Progressed Ascendant - How to

Advaitha

Hi all,
Was playing with Solar Fire and there seems to be a few methods to progress angels. The predominant ones seem to be 'Naibod in RA' and 'SA in Long'.
Which one has worked for you in your experience? I know in the US we use (mostly) SA in Longitude, and most europian countries use the Nabod method. both seem to be about 3 degrees apart (Naibod being behind, when the progressed chart is calculated for the birth place).
This might not be a big deal if both show up in the same sign (unless aspecting a natal planet, hence creating an event), but very tricky when those 3 degrees fall in different signs. my prog. asc shows up 29 pisces by Naibod method and 4 degrees in Aries by SA in long.
any insights are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
P.S I am aware of the 'use the one that works best for you' method. :) Trying to figure out which method has been most successful and satisfactory to folks.

BobZemco

Trying to figure out which method has been most successful and satisfactory to folks.

The one that works best.

There's a reason Europeans use Naibod, and that has to do with the fact that most of Europe is north of Latitude 40°. The vast majority of the US States are south of Latitude 40°. The Sun's apparent motion at the Equator isn't the same as at or near the Poles.

If you're getting variances it could be for a number of reasons. Your birth time could be off by 1 to 4 minutes (or more). It could also be you aren't taking into account the speed of your natal Sun. If you're using Solar Fire, I think on the preferences menu you can choose "natal solar rate" or something like that. Depending on the season and latitude in which you were born, your Sun could be thumping along at 1°01'16" per day or as slow as 56'06" per day. The average motion is somewhere around 58' to 59' per day. Obviously that will affect the Ascendant arc.

You can use an ephemeris and figure your average daily motion of the Sun and use that as a User Directed Rate.

If your Sun's average daily motion is the same as the Naibod Rate, then no doubt Naibod will "seem" to work for you in the same way that if the average daily motion of your Sun is 1° then a rate of 1° per year will also "seem" to work. You can also try the Solar Arc in Right Ascension instead of Longitude to see how that works out.

Advaitha

Hi Bob,
Thank you so much for explaining that to me. Much appreciated.
Indeed my natal solar rate was +1°01' (per solar fire).

I changed the option 'rate for Primary directions' to 'Natal solar rate' and get the same results. Naibod is at 29°Pisces24' and SA in Long is 4°Aries6'.
Solar Arc in RA is at 3°8'.
I am stumped. Understand they all use different calculations (calculate solar arc and move MC for those many degrees, or calculate the Solar arc and find the MC for that time and the Ascendant, etc).
My Ascendant time is pretty accurate. Even if its not, I am using the same time in different calculations (and also the natal solar rate, as you mentioned), which still gets me different signs!

The problem is I dont know which ones to apply!

To me, piscean energy is so subdued and addicitive. I get agitated and impatient more, so perhaps I am becoming (acquiring) more Aries energy? But I still have my addictions (cigarette smoking) which I started even before either Naibod or SA in Long progressed ascendant, both were still in Aquarius!
I am from India and I am using latitude 17N28.
What worked for you? should people born in different geographical locations use different methods ? (Naibod vs SA in Long vs SA in RA)?

Thanks again for your explanations. learnt a new trick in Solar Fire!

Last edited:

BobZemco

The problem is I dont know which ones to apply!

If you have Planets in the 1st/2nd or 7th/8th Houses in the natal chart, then the Asc/Dsc should have contacted them by conjunction.

Look for an event. The event may not necessarily have a profound impact (it could be subtle) depending on the natal Planet contacted.

For example, 7th House Ruler, maybe you met someone, anyone who became involved in your life in some role. 9th House Ruler, maybe you applied or were accepted at university or relocated to another region or country, 6th House Ruler, maybe a minor illness or injury (or if 6th House Ruler in bad aspect with 8th or 12th House Rulers maybe a major illness or injury).

I use SA in RA because it fits events precisely for me.

Kannon

Hi all,
Was playing with Solar Fire and there seems to be a few methods to progress angels. The predominant ones seem to be 'Naibod in RA' and 'SA in Long'.
Which one has worked for you in your experience? I know in the US we use (mostly) SA in Longitude, and most europian countries use the Nabod method. both seem to be about 3 degrees apart (Naibod being behind, when the progressed chart is calculated for the birth place).
This might not be a big deal if both show up in the same sign (unless aspecting a natal planet, hence creating an event), but very tricky when those 3 degrees fall in different signs. my prog. asc shows up 29 pisces by Naibod method and 4 degrees in Aries by SA in long.
any insights are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
P.S I am aware of the 'use the one that works best for you' method. :) Trying to figure out which method has been most successful and satisfactory to folks.

Advaitha,

I would advise that you simply not concern yourself with progressed angles until you have a verified chart that is correct to within minutes of arc. Otherwise, you'll get only misleading information from such progressions. Once you verify an accurate chart, then the Naibod method will give the most accurate timing, as established by master astrologer John Willner. I don't use this method because the software I use doesn't give me the option, but it is the most accurate method in fine-tuned timing.

progressed planets/charts are more 'internal' changes, evolvements rather than 'events or external' matters. I don't read prog charts as stand alones it's more important to see where these planets are moving in the natal chart

Your natal chart is like a photograph as unique as your fingerprint, BUT the 10planets in the sky have not stayed where they were in your natal chart, they have all moved. Predictive astrology is mostly maths where those 10planets are now and the mathematical aspects they make to your natal charts ie: 180'=opposition, 90'=square, 60'=sextile and 120'=trine.

So your personality, grows, develops, changes, matures as we get older, this is reflected by your sun sign changing from it's natal position to the next sign along, so does your Asc and MC sign change. In fact from sun to mars especially are important, as the outer planets really don't move much, using a 'day for a year' secondary progressions.

What's the difference between Transits and Progressions?
“Transits are the planets currently orbiting in the sky and the relationships they form to each other and additionally, to your chart. Transits happen for everyone. They're important and effect you personally when they contact a planet or point in your chart. Transits represent outside energy, things happening outside yourself. They describe external events and your responses to them. Progressions, however, move very slowly and are a natural progression of your original birth chart. The events and emotions they describe are part of you, deeply ingrained in your psyche, internal, and psychological. And as they form aspects, these inner feelings start to become more important and central to your life”

http://www.artcharts.com/learn_astrology/progressed.html

If you want to research more into Secondary progressions try here
http://cafeastrology.com/secondaryprogressions.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_progression
http://www.aquamoonlight.co.uk/progressions.html
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67
http://www.khaldea.com/rudhyar/astroarticles/progressionsinastrology.php
http://www.aquamoonlight.co.uk/progressions.html
http://astrolmass.com/progressions.htm

The most important of progressed planets is of course, sun & moon and then upto mars, as the outer planets hardly move by progression. Now like with transits, solar arcs --- it's what these progressed planets are doing NOW by mathematical aspect to your natal planets and Angles that is ultimately important.

Also I would take this opportunity to mention there is a ‘plethora’ of information in every forum top, called 'stickys' which cover, explain in great depth what each forum is all about, plus we have an Education forum for further research..