Rising Signs and Physical Characteristics

redwolf481

Lady Sol said:
Rising signs are difficult to 'read' if there are planets in the 1st house. Specially if it is not the planet's own house.

remmeber guys it also depends on teh strength of the rising sign..libra rising is very weak fro example..it balances the features but you really look like the sign venus is in and your beauty is dependent on the strength of venus...pisces and some others are the similar...leo rising or taurus or scorpio for example are so strong that they will allways show...leo sun will show through a libra rising ascendant ...

I am a libra rising with venus in taurus and moon in taurus.....I am a gemini sun...I look like a taurean big broad shoulders very msucualar full build and big body that is given balance and form with libra(small waist very big shoulders) and gemini's flexibility plus I think it leans me out a bit....

sometimes I wonder if I should of had venus in another sign though...I don't feel beautiful all the time but it may be my insecurity and imagination do you people find taureans to be beautiful...

bluemascara

chuckysbride666 said:
^^^^ thats a pic of me
i know i look alot like a typical taurus
Ive got wavy dark hair,dark eyes,dimples when i smile,small in height (5'3),broad neck and im stockily built :rolleyes:
my rising sign is leo and the only thing i have from that is the thick hair i think
anyone else fink i look taurean or a cross of anything? x

It's hard to tell from the picture but i always thought taurus people were fair, with blonde hair and blue eyes usually ...but i'm also a leo rising and i'm the same height as you and have deep dimples in both cheeks when i smile. My hair is wavy too but its naturally blonde.

divine g

Banned
How can you tell a person's Moon sign from their appearance?

The Moon rules emotions, and usually emotions show on the face, or in the eyes..For example,Im a Gemini sun, so I look young. But Im usually serious emotionally, so one could guess I'm a Capricorn moon, because I usually have a serious look on my face.

But like they say, appearances can be deceiving. Depending on the day, someone can express their sun, moon, or ascendant sign more. But to know a moon sign, you would have to observe that person and their general mood for a while to make a good guess. Another thing is, by nature the moon sign deals with the inside, the sensitive side of the person, so one can easily hide how they're feeling. But like they say, the eyes don't lie, they're the window to the soul. so that would be the best place to look to look if you HAD to take a guess.

The eyes can show one's sun sign just easily(like a scorpio's eyes are unmistakeable, penetrating). So in general, the moon sign could be guessed by how one appears emotionally, more than physically.

divine g

Banned
Rising signs are difficult to 'read' if there are planets in the 1st house. Specially if it is not the planet's own house.

That totally applies to me, I'm a Leo rising, but my Saturn in 1st makes me totally opposite to the spotlight-loving Leo. I do stand out, but not in a "sunny" way. It's interesting how my Mars in first gives me a lot of Scorpio Rising traits. I really identified with the traits of that Ascendant for some reason.

ErikaINFP

I don't know, I have never found that the rising sign physical descriptions have fit. My height, that Aquarius rising people are said to have, is genetic (father is 6'5", I am 5'10") however, I do have the sun in Leo mane:
ErikaWarholThingie10.jpg
(Cartooned image of me)

noideaaboutastro

Again, I recommend Keys to Your External Self: SCORPIO Rising and Decans to start with.

For anyone else who may ask, go to the page All 12 Signs Rising -- Which Is Your Ascendant? to read brief descriptions of the Ascendant signs and then scroll down to the bottom of the page, where it says:

[Learn more about all 12 Rising Signs and Decans: Ari Tau Gem Can Leo Vir Lib Sco Sag Cap Aqu Pis]

Click on the sign that's you're Rising Sign, and it will bring you to a more descriptive page that describes the characteristics of the three decanates of that sign.

Remember, though, that any planets in the first house--particularly those conjunct the Ascendant--may influence these descriptions greatly. For example, the time recorded on my birth certifcate gives me an early Aries Ascendant, but although I have a stellium in this sign, the Moon conjunct my Ascendant dominates my appearance and softens the ruggedness of Aries.

I'm curious if anyone has come across this site, simply titled Physical Appearance. Some of the descriptions differ from others I've read, but they seem more accurate, in a way. I'm tempted to create another thread to gather others' opinions about the accuracy of the descriptions...

Arian Maverick

Lol some of its right:whistling:. Well the low husky voice:pouty: absolute nightmare that one, I sound like a freeeeking male. And the secretive nature and emotions hidden under. Plus the oily skin:bandit: oh it is really bad. But dark curly oily hair......um......no? And I don't have a roundness to my nose I don't think nor am I really that short. Not sure if I walk seductively......I was pretty sure I just......walked?:unsure:

iwonder

Again, I recommend Keys to Your External Self: SCORPIO Rising and Decans to start with.

For anyone else who may ask, go to the page All 12 Signs Rising -- Which Is Your Ascendant? to read brief descriptions of the Ascendant signs and then scroll down to the bottom of the page, where it says:

[Learn more about all 12 Rising Signs and Decans: Ari Tau Gem Can Leo Vir Lib Sco Sag Cap Aqu Pis]

Hardly anything of what is said there fits me. :sad: My Asc is in last decan of Sagittarius. No, I am not heavy in the hips, or have square face, or born a salesman. I do have red hair and look somewhat younger for my age, though. Nothing that is said about 1st decan of Capricorn fits me either, except for being in perfect weight without much effort. I guess, the truth is in the mix. But guessing would be hard based on these descriptions.

Last edited:

AquaScorpio

Click on the sign that's you're Rising Sign, and it will bring you to a more descriptive page that describes the characteristics of the three decanates of that sign.

Remember, though, that any planets in the first house--particularly those conjunct the Ascendant--may influence these descriptions greatly. For example, the time recorded on my birth certifcate gives me an early Aries Ascendant, but although I have a stellium in this sign, the Moon conjunct my Ascendant dominates my appearance and softens the ruggedness of Aries.

I'm curious if anyone has come across this site, simply titled Physical Appearance. Some of the descriptions differ from others I've read, but they seem more accurate, in a way. I'm tempted to create another thread to gather others' opinions about the accuracy of the descriptions...

Arian Maverick

Hmm...this doesn't seem to describe me at all. I'm an Aries in the Sag decan. It says short and stocky when I'm quite the opposite, tall and lean. Well maybe not TALL but 5'11 hardly qualifies as short. It also says if there's a quincunx from Scorpio the person would be tiny. I have a quincunx from Mars in Scorpio, however let it be noted that it's in the 29th degree, and also that my Ascendant is the 27th degree, so if the looks work the same way cusps work with other planets then I should appear to have Taurean influences. The description becomes accurate when I use Aries, Sag and Taurus. It says Taurus rising in the Taurus decan are medium to tall in height, have wider set eyes and a broad forehead which is also the same for Aries rising. It also gives me darker hair and skin and an overall more earthy appearance. To be honest, there's probably ALOT we don't understand about the Ascendant and the rest of the chart influencing our appearance. You must also keep in mind that race and genetics limits and perhaps expands certain Asc characteristics as well.

AquaScorpio

The Moon rules emotions, and usually emotions show on the face, or in the eyes..For example,Im a Gemini sun, so I look young. But Im usually serious emotionally, so one could guess I'm a Capricorn moon, because I usually have a serious look on my face.

But like they say, appearances can be deceiving. Depending on the day, someone can express their sun, moon, or ascendant sign more. But to know a moon sign, you would have to observe that person and their general mood for a while to make a good guess. Another thing is, by nature the moon sign deals with the inside, the sensitive side of the person, so one can easily hide how they're feeling. But like they say, the eyes don't lie, they're the window to the soul. so that would be the best place to look to look if you HAD to take a guess.

The eyes can show one's sun sign just easily(like a scorpio's eyes are unmistakeable, penetrating). So in general, the moon sign could be guessed by how one appears emotionally, more than physically.

Totally true, I look young as well with an Aquarius sun but my eyes definitely belong to Scorpio (moon/mars/pluto). The intense stare can also be attributed to my Aries rising but the Arian stare is nothing compared to that of a Scorpio =p

You seem spot on about the emotional aspects of the moon manifesting in a physical way. It's always interesting to see how the combinations work in people. Mine is a strange mix of Aries/Aquarius/Scorpio. Aries works well with Aquarius on a social and intellectual level, while Aries and Scorpio can be a highly confrontational mix, and then Aquarius and Scorpio might as well be polar opposites.

Kwabena

You know - this is very interesting.

Albeit I thought the eyes would denote a native's Sun and/or Rising sign, I need to look more into how the Moon plays out in it. As far as the face in general is concerned, I too thought it denoted a person's Asc, but on second thought the Moon could not be counted out. For example, I am a Virgo-Rising native, so I am youthful, and clean-cut in the face. However, there are times when I have a 'proud look' on my face (highlighting my Moon-Leo placement). Then again, this only happens when I have my mere "emotional" moments. In saying that and to your point, I can see where the face plays a factor. I also wanted to mention while I am at it, that I recently completed a chart for someone who was a Sun-Taurus, Moon-Gemini, and Scorpio-Rising native, but had Saturn in the 1st House. He has the Scorpio-Asc height, but a very ambitious, serious look. At the end of the day, it is hard to tell whether it is always a person's Moon or Rising that predominates their facial characteristics.

Also, I was going to make the case that most Earth signs when rising give a 'serious' look (I know Taurus does, esp. from the eyes), but as a Virgo-Rising my facial expression much of the time is rather cheerful (Sun-Sag). Moreover - ohhh those Scorpion eyes! lol With a Venus-Scorpio (although I argue it should be in Sag) and as a man, Scorpion eyes catch my attention the moment I recognize them. It does truly make a person feels as though they are looking right through you. I feel that I have "mercurian" or studious eyes, and my mother confirmed it when she said I have 'intellectual' eyes, so when I look at someone or something, I am "studying" it, if you could say. As a Sagittarius this is what I enjoy about my adventures and getting around - I look out and study the scenes, while at the same time enjoying the experiences.

In closing, you are right come to think of it when it comes to emotions. When I first started looking into the significance of the Moon sign (I don't like it when I hear emotions this and that over-and-over and never gaining a better understanding of it) Usually when I don't get the attention I feel I deserve, it does feel like a sour taste in my mouth. It's not about wanting attention, as much as it is getting it when I know I deserve it. Giving me attention at times when I do not want it is sort of like a flip-side of Moon-Leo, in a sense that I get a "sour taste" in my mouth for getting it when I feel I don't deserve it. More often than not, I just want to stay reserved (Virgo-Rising) and study any and everything on my mind.

KWABENA

Kwabena

That totally applies to me, I'm a Leo rising, but my Saturn in 1st makes me totally opposite to the spotlight-loving Leo. I do stand out, but not in a "sunny" way. It's interesting how my Mars in first gives me a lot of Scorpio Rising traits. I really identified with the traits of that Ascendant for some reason.

Could you go into more detail on your planets in the First House?

Recently and co-incidentally, I have been running into alot of Scorpio-Rising natives. Further, I have also been dealing with many people who have planets in their first house, which obviously modifies the physical appearance. For example, I did a chart a while back on a fellow Virgo-Rising man I know who has similar problems and challenges as myself, yet his appearance was different. He has his Sun and Moon in Libra in the 1st, and appears to be taller and a bit younger than most Asc-Virgos, despite the fact that he's on the Taurus Decan. I would still like to figure that out. Also, I did a chart on a Pisces with Cap-rising and the Moon, Mercury and Mars in the First House, yet she looks as though she is a blend of Pisces and Capricorn, not to mention acts it.

Lastly going back to the Scorpio-Rising characteristics - do you also have an interest in the deeper occult sciences besides Astrology? I find it interesting yet fascinating that ALL the Scorpio-Risings I know are into Astrology, and some go far beyond it. Maybe one of my transits or progressions will explain why this has been happening and at the time in like this is happening, but it's all good after all, however.

KWABENA

divine g

Banned
Hey Kwabena,

I recently saw my Draconic chart on astro.com, and it said my Draconic sun sign is 29deg Scorpio, so that could be a reason I identify with Scorpio. I also have Pluto exactly conjuncting my Natal Moon right now, so I actually feel like Pluto himself when I'm out and about.

I had a Scorpio girlfriend a few years ago and she got me with one look. I was repelled by her at first, but with one look, I was under her spell, she communicated to a very deep part of me. I'm a Gemini, but I found it odd that I became a bit possessive by the end of the relationship, that's so not Gemini!

Anyway, Mars is conjunct Saturn in my 1st house of Leo. I guess they also combine to give a Scorpionic feel. The more I learn about astrology, I'm learning that there are so many layers to people, you cant just label them as their sun, or moon, or ascendant. Sometimes it really can be cut and dry, but everyone is a combination of so many factors, the basic natal chart is just a rough blueprint I believe.

My Mars/Saturn combo shows in my face even when I was young. As a Gemini, I was always extremely fun, youthful etc., but I instinctively could put across a very serious face when I took pictures. I guess that combo can give off a Scorpionic vibe.

Now I've been factoring in my Solar Return chart, which has Puto Rising for this year, my progressed chart which has Virgo and Mars/Saturn Rising for a long time to come, and my Draconic chart which still has Mars/Saturn rising, but in Aquarius. I think there's a degree of truth in all of it, and that no single chart gives the whole picture..

Kwabena

Whew! It's been so long since I last checked this thread. Now that I have more time, I will pick up where I left off.

Yes - I too seen my Draconic Chart, and just like you, Scorpio was my Sun sign. However, one advantage you have over me is you know how to read Draconic Charts - would you be able to help me better understand them so I can read them well as well?

Thanks in advance!

KWABENA

Vivien

Wow! Just look at the similarities between your facial structures, the shape of your eyes, the eyebrows, the hair...even the expression of your mouths are similar! :mrgreen:

It's somewhat difficult to compare our facial features due to the large age difference, but I think I definately have the same forehead and eyebrows as Jacques Brel. I can't do that cool arch trick he does with his eyebrow, but I've certainly mastered the narrow-eyed stare! :twisted:

Arian Maverick

P.S. Do you think you can add a representative of both genders to each sign? I'm curious to see more examples of what a typical female Aries may look like...

woow what an interesting thread! :)

cocoloco

I am a second decan Scorpio ascendant in the tropical astrology. And Pisces is also my Sun sign, so in addition to the neptune influence on my ascendant I have Pisces as my Sun sign and moon sign. Thus, I feel a lot more like a Pisces than a Scorpio. I believe I resemble a lot more like a Pisces than a Scorpio too. :happy: My Pisces trait include my watery eyes and tendency to double chin with weight gain. I also have a lot of feet pain. I tan easily but cannot keep the tan for very long. I heard that Scorpio are supposed to be tanner than others. I don't think I have those penetrating eyes at all.

I am a third decan Libra ascendant in Sidereal astrology, so according to that I have Gemini influence. I don't believe I look younger than my age, but I do like to stay busy and active in my life. My libra traits include everything on my face and body is rather balanced, I even like to keep my life balanced. My face is oval, the shape in between that of a Libra/Pisces. I am rather tall, and I do have dimples!

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Could you be able to answer my following question?

I don't know my exact birth time. Can you please estimate my rising sign by looking at my photo?
My mother is caucasian(circassian) and my father is turkish(anatolian turk from turkey) so i am a mixed raced man .
Rising signs differ for every race . I assume, your ascendant definitions are for pure caucasians .

My photo is attached:

I can explain my physical appearance roughly just as follows:

My attached photo is darker than original. Actually I'm white,not brunette ,my eye color is brown(with emerald green ring outside of my iris), I am 41 years old but as you can see from attached photo I look very much younger than my actual age. I am 1.77 cm tall and 73 kg.

Photo has been taken 4 months ago.

Thanks.

Attachments

• hakan.jpg
    hakan.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 68

Claire19

My ascendant, Cancer, fits me perfectly. I have pale skin, a round face, all of it. Jupiter and Chiron is rising as well, and that fits too; I'm tall and have a big frame, and look pretty centaur-ish, I think. :p
What is your Moon doing?

brooke24

Sorry but those descriptions are the biggest load of garbage i have ever read! Its absolute rubbish. How could you possibly tell a person's eye color from a rising sign ? People of all different signs have different hair and eye coloring. Plus 'they will be disliked by all they come across'....hell no wonder people act like blind sheep these days. There are always exceptions too. All seem to assume Libra rising are the only 'good looking' sign there is. It is not true. I have Pis on the ascendant and have been a model since i was 14. I have two lib rising friends who are average..like most people if i was truly honest..we all know that. At the same time looks aren't all that matter.

SecretGarden

Sorry but those descriptions are the biggest load of garbage i have ever read! Its absolute rubbish. How could you possibly tell a person's eye color from a rising sign ? People of all different signs have different hair and eye coloring. Plus 'they will be disliked by all they come across'....hell no wonder people act like blind sheep these days. There are always exceptions too. All seem to assume Libra rising are the only 'good looking' sign there is. It is not true. I have Pis on the ascendant and have been a model since i was 14. I have two lib rising friends who are average..like most people if i was truly honest..we all know that. At the same time looks aren't all that matter.

This post made me laugh :)

I agree with you, Libra rising does not make someone classically beautiful and Scorpio rising does not make someone automatically sexy. I know a lot of sexy/beautiful people who have random rising signs that wouldn't be typically associated with beauty. I know 2 Scorpio risings that definitely have the piercing Scorpio look, but they are not physically considered to be anything more than average. I know a Libra rising who is very charming, incredibly polite (most of the time - sometimes he can flip a switch - i blame Mars in Pisces), liked by everyone, but he is also pretty close to average. Another girl i know is also a Libra rising but she is very plain and also kind of awkward. I love offbeat people like her but she isn't everyone's cup of tea. i think she's very funny and sweet but i doubt most people would consider her "polite" and "the girl next door"

One of my closest friends is a Virgo rising and she has one of the best bodies I've ever seen and she gets a ton of attention for it. Her face is pretty too, but her body is just amazing, and she's very aware of keeping it fit. Another friend of mine is an Aquarius rising, she also gets a lot of attention because of her body. She is about 5'3" and is slim but curvy (nice feminine assets if you catch my drift). She gets a lot of attention and attracts all kinds of people - probably her airiness.

Lastly, my sister is a Leo rising with a sun in Libra and she is gorgeous. She is not a model but she has been told to model and act several times by several people. She's gotten remarks like "you're the prettiest person I've ever seen" and "you're amazingly gorgeous" from people. She is taller - 5'8" and has long dark brown hair and big eyes. She is thin because she exercises and watches her diet. She also has a very beautiful singing voice.

I'm surprised Leo ascendant isn't mentioned when it comes to appearance. They have a very regal bearing and appeal to a lot of people.

Sagittarius is another attractive ascendant, known for big eyes and a fun personality. But like brooke24 said, any rising sign can be beautiful.