The Astrology of Myers-Briggs Personality Types

Arian Maverick

Hello, everyone! :smile:

I've been researching the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Tool lately, which operates under the theory that people can be grouped according to certain characteristic ways of thinking and behaving. Visit The Myers & Briggs Foundation website or use your favorite search engine to learn more about the MBTI. There are many pages on the website, but MBTI Basics is a good place to start.

Basically, you are asked to choose between two preferences in four categories, and the interaction among these preferences determines your personality type. The qualities of Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I), Sensing (S) or Intuition (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P) are assessed, and the combination of these four preferences results in 16 personality types, which are described here.

They are:

• ISTJ
  • ISFJ
  • INFJ
  • INTJ
  • ISTP
  • ISFP
  • INFP
  • INTP
  • ESTP
  • ESFP
  • ENFP
  • ENTP
  • ESTJ
  • ESFJ
  • ENFJ
  • ENTJ
I believe a discussion regarding astrological factors associated with the eight individual qualities--Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I), Sensing (S) or Intuition (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)--would be a good place to start.

Then, perhaps, we can attempt to "create" a natal chart we feel aptly describes each of the 16 personality types. Obviously, there will be many astrological indicators for these 16 types, since we have a nearly infinite array of natal charts.

If we wish to take a less systematic approach, the thread participants can each list their personality type (if you don't know it, there are several free tests online) and describe which astrological factors in your natal chart you believe contribute towards the characteristics associated with your type. Naturally, not all of the characteristics of a certain type will apply to you, just as not all of the characteristics of a certain sign archetype or planetary placement will apply to you. We are each an intricate blend of characteristics.

I have not been tested by a certified MBTI consultant, nor do I intend to, but I seem to receive the result of INFP on several versions of the test.

EDIT: So as not to appear biased, I have removed the links for INFP. Please send me a personal message if you are interested in visiting the sites I found.

Now, here are some more general sites:

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

NicholasH

i like were youre going with this.

im an ENFP

libra rising
libra moon
cancer MC
venus in pisces
mercury in aquarius
mars in sag.

i have a hard time with assigning meyers briggs types to planets/signs

(E)xtrovert- libra rising (aries on the 7th with jupiter in the 7th), mars in sag. in the third. 5th house mercury.

i(N)tuition- mercury in aquarius. uranus and neptune in the third.

(F)eeling- cancer MC, moon conjunct asc. venus in picses

(P)ercieving- this ones tough. i have a picses North Node and virgo south node. i think if i took the test 4 years ago i would be (J)udging. i've learned to relax and go with the flow, but i used to fear not having a structured lifestyle.

meyers briggs seems to be more limiting than astrology as far as describing personality goes.

waybread

Great topic, Arian. Carl Jung, who studied astrology, apparently laid the early groundwork for this psychological test.

One thing I might note is that people who are very close to the midpoint of the pairs of opposites (i. e., introvert vs. extrovert, judging versus perceiving) can test differently if they take the test at different times. I did it twice, and came out once as an INTJ and once as an INTP. Also, as an introvert, I am pretty close to the cross-over point for extroverts, although I believe the "I" is correct for me.

EJ53

Banned
I am ISTP

Introvert.........Sun, Mercury, Chiron, 3rd house cusp in Scorpio, Sat/11th (on 12th cusp)

Sensing..........Pluto square Mercury, Jupiter opp Uranus, (Cancer Moon?)

Thinking.........Asc/Sat in Virgo, Uranus/9th, Sat sxt Uranus

Perceiving......Neptune/Venus in Libra/1st house, Gemini MC, Sat trine Jup, Mars in Sagittarius/3rd

EJ:unsure:

Last edited:

archergirl

I was officially tested at work. I'm an INFP. I'm not sure this will actually work in my chart; I have a fairly extrovert chart.

Intravert: Mercury in Capricorn, 12th house; Moon conj. Saturn, 3rd house

iNtuition: Mercury/Capricorn.

Feeling: ...?

Perceiving:....?

I have an 11th house Sagittarius Sun and Venus; a fire sign Moon in the 3rd; Mercury square Uranus (from 12th to 8th house): intuition(?), but in some ways this shows an extrovert (not an 'extravert' as in Meyers-Briggs); one would expect that I would be more 'on show' than I am.

Most of the planets in my chart are above the horizon; two angular planets (both in water signs), four in cadent houses (in fire, water, and earth signs), very little in air signs apart from Uranus and my Aquarius ascendant. Perhaps all the fire and water describe the 'feeling/perceiving' part, but this feels like a stretch.

AG:andy:

bluemascara

I'm an ENTP.

This is my attempt at it lol

Extrovert: Leo Rising, Aries Moon, Mercury in Libra, Jupiter conjuct midheaven??
Intuitive: Mercury in fourth,Scorpio Sun in fourth
Thinking: Moon in 9th, Mars in 3rd?
Perceiving: Mercury Opp Jupiter??

Arian Maverick

When I expressed my intentions for this thread, communicating my desire to ascribe astrological signatures to the four pairs of characteristics, my immediate thought was to try to utilize Tim's technique (see his website,Free Astrological Chart Interpretation)--although I'm not sure if Inner Focus is the same as Introversion, or if Outer Focus is the same as Extroversion. This principle seems to work in my natal chart, but as Frank would say, your mileage may vary. :wink:

I also have many more planets in the left hemisphere of my natal chart than in the right hemisphere of my natal chart, which indicates a focus upon self. As Tim states, "This person, although they may take other people into account, focuses on themself." I suppose this may explain why the test generally classifies me as an Introvert--although like waybread, I believe I am pretty close to the cross-over point for extroverts.

I am also a bit "stuck" upon Sensing or Intuition, altough I imagine that those who have an affinity for the earth element may be inclined to prefer working with what is right into front of them (Sensing), while those who have an affinity for the air element may prefer to work with ideas or possibilities (Intuition). I know this definition of intuition sounds different, but a book I read about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator warns that we should not use the typical associations with the word "intuition" to select between Sensing and Intuition. The descriptions on the Sensing or Intuition may be helpful to read again. Personally, this was the most difficult category for me to choose between.

I believe the possible astrological componant of my (slight) preference for Intuition derives from my chart ruler Mars in Gemini, which is in mutual reception with Mercury in Aries. Many people believe Arians display a preference for facts and other details regarding "what is," and I believe this is generally true. However, the Arian energy in my natal chart is modified by Mars in Gemini, a sign which loves to discuss ideas. The mutual reception between Mars and Mercury reaffirms this.

It was much, much simplier for me to determine my preference for Thinking or Feeling. I have the Moon conjunct my Ascendant; what do you suspect I chose?

The final preference pair, Judging or Perceiving, was another easy choice for me. I attribute my preference to perceiving to my first house Aries stellium. Before you debate me on this point, read a few of the characteristics of the Perceiving type:

"To others, I seem to prefer a flexible and spontaneous way of life, and I like to understand and adapt to the world rather than organize it. Others see me staying open to new experiences and information."

"The following statements generally apply to me:

• I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
  • I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
  • I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
  • I work in bursts of energy.
  • I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
  • Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed."
I believe a preference for perceiving may apply to fire signs in general--particularly to Aries and Sagittarius. Leo may be influenced the fixed modality of its sign. Perceiving may also be a characteristic of the mutable signs--but not so much of Virgo.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:
I am an INFP I tested the same as I did last year.
  • moderately expressed introvert
  • very expressed intuitive personality
  • distinctively expressed feeling personality
  • distinctively expressed perceiving personality
The interpretation & Astrology

Idealist Portrait of the Healer (INFP)
Healers present a calm and serene face to the world, and can seem shy, even distant around others. But inside they're anything but serene, having a capacity for personal caring rarely found in the other types. Healers care deeply about the inner life of a few special persons, or about a favorite cause in the world at large. And their great passion is to heal the conflicts that trouble individuals, or that divide groups, and thus to bring wholeness, or health, to themselves, their loved ones, and their community.

I am very shy and distant around others, (Moon in Pisces square Neptune) and (Sun - Saturn across the Asc/Dsc).

I am very caring but I only show it to people I feel comfortable with. My favourite cause is astrology, it can have a widespread effect on people's lives. I hate to see people hurting or in pain, and try to offer words comfort. I like a positive atmosphere and try to create lots of mental stimulation, but now and again a conflict appears, and I am not the best peacemaker. Jupiter in 11th, Sun in Pisces, Moon - Mercury conjunct in Pisces in the 7th house square Neptune in 4th and Mars in Aquarius square Uranus - for conflict in groups.

Healers have a profound sense of idealism that comes from a strong personal sense of right and wrong. They conceive of the world as an ethical, honorable place, full of wondrous possibilities and potential goods. In fact, to understand Healers, we must understand that their deep commitment to the positive and the good is almost boundless and selfless, inspiring them to make extraordinary sacrifices for someone or something they believe in. Set off from the rest of humanity by their privacy and scarcity (around one percent of the population), Healers can feel even more isolated in the purity of their idealism.

This is very true, High in Neptune, Mars in Aquarius, Jupiter in 11th, 7th house planets.

Also, Healers might well feel a sense of separation because of their often misunderstood childhood. Healers live a fantasy-filled childhood-they are the prince or princess of fairy tales-an attitude which, sadly, is frowned upon, or even punished, by many parents. With parents who want them to get their head out of the clouds, Healers begin to believe they are bad to be so fanciful, so dreamy, and can come to see themselves as ugly ducklings. In truth, they are quite OK just as they are, only different from most others-swans reared in a family of ducks.

Yep Moon/Mercury in Pisces square Neptune again, for fantasy, and for misunderstandings.
At work, Healers are adaptable, welcome new ideas and new information, are patient with complicated situations, but impatient with routine details. Healers are keenly aware of people and their feelings, and relate well with most others. Because of their deep-seated reserve, however, they can work quite happily alone. When making decisions, Healers follow their heart not their head, which means they can make errors of fact, but seldom of feeling.

I like new information chart ruler Mercury trine Uranus in 3rd. I am o.k with details Saturn rising in Virgo, I can work laboriously on the mental level. I need to relate well to others and their feelings, it's part of my astrological contract. The Pisces 7th house stuff again (I do have other planets :biggrin:).

They have a natural interest in scholarly activities and demonstrate, like the other Idealists, a remarkable facility with language. They have a gift for interpreting stories, as well as for creating them, and thus often write in lyric, poetic fashion. Frequently they hear a call to go forth into the world and help others, a call they seem ready to answer, even if they must sacrifice their own comfort.

Well yes I am quite the scholar in my circle of friends. I am quite remarkable in fact, I speak English and Astrolo-gese. Quite the double tongue. I am still waiting for the call, and will face my destiny.

Saturn rising in 1st midpoint Sun/Mars. Mercury trine Uranus in 3rd. Moon conjunct Mercury according to Charles Carter possess high intelligence :whistling:. It's just a pity I am a fool, and it's wasted on me :biggrin:.

Overall it is quite true.

bluemascara

I believe a preference for perceiving may apply to fire signs in general--particularly to Aries and Sagittarius. Leo may be influenced the fixed modality of its sign. Perceiving may also be a characteristic of the mutable signs--but not so much of Virgo.

Arian Maverick

Yeah i definitely think you're right. P's tend to keep things flexible and open, are also frequent procrastinators. J's like schedules and deadlines and getting things done early and in a certain order. Virgo would most often be a J but i think some Aries types would also be J's because of getting things done quickly and getting things over with. Leo could prolly go either way...Sagittarius in most cases seems like a definite P. Overall, water emphasized in the chart would probably surely mean an F over a T. With that one, i feel like a fire emphasis could go either way but an Air or Earth emphasis would equal a T. It's really interesting, my two close friends and I took the test recently. I'm not sure about the

One friend was and ESTJ. She has Sun,Mercury, and Venus in aquarius,and Mars in Taurus, moon in cancer. Ascendant in Scorpio. The other friend came out ENFP and she's a Scorpio sun w/ a Gemini Asc, Moon in cancer, Merc +Venus in Libra and Mars in Pisces. Her F comes from the fact that cancer is on the first house i guess.

Also, I don't think top/bottom heavy necessarily plays a part in intro/extroversion. My chart is mostly bottom but i'm very extroverted.

P.S arian maverick, I think you def chose F.

emotionality

I have gone from and ENFP to an ENFJ to an ISFP and most recently INFJ.
50%(E)/50%(I) , 25%(S)/75%(N) ,100%(F) and 50% (J)/50%(P) by the results which is pretty much how I have tested percentage -wise (ty Jenna) :D
Different tests at different times in my life.I score pretty much in the middle of everything but feeling which I score across the board lol Which I attribute to my moon being the handle of my bucket chart as well as my only earth (besides mc & chiron).My chart has progressed some from Libra into Scorpio so perhaps that reflects my moving from being more E into being more I :D

Last edited:

Capricornius_Aquarius

I really don't know how to do this (I am new),but I am an ISFP.

Introverted-Without my little GMT thing that I have learned about,I am traditionaly Virgo rising,with a Caner moon (opposite Neptune).

Sensing-Again,moon in Cancer,extremely intuitive.

Feeling-I assume again that this is the Cancer moon,or the sidereal Capricorn sun sign.

Perceiving-I can assume that this could be another Cancer moon,maybe with mars in Pisces,but yet again,I am new here.

Arian Maverick

Hello, again! :happy:

In the thread The REAL Personality Types Made Relevant, a user mentioned the connection between the Myers-Briggs Personality Types and the classic temperaments of astrology. I was intrigued by this idea, and I found a website that appears to make connections between them.

ISTJ: "The classic temperament of an ISTJ is Epimethean, or Melancholic, for whom a basic driving force is duty, service and the need to belong."

ISFJ: "The classic temperament of an ISFJ is Epimethean, or Melancholic, for whom a basic driving force is duty, service and the need to belong."

INFJ: "The classic temperament of an INFJ is Apollonian, or Choleric, for whom a basic driving force is the search for meaning or purpose."

INTJ: "The classic temperament of an INTJ is Promethean, or Phlegmatic, for whom a basic driving force is the search for competence or excellence."

ISTP: "The classic temperament of an ISTP is Dionesian, or Sanguine, for whom freedom is a basic driving force - seeking to enjoy the present."

ISFP: "The classic temperament of an ISFP is Dionesian, or Sanguine, for whom freedom from constraint is a basic driving force - seeking to enjoy the present."

INFP: "The classic temperament of an INFP is Apollonian, or Choleric, for whom a basic driving force is the search for meaning or purpose."

INTP: "The classic temperament of an INTP is Promethean, or Phlegmatic, for whom a basic driving force is the search for competence or excellence."

ESTP
: "The classic temperament of an ESTP is Dionesian, or Sanguine, for whom freedom is a basic driving force - seeking to experience and enjoy life."

ESFP: "The classic temperament of an ESFP is Dionesian, or Sanguine, which seeks to be free from constraint, seeking to enjoy the present, and tending to act on impulse."

ENFP: "The classic temperament of an ENFP is Apollonian, or Choleric, for whom a basic driving force is the search for meaning or purpose."

ENTP: "The classic temperament of an ENTP is Promethean, or Phlegmatic, for whom a basic driving force is the search for competence or excellence."

ESTJ: "The classic temperament of an ESTJ is Epimethean, or Melancholic, for whom a basic driving force is duty, service and belonging."

ESFJ: "The classic temperament of an ESFJ is Epimethean, or Melancholic, for whom a basic driving force is duty, service and the desire to belong."

ENFJ: "The classic temperament of an ENFJ is Apollonian, or Choleric, for whom a basic driving force is the search for meaning or purpose."

ENTJ: "The classic temperament of an ENTJ is Promethean, or Phlegmatic, for whom a basic driving force is the search for competence or excellence."

Here's an article about astrological temperaments, for those who may desire a refreshor: Temperament: Astrology's Forgotten Key

Also, here's a helpful chart:

Aries: Choleric

Taurus: Melancholy

Gemini: Sanguine

Cancer: Phlegmatic

Leo: Choleric

Virgo: Melancholic

Libra: Sanguine

Scorpio: Phlegmatic

Sagittarius: Choleric

Capricorn: Melancholic

Aquarius: Sanguine

Pisces: Phlegmatic

INFP: "The classic temperament of an INFP is Apollonian, or Choleric, for whom a basic driving force is the search for meaning or purpose."

I know this isn't the most scientific way of doing things, but I find it pretty cool that I have an Aries stellium (fire element has choleric temperament), and my personality type also has a choleric temperament. Although if I utilize the "formula" described in the article I linked to, I seem to have a fair amount of sanguine in me, as well.

I'm currently reading the book Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type, and this book divides the 16 types into four categories:

• Traditionalists (Sensing Judgers): ESTJ, ISTJ, ESFJ, ISFJ
  • Experiencers (Sensing Perceivers): ESTP, ISTP, ESFP, ISFP
  • Idealists (iNtuitive Feelers): ENFJ, INFJ, ENFP, INFP
  • Conceptualizers (iNtuitive Thinkers): ENTJ, INTJ, ENTP, INTP
Traditionalists seem to correspond with the melancholic element.

Experiencers seem to correspond with the sanguine element.

Idealists seem to correspond with the choleric element.

Conceptualizers seem to correspond with the phlegmatic element.

I resonated the most with the description of Idealists; indeed, I am almost certain that I am one of these four personality types.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Niplan

Banned
This whole personality type test, came from temperment, Temperment study is already there. Its already in classical astrology. The person who linked the phleg, cholic, melc, and sanguine took them from temperments and linked them up.

This isn't something new :( that person just took them from the temperment analysys.

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

I am aware that temperaments are not new, but I am fascinated by their connection to this system of psychological personality testing--even if this system is based upon temperaments. Surely there is nothing wrong with this?

Arian Maverick

Niplan

Banned
I just don't understand why you would want to, its already been done. You could make it easier on your self rather then devising a new system. Just seems like your doing more work then you need to.

windwispers

Hello arian maverick,
I score as an INFP.
Astrologically speaking, I share my libra asc. and moon placements, cancer MC and mars in saggitarius with NicholasH, who, like me, although more extroverted, shares the Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving typology.

Like archergirl, who also scored as an INFP, my mercury is in the sign of capricorn, in the third house along with saturn. There is also much focus of energy within the third and twelfth houses.

Similar to your natal chart I share a concentration of planets in the left hemisphere, which, as you say, generally produces introversion.
I agree that sensing and intuition are very difficult to choose between, but every time I take this tests, and others similar to it, my intuitive skills seem to outweigh my sensing skills (everytime I've scored as INFP except once, and I've taken the test on seven different occasions.)
My Moon and Asc. are within the same sign, so they share similar qualities and expressions, although they are nowhere near conjunct each other as yours are.

Perceiving, as you say, may be linked to fire signs, but there is VERY little fire within my chart... my mars in saggitarius stands alone. Maybe that's where its power lies though... it is virtually unaspected, except for the sextile it makes to my asc.

ShiningRay(also an INFP), and I both have a moon-neptune square although in different signs. He and I also share a third house uranus.

Your information states that INFP is associated with the choleric element, which I find truly fascinating, since, as I have mentioned previously, I have very little fire within my chart, aside from my unaspected saggitarian mars.... which may prove to be a little more powerful than I thought:joyful:

Well, I just thought I'd gather and sort what similarities I saw between myself and other INFP types... feel free to decipher what you can from this, if you'd like :smile:
my chart is on my profile if you want to take a look.
-wind

waybread

Having taken this M-B test twice (and scored once as an INTP and once as an INTJ) I find this thread very interesting. Psychologist Carl Jung, upon whose work the M-B test was developed, also studied astrology.

The INTP/INTJ crew are fairly rare, but they sound pretty Virgoan to me. I have Virgo rising, with Saturn in Virgo in the 12th. My sun and moon placements, however, would seemingly show a much more extroverted and playful personality. So I wonder what the M-B results would show: the rising sign, or something else?