Planetary hour

Summery Joy

I have been researching the plantery hour issue for a while and I'm getting no where. Evidently, I'm not using very good websites.

But I found Radu using it on another thread, Do I have Pisces ASC?. I wanted to ask this question there but it would have disturbed the conversation going on there.

So, here we go. How do we know which planet rules the hour? Is there like a mathematical equation or placement comparison? Does it matter where you are in the world? If it's 2 pm here in Cairo, it's noon in the UK. Would we still have the same planetary hour?

How can we use planetary hours in horary and electional astrology? Does it matter in natal astrology as well?

pwadm

Staff member
Here's a valuable source of information http://www.arlenekramer.com/astrology23.asp and the following 3 articles.

The planetary hours are calculated based on local sun rising and setting times, so it depends a lot on the location.

The planetary rulers of the hour are useful in horary and electional astrology. I couldn't tell if also in natal astrology.

Summery Joy

OK. Although I've only been using them for a few days, I found the planetary hours to be very interesting and worth studying. I have a couple of questions though.

On what basis were the hours assigned to planets?

Who first assigned them this way and when?

The reason I ask these questions is because of a thought that I couldn't get out of my mind. See, accodring to the articles, the first hour of daylight is aasigned to the planet which the day is named after. But it's not for sure which came first, the day name or the hour assigning. So I just tracked down Satrun which was, to the traditional astrologers, the first planet. I figured that maybe Saturn was assigned to the first hour of the first day of the week. Saturn rules the first hour of Saturday. But Saturday is the first day of the week only in the Arab culture. Now that got me thinking; did the Arabs classify the hours this way?

See, if the it was the Arabs who did it, then isn't it possible that they simply assigned the first hour of the first day to the first planet and that was it?

I know I sound skeptic, but I'm really not on this subject. I mean, the planetary hours have already been proving their validity since I've started using them. I just want to understand how they got classified this way among the planets.

pwadm

Staff member
Any day (from sunrise to the next sunrise) begins with an hour ruled by the same planet that rules the day.
For instance the last planetary hour of Wendesday is ruled by Saturn (just before sunrise) and is followed by the hour of Jupiter (after sunrise on Thursday). The cycle goes on and on.

The planetary hours' rulers always follow this order: Saturn - Jupiter - Mars - Sun - Venus - Mercury - Moon, which is called the Chaldean order. I don't exactly know who the Chaldeans were or when did they figure out these things.

Another piece of info - you already know this - all day planetary hours are equal in lenght, all night planetary hours are equal as well, but differ from day hours. Their lenght changes from season to season.