph

Oh my goodness!! What a beautiful site and yet so scary!
In El Paso we would get these "brown outs" where the wind would sweep up the sand and dust and the sky was sort of like what happened in Sydney, but the visibility was not as bad.

How scary.

I had never seen what Sydney looks like, only on a map Lol. It sure is gorgeous! I have had dreams to visit that part of the world. In fact I had a dream last night about being on a boat and swimming and seeeing this beautiful clear crystal green water. And a shark was coming after me.

Thanks for sharing that.

I hope the weather gets better....or more normal!

HeyPlayGirl

the red sky is so freaky, i ve been reading about it! and i totally forgot aus has their seasons opposite of us, its fall here, interesting!

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi
I think the current extreme weather patterns in Oz are still relating to the Jan. eclipse whose shadow passed over Australia.Shortly after that eclipse there were devastating fires and a number of small earthquakes-
I woke up yesterday to find everything outside encrusted in red desert soil (*where the desert meets the sea*).Today a fierce wind is blowing it away.It was eerie as it looked a bit like sunset all day!
Rumour has it this year's fire season could be worst ever for Oz.Already people are preparing for it.
I doubt the extreme El Nina patterns will only affect Australia though.
Cheers
Lillyjgc

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Australia's wild weather continues.In places it snowed last night. Gale force winds are continuing to damage property.
Speaking to an Aboriginal teacher about this phenomena, he said it would be interesting to see what plants sprang up where as a result of the transfer of soil by winds over literally thousands of kilometres.There were also concerns about some of the dust being radioactive as it had blown from the Uranium mining regions.That's still being investigated.
Australia is now also experiencing extreme fire danger as the raging winds and dried out forest beds would be a lethal combination if triggered...(thinking it might actually be good that mars is currently in a water sign).
I believe there is more bad weather on the way too.
Cheers
Lilly

R4VEN

Today (Saturday) has been the calmest and driest day all week. This in the driest state on the driest continent on earth.

We have had so much rain and wind and thunderstorms each day. I was talking on the phone to a friend on Monday who lives in the mid-north of South Australia. Suddenly we were cut off. Later I discovered that she had lost her landline, her mobile connection, and the electricity went off for several hours. This kind of thing is unheard of in late September.

That's interesting about the transfer of soil from central Australia to the east coast, lillyjgc.

Artemisdaughter

The strange weather continues
in western Sydney today it was miserable where I am but little rain until about quater to four then I had to walk for 15 minutes in it :biggrin:
Stopped raining for like 3 hours now its pouring again and my bf has to drive his motorcycle home from work in it about midnight.
I like the rain and sometimes I suppose we should be grateful we have it because most of the time its drought.Yet it can be bloody inconvenient at times.:happy:

JUPITERASC

Weather modification is the act of intentionally manipulating or altering the weather.
The most common form of weather modification is cloud seeding
which increases rain or snow, usually for the purpose of increasing the local water supply.

Weather modification can also have the goal of preventing damaging weather
such as hail or hurricanes, from occurring
or of provoking damaging weather against the enemy, as a tactic
of military or economic warfare like Operation Popeye
where clouds were seeded to prolong the monsoon in Vietnam.

Weather modification in warfare has been banned by the United Nations :)

under the Environmental Modification Convention.