Mythology's role in astrology?

Junke

Would a knowledge of Mythology (Greek or Roman) improve understanding of Astrology? Just wondering, cause I've read a lot of stuff where astrologer's go into mythology to explain stuff...

Also, in your opinion, Which Mythology would you suggest someone study? As in, which of those two do you like more or find more interesting?

Natasha

Indeed - knowledge of Greek and Roman (but particularly Greek) mythology is very relevant to the type of astrolgy which I practice.
THe myths of the gods who rule the signs & planets link in with the actual planet.
I studied mythology as a part of my astrological studies & found it illuminating.
I recomend books by Liz Greene, the late Howard Saportas and Erin Sullivan to further ones understanding of the link between mythology & astrology.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I would disagree. While a knowledge of mythology is always interesting, unfortunately it won't get you past some rather shallow associations between the planets and Signs and the deities or myths they are connected to.

For instance, you could use it to identify Venus as the goddess and star of love, but there is more to her than that than cannot be answered or understood with an understanding of those Venus/Aprhodite myths alone. As for Signs, you'd understand where they supposedly came from with the myths, but the fact that Cancer is the crab that Hera sent to attack Heracles is in no way indicative of anything the Sign of Cancer is associated with.

In short: Interesting base, but not much to stand on as you move on.

Mythology does help in understanding astrology, look at the the Myth of Saturn and Uranus and the battle between them. We See this enacted in real life, through forums traditional vs Modern, through any group establishments. You see the conflict in our daily life of these planets. Although I am no mythology expert, a little knowledge is valuable and can be helpful in helping bring astrology to life.

Junke

I was thinking more about the planets in mythology, not the signs, but I can pretty much see where you're coming from.

Some thing I had read, but I can't remember exactly, said something about how through our ascendants' ruler, we express the certain myth. It just got me thinking..