Spica in Houses

JUPITERASC

The reference is to planets being Via Combusta, in the Fiery Road or "Burned Path", which consideration goes back to Greco/Roman times (but is not found in Vedic astrology, nor in Modernist astrology) The Via Combusta (15 Libra to 15 Scorpio) doctrine indicates a debilitation for planets posited therein, excepting for Saturn and Mars (most of the ancients exempted these planets from debilitation due to the exaltation of Saturn, the terms of Saturn and Mars, and the rulership of Mars-in the Scorpio part of the road) Moon, Venus, Jupiter, Mercury and Sun, were (are) considered most especially detrimented when "in the Road".

My own opinion is that there is some degree of validity to this ancient doctrine, but that these detrimental Via Comusta influences are more pertinent to elections, event, horary and mundane delineations, than to natal, although I do believe planets progressing or transiting through the "Fiery Road" can be somewhat modified in their progressed/transit influences upon the native.

However planets conjunct Tropical 24 Libra are supported and assisted by fixed star Spica :smile:

dr. farr

Yes, actually I believe that Spica rescues any planet from debility within Spica's orb of longitudinal conjunction-following Robson here, that would be from 21 Libra through 26 Libra.
Also, do not forget the almost conjunct Arcturus (24 Libra), every bit as fortunate and constructive as Spica, another glorius star: this 23/24 Libra area is pretty much made highly beneficial, for any cusp or planet which falls in these degrees.

Last edited:

tikana

Whew, that's a relief.
I didn't know about the debility of Venus in those degrees of Libra...thought she was Libra's ruler.

Kuntu.. via combusta is not harsh debility for venus in libra .. however in scorpio it is very harsh considering the fact that is within +1/-/-1 orb with spica .. and the fact tat venus is in 10th house where it is on top of the world, it is extra strong. you got enough power to completely disable venus via combusta out of the debility

T

Ruka_5

Banned
The reference is to planets being Via Combusta, in the Fiery Road or "Burned Path", which consideration goes back to Greco/Roman times (but is not found in Vedic astrology, nor in Modernist astrology) The Via Combusta (15 Libra to 15 Scorpio) doctrine indicates a debilitation for planets posited therein, excepting for Saturn and Mars (most of the ancients exempted these planets from debilitation due to the exaltation of Saturn, the terms of Saturn and Mars, and the rulership of Mars-in the Scorpio part of the road) Moon, Venus, Jupiter, Mercury and Sun, were (are) considered most especially detrimented when "in the Road".

My own opinion is that there is some degree of validity to this ancient doctrine, but that these detrimental Via Comusta influences are more pertinent to elections, event, horary and mundane delineations, than to natal, although I do believe planets progressing or transiting through the "Fiery Road" can be somewhat modified in their progressed/transit influences upon the native.

Thanks for this! I had no clue.

Kuntuzangmo

Kuntu.. via combusta is not harsh debility for venus in libra .. however in scorpio it is very harsh considering the fact that is within +1/-/-1 orb with spica .. and the fact tat venus is in 10th house where it is on top of the world, it is extra strong. you got enough power to completely disable venus via combusta out of the debility

T

Mmm, will you translate that in simple language?

tsmall

Premium Member

Really random, free association thought here (and thank you for the wonderful explination.)... is there any correlation between Via Combusta and Via Dolorosa? Because the symbolism is almost too juicy to ignore.

filly

Yes, actually I believe that Spica rescues any planet from debility within Spica's orb of longitudinal conjunction-following Robson here, that would be from 21 Libra through 26 Libra.
Also, do not forget the almost conjunct Arcturus (24 Libra), every bit as fortunate and constructive as Spica, another glorius star: this 23/24 Libra area is pretty much made highly beneficial, for any cusp or planet which falls in these degrees.

Hi! I have it conjunct Ascendant and North Node, what would you say about that? The description I read on the net is too vague, it sounds like I born to be a millionaire :D Oh well, at least gives me hope!

*missed something*

Do you use parans as well? Which method is more valid to you?

Thanks in advance ;)

Last edited:

dr. farr

NN with Spica connected with the ascending degree is a very benefic influence which will have a positive modifying influence upon the entire natal chart!

No, I do not use parans-too complex for my limited brainpower! I have simply used longitudinal conjunction and Parallel of declination, and only count conjunctions/Parallels (not other aspects) This simple approach has worked very well and shed much light on chart delineations, for me...

filly

NN with Spica connected with the ascending degree is a very benefic influence which will have a positive modifying influence upon the entire natal chart!

No, I do not use parans-too complex for my limited brainpower! I have simply used longitudinal conjunction and Parallel of declination, and only count conjunctions/Parallels (not other aspects) This simple approach has worked very well and shed much light on chart delineations, for me...

I find Parans very interesting! But as you say complicated...

And I'm realizing more and more as I explore other charts that fixed stars when conjunct totaly derive the energy of the planets/angles into their direction. Like a commanding force. And they can even rule the chart where all the bodies are mere pieces of a chess play...

Sorry, don't want to deviate this thread so much from spica...but I posted a thread on Exorcists/priests and all of the 5 charts that I posted have at least a major fixed star conjunction(John Paul II has Mars exact on Spica)...not to mention stelliums on Caput Algol (the most evil star) and the exactness of the conjunctions don't seem so important as being around that area...That was my feeling

I have vertex conjunct Algol and Lilith is nearby...So there's a big duality in my chart I suppose, like"go to hell to get in heaven". But comforts me somehow to know that some of this holly men have been there and they are good people :)

My child has Sun, Moon and NN conjunct Regulus...It really scares me!

JUPITERASC

Hi :)
Do you have any more information on Arcturus.
I have my moon at 24degr12.
Some info on Arcturus from Anne Wright's web pages http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Stars_alphabet.htm
which state according to Robson - Moon conj Arcturus: New friends, business success, good judgment, domestic harmony [Robson*, p.139.]

I find Parans very interesting! But as you say complicated...!
Monk has a thread on parans related to Sirius http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=327853#post327853
Hi Mark, There has always been debate between Parans and projected measure on fixed stars, in history both measures have been used...
Not all calendars are fixed to midnight as start of day, an example below:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florentine_calendar
link to a clear explanation of parans provided by Monk

Last edited:

Valis

Thank you very much guys! :joyful:

EDIT: I have a special soft spot for fixed stars because I've had such a hard time figuring out which house system I would use and wether to use tropical or sidereal and the fixed stars seem to just be there, no debate.
I have mars and nn conjunct regulus and my asc at cap 13°47 is pretty close to the longitude of Vega (15°19 in 2000...so around 14°9 in 1980???). I did get the Diana Rosenberg Fixed Stars report as a present though and it had no mention of Vega in the paragraph about my asc, just Ascella (the armpit ;D of the archer).
Now if there was ever something I'd love to "have" on my natal would be a star of Lyra rising just because of being a singer and the lore of Orpheus <3 ....

As the post was about Spica in houses and since I'm using whole sign it would land in the 10th house of career/public recognition in my chart, which should be good for a musician, but who knows. ;D

Last edited:

dr. farr

I have Venus conjunct Spica, now that's matter. :rightful:

Yes, that is a very + situation both for net Venus influences in your chart and a help to the houses (signifying areas/departments of life)disposited by Venus as well (ie, whatever houses Libra and Taurus cover)

JUPITERASC

Kuntu.. via combusta is not harsh debility for venus in libra .. however in scorpio it is very harsh considering the fact that is within +1/-/-1 orb with spica .. and the fact tat venus is in 10th house where it is on top of the world, it is extra strong. you got enough power to completely disable venus via combusta out of the debility T
Mmm, will you translate that in simple language?
Kuntu
quite difficult .. look up Essential and accidental dignity T
Kuntuzangmo, Essential and accidental dignity tells us that Venus is in detriment in Scorpio

Furthermore, QUOTE:
"
If a planet is situated in a sign which opposes its own it is said to be in detriment, a word which literally means to be harmed or damaged. Since a planet's own sign is regarded as its stronghold, it follows that the furthest sign from this should be viewed as its most vulnerable position.

A planet in detriment or fall is in a precarious condition, more so if it is peregrine or otherwise afflicted. To have many planets debilitated in this way in a nativity is considered a sign of obscurity and low birth. Firmicus described such a person as: wretched, poor, low of birth and constantly plagued by had luck (Mathesis, 2.3.3).
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig2.html

IMO - 2 cents worth - Via Combusta includes degrees of both Libra and Scorpio. However, Venus in Libra (domicile) is in better condition than Venus in Scorpio (detriment) because although both are in Via Combusta, Venus in Libra is "at home/in own stronghold"

Furthermore, since your Venus in 3rd is conjunct the beneficial fixed star Spica then the influence of Spica cancels out negativity of Via Combusta. Thus, Venus is strong because Venus is also ruler of an angular house - i.e. Taurus 10th house

These special circumstances are created by the benefic influence of the fixed star Spica

http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Stars_alphabet.htm states "Spica conjunct Venus brings Benefits from friends, social success HOWEVER false friends of own sex. [Robson*, p.212.]" :smile:

Last edited:

princess valhalla

Dr. Farr,

What does it mean if the vertex of my natal chart is at 24 degree Libra?

Thanks,

Sarah