Creative Zodiac Degree Symbols. Why Not?

Draco

Hi all,

Aside from Sabian Symbols, there are Kozminsky Symbols, and I believe there are other sets of symbols too. On the AW site, when comparing the Sabian's to the Kozminsky's, there appears to be little correlation between the two system's symbolism, and rather than choosing between the validity of one or the other I am more inclined to consider both unsatifactory, as I am irritated by these inconsistencies. (I'm such a Virgo :? )

If there is more than one set of symbols out there, then no one set can lay claim to being the 'right' set. So if there is no such thing as the 'right' symbols, then why can't we get creative?

This has caused me to play with the idea of creating my own very personal set of symbols, in the same way as the Sabian Symbols were created. I would place each degree of the zodiac written on a piece of paper in a sealed envelope and then randomise them, select an envelope and see what symbolic vision comes to mind and encapsulate this vision into a brief sentence. Thus the personal set of symbols are created. In doing this I would have created an ultimately personal set of symbols which could not fail to be satisfactory in analysing charts relating to my own self, in that they are the product of my own psyche.

Perhaps others among you too, might feel this would be a good idea? Surely it would be interesting to analyse our own birth charts in relation to the personal symbols our own psyches have prompted us to create. Perhaps such an exercise would reveal to us messages more potent than a system randomised by someone else?

I am not trying to debunk the Sabian or Kozminsky symbols at all, in fact I have found the revelations of the Sabians quite remarkable at times, but why can't we have different sets of symbols in application to different things? Personal symbol sets are just one idea.

Might it not be an interesting idea to create an Astrology Weekly set of degree symbols, especially for use by members of this forum when making interpretations for one and other upon this site as fellow members? For example, your personal degree symbol for your Sun would have insights especially for you, but your AW Sun symbol would yield different insights, based upon a group conciousness as a member of this community. Further still, someone else's personal symbol for your Sun and your's for their's might reveal insights as to the correlation between the psyche's of the two individuals.

Is this an interesting idea or am I just crazy?! :p

Could we not create a AW set of symbols Radu? Perhaps you could select a random degree of the zodiac for willing participants and ask them to encapsulate whatever vision is aroused in them and to embody this vision into a short sentence (of course the ideal would be one symbol per person, requiring 360 participants). Only you would know what this degree is, and then you could apply the symbol generated by the participant to this symbol, until a full 360 degree set is created, constituting a set of symbols generated by a community conciousness, especially for working on this forum.

Perhaps, alternatively, Radu's personal symbol's could work as the forums symbol's, after all, this is his site.

What do you think about this? What do others think about this?

This is just an idea I had about creating different sets of symbols for different reasons.

Has anyone out there already created a personal set?

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think.

Draco :wink:

pwadm

Staff member
Draco said:
This has caused me to play with the idea of creating my own very personal set of symbols, in the same way as the Sabian Symbols were created. I would place each degree of the zodiac written on a piece of paper in a sealed envelope and then randomise them, select an envelope and see what symbolic vision comes to mind and encapsulate this vision into a brief sentence. Thus the personal set of symbols are created. In doing this I would have created an ultimately personal set of symbols which could not fail to be satisfactory in analysing charts relating to my own self, in that they are the product of my own psyche.

I like this idea. Each of us is unique, and we respond to a very personal symbolism.

Me, for one, when I hear someone sneeze I know that what I'm going to do is lucky. It's just a personal association between sneezing and the traditional "Bless You" and the course of my life. The same holds true in case of a car alarm or some other SIGNS. This is live symbolism, synchronicity.
To others, these signs may not mean that much, they just aren't sensitive to life signs, or maybe they have a different set of life symbols, based on each one's cultural and spiritual background.

There are several sets of symbols for the 360 degrees of the zodiac that I know of. Referring to the Sabian Symbols, as you know, they came in the Balboa Park of San Diego, in the heart of an American city, therefore representing values and themes familiar to today's world. I think they were further developped by the Australian Lynda Hill's skillful interpretation.

I have friend, a Romanian astrologer, who wrote last year a book offering his own interpretations on the Sabian Symbols. These interpretations actually have his mark and express a great deal of his own views on life, spirituality, world, etc. I don't quite resonate with his views, so I don't like his interpretations either. Instead, I liked very much Lynda's point of view, and especially her first book rather than the last one.

What I'm trying to say is that these symbolic interpretations are very subjective and depend greatly on one's spiritual level at a moment in time.

Draco, you are most welcome to create your own set of symbols if you'd like, the same for any other takers, really it wouldn't be difficult for me to create a page that would generate a random degree of the zodiac and then ask for visitor's vision on that symbol, then store all answers in a database. But I'm not sure what will come out of this collective effort.

I not much involved into the physic thing, so I'd stick to the Sabian Symbols for now rather than creating my own.

What do others think?

Draco

Hi Radu,

I'm glad that you liked this idea.

I know what you are saying about synchronicity and our personal responses to 'signs' and 'omens'.

To me birds are very significant. If I see a crows, magpies or ravens, I take this as a message from Odin, the Northern God of magick and mystery. I believe birds in the corvid family come to tell me that I need to get in touch with some form of divination, as it would be a fortuitous time to gain insights. The direction in which the bird is flying, or where it stands, or what it is doing or whether or not it is with a partner all gives hints as to the particular message the bird has come to relate.

Sometimes I ask for signs to come deliberately. I remember once when I was very much into the possibility of 'past lives', and before setting out one day, I decided that the first person I see would symbolise a significant past life of mine. As soon as I opened the door I immediately layed eyes upon a Hindu woman in traditional, colourful Hindu attire. I was sure this meant something, as in the town where I live, there is hardly any ethnic population at all, so being such a rare event, this must have meant something.

Everything means something!

Anyway, enough of my waffling and onto the point.

When I get round to creating my own set of personal symbols, then I will post them here, if that would be okay, just in case anyone should take an interest. I would be interested to see anyone else's as well, if they decide to make them, just to see how I resonate with them.

it wouldn't be difficult for me to create a page that would generate a random degree of the zodiac and then ask for visitor's vision on that symbol, then store all answers in a database. But I'm not sure what will come out of this collective effort.

If enough people are interested in this then it would be really kind of you to do this Radu. Perhaps it would make an interesting experiment? Would you not have to make sure that once a symbol has been generated, that it is not generated again? Would this be easy?

I'm not sure what would come of this collective effort either, so perhaps you could set out guidelines for the structure of the symbol in order to have some uniformity within the set, so that the symbols all look like they belong together.

The structure could be like this: A what? / Doing what? / In what circumstances?

Eg: A writer / delivers a message / to the community.

Would no one else find this interesting? Ideas anyone? Feedback people!

pwadm

Staff member
Let's get creative!

Hi there !

It seems that the Universe likes this idea and want us to do it.

It also seems to be an important work!

So, let's get creative!

Go here: http://www.astrologyweekly.com/zodiac-symbols/

Open your heart, listen to your left hemisphere of your brain, ask for a flash of intuition, go psychic, well, do whatever you want and feel comfortable with. Share your thoughts!

Draco

Hi Radu, and thankyou for setting up the degree symbol generator, this is really good of you. :D

I think it will be very interesting to see what the result will be when when all the symbols have been generated.

The symbol generated for me was Pisces 26. I have a lot of ideas for this symbol, and I will forward my ideas once I have articulated them in the text box. This is fun. :wink:

How strange that the symbol you generated turned out to be Sag 5, your ASC! It would seem the universe really did intend for you to do this.

Pisces 26 would seem to bear no correlation in my own natal, but it is square the GC at Sag 26, and squares between Pis and Sag are a good thing, as both are ruled by ultra-benefic Jupiter.

I will summarise my ideas and submit.

C'mon people, let's get these symbols created! Then we can start using them.

Thankyou again Radu.

Draco

Hi,

Just posted my interpretation of Pisces 26. It was a really enjoyable exercise. I can't wait until the full set of symbols is complete and we can start using them.

I wonder: Do you intend, once the symbols are complete, to use the set as a random oracle in the same way as the Sabian oracle, or do you intend to have them listed so that memebers of the forum can explore each others ideas?

pwadm

Staff member
Hey Draco ! Thanks. Don't consider this as my idea, this was actually yours. I even didn't quite think that it would be that good. But, I kind of pushed into doing it. I received an email from Lynda Hill (we talked some time ago on her forum) telling me that she would like the interpretations to the Sabian Oracle on my site removed, because of copyright issues. I didn't think that there was a such issue, since these interpretations were from an older book, since then she published a new one, much detailed, which was recommended on each page, and these were only tidbits. Anyway, I removed the interpretation of the symbols, leaving only the link to the new book. People willing to get deeper insight can buy that book, it's worth every penny, it has even several specific quotes for every zodiac degree.

As all this happened only ONE day after your post, this was clearly a message actually, the Universe pointing out how important is to get this done, a new set of symbols associated to the 360 degrees or at least a new insight on their meanings.

I just asked the Sabian Oracle WHY it is important to have this new set of symbols, and it answered: "A volcanic eruption." I understand this as some pressure and tension has been accumulated in the underground and needs to be released. There is presumably a lot of spiritual energy that had to find its way out to the minds of the people, involved in astrology.

So, just to make sure it'sclear, this is NOT my set of symbols, nor this site's, this is a collective effort, in the very spirit of the Aquarian Aqe fraternity ! :)

:rockon:

Draco

Hey Radu!

As all this happened only ONE day after your post, this was clearly a message actually, the Universe pointing out how important is to get this done, a new set of symbols associated to the 360 degrees or at least a new insight on their meanings.

Intriguing synchronicity! I love it when things like this happen. It confirms my belief that there is some omniscient intelligence watching over everything and giving a nudge here and there when neccesary.

I have noticed how significant coincidences will often happen when communicating with memebers on the forum. For example, remember the 'strange sabian synchronicity @ Virgo 10', I posted about, in which the symbol caused me to look at my own chart and I found some very peculiar connections between it, my chart, and an alchemical drawing on the AW site? You were intrigued by this and consulted the oracle, only to find you drew exactly the same symbol!

Also it was peculiar how the other day I came on the site, considering asking you if you had the data for when the forum was initiated, only to find it had just been put up!

Then when I looked up the persona charts for the forum, I discovered that the only two personas yet to be 'lit up' are Neptune and Venus in early February. This is signifcant to me, as my Mercury (messages) is in trine to the forum's Neptune/Venus. Come to think of it, I've just realised that the two most prominent placements in my chart are Venus and Neptune due to conjunction with the angles, Venus on the degree right next to my DC, and Neptune on the degree right next to my MC. To me, this is an intriguing personal synchronicity. I must make sure I am active on the forum in early Feb.

I just asked the Sabian Oracle WHY it is important to have this new set of symbols, and it answered: "A volcanic eruption."

Let's hope it doesn't mean it will turn out to be a disaster! LOL.

By the way, the e-mail add I sent with the Pis 26 interpretation will not recieve e-mail (for some strange reason), only send.

Cheers Radu,

pwadm

Staff member
29 degrees covered so far. Possibly several answers / degree, I didn't check.

It'll take some time, though. A few months, at least.

Draco

That's not too bad. As long as people are taking an interest. I fancied doing another one but I'll let others have a chance first. Don't want to be greedy. Can't wait to see the results! Should be interesting.

Cheers,