Mind-Bending Questions that have Paused Me to No Ends!

SniperBomber328

I have these mind-boggoling situations that have made me question how to work them out in my chart.

I just want to ask, is the chart considered a day chart or night chart when the Sun is placed in the 1st House? Then on top of that, if the Sun should be placed in the 7th House, does it make the chart a day or night one? Of the two houses (1st/7th), which one belongs to the night sect (under-the-earth) and the other to the day sect?

Another thing, should a chart be a day chart, but let's say a planet falls under-the-earth but rules the day triplicity of it's current sign, would it recieve triplicity, because the chart is a day chart, or does it mean it won't gain the dignified status?

E.g. Let's say the Sun was in the 9th house, the day sect and so obviously this chart is a day one. But let's say Saturn is in the 3rd House Aquarius, would it then recieve Triplicity for being in its sign of Triplicity in a day chart, or would it be null cause he is under-the-earth and so technically in the night sect?

JUPITERASC

I have these mind-boggoling situations that have made me question how to work them out in my chart.

I just want to ask, is the chart considered a day chart or night chart when the Sun is placed in the 1st House? Then on top of that, if the Sun should be placed in the 7th House, does it make the chart a day or night one? Of the two houses (1st/7th), which one belongs to the night sect (under-the-earth) and the other to the day sect?
SniperBomber328, the HORIZON determines the sect of a chart.

Sun in first whole sign house below the horizon/ascendant = a night chart
Sun in first whole sign house, above the horizon/ascendant = day chart
Sun in seventh whole sign house below the horizon/descendant = night chart
Sun in seventh whole sign house above the horizon/descendant = day chart
tsmall has a thread entitled "Hellenistic Delineations" that you may find useful
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=348708#post348708
These comments on sect that I posted on that thread some time ago are common knowledge amongst those who are interested in Hellenistic astrology :smile:
FAQ SECT http://www.projecthindsight.com/

To be in Sect, the Sun must be above the horizon
The Sun can only be above the horizon in a Day/diurnal Chart

The Moon in a Night Chart may be in Sect either above or below the horizon

- that's because the Sun determines Diurnal/Nocturnal

(a) The Sun is always in Sect in a Day Chart

(b) The Moon is always in Sect in a Night Chart

ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATIONS

1.) In a diurnal chart you'd want the diurnal planets in the upper hemisphere with the Sun (hayz) as that would be more natural for those planets. The diurnal planets are Sun, Jupiter and Saturn.

If any diurnal planets in a diurnal chart are in the lower hemisphere/below the Ascendant/Descendant axis then although they are in sect, nevertheless they are considered slightly out of sect and more nocturnal in nature (halb).

If the nocturnal planets in a diurnal chart are below the horizon, although they are out of sect they are still in hayz and so more natural - but nocturnal planets that are above the horizon in a diurnal chart are situated contrary to their nature (halb).

2.) In a nocturnal chart you'd want the nocturnal planets in the upper hemisphere away from the Sun (hayz).

Any nocturnal planets in the lower hemisphere in a nocturnal chart are still in sect but are considered slightly out of sect and more diurnal in nature (halb).

If the diurnal planets in a nocturnal chart are below the horizon they are also hayz, so a little more natural but if they are above the horizon they are situated contrary to their nature nature (halb).

Just remember

(a) the Sun alone determines Day and Night.

(b) the Sun can only be above the horizon in a Day Chart

(c) the Moon is always out of Sect when the Sun is above the horizon (Diurnal/Day Chart)

(d) the Moon is always in Sect when the Sun is below the horizon (Nocturnal/Night Chart)

(e) therefore if the Sun is below the horizon it is a Nocturnal/Night Chart and

(f) therefore in a Nocturnal/Night Chart the Moon is in Sect whether above or below the Horizon

diurnal = day
nocturnal = night

(a) when above the horizon the Sun is in the upper hemisphere = Day/diurnal

(b) when below the horizon the Sun is in the lower hemisphere = Night/nocturnal

therefore

(c) the Moon is in Sect in a Night Chart irrespective of hemisphere and/or horizon

This is a question often debated :smile:

'Ascendant' is the name given to the Eastern section of the Great Circle of the Horizon

If the Sun were visible on the Eastern Horizon then one would define that as Day

Nevertheless there are a number of definitions for both Sunrise and Sunset
- one of which is 'apparent sunrise/sunset' - Due to atmospheric refraction, sunrise occurs shortly before the sun crosses above the horizon. Light from the sun is bent, or refracted, as it enters earth's atmosphere. This effect causes the apparent sunrise to be earlier than the actual sunrise. Similarly, apparent sunset occurs slightly later than actual sunset. However, it should be noted that due to changes in air pressure, relative humidity, and other quantities, no one can predict the exact effects of atmospheric refraction on sunrise and sunset time: this possible error increases with higher latitudes (closer to the poles).

Official times of Sunrise and Sunset may be found on various astronomical websites.

Hellenistic astrology states that the Sun is always in sect in a day/diurnal chart and obviously then out of sect in a night/nocturnal chart
link to an explanation of sect http://horoscopicastrologyblog.com/2008/11/25/the-astrology-of-sect/ :smile:

Last edited:

SniperBomber328

Oh my Glob! Thanks so much for the information Jupiterasc. I'm glad that my Sun is 2* above the horizon. That means it makes my chart a diurnal one, which sadly makes my Moon out of sect, even though she is in the 5th House. I have another question if you could answer it. My Saturn is in the 4th Aquarius, and since my chart is diurnal, does that mean he is in his own Triplicity even though he is under-the-earth?

JUPITERASC

Oh my Glob! Thanks so much for the information Jupiterasc. I'm glad that my Sun is 2* above the horizon. That means it makes my chart a diurnal one, which sadly makes my Moon out of sect, even though she is in the 5th House. I have another question if you could answer it. My Saturn is in the 4th Aquarius, and since my chart is diurnal, does that mean he is in his own Triplicity even though he is under-the-earth?
Aquarius Saturn in a day chart is in his own Triplicity, according to Ptolemy, Dorotheus Schöner and Morin - as illustrated on attachment. :smile:
http://altairastrology.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/a-closer-look-at-triplicity/

Attachments

• TRIPLICITIES.jpg
    TRIPLICITIES.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 27