Is (UT) time used with transits?

Luney

Could someone please clarify for me..please

I have an app (time passengers that gives me a different set of planetary degrees than the one on the Astro weekly and cafe astrology (Placidius)
Astro weekly uses (UT) time for transits..

Time Passengers uses a gps and gives me a different reading..and set of aspects..using my latitude/longitude ..
I hope this isn't a stupid question..
What would be the best and most accurate transit calculation ?
why are they so different?
I hope this makes sense .. :cool:

I'm thinking the app isn't working correctly...

Appreciate your help!

Last edited:

miquar

Hi Luney.

The celestial longitude and declination of a celestial body at a given moment in time are the same for all locations on Earth. It is only the positions of diurnal factors such as the angles, other house cusps and Arabic lots that are dependent on location.

I think most printed ephemerides these days use ephemeris time (ET) which differs from universal time (UT) by about one minute. But software will do the conversion if necessary, so that is not relevant here.

It is possible that the software you mention is not set to take into account daylight saving time, or that it is using the wrong time zone for some
reason. What is the difference between, say, the celestial longitude (zodiacal position) on the app and on the more reputable sources?

Best wishes

Miquar

miquar

Sorry - was meant to read "...celestial longitude (zodiacal position) of the Sun on the app and on the more reputable sources?"

Luney

Thanks Miquar ☺️

I contacted the developer of the app and yes there is a bug that he said is fixed now... it wasnt showing all of my aspects for the day or long term aspects.
As they were on astrology cafe and astro.com
Now it seems fixed.. but the app is lacking a lot of important things that they claimed the app had. and their website is lousy as well..they want money for simple things you can easy find for free elsewhere.

I hope to learn a lot here and I do a lot of research on the web sites.

I thank you for replying.. you answered that question for me !
Much appreciated ..🌈

Luney

Sorry - was meant to read "...celestial longitude (zodiacal position) of the Sun on the app and on the more reputable sources?"
yes they use a GPS to find your location at the time of transit.. The GPS could have had something to do with it.. Ill keep an eye on it, see if it's keeping up to date.. ☺️

I use time passages too. I've found it more accurate than the other sites, for me at least. I had a pluto transit recently and I could literally feel it when it went exact, I wondered what was up and if I had any strange transits happening so I checked the app, and yep, there it was lol. I think the only difference is that its set up to tell you your local time at the time the transit occurs. The other sites don't take your current location into account, so they just use universal time. I've never noticed more than a 1 degree difference at most, I'm assuming its because of location/time zones?

Luney

I use time passages too. I've found it more accurate than the other sites, for me at least. I had a pluto transit recently and I could literally feel it when it went exact, I wondered what was up and if I had any strange transits happening so I checked the app, and yep, there it was lol. I think the only difference is that its set up to tell you your local time at the time the transit occurs. The other sites don't take your current location into account, so they just use universal time. I've never noticed more than a 1 degree difference at most, I'm assuming its because of location/time zones?

I've been going back and forth to the other sites and came to the same conclusion . That from where I'm standing, the GPS gives me an exact forecast . Thats why I thought aspects were missing. then there were aspects on time passengers that didn't show on other sites. I love the app .:biggrin:
The only thing that's not supported is the asteroid aspects. but it does give detail when looking at the planet section. I guess I have to use by brain at some point!