Best Books for learning Astrology !

I like to be an astrologer. But I have not started yet to learn it. How can I start my journey towards Astrology ? Is there any simple way ? I mean how can I become a good astrologer. Which is the best book for that ? Can anyone suggest me some good books ? Please provide me a list of such books and also some links to get such books.

The actual BEST is Raphael's Ephemeris which lists aggregate astronomical including occultations and added phenomena. The disadvantage is you have to buy anniversary year alone and aback issues may be absurd to find. Looking up a bearing in 1930 may not be feasible.

danashock

Well I've learnt alot from Sasha Fenton and Liz Green's books. Try to get whatever you can find from those two. Also Nancy Fenn's articles online have really opened my eyes. She has great astrological chart analysis of the famous and can be great tutorials and learning examples.

dr. farr

I would recommend an initial study of Charles Carter's books: "Principles of Astrology" and "The Astrological Aspects". At the same time have Hall's "Astrological Keywords" and DeVore's "Encyclopedia of Astrology" at hand for constant reference relative to definitions.
After a study of Carter, you will then have to decide the direction you want to go in your further studies: Modern Astrology or Traditionalist? Also you will have to decide if you are most interested in natal astrology, or predictive astrology (including mundane and, of course, horary) or medical astrology, or perhaps 2 or more of these branches of the astrological art.

An excellent source for many books at all levels of study and for both Modernist and Traditionalist/Hellenist (and even Vedic) astrology is astroamerica.com

A free and extensive chart-erection service is provided @ astro.com

Last edited:

tikana

I like to be an astrologer. But I have not started yet to learn it. How can I start my journey towards Astrology ? Is there any simple way ? I mean how can I become a good astrologer. Which is the best book for that ? Can anyone suggest me some good books ? Please provide me a list of such books and also some links to get such books.

Robert Hand "horoscope symbols" is a must to have

William Lilly - Christian astrology volume 1 and 3. skip 2nd book if you are not interested in astrology -you have to understand the traditional basics

juicey J.

Banned
Rober Hand's "Planets in Youth" this is a must have if you want to understand the basics of natal chart reading. Also, Planets in Transit by Robert Hand if you want to understand basic Transit theory and making predictions by such.

juicey J.

Banned
Rober Hand's "Planets in Youth" this is a must have if you want to understand the basics of natal chart reading. Also, Planets in Transit by Robert Hand if you want to understand basic Transit theory and making predictions by such. If you want to understand making predictions by secondary progressions get Alan Leo's "The Progressed Horoscope" If you want to understand the basic meaning and use of the fixed stars get "the fixed stars and constellations in astrology" by vivan robson and "Brady's Book of Fixed Stars"

If you want to understand the basics of medieval astrology get "The essential dignities" and "Classical Astrology For Modern Living" both by J. Lee Lehman and get "The arabic parts in astrology" by Robert Zoller.

Last edited:

Aquachime

As mentioned Julia and Derek Parkers Astrology is a great overview. Linda Goodmans Sun Signs and Love Signs books are a great starting point. The Astrology Bible by Judy Hall and The Complete book of Astrology by Caitlin Johnstone are also good overviews. The Astrology Encyclopedia is a must have. As is The Astrologers Handbook by Sakoian & Acker I believe. From there I would look to Bernadette Brady- The Eagle and The Lark for predictive astrology and Bradys Book of Fixed Stars, Demetra George and Douglas Bloch for Asteroid Goddesses, Celeste Teal for Eclipses and Identifying Planetary Triggers and Jan Spiller Astrology for the Soul. The Lunation Cycle by Dane Rhudyar is another one to deepen your knowledge of the Lunar Light. I like Ray Merriman- The New Solar Return Book of Prediction for another predictive technique. Astro.com and Cafe Astrology are websites with heaps of info. Adyar Bookshop is a good source of books as of course is Amazon.com.

beginner

Try "The only way to learn astrology Vol 1", It is a good book for newbies.

jmerle179

Chiming in as a newbie who is looking for the same.
First off, before you spend $20 here, $25 there, and another $30 elsewhere for books that you may end up throwing in the trash, I suggest you decide if you'll study MODERN or TRADITIONAL astrology.

Most of the books I've seen tend to be geared toward the MODERN astrology student. I have decided to focus strictly on TRADITIONAL so I can learn Horary. Fortunately (and unfortunately) this has limited my available reading material.

That said, my first astrology book (checked out from a local library) was "KISS Guide to Astrology" by Julia and Derek Parker. (MODERN) This book was a good overview for me because two months ago I couldn't match the 12 Zodiac symbols with their signs, and I'd never heard of an Ascendant or Rising Sign. Still, I'm glad I checked it out, but even more happy that I didn't pay money for it because I don't see it as a "keeper" book.

I found a 1947 copy of Nicolas DeVore's Astrology Encyclopedia (which I have referred to many, many times as I read posts on this site). Tonight, I located a copy online: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2578598/Encyclopedia-of-Astrology-Nicholas-deVore

I've currently got two texts going, and I switch back and forth:
"Christian Astrology" by William Lilly (TRADITIONAL) Despite the title, it has nothing to do with religion. You can download all three "books" online here: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/texts.html I think most, if not all, TRADITIONAL astrologers will say this is a "must read", I should tell you that, for me, it's a brain bruiser that is difficult to absorb. It's 800 pages (a lot of printer ink and paper!) and was written in the 1600s in a somewhat archaic style... which is why I also have a second book going at the same time.

The second book is "Astrology: Understanding the Birth Chart" by Kevin Burk. (He seems to be a TRADITIONAL astrologist, but he's also included the outer planets and comments for MODERN astrology students.) I'm not sure how I feel about his chart interpretations. I've only followed him on one of the 4 or 5 in the book. But I have to say that Burk's book has helped me better understand aspects and planet dignities. I think it's a good beginner reference book just for that reason. Non-beginners will likely consider it a waste of money.

As someone keen on learning TRADITIONAL astrology, I've found BobZemco's detailed and (and often caustic) posts invaluable. Someone else might be able to recommend a different poster on this site if you wish to learn MODERN. While much of what Bob says goes over my head, I find the more I read, the more I begin to understand.

For my next book, I'm considering either "Horary Astrology Plain & Simple" by Anthony Louis; "Martial Art of Horary Astrology" by J. Lee Lehman; or "Raphael's Horary Astrology" by Raphael. (I'd love input on these three if anyone would like to comment.)

Just Joy

I started by buying every book I could find in used book stores. Cheap. But some old traditional stuff was hard to understand for a beginner. Of course the internet is full of good and bad info; but I'm a researcher type so I love collecting websites and books.

For newbies, I would suggest a book/workbook call "Astrology for Yourself", authored by Block & George. It's a mod astro book to help you understand & figure out your birthchart. No better place to start than w/your bc! It is an actual workbook.... take the worksheets out & photo copy. Real good basic step-by-step program; help teach chart delination. I found it helpful anyway.

Also, ditto on jmerle179's comment re: Burkes book. Very cool on traditonal stuff; google is name for website too. Loads & loads of good stuff there.

juicey J.

Banned
Also, if you want to learn more of the basics of medieval or traditional style read "Christian Astrology" by lilly (as some have already mentioned).

Also, with basic chart reading besides Hand's "Planets in Youth" also get "The art of synthesis" by Alan Leo and "Heaven Knows What" by Grant Lewi all three of these books teach different (but not contradictory) techniques and will teach you the valuable lessons of "with the chart the whole is greater then the sum of its parts".