Is it odd to have a chart that has no retrograde planets?

anne3

Banned
Unfortunately I have quite a few retrograde planets, but recently I saw a chart that had not one retrograde planet and the only thing retrograde was chiron.

Does this mean there is more prosperity for this person?

waybread

Re: Anyone with experince of no retrograde planets in chart?

Generally speaking, the energy of a retrograde planet is turned inward. Mercury retrograde people are very introspective, as their minds frequently rework events and facts learned. Mars retrograde people can be very hard on themselves, as all of the planet's natural aggression gets turned inward.

This interpretation breaks down somewhat when we get to the outer planets. People with Saturn opposite sun will always have Saturn retrograde, so the opposition itself makes them self-critical. The outer planets are retrograde for long periods, so they are extremely common. Pluto can be retrograde for half the year.

Half of my planets are retrograde, but so far as I can tell, this merely promotes a more inward-looking, introspective sort of personality.

A planet in direct motion supposedly operates "normally", in a more outward fashion.

Occasionally in a chart you will see a planet that is stationary. This means that a planet about to change direction appears to stop and stand still for a short while. Supposedly this strengthens the intensity of the planet as it operates in the chart.

greybeard

Only about 8% of all charts have no Rx planets. It is a highly unusual condition and should be considered as highly significant.
Charts with 1, 2 or 3 Rx planets occur in about 75% of all cases. This is then "the norm." 56% contain either 2 or 3 Rx.
There are 4, 5, 6 or 7 Rx planets in 18% of all charts.
If we remove charts with 4 Rx planets (13%) from this group, then 5, 6 or 7 Rx occurs in only 5% of all instances.

All planets with orbits external to Earth's turn Rx when near opposition to the Sun. The planets from Jupiter outward are seen to be Rx in over 1/3 of all charts.

Mercury is Rx in about 20% of all charts.
Venus and Mars are the planets least often Rx (each around 8% of the time), and so when either of these is found to be Rx in a chart, it should be taken as "rare" and therefore highly significant (influencing the life as a whole strongly) in any chart where either is found.

I consider a chart with 4 or more planets Rx to hold a Preponderance of retrograde planets. Some authorities say that for a preponderance of retrogradation 5 planets are required.

A preponderance of retrograde planets suggests an introverted or introspective personality, highly subjective, and in some manner going against the normal flow of things. They are not usually well supported by the outer world. They are rare birds, unusual.

Where no planet is retrograde, we might expect little ability or need for introspection. The life is directed in remarkable degree toward the externals of the world.

Last edited:

sworm09

Thank you. But would it mean anything for someone to have no retrograde planets - such as they have less holding them back regarding planet intensity - or same thing with someone who has most planets retrograde - they have a lot holding them back?

What JupiterAsc is saying isn't wrong.

As Greybeard pointed out, it's most certainly rare but it doesn't really immediately imply more prosperity. What JupiterAsc was saying is that the specific case of that chart would indicate if that's something that would be the case. For example, what if all of the direct planets were debilitated, peregrine, or afflicted? That wouldn't promise prosperity. It's a general question that doesn't have a general answer. In non-astrological terms this question is like asking if being born in the United States means that the person will experience more prosperity. The answer to that, as it is here, is that it depends on the individual case.

And despite your comment on astrology being all generalizations and conjecture (which suggests to me that you obviously haven't seriously studied it) the one thing you CAN'T do with astrology is make sweeping statements. Until you recognize that you're going to get the same answer over and over again; It depends on the individual case. That's astrology.

Last edited:

greybeard

[deleted attacking comments - Moderator]

Let me provide an analogy of how astrology works. It is not "generalization and conjecture"

Go out into the meadow or forest behind your house. There you find a flower you've never seen before. You want to know what it is.

You have a plant identification book gathering dust on your bookshelf, so you begin to look through it, trying to identify this flower.

The book first divides all plants into two groups: flowering or non-flowering. The first group contains all plants that produce flowers. The second holds plants that don't, such as conifers, ferns, grasses.... Your plant has a flower.

The book might then ask "how many petals"? "What branching pattern?" "Leaf structure?" and on and on.

After a very thorough, detailed examination of the many separate characteristics of your flower, you determine that it is Magnolia grandiflora, var. "St. Mary's"

In order to "identify" a unique human being, astrology follows a similar procedure.

I use chart pattern (the arrangement or distribution of the planets around the Earth at the time of birth) as a preliminary step in chart analysis. This places the individual in one of seven broad categories of temperament type. Then I look for preponderances -- there are many kinds of them -- and each one of these, if I find them, further narrows the "type" of human being described by the chart. It is the progressive narrowing of potentials that finally describes the "species" of person....a fine specimen of Magnolia grandiflora.

Computers, I think, work in the same way. A whole series of zeros and ones finally leads to a specific color on the screen. A single change at any point in this chain of Yes-No gates results in a totally different outcome.

As far as retrogradation...
I have 4 retrograde planets in my personal chart. I am an introvert. My life has been full of detours and "whoops".

But to really understand what these 4 Rx planets are "saying" about my character and my destiny demands knowing which planets are retrograde, their position in relation to the other planets, their aspects, the condition of their lords, the houses they are associated with, and a host of other factors -- and each of these conditions further specifies or individualizes "me", describes me as a unique being, different from every other creature on this Earth. We begin with generalization and then, step by step, refine our analysis until we have a very specific portrait of a unique individual.

Last edited by a moderator:

moonstark

The only planet retrograde in my chart is chiron.

However, there are many other issues going on, including tons of squares, an afflicted jupiter, and sun/merc in the 12th, just to name a few... so I can't say I've been any more prosperous because of the lack of retrogrades.

moonstark

Re: Anyone with experince of no retrograde planets in chart?

Just posted this in the other thread... I only have chiron retro, but plentyyyyy of challenging material to work with. Still lots of introspection/critique with a pisces ASC square saturn in sag and my sun and merc in the 12th.

Love2Know

Generally speaking, the energy of a retrograde planet is turned inward. Mercury retrograde people are very introspective, as their minds frequently rework events and facts learned. Mars retrograde people can be very hard on themselves, as all of the planet's natural aggression gets turned inward.

This interpretation breaks down somewhat when we get to the outer planets. People with Saturn opposite sun will always have Saturn retrograde, so the opposition itself makes them self-critical. The outer planets are retrograde for long periods, so they are extremely common. Pluto can be retrograde for half the year.

Half of my planets are retrograde, but so far as I can tell, this merely promotes a more inward-looking, introspective sort of personality.

A planet in direct motion supposedly operates "normally", in a more outward fashion.

Occasionally in a chart you will see a planet that is stationary. This means that a planet about to change direction appears to stop and stand still for a short while. Supposedly this strengthens the intensity of the planet as it operates in the chart.
I have mars and saturn retrograde. This is interesring thanks.

greybeard

If we don't count Chiron as a planet (it's a rock about 200 miles long, of about the same proportions as an Idaho Spud)

You have No Rx in your chart.

I don't know that I would interpret lack of retrogradation as "prosperity"....

tybrenneman

I have this and I am incredibly lucky.

So, this is me. all planets direct but with chiron retro in taurus (12/19/81 - 2:44am via cesarean)

Sooooo, I've had this curse since i was about 18...every guy i date gets incredibly successful while we are dating and eventually turns into a narcissist (complete with inflated/damaged ego)...I've survived several car crashes, a dozen ulcerative flares, and so far, I've achieved what I've always wanted (to live in Beverly Hills and act in commercials). the last couple years I have become more and more psychic (it scares people sometimes). I find that I can talk to anyone who is not small-minded (zero intolerance for people who halt intellectual progression, like astrology nay-sayers who still the read the Bible as God's word, not realizing they're studying the clock in the sky, e.g. astrology -- As Above So Below --)

CharlieDown

I have a retrograde mars in my natal chart, I dont seem to be so hard on myself more than I lack assertiveness and masculinity. My father is very aggressive and lacks a feminine side, this probably led to me not wanting to become him and therefore suppressing my aggression, this sometimes bottles up and comes out eventually. I feel retrograde planets energies are just hard to be expressed outwardly, the energy gets suppressed and can build up if bot channelled correctly. I am trying to find ways to channel my mars energy into acting when I should and not holding back when it comes to asserting myself, when appropriate. Retrograde planets in the matal chart seem to represent energies we struggle with and will need to learn to control.

CharlieDown

I have a retrograde mars in my natal chart, I dont seem to be so hard on myself more than I lack assertiveness and masculinity. My father is very aggressive and lacks a feminine side, this probably led to me not wanting to become him and therefore suppressing my aggression, this sometimes bottles up and comes out eventually. I feel retrograde planets energies are just hard to be expressed outwardly, the energy gets suppressed and can build up if bot channelled correctly. I am trying to find ways to channel my mars energy into acting when I should and not holding back when it comes to asserting myself, when appropriate. Retrograde planets in the matal chart seem to represent energies we struggle with and will need to learn to control/ express in a regular/ balanced way.

Cappy93

I have no retrograde planets, and I would so far (knock on wood)say I make a plan and I execute it. Sometimes even it feels like making a wish and somehow other stuff around me fallow true naturally.I would not say its easy(I also have 6 planets in Cap so I naturally work hard and like it) but in my experience I am certainly lucky in a way that my work pays off and I know other talented hard working fox and for them its not always the case. I do have other lucky aspects, but I count this as a really great one. It makes for a more proactive(sometimes impatient person) but someone who has I truly believe a luck in a sense that outside things don't intervene so much with our plans. Or you deal easier when its hard and you don't dwell on things and when you see an obstacle you are happy to solve it(this might be my strong capp though). proactiveness for sure.

Cappy93

Actually the more I think about it and read other people experiences it becomes more interesting. I have a wild guess that all planets direct would make your planets' aspects play out maybe more visibly.
Meaning if you have good aspects they become almost "lucky" but your bad aspects also become more intense.

Because all that energy is going outward so it is a bit more agressive as well. In both cases. So the aspects play out more in the outer world vs the inner world with retrogrades. Which can also be very intense btw I am not downplaying that, just maybe less visible to the outside world, other people.

In my wild guess conclusion, it would make your chart play out visibly to other fox, because all of your aspects are evident to the people around you and are producing events that are visible to others.

I have all direct planets, and I am going from my own experience, meaning I think if I showed my chart and told you what was happening in my life you would say ohh it makes perfect sense. But with retrogrades, more is in the hidden rich inner world that sometimes is really hard to decipher.

Claire19

Unfortunately I have quite a few retrograde planets, but recently I saw a chart that had not one retrograde planet and the only thing retrograde was chiron.

I have no retrogrades. Has nothing to do with prosperity which is the province of our finance houses 2nd and 8th and other influences.. It is that we choose to incarnate at a certain time and if there are no retrogrades it is part of the deal.

Claire19

If we don't count Chiron as a planet (it's a rock about 200 miles long, of about the same proportions as an Idaho Spud)

You have No Rx in your chart.

I don't know that I would interpret lack of retrogradation as "prosperity"....

CHiron is an unknown quantity but certainly not a major planet. I would not give too much weight to it Perhaps as a support for other influences but with a small orb. There is much written about it but it may well be just an asteroid.

cptnspacebug

I have no retrogrades in my chart. Except for chiron (weird its same as the chart you seen) but i have to question the internalizing energy of retrogrades because im a whole lot of scorpio and alot of my energy from and for the world is internalized.
Didnt know about the 8% thing. Neat!