stay or move after PhD

Sommnium

I am in the field of artificial life research and in next couple of months I should defend my PhD thesis. I started my studies in biology (BSc in general biology, MSc in microbiology) but questions on nature of life (its universal characteristics and what are essential differences between organization of biological systems and mechanical ones) led me to physics and mathematics. I developed formal framework that exhibits a lot of interesting characteristics but I have a feeling that it need at least one or two more years of polishing and improving to make it as perfect as I would like to see it. However, my PhD days are almost gone and I should decide between: (i) staying at my university for several more years, or (ii) seeking for some other post-doc position abroad. My long term plan is certainly not to stay in my home country but I am not sure when the right time to leave is? My current place is quite calm i.e. I can spend a lot of time on projects I chose for myself which is very important for me. However, salary and overall prospects are very weak.
As I can see from transits both Uranus and Jupiter are in Conjunction with MC which indicate positive changes but these changes can maybe refer just to obtaining degree. Can someone please have some advice regarding these questions?

Last edited:

segurelha

Oh my friend, I also finished a PhD 1 year ago, and during the PhD I often thought of quitting, because I was not happy with my field and wanted to change the entire career. As a PhD is always good in your CV, I finished it, with great effort, and the entire last year I was travelling abroad and having fun, and now started a whole new career. Transits? Uranus is making a square to my natal Sun.

My friend, with Uranus/Jupiter currently in your 9th house, this is a PERFECT time for travel.
If you stay, you will probably be bored. Travel my friend! Move abroad. Uranus transiting the 9th and the 10th brings an itchy feet for travelling and changing your career.

You can expect great change ahead concerning your career. Doing what you really like to do, is critical.

sashaarts

Most of the PhD students would go abroad for post doctoral research or join as faculty in some college, university or institute based on there quality of research. Few take up the challenges and luck support them to join industry and they choose their career from there. :sagittariusimg:

Sommnium

thank you segurelha for advice. Actually, few days ago I received invitation to visit some colleagues in Japan during next year. And yes, I am already quite restless regarding my further career steps. Currently I am in the mood of reorganizing everything, summarizing previous work and defining new set of goals. So maybe this is preparation for the "great change" in my career you mentioned. And I hope with Jupiter in 10th house during next period it will be fruitfull, since I have big plans how to expand my work. However, my main concern is when to concentrate on organizing permanent or at least longer-term move. Maybe I am too cautinous about that, but moving together with family seems to me as very complicated.

@ sashaarts
I am not too much into industry career. Choosing between science and industry, I would always pick up the science.

Sommnium

thanks MD. I am quite certain that it is only a matter of time when I will leave my current country. I take another look at my plans, my current situation and my chart and transits and I guess this is the time to start preparations for moving. Uranus have been in my 9th house for the last 5-6 years which coincidence with my change of focus from biology towards physics and computational sciences and also with a lot of traveling during that time. Soon it will enter my 10th house and with Jupiter in 10th and 11th house I guess that will be a good time for some steps forward, and for some important changes.

@ juicey
thank you for advice but I do not have any experience with horary. I'll take a look at that section to see what is it really about.

Sommnium

I don't know what is your residence but I can easily describe my home country in similar words. Therefore, when leaving, you are usually leaving for lifetime. That's why I am cautinous about that.
btw. my boss's primary field is fluid dynamics, but of environmental processes. I wish you all the best in your future work