The Cold Face of Uranus

I am starting to feel sorry for poor old Uranus.....he is not the cause of the disassociation of the modern world.....that started along time ago in my book.
For starters we are no longer the tribal people we used to be....the industrial revolution started that...people left home to find work to make money.....if anything money is the reason for the world in the state its in. what planet rules that?
I would be sitting here in my home the majority of the time with my son, regardless of the computer.....money is my barrier there. Tv in my opinion has had a far worse effect I believe.....have you ever watched a person watching tv......it doesnt look normal, the zoned out expression etc
I have learnt so much on the computer since sept last year when i was connected to the internet ....(only owned a computer since july 07), it has given me the option to study from home, find out other peoples opinions, and allowed my knowledge to grow exponentially........I can find out information that allow my home liffe to benefit.....(for example i just looked up how to make rice balls for dinner....a recipe)......great! my family will try something new for dinner tonight.....
I think the world was a cold place before any of the devices linking to uranus were here....we left our tribal groups....for money and betterment.....simple........
i think these devices are bringing those of us that are really seperated, together in the things we enjoy.....this forum for example..
As much as this thread has gone on for 4 pages, iam not convinced by some of the comments here............not sure what else to say........but i really can hardly believe that uranus is the only cuprit here.......even though everything has duality..........
I would be somewhat alone with or without the computer......do you get what i am saying.

Last edited:
I get what your saying........I dont think the people though that cut themselves of from feeling would be out in the world feeling if they didnt want to........if it wasnt computers it would be something else......you get what i mean?

gaer

Shining Ray said:
It's people's use of technology, it is not Uranus' fault we as people express the planet in a collective way. As well as a personal way through the chart. I am more prone to be drawn in the computer than television. All the good things that Uranus brings can still be there. Maybe it is a personal thing with me. I can look at it from a Pisces point of view. Uranus can be expressed either way, most of us are in the middle, maybe not overly humanitarian or even disconnected. Some of us don't have particularly strong Uranus problems, maybe more Neptune or Pluto problems. Uranus rules all technology, and Uranus can disassociate, and cut off. Not Uranus itself but human beings. This is just the cold side of human nature I am seeing through the use of technology. Not all people relate this way. Computers I use for my astrology study, and connecting to this forum mostly, I love computers, astrology, learning fast and so on... but can see in the world how it can be used to cut off from actually feeling life.
There is also the matter of how we feel life, which is dependent upon our personalities!

I tend to live inside my own head, and I think that would be the same if I lived in a tribe, in a small town, or in a big one. I have never really felt connected to humanity as a whole. It's a nice idea, but my friendships have been long-lasting, stable and intense—but few in number.

And this sort of brings us full-circle. I've always loved math, puzzles, intimate discussions about life and the universe and philosphy and art, etc., etc. At college, years ago, it was easy to find other people interested in my rather unusual passions, but as time passed, it became harder and harder.

I learned German on my own, but until the Internet I was unable to talk to people in Germany, to use the language daily in conversations. I've been doing so with at least two people for almost 10 years now.

Same with astrology. I don't know one person in this area who is intensely interested in it. But I've met two people here in the last six months that I can talk to daily, outside this forum.

And Uranus? I still don't know exactly how it ties in with all this, but I'm ready to accept (at least at this time) that it is connected to electronic communication and technology. Perhaps the placement of Uranus in my own chart (10th house), trine to Mercury, and both planets sextile to Saturn in the 12th make this kind of communication feel especially comfortable to me.

But I understand the down-side too. I understand why people who love being around other people, what I call "social animals", can find all this very depressing, because it certainly tempts people to go inside and become less involved with social groups (traditional) and with the earth itself.

I'm divided. If I were very rich, I'd want to live in NYC, but I'd want to vacation frequently in wide-open areas, preferably in moutainous areas.

I'd like to have it all. :)

Since I don't, I'm very thankful for our modern communication possibilities. Perhaps I've just been lucky in meeting people who use it in ways that do not seem impersonal or superficial to me!

Gaer

Kingsley

Found this piece by Llewellyn George

"In Aquarius the Sun gives a quiet, patient, determined, unobtrusive and faithful nature, as a rule. The Aquarian is refined, pleasant, friendly, generous, charitable, dignified and humanitarian; fond of art, music, scenery and literature; cautious, steady, intelligent, intuitive, discriminative, concentrative, studious, thoughtful and philosophical. Good reasoner, practical as well as theoretical; strong likes and dislikes and often with very radical and advanced ideas; is cheerful, sincere and honest, easily influenced by kindness, slow to anger, but will not be driven; loves liberty and is fond of occult research."

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I was watching The Universe (astronomy program that comes on the History channel) and they were discussing space travel. In it, they touched on the critical necessity of separation. It was in the context, obviously, of space travel, but they also used the examples of airplanes and submarines. Obviously, humans traveling in the sky, sea, and space need to be separated from their surroundings and they are always separated by the object in which the voyage is taking place. The differentiation of the sky's pressure and the pressure in the cabin of the airplane protects the commuters while it separates from the sky. If there's a crack in the plane, the pressure is messed up, the airplane blows open, and you die. The differentiation in the sea's pressure and the artificial pressure of the submarine protect the scientists while it separates them from the sea. If there's a crack in the submarine, the water gets in, pressure gets messed up, you get crushed like a tin can or drown and you die. The differentitation in the vacuum of space and the artifical pressure of the space shuttle protects the astronauts while keeping them separated from space. If there's a crack in the space shuttle, the pressure gets messed up, the space shuttle splits and the astronauts explode and die (your body creates pressure naturally and pushes back against the air pressure, in space there is no air pressure, and your body is still pressing out, so you'd burst as there's nothing keeping you back).

So, while you do get to sort of 'enjoy' the majesty of the sky, sea, and space you don't get to participate in it. All you can do is smile at it from the other side of a reinforced window.

All of that to say: Uranus, separation for survival?

No doubt, if given the choice, we'd all prefer to be able to get out and play in the distant sky, deep seas, or outer space and experiance it firsthand, the truth is, we can't. I mean, we could...for about a second before our life ends. But to be able to enjoy these environments, we are forced to take a step back.

Hm...

joannski3

shining ray!!!

How dare you call uranus a cold face ;-) I have to run to work, but i'll answer you more in depth when i get back. i have sun conjunct UR in the first house, and UR people are independent, rebellious, wave makers. You need to embrace your independence, not look at it as a cold planet. Lots of leaders are Uranians. Stand up and be proud! I'll check out the rest of the posts later when i get back, but i had to say something really fast when i saw the title. Did you post your natal chart? i'd be curious to see where you UR is placed and tell you my interpretation.

OR post your natal data, i'll use my SOLAR FIRE to study you UR aspects for your honest feedback please! look forward to hearing from you

Joanna

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
-.-' If we wanted a list of keywords concerning Uranus, we would have just gone to various websites that have them in very, very large quantities. We're trying to move beyond those keywords into something a bit deeper...

Please bear with us...

joannski3

Hi there,

I wanted to join in the UR discussion because its one of my favorite planets. I'd love to get more in depth, I think I mentioned I was on my way to work? I was late but I asked for the birth chart info so I could get more analytical as to how UR played a role in Shining Ray's chart, affecting Ray personally.

I think I mentioned that also. I didn't have the time to read all the posts, I just saw the first post which seemed to me like it listed a bunch of key words.

Anyway, I think you misunderstood my intention. I was basically saying I'd be right back to help out with some better symbolism, but having the birthchart is better because UR of course behaves differently in different houses, unaspected, aspected, depending who is involved. The combinations as you well know are endless.

when I saw cold though, I jumped right away because what comes to mind for me immediately is quite the opposite. What about the 11th house? I think of humanitarians, philanthropists, etc but you'll probably get on me about listing adjectives again?.... you sound a little patronizing. I'm a deeper thinker than "key words" but I'm not psychic. I'd love to help Ray analyze how UR relates, but would like a reference.

joannski3

joannski3 said:
I have to run to work, but i'll answer you more in depth when i get back. Did you post your natal chart? i'd be curious to see where you UR is placed and tell you my interpretation.

I edited the bulk of my post, but this is why my response wasn't deeper 12 hours ago. sheesh

joannski3

Shining Ray said:
I love how astrological charts can be made up fast with computers there is no drawing by hand, so yes effectively we can get through more charts, but sometimes maybe not spend enough time on each chart.

quote]

LOL! My post said that I'd love to look at your chart with Solar Fire! I'm sorry, I didn't read your post properly initially, I read through fast because I love UR and I was immediately drawn to your post, and I saw a couple words about computers and email, mobiles, and thought you were asking how UR related to your chart.

My bad. I guess I'm just looking for someone to experiment on with my new software.:banana:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I'm not patronizing, I'm annoyed. There's a huge difference.

Shining Ray said:
Some people have took the title too literally, I was mostly talking about the computer age today and the way technology can separate personal relating.

But I do think we can take this original concept and go much, much deeper into it.

Gaer mentioned earlier about technology and how it can be used two ways. Sure, it cuts down on the physical side of things. Ray, you and I surely can't go out and discuss Uranus over dinner or something, not because we wouldn't want to, but just because we can't. I mean, I'm sure you'd make an excellent dinner partner and we could have some great conversation, but I'm not sure where you live, however, I'll wager it's not very close to me! ^.^' However, to get the opposite of this, I did meet my boyfriend over the internet. He lives about twenty minutes down the road, but had the internet not brought us together, we probably would have gone the entirety of our lives without knowing the other even existed as our normal routines keep us in two totally different directions.

Personally, I feel the internet can be used as an invaluable tool to relate to people. Unlike in the physical world where biases exist, you might not really want to talk to or get to know someone because of something physical. However, the internet allows us this amazing opportunity to get to know people from the inside out. In most cases, you'll get to know someone's interests, personality, and views on things before you'll ever see them, so you can have some pretty interesting connections with people without any form of bias or anything. Maybe being separated from the physical isn't so bad after all.

Now, as I've said before, I completely agree with the idea of Uranus as a cold and distant planet. You see it operate in too many fashions for this to not be the case. To be 'different' is to be separate. Though, unlike Saturn which keeps us separate, I wonder if Uranus only works as the 'rupture' or 'breaking point' for it. This is something I connect back to the idea of the Kusanagi being connected with Uranus. Swords separate that which once was whole, but Saturn - as its new form - keeps the two halves from mending back together. Something about Uranus that I voiced disapproval of earlier - its association with unexpected things and epiphanies - is something I want to again attempt to denounce. Thanks to Shining Ray's typing effort in the Book Reviews? thread when she was giving me a taste of a Greene book, she mentioned alchemists calling these epiphanies the work of Mercury. Now, not only is Hermes a messenger god, but Mercury also has the astronomical speed to back up this idea. So, I'm wondering what's happened here and what other associations are just a little bit backwards.

Last night a friend and I were discussing Uranian people, and the only person we could really find was FDR. This is a part of our discussion:

MSN-ness said:
"Three important aspects, four with Pallas. Can't check houses for sure, but a time is given, and Uranus, although barely in the 12th, is angular, very close to the 1st."

"Hm hm hm."

"FDR was loved throughout the country. People cried when he died. But people who knew him personally said he was an arrogant SOB."

"Hehehe. See, that's kind of how I think of Uranus sometimes."

"So there you have a perfect example of a person who seemed to really care about humanity, but totally lacked the personal touch."

"Apparently Ouranos was a REAL jerk, but hey, he gives us the rain. WE couldn't survive without it."

Again, the distance is touched on, but a connection in it nonetheless. The sky is very, very high up there. It's not down here on Earth, it's not connected to humanity, but even still the sky gives us what we need without being here. Without the rain, plants can't grow, animals don't eat, life doesn't live very long.

Shining Ray said:
We can enjoy space at a distance. Either through television, or for astronauts in a spacecraft, but always behind a screen. Or in a big spacesuit. We can't go too far into the sea because of pressure, we never really see what lies right at the bottom. Humans have their limits (Saturn).

Exactly, and it's what made me wonder if Uranus must be distant in order to survive (well, this is obvious, had Ouranos stuck around Kronus probably would have killed him) or in order for us to survive. Caution isn't something that is usually associated with Uranus, but maybe this caution of allowing something to be close to it is exactly what Uranus is about.

joanskii3 said:
What about the 11th house? I think of humanitarians, philanthropists, etc but you'll probably get on me about listing adjectives again?

No, but I will get on you for bringing the Eleventh house into the discussion. This is a discussion about Uranus. Not the Eleventh house and not Aquarius. They are all very separate entities and I feel we should treat them as such without bringing one into the discussion of the other in an attempt to protect a view of the other. However, since you did bring it up to back up your idea of Uranus not being cold or distant, I feel I should use it in the same manner to back up my idea of Uranus being cold and distant. The Eleventh house is that of benefactors, people who assist us. I mean, I guess it could be seen as humanitarians, sure, why not? That's a debate for an entirely different thread, so I won't be nit-picky. However, benefactors in the usual sense give what? Money. They don't give their time and effort, but they do donate their money either to other people or to projects or charities. So, to construct this with a metaphor you have the benefactors (the sky) who are not involved with the people, project, or charity (distance of the sky from the Earth), but who are, however, giving life to the people, project, or charity by donating to them their money (the rain).

I like it.

magj-kat

Kingsley said:
Found this piece by Llewellyn George

"In Aquarius the Sun gives a quiet, patient, determined, unobtrusive and faithful nature, as a rule. The Aquarian is refined, pleasant, friendly, generous, charitable, dignified and humanitarian; fond of art, music, scenery and literature; cautious, steady, intelligent, intuitive, discriminative, concentrative, studious, thoughtful and philosophical. Good reasoner, practical as well as theoretical; strong likes and dislikes and often with very radical and advanced ideas; is cheerful, sincere and honest, easily influenced by kindness, slow to anger, but will not be driven; loves liberty and is fond of occult research."

WOW..Kingsley...AQ/SUN sounds almost perfect..to me!..hmmm.
Moon/AQ here 5th...UR sq NEP....altho I am leo/sun...I have always felt very Aquarian...people have mentioned I have a very futuristic outlook on life..and I must say..I am not interested in anything 3D anymore...other than maybe nature/ music/art.
Other Aquarians I know, seem to have a somewhat galactic consciousness, I find them fascinating..as far as Uranus...a very unusual energy...perhaps.. misunderstood at best...the mystical...far searching..genius.

I don't think Uranians are cold...just pre-occupied.

Last edited:

gaer

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
Last night a friend and I were discussing Uranian people, and the only person we could really find was FDR. This is a part of our discussion:
Here is a bit more about Franklin Delano Roosevelt:

Uranus trine Jupiter/Neptune
Uranus, if the birthtime given is correct, in the 12th house but very close to the AC.
Sun, Mercury, Venus in Aquarius
Mars in Gemini

So Uranus is at least well aspected and close to the AC, and three planets are in Aquarius.
Four are in air.

Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Pluto are all in Taurus. Uranus is in Virgo. AC is Virgo.

Of the traditional seven planets plus the three outers, everything is air or earth except the Moon in Cancer.

I'm not sure we can find anyone who is more typically "Aquarian" who also reflects the "cold face of Uranus", and it is interesting to note that FDR was much more popular with the masses than with people who knew him personally.

He also used mass communication (radio) effectively (fireside chats).

On one hand, he might have seemed much warmer to people who knew him intimately if he had not projected a certain kind of distance (coldness).

On the other hand, what we might refer to as "coldness" or "distance" may be what is necessary to view humanity as a whole and make decisions that are sweeping and necessary, at least at certain times.

I don't think we are going to be able to completely separate planets from signs, or in this case Uranus from Aquarius, for one important reason: IF Aquarius and Uranus are closely related (which is just one thing that is being debated), we should be able to make a case for both Aquarius AND Uranus being strong in charts as being very important.

I know that remains a big "if". :)

If, however, they are not connected, then we would have to try to study charts in which Uranus is dominant by aspect, house (such as looking for anglular positions), etc., and that is going to be very difficult.

I think that is why this thread has developed so slowly but continues to attract new posts; the nature of the "outers" is so difficult to pin down. :)

joannski3

How does one get annoyed with an internet stranger? Sorry for annoying you, but houses are important because they do have planetary rulers, i'm sure if you were to look in a book of keywords, things aquarian and 11th house would coincide with uranus. I have the Rex E Bills book, i'll look later, and if i'm wrong i'll admit to it and apologize again.

Anyway, i did post a little later, apologzing a second time for reading the post wrong i'm guessing its the mercury Rx.

***stepping out again*** try not to get annoyed, its silly and a waste of energy. devote your energy to your discussion, you have some good ideas.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I'm not annoyed at you or really at anyone specifically. I'm annoyed because the thread's title is 'The Cold Face of Uranus' wherein one would expect a discussion of Uranus, whether it be his supposed cold face or anything else related to his personality.

Things Aquarian and the Eleventh house do not relate to Uranus in this fashion. Okay, sure, some of the things they represent match up, but they are not carbon copies of one another and it's really why I dislike a lot of modern astrological techniques. I've ranted about it before, you can look it up, I call it the X=Y=Z mentality wherein X is a planet, Y is a house, and Z is a Sign. Such as in this particular case Uranus=Eleventh=Aquarius. Where instead of three things we get one. Which is ridiculous.

Fantastic if things coincide with one another. But the idea of "Oh, the Eleventh house deals with blah blah blah" or "Aquarius deals with blah blah blah so therefore Uranus must also have to do with this" is just sloppy astrology. The Outer planets are Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. Not Aquranus, Nepisces, and Plorpio.

Houses are houses, planets are planets, Signs are Signs. When discussing their personalities and influences, it's best to keep them separate. Apparently this is a concept that is most foreign. Houses do have planetary rulers, but even then you'll find conflicting views as to what those actually are. For instance, you say Uranus rules the Eleventh, I say it's Sol that co-signifies this house. See? It just gets confusing dragging in other things, hoping to keep it simple and efficient by cutting out all the useless banter about Aquarius and the Eleventh and how their meaning something supposedly cements the association with Uranus as well.

It may be 'silly', but I get frustrated when there is no progress and we seem to keep backtracking.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Well, that's really what I feel they've become now. They're no longer separate entities...they're just half planet/half sign Frankenstien's creatures.

I'm very passionate about this, if you all hadn't noticed. :D

joannski3

Okie, got the book out. Although humanitarians are categorized under uranus, you are right with your proof about money being 'cold' not affection being delivered.

Immediately 'friends' came to mind- not to try and prove you wrong, but because I hadn't thought of Uranus as being 'cold' before, and excuse me for being literal. I am excited because I feel like I'm growing and developing, nurturing if you will my Uranus side- which IS actually cold and impersonal to everyone EXCEPT myself. I was being selfish, nurturing MY needs without worrying about others, which is why I didn't see how being cold had anything to do with it.

Example that is not too deep but pertains to you is the discussion here- although Ray was kind enough to invite me to stay, it was "random" if you will that I left a message that had nothing to do with what you were talking about. For some reason I don't like deleting messages, but if you want me to, I can- it doesn't hurt my feelings. Instinctively though, the first thing I thought of was how does this discussion pertain to ME? because as I enthusiastically mentioned, I have my Sun conjunct Uranus in the 1st house exact :). In fact, its the closest aspect my sun makes, the other orbs are kinda wide. The point is, Uranus is selfish and impersonal, random and impulsive if you will and I left my post without taking the time to think about what I was posting, reading what was being talked about. However, in a way, even if you find it annoying (sometimes UR manifests itself as a nuisance) its a little ironic that you get a random out of place post in the UR discussion from a Uranus person. I read an article on UR people in moutain astrologer last summer- it was the issue with Eris on the cover for those of you who read it- and there was a wonderful article in it about Uranian people. They actually had some real wacked-out theories I remember one of them was we were literally from another planet! how even as children, the Uranian kids just never quite fit in, are never really understood. Lots of mention of outerspace with Uranus.

Also, in my life- (sorry to talk about me, I also have mercury conjunct Asc) I am going through some progressions right now- progressed Uranus is actually still conjunct my natal Uranus although its separating now by one degree, and P2 (secondary progressions) Venus is applying a conjunction to my natal UR- she was right on my sun exact in November, and although in the same degree with UR, she won't be exact till April. In any case, I have seen a breakthrough, a literal transformation into just what you are talking about- basically what some people might call 'selfish' i'm calling 'exploring my independence' :)

Transit Uranus in Pisces has also been going back and forth- with the retrograde motion I'm going to feel it again this year- right on my natal Pisces moon in the 5th house so the planet's energy is swarming all around me. I can't help but be attracted to anything I see about Uranus right now- sorry- actually, a positive role I think UR has played has been my increased focus on astrology, but back to being cold and selfish...

On the date that Venus by secondary progression was EXACT on my sun this past year in my chart 15 Nov. 07- which is also indeed the time time P2 VE affected my natal UR (this is not very clear writing, but I guess I mean she was exactly on my sun, so she was touching the conjunction and thus affecting UR although she won't be in UR's exact minute and second till this spring)- but on that date, interestingly enough my fiance and I called off our wedding. We had gotten engaged the previous February when another progression was hitting me, P2 SU sextile my natal VE...

Anyway, the break up was out of the blue, surprised everyone, and surprisingly quite unemotional. We actually get along well as friends- we both have UR in the first house although his UR interestingly trines his SU-MO conjunction in the 4th and 5th- both in AQU.

Since then, i've been pretty distant and 'cool' with people. Not as in I am cool, but as you were talking about, 'Cold'. i can't be bothered with dating, I find it a pain in the ass to go through meeting, getting to know each other in the beginning. It just feels like i'm being restrained and a series of 20 questions. It's a neat dynamic because my other strong aspect in my chart, which as ruled me for as long as I can remember is my VE-PL conjunction in the 12th house. PL is my chart ruler bc my ASC is in SCO (aaak double scorp! good thing i have a pisces moon, otherwise I'd be much, much worse!) well up until this progression really hit me this year, the VE-PL being in LIB was always urging me to get into these intense relationships, and stay that way, never letting go- I also have a Taurus DESC. - obviously w/SCO asc. and you know how they say fixed signs on the ASC-DESC never want to let go in a relationship, its literally 'til death do us part'.

so its interesting to me that I for the first time "dumped" someone so to speak, I mean I never have told a partner to leave, or done the action of leaving. I just can't, and I think its because of the aspects i just mentioned above. However, I started dating a guy 2 months after the break up, and within a couple weeks I had to tell him to 'beat it' because I felt like I couldn't breathe.

since then I've given up even trying to communicate with the opposite sex. I'm doing all things ME, working on myself, but i'm sure to the people around me, I appear more selfish and cold. I don't think there's anything wrong with nurturing the self, its needed to grow, but its still 'cold' as in not worrying about others.

I got lost and forgot to mention something else I started earlier. I was going to say 11th house is also friends, but I take it back, the 7th house of partnerships would be close friends, 11th would be more social interaction. Yes, you dont' really 'know' that kind of friend, just around for fun.

Just my 2...or rather 4 cents. sorry to go on, late for work again...

PYXIS

what an interesting discussion.....Uranus has always fascinated me!!!
such an enigma....
with my moon quincunx UR , my Jupiter square UR, and
my venus and merc sextile UR....it has been nothing but a little trouble-maker.
let's demote it.