Should I try for a book deal?

Jeremy

Here is a question I have had in my mind for quite a while, but I haven't actually got it clear in my mind what I wanted to do, so here it is :)

I know nothing about horary, so I am intrigued and ready to be impressed. Actually I am impressed by several horary astrologers here (you know who you are).

Okay, I have written a book. I think it has potential, I have sat on it for a while now, not really sure how to proceed.

My question is, should I send it off to a publisher, or should I not bother?

I realise that sounds a little odd, but the reason I might not send it off is that I am not sure whether it might be better to self-publish as I am really thinking about writing something completely different now that I am done with it. Also, it is a lot of effort to try and get published - I know a little about that as I know a couple of published authors and several unpublished and I am particularly aware of the pain of being rejected time and again, so I am not sure I want all that hassle. Do I need to supply any other info?

It is 20.22 here, GMT, London.

Hopefully,
Jeremy

archergirl

Hi Jeremy,

You will need to comb through the Guidelines here:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/faq.php?faq=horary#faq_horary_astrology_boards

and then have a go at reading your own chart, if you would. This is a learning forum, so every student is expected to participate, especially in his/her own question!:)

Publishing is a 9th house question, but I believe that this is actually a 10th house question, since it has to do with the prestige and success of getting one's work off the ground and out into the public sphere.

So start with the 1st house, the 10th house, and look at the Moon. You can also investigate the 9th house significator, just for laughs, but I think the 10th is where it's at.

We'll give you a hand with it.

Cheers,
AG:)

Jeremy

Okay, this is all new to me, so if I interpret this like a dumbass then you'll know why. And when I say I'm new to it, I am really, really new to it, I've always skipped the stuff about horary!

Also, my location isn't strictly London it's a few miles South of London, anyhow I got a 10 47 Scorpio Asc, so I am going with that, although not sure why it's so different. It puts Sat. in the 10th.

So, here is what I have worked out from my Maurice McCann text...
The question is not premature, nor is it post-mature.
The Moon is not via combusta (but Asc. is), in a late degree, nor is it VoC.
Saturn is neither retrograde in the first nor in the 7th.
Ruler of the 7th is afflicted by aspect, is that correct? That means that I might not be able to judge the question correctly (no surprise there then :))
The Asc. ruler (I guess this is trad. so Mars) is not combust the Sun.
Mars & Jupiter are in mutual reception by exaltation.

Okay, now I'm into "Collection of Light" All I can really say here is wtf? Do I have to know which planets are the main significators? I don't really get this.
I guess what I need to look at is applying major aspects between Mars (ruling Asc.) and the Sun, (ruler of the 10th). I guess that's where the Collection of Light comes in? Alternatively, if it's the 9th then that would signify the Moon and I get no aspect between Mars and the Moon.

If I use the modern ruler of the Asc then that doesn't change matters either.
It appears quite complicated, but I notice that the Sun and Moon make no aspect except to each other. What do I do next? *sob*

Last edited:

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Jeremy: I seem to have posted the wrong chart here. It helps if we are all on the same page, so.....
I was not sure of the *date* you asked the question- and also Daylight savings time-that's why its better to post the chart yourself.I used regiomontanus houses as is customary for horary.
However, I'll give it another try. If THIS chart is correct I'll go back and delete the other one.
I look forward to assisting you with your question.
all the best,
Lillyjgc

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/
f084r8.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy

That's the one I have Lilly, I am going to have a look at the collection of light, translation of light, prohibition and most apt of all, frustration and concentrate really, really hard!!

Thank you too for your trouble, it's always nice to have some help :)

Jeremy

Here is what I have worked out, very uncertainly, so please let me know if I have gone wrong.
So far as I can tell there is no Collection of Light in this case.
The Sun's antiscia and contra-antiscia is at 21'08 Leo/Aquarius. The contra-antiscion of the Sun is therefore conjunct Chiron and NN (which I guess are useless in horary?) and Neptune somewhat. For Mars it is 5'58 Gemini/Sag. It forms no conjunctions.

So far as I know there is no Translation of Light either. There are no planets separating from one and applying to the other. There are no third party planets in parallel and in contra-parallel to both Sun and Mars. Sun is contraparallel Neptune, but that is all. The translation by antiscia is less eas for me to work out. I get a Yod to the Sun's antiscia from Jupiter and Uranus and I presume that has no meaning. Inconjuncts are out right? Mercury is square to the Sun's antiscia though and is 13 degrees from opposition to Mars' antiscia and since Mercury gets 7 degrees orb that seems out.
I don't think there is a prohibition.
I don't think there is frustration.
There is no refranation.
There is no combustion.
So I kind of get nothing; is that bad? Or have I got it all horribly wrong?

Jeremy

Also, I wondered if this might have a 7th house connotation too, since I am looking to find a "contract". I realise though that it gets a bit wide-ranging, because you could always say 2nd house: I need the money right?
:)

lillyjgc

jeremy: Will take a look after work.Also I need to check which houses to use here-this is quite a tricky horary-and if its your first one I'm sure it will be an interesting experience for you and a learning one for us.I deleted the incorrect chart so hopefully we are all now working from the same info!

Cheers, Lilly

Jeremy

Thanks Lilly, I was kind of thinking this thread had gone the way of the Dodo, so of course I would be delighted to have any help at all,

:)

lillyjgc

Ok Jeremy.
I look at the ascendant-scorpio thus mars becomes your ruler.
As a *book you have written* is a *creative endeavour* I look to the fifth to see the condition of the book itself.

The fifth is ruled by a late degree of jupiter-the natural ruler of publishing (as publishing comes under the auspices of the ninth house) so for me this confirms the radicality of the chart.

Your ruler and the books ruler recently completed an opposition- 2 *somethings* ago-I guess this is the time frame you considered the book *finished*..
Anyone with whom you seek to make a contract is ruled by the seventh- so the *publishing company with whom you would like to sign* is Venus, the ruler of your creative endeavour. (as Taurus rules H7 cusp).

I look now for an applying aspect between you- mars and Venus...I see a past aspect there- a square between mars and venus-perhaps you have considered this idea in the past and not proceeded with it (almost 4 *somethings* ago.

Venus however is in your sign (by being in Aries she is thus ruled by mars and she is in detriment there.-I take this to mean that in the past a book company may not have looked favourably upon your project -or at least you perceived they would not).

Venus is soon to move in to the sign of exaltation, Taurus.So in 2 *somethings* (months?) a book company might be more likely to seriously consider the book.
Your ruler, Mars is in the ninth house (of publishing)-another testimony to the chart being radical.The moon is ruling that house and mars is in fall there too, so maybe you arent feeling too positive about the books potential acceptance.

The moon is in your third house- :eek:f mental matters, and book writing would come into the third too.This house is ruled by saturn and saturn is in virgo,mercury's sign -mercury being the natural ruler of the third.
Saturn is well placed on the MC there-given strength by being angular but retrograde, heading back toward the ninth...suggesting to me that to some extent a re-write/re-edit or similar may need to be undertaken and attests to the serious content of the book itself.

Jupiter is also in the house of your mental activities and in saturn's sign. and jupiter is trined by mercury in the house of the publishing company, although mercury is just past the trine.
Mercury is ruler of your eighth house of shared resources here and applies a sextile to your ruler mars.(in about 2 *somethings*.Mercury is in a fixed sign which indicates a longer time frame)

As your ruler, mars does not make any applying aspects at the moment it seems that at present you arent actively involved in trying to get the book published.
The ruler of the book is Saturn and saturn also makes no applying (ptolemaic) aspects at the moment but is stationary about to go direct again.
The moon too is temporarily void of course, but will conjunct the node on the cusp of the fourth house-the outcome.

To sum up, Jeremy I don't think you will submit your manuscript for publication in the forseeable future, but there are some good indications that the book is worthy of publication.
I hadnt realised the moon was void of course until I was well into the chart but normally I wouldnt read a chart with a void of course moon- it often indicates that *nothing will come of the matter*. The final aspect the moon will make before leaving the sign is a conjunction to neptune which again re-iterates the concept of the matter not reaching fruition.
One important aspect of horary which you might not be aware of, being new to horary, is that for a horary chart to really *work*, there must be a strong investment on the part of the querent, really *needing* to know the answer. From my experience, charts that lack this essential ingredient generally do not yield the definitive strident answers that a chart yields when that emotional connection is there.I cant really explain why this is so, except to say that William Lilly believed it to be so and placed it in his list of *considerations before judgement*.
(when my dog went missing, for example, I was almost in tears when i cast the chart that accurately predicted her arrival home in 7 *somethings* which turned out to be MINUTES!).
Best wishes to you
Lillyjgc

Jeremy

Lilly, I cannot really thank you adequately for this; it is peculiar to say the least because now I have read this - and it is uncannily accurate by the way - I suspect that I really knew the answer all along. I am not sure it tells me what I should do, but if I had to sum up my feelings on the subject I would say that because I have written a book I feel a certain self-promulgated requirement to send it to a publisher, and yet I have been feeling held back somehow, as if (and this describes my sense entirely) "the time is not right."

That's how I have been feeling, I realise now, but it sounds rather silly when I say it out loud; it is as though I am waiting for something to happen in my life before I can even consider attempting to get it published.

I am having a really odd time which I can't even begin to explain. A certain message on the boards here today opened my eyes to an issue in my life that I hadn't even understood was an issue at all; it rather like realising suddenly that you are shut in a room and for no reason at all, waking up to find there is a door. I am a little shell-shocked by it all.

My book is a funny subject, I cannot say too much because I sound conceited when I talk about it; suffice to say I am kind of scared of it; it is like that old wisdom about being more fearful of realising our greatest potential than our worst failing and I am quite bizarrely at odds in my thinking than pretty much everyone I know these days; I feel like an imposter. Did you see The Invasion yet? The remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Nicole Kidman; that's how I feel.

My book then is a rationalisation of that sense of myself; it is like the idea which Alan Watts made something of about it "being too big to ever say" and that was what I wrote, I believe it answers one of the key conundrums of life.

That said, I wrote it all out at the point of my Neptune square and I do worry that it might be a little too 'wanting to merge' in its message, so possibly the rewrite you mention is possible. I need to go and think about it, (or wait for an omen :))

Thank you Lilly, your insights are truly precious to me, sincerely,
J