Understanding Venus in astrology

waybread

No, Ollie, my comment was not a fallacy ad antiquitatum.

But I could equally criticize esoteric astrology of the sort popularized by the theosophists and Dane Rudhyar. To me, it's a kind of cotton candy for the soul.

Rightly or wrongly most people seeking astrological advice are concerned about their material lives, relationships, and careers. This doesn't necessarily make them thoughtless people.

katydid

But my question was, how can luxuries and money (which are very superficial) be related to something as deep as self-worth and deeply loving yourself?

Money and valuable resources are hardly 'superficial.' Try living your life with out any of it. :sideways:

Sure, false bravado and needless trappings are superficial. But 'resources' and financial stability are of prime importance. How else do you get on with other important matters? How do you have a family, help your elders, give charitably to others, without having financial stability yourself?

JUPITERASC

JA, note how your most recent posts tacitly acknowledge that Tetrabiblos is a work of astrology-- even if you think it is derivative.
As is a lot of scholarship today, and certainly textbooks.
to be clear then :smile:
Note that Kenneth Johnson
- an astrologer with at least forty years experience

has stated:

'....We know that Ptolemy, for example, seems to have been a theoretician rather than a 'working-class' astrologer.

For Dorotheus, Firmicus and Hephaistio, we don't have much information.

But it is commonly known that Valens was indeed a 'working-class astrologer'
often prefacing statements with phrases like:

"I wandered throughout Egypt in search of knowledge until someone taught me this technique, and I have found it to work beautifully."

"I have found this lot to be very mystical and important."

Valens speaks from his own personal experience as a working astrologer which makes me want to trust him...'
:smile:

JUPITERASC

Because your chart can be read exoterically (all of what people have described here)
and esoterically (a more spiritual approach).
Of course, exoterical definitions will apply more for individuals who are personality-centered, and esoterical definitions will do better for people who are more aware and spiritual.
It seems corny as hell, but hey, there's all kinds of people in the world,
all living on their own level on consciousness and sensibility to reality.
Ollie because jollyzal has literally just been banned very recently
he shall not be able to respond to comments on this thread
jollyzal was in fact a previously banned member
who rejoined with a new name

but we can continue discussing this very interesting topic :smile:

La Croix

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread - extremely interesting and informative. I'm currently studying both exoteric & esoteric approaches so I'll take it all. :biggrin: