Are you a better astrologer than this one?

Leontine

I once consulted an astrologer, hoping she could shed som light on both my past and my future. I was very disapointed, because she mainly focused on my personality - wich is not that much of a mystery to me:D
She was very vague about my past, and most of the things she mentioned was not even close to reality.
Anyway; after the consultation, I tried to figure out a couple of things on my own, studying solar returns and to some extent solar arcs, but I never really got my brain around progressions. Not sure why, really.
I know astrologers can point out important events in a persons life looking at progressions, but I think I've got some sort of progressiondyslecsia or something:D
Now, I don't want to be one of those "can you please read my chart for free without me having to do anything" persons, but I came up with a thought:
Would anyone be interested in taking a look at my past, using progressions, and point out what they see as important events? Do NOT point out the astrological reasons, thats for me to figure out. Just time and event. It strikes me as a good way of learning progressions.

My data: 30 July 1971, 16.12 (4.12 pm) Lillehammer, Norway. PS: The astrologer I consulted used Koch housesystem, because I was born in the north. I've used it myself ever since - always thinking it represented me most, exept when it comes to progressions for some reason.

Anyone interested? Thank you so much in advance:)

prettypiscesxoxo

Leontine said:
I once consulted an astrologer, hoping she could shed som light on both my past and my future. I was very disapointed, because she mainly focused on my personality - wich is not that much of a mystery to me:D
She was very vague about my past, and most of the things she mentioned was not even close to reality.
Anyway; after the consultation, I tried to figure out a couple of things on my own, studying solar returns and to some extent solar arcs, but I never really got my brain around progressions. Not sure why, really.
I know astrologers can point out important events in a persons life looking at progressions, but I think I've got some sort of progressiondyslecsia or something:D
Now, I don't want to be one of those "can you please read my chart for free without me having to do anything" persons, but I came up with a thought:
Would anyone be interested in taking a look at my past, using progressions, and point out what they see as important events? Do NOT point out the astrological reasons, thats for me to figure out. Just time and event. It strikes me as a good way of learning progressions.

My data: 30 July 1971, 16.12 (4.12 pm) Lillehammer, Norway. PS: The astrologer I consulted used Koch housesystem, because I was born in the north. I've used it myself ever since - always thinking it represented me most, exept when it comes to progressions for some reason.

Anyone interested? Thank you so much in advance:)

Hello Leotine,

Id liek to try as Im in the process of building an astrology/relationship advice website where I compare people's natal charts - Im much more intuitive & pick up valuable information better in PERSON.

However, it can be emotionally & spiritually draining so Im giving the "website" a try - background info on me: 27, female, from New YORK (USA)- been studying astrology on & off for over 10 years - no formal training- English major in University, which helps with the writing. Also I have been collecting empirical DATA from real people I meet or from friends & family- this gives me a better GRASP on astrological aspects as opposed to books & the internet...

Usually, you need to ask specific questions before a reading- I suggest 3 7 we can work from there- I use astro.com to create an ACCURATE chart, however, I prefer my own UNIQUE interpretaions- this is a passion of mine so I hope you can TRUST be- Im not charging anyone yet although, clients have offered to pay me..POSITIVE sign;-)

Okay, well, send me a private or public response & i can make the reading private if you want too...thanks xo. C*

Leontine

Hello, prettypices! That sounds very exciting! I', going to the countryside for the weekend, without internetconnection, but will visi your site once I'm back.
Thank you for your reply and your offer!

All the best

archergirl

And let's please keep the solicitations to visit other websites to a minimum. There are plenty of astrologers on here who will work completely voluntarily.:rolleyes:

AG:)

cassanra

Bob replied to one of my questions on progressions and it was really extensive on how to figure out meanings from past progressions etc. and how to develop your understanding on your own....it is fairly recent...It has been a project for me but I am beginning to understand as before I had the same progressionslexia that you did. check it out, I think you will benefit. I just had to ask my mom about years some years I was unsure of and that is about it! Well here I am quoting Bob. Hope you don't mind, Bob:
"
People complicate progressions and over analyze them. Rarely do you need to look at anything other than Ptolemaic aspects.

When your Sun moves from Gemini to Cancer, it doesn't mean you become a Cancer, it just means you add a few Cancer traits to your Gemini self. Which traits will depend on what else is happening in your chart. Maybe you become a little more maternal and domestic, but you might also start brooding and become touchy or manipulative, or maybe not.

You should only have to do a progressed chart once, or maybe twice, and then refer to it from time to time (a few times a year, not a few times an hour).

The best thing to do is get you a spreadsheet, word processor or a legal pad and some crayons and make up a little chart. Put some columns in, Age, Year, Planet, Action, Event, Date, and Comments (if your want).

Age always starts with 1 and goes to 120. Are you going to live to 120 years? No, but the planets don't stop orbiting when you die. Does your estate end up in probate, children fighting over your will, spouse remarries, you end up famous or whatever can all be answered. Are you going to be cremated? Pluto/Fire/4th. That doesn't appear to be you, but if it did, and you don't want to be cremated, better make some provisions in your will (it'll probably happen anyway). Are your ashes going to end up on the mantle of someone's fireplace, at a masoleum or scattered in the sea? That answer's there too. Little Caylee has Pluto/Fire/4th and not just that, but Pluto in Sagittarius(Fire) in the 4th. It'll be some time before they find her. There's a group of Belgian and German civilians who have a hobby of hunting down dead US soldiers. They do it in gratitude for a debt owed to America. Even though the soldiers died in December 1944 during the Battle of the Bulge, their charts live on and 60 years later their progressed Uranus came into aspect with natal Pluto on the dates their bodies were discovered. Pretty amazing. I have an MIA bracelet from back in the 1980s, and that guy has air signs galore. His body will never be found.

Grab an ephemeris and using a pencil, mark off 10 day increments from the day after your birth date (the day of your birth to the next day is year 0). Start with the Sun and mark down in the Action column each year (a day is equal to a year) the Sun changes signs or houses, or aspects a natal planet or a progressed planet. You can develop your own little short-hand for notation. Use different colors if you want. Skip the Moon and do the same for Mercury, except also record each time it changes direction. Do that for the rest of the planets. Use Ptolemaic aspects only and exact orb.

After you do that, look at the daily motion of the planets. The Sun moves about 1° per day. Divided by 12 means the Sun moves about 5' per month. If the Sun moves 15' to make an exact aspect, then it took 3 months do to that, so add 3 months to your birth month, which would make it mid-September of that year. Venus moves 1°12' per day, which means progressed Venus moves 6' per month. If Venus has to travel 60' to make an exact aspect, then it took 11 months, so add that to your birth month, which makes it mid-May of that year.

The Outers don't hardly move at all, but sometimes they change direction, and sometimes they move to form an exact aspect with a natal planet, so note those things if they happen.

Once you do that, go back and try to match the dates with significant events. An "event" in a progressed chart can be mental, emotional or physical. You sprained your pinky when you were 4 years old. Not a significant event. But it hurt. Who cares? You fell out of a tree and broke your arm. Sorry, not a significant event. You fell out of a tree, broke your arm, and had to have 3 surgeries to repair the damage. Now maybe you're talking significant event. Auntie Em died when you were 3. Not a significant event. In high school, someone died in a car accident. Not a significant event. You sat by the person in study hall once. So? You're best friend dies in a car accident, that's significant. Parents divorce, die, leave, a parent remarries, the parent you're staying with has a live-in, those are significant. Your sibling is born. Not significant. You're 12 and staying with your father who remarries and his new wife has a child, that could be significant (it could be traumatic for a single child who is spoiled). Your progressed chart isn't going to show you every time you had a bowel movement, or went on a date, or changed hair styles, or after shave, or stopped liking one musical group and started liking another or other mundane things like that. Just things that have an impact on you and helped define who you are.

Once you have your events listed, check the transits happening in that period. That will help with timing events in the future. Your chart says 1:21, but it could have been 1:21:55, which is not the same as 1:21. It isn't really a big deal, but it can throw off the timing a wee bit and it is important if the event in question is a physical one. In addition to timing events, it'll show you how to integrate the transits and progressions and their signs, houses and aspects to the natal planets.

To save you some time, Solar Return charts are not compatible with transits or progressions. You read a Solar Return Chart against a Natal Chart only. You can progress a Solar Return Chart, but you have to do it by hand, and it's incredibly time consuming because it's hit or miss and you need Koch's Table of Houses so you can calculate (by hand) a new MC, Ascendant and house cusps to see when a house cusp might conjunct a solar return planet, then use some mathematical acrobatics to figure out what the real date is."

Last edited: