Luck in astrology: gift from the gods or personality?

Yoi

Some aspects/planets/placements are said to be "luckier" than others. For example Venus-trine-Jupiter. This is said to bring good luck. Sue Tompkins says, "...even with the hard aspects, money seems to arrive from nowhere and that person is not usually destined to live in abject poverty for long, however much they squander their (or their partner's) resources." Now the question is, astrological things which are considered "lucky" does the good fortune come from just plain rolling the right number on the dice luck (yes, the gods do love me!) or does it come from the fact that the astrological thing, whatever it is, makes your personality traits more attractive to other people (more charismatic, likeable, cute, whatever) and they are more willing to help you?

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Interesting post, Yoi!
Firstly- what is luck? (Don't worry, I don't wish to *derail* your post in a lengthy philosophical rant here!) but I think we do need some sort of *definition* so I head straight for the nearest dictionary- The Macquarie Concise- and I see luck is defined as "that which happens to a person, either good or bad (my italics), as if by chance, in the course of events".
As you have mentioned *venus trine to Jupiter*, the Lesser and Greater Benefics, I will go from there....
So what does/can a venus trine jupiter bring to the native?
I have this list in my astrology *notebook*
love, marriage, social success, gain, Being in the possession of *fine assets*,popularity, preferment, esteem and respect, gain by travel,the harmonious nature of love affairs.
From my personal observations I see that those with this in their natal chart (unless badly aspected by malefics of course!) have a cheerful fun loving nature...generous, good-hearted...the sort of joviality one expects from big-hearted jupiter blended with the refinements of venus..
So having this aspect in the natal would be a big bonus....When badly aspected, the excesses of all the above become manifest and it isn't hard to see how this can turn into *bad luck*...
I have a uranus/jupiter conjunction...it has brought me sudden *good* luck and just as sudden *bad luck*...Once when Transiting mars opposed this, my car was stolen.But once when Tr. Jupiter was trine it, my life was saved-which was another kind of *luck*.
We can all relate cases where luck was bestowed by being *in the right place at the right time* and just as equally,*wrong place at the wrong time* so timing could play a part in *luck* going one way or the other..For timing there is the moon to go by, and...hmmm of course Saturn is *Father Time*, telling us when *our time is up* so these two celestial bodies may be strongly involved....
Does *pars fortuna* play a part? Mine is hidden in the twelfth so i can't say I have benefitted hugely from that placement, although, encouragingly, it is in Jupiter's sign so maybe my help/good fortune/luck comes from *behind the scenes* so to speak, and as it is in sag, perhaps it relates to ninth house matters.- it is trine to pluto in the ninth.I am asking myself *how does this aspect play out in my life?, and I remember all the books etc I have just *stumbled upon* that have both saved and changed my life...another kind of luck? Drawn to *certain*people from all parts of the world to explore the spiritual realms of our existence- yeah-sounds like my life....
My mind keeps coming back to mercury too...is * how we communicate* part of our luck? Who/What we *know*?
I live in the *lucky country*..we are apparently *lucky* because we have *resources* which is a venus ruled phenomenon-the second house, I believe. If say, Neptune were to be residing there it may be that your *resources* are soluble in water (!)..this may be a placement that detracts from any positive venus/jupiter energy.
*Lucky in love* is an expression we sometimes (all too rarely IMO) hear...
You would have to consider the seventh house there too, and if luck is connected to one's marriage partner the eighth house would have some bearing on things too.So that would include venus again and whatever you want to say rules the eighth- (for me I am happy to accept that both mars and pluto share rulership of this house) so mars is going to be a factor too...
i have a friend- sag sun....she is a good example of both good and bad luck. She has venus sextile to jupiter (her sun's ruler) and all up three trines to jupiter from outer planets...she gambles and often wins large sums of money, BUT her Jupiter is opposed by mars- she loses her good fortune in lots of ways.Her pars is trine to neptune...her money is squandered on recreational over-indulgences, BUT her pars is also sextile her MC so when she runs out of money, she just gets another job! She is very accident prone but this is how her luck carries her:
She had an accident, one that would have killed anyone else (!), took legal action against someone with a *no win no pay* lawyer, she *just happened* to meet...Halfway through the case, she withdrew her claim for compensation. Her lawyers didn't go after her for the money it had cost them in the 5 year lead up to the case being heard.. When the *other side* threatened to *counter sue* her for their costs,she threw their *letter of demand* in the bin and never heard from them again.(!) Then, to *celebrate* she went out gambling and won $3000.....which cheered her right up.
Anyway hope I didn't bore you being anecdotal- just thought her chart really typifies the different way *luck* can work..... Cheers, lillyjgc