software advice...probably again...LOL

Hallo
My name's Mark.
I will get to the point if i may.
I am thinking of buying some really good Astrology software. I have come down to the solar fire software or the keplar software. I hope to grow into the software and learn all i can through using it. Would people have any recommendations?!
I want to get into past life astrology as well as multi person charts.
Thanks.

hi
Thanks very much all of you for the trouble of answering my question. I will look into the software you have suggested. Some good people here it seems.

zoidsoft

It depends upon what you want to do so read the fine print.

Personally, I'd avoid the larger companies because I tried to get them to add techniques for years based upon what is in some obscure texts that I found very interesting and after struggling for 8 years to get Solar Fire (and others) to do these with no success, I decided not to support them anymore and wrote my own software. Most of the smaller companies will try to accommodate customer requests.

Once my software was noticed as a success in the marketplace (starting around 2005), I got several offers to hire from a few of these same companies who had refused to innovate the changes that I was proposing years prior, but I refused their offers. Once they saw that I was right that there was a market in the area I was proposing they were only too eager to swoop in. I got the impression that the big companies are primarily in it for the money and aren't interested in innovation unless it will pay off financially.

deedee

It depends upon what you want to do so read the fine print.

Personally, I'd avoid the larger companies because I tried to get them to add techniques for years based upon what is in some obscure texts that I found very interesting and after struggling for 8 years to get Solar Fire (and others) to do these with no success, I decided not to support them anymore and wrote my own software. Most of the smaller companies will try to accommodate customer requests.

Once my software was noticed as a success in the marketplace (starting around 2005), I got several offers to hire from a few of these same companies who had refused to innovate the changes that I was proposing years prior, but I refused their offers. Once they saw that I was right that there was a market in the area I was proposing they were only too eager to swoop in. I got the impression that the big companies are primarily in it for the money and aren't interested in innovation unless it will pay off financially.

I'm getting the same kind of feeling. I guess it is a slow process that I shouldn't rush by buying some shiny software.

zoidsoft

I'm getting the same kind of feeling. I guess it is a slow process that I shouldn't rush by buying some shiny software.

If you are a beginner, then astro.com has a free charting service on the web that will cover everything you will need, but most astrologers have a set of techniques that they use in their readings for clients, so for them it becomes critically important to check if the software does these techniques. It is a mistake to assume that the most advertised/marketed programs will include all of these for you. In fact, each astrologer often has at least one technique that is completely unique to that astrologer that no one else knows about and it has been a headache for programmers like myself to figure out which ones to include because the number of different techniques is extremely vast. What the most marketed programs try to do is find the mainstream common ground and focus on usability and make the appearance slick and appealing. Other programs specialize in a particular field and go into depth which is the class of software I write and is more appealing to researchers. Some programs that are specialized can have usability issues because these are often written by astrologers who have not fully grasped the discipline of software development. The best way to screen these out is to test drive a copy of the trial demo's. Most of the smaller companies freely have these available and some like myself have uploaded older versions and have been rated for usability by Tucows.com.