Using Solar Arcs to Rectify a Natal Chart

Lela

Hi!

I always use Solar Arc to rectify birth time! From my experience, best results are obtained when using dates of relocation. SA Uranus to angle (or SA angle to Uranus) gives very good results!
I found that love matters are not very good for rectification (unless you have marriage/divorce date) so I do not use them. After I find out correct birth time I use Solar Arc aspect to predict love matters!

I usually ask for 3-5 important dates (translocations, graduation, first job, something very important (but not love!)...) and then I try to align dates with solar arc aspects! Program that I use (Solar Fire) can work with seconds! My birth time (from birth certificate) was wrong in only one minute.

Hope this helps!

Lela

ceres76

Hi Lela!

And is it always the MC that is involved? For ex. in matters of relocation, which angle would it be? Also, you use a relocation chart do do the progressions, and then the solar arc on top of that, is that correct?

ceres76

Arian Maverick

I don't have any professional astrological software, which may be one of the reasons why I have been so confused about solar arc until now; Astrodienst only includes solar arc with transits and progressions included, and I'm still not sure I've correctly identified which planets are the SA ones! :rolleyes:

I suppose conjunctions to the natal Ascendant would be the most potent aspects to use, but unfortunately, the majority of planets in my natal chart are located in the first and tenth houses and have quite a ways to go to make a conjunction with the Ascendant or Nadir. Oppositions to the Ascendant would be the same as conjunctions to the Descendant and oppositions to the Midheaven would be the same as conjunctions to the Nadir, but these aspects still don't help me very much; unfortunately, neither does the square aspect, for my major angles are almost perfectly square each other. Would a trine or sextile of SA planets to my natal angles have any effect, or must the aspect be disharmonious to manifest itself in an obvious and recognizable way? Should I venture into minor aspects, and if so, which ones?

Yet another question: how old must one and how many major events must have transpired for the rectification process to work? I have not yet reached my Saturn Return and will not do so for another ten years or so, but I'm pretty sure that the time on my birth certificate is accurate within five minutes. Therefore, would less events be required to rectify my natal chart?

Finally, given my age, what sort of events could I use? I have collected all sorts of data for small, insignificant events that have taken place since I began studying astrology, but I don't think these are the types of events I should use for rectification. The only major ones whose exact dates I remember include the death of my grandmother and the death of my two favorite pets; of course other events have transpired over the years, but although I can remember details such as the month and year, the exact day is fuzzy. Can I use "generic" events that apply to large groups of people, such as the date of my high school graduation and the date I begin college (tomorrow)?

Does anyone know if one of the free downloadable astrology programs such as Astrolog, Canopus, or WinAstro have features that would make this work easier?

I apologize for all of the questions, but I have been longing to solve the mystery of my Ascendant/Midheaven signs since I found a copy of my birth certificate. I feel I have a Pisces Ascendant, but I need some tangible evidence to validate this although it is not very Piscean of me. As much as I would like to have more Virgo in my chart, I do not believe the nurses confused AM with PM. :D

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

starlink

AM, in Astrodienst, if you choose a natal chart with progressions and Solar Arc, then it gives you a list, beneath the chart, next to the grid (with only the natal aspects) of the different planets places. First row is the natal planets, next row the Progressions (usually in blue if I am not mistaken) and next to that the Solar Arc positions of the planets (in Green). A bit further on the right you see in red, blue and green the positions of the Ascendants and MC's.

starlink

Hi Lela! I am doing exactly the same thing as you do and it gives me also great results. I do ask for Marriage and Divorce, but it is indeed not a bad idea to ask this after having determined the Ascendant and MC.

starlink

AM, I dont really think it matters how old you are, but there should indeed be a significant occurence at some time, like indeed a relocation, in order to use a Solar Arc direction, not really the death of your pets, but of your parents yes.Now, you could have moved at the age of 3 from the US to Europe or something and that could be seen from a Solar Arc direction. Even if you dont remember and ask the parents, they usually will remember. Another major event is indeed graduation, start of a business (I saw that one recently) but I also could see major love relationships. It is difficult to see whether it is a marriage coming up or a very important relationship (after all some people live together for years and never marry), but Solar Arc Venus or Solar Arc 7th house cusp (cusps play a very important role!) or Solar Arc Moon to Venus, things like that give very good information.
I also have a big problem with my Ascendant. Even though the babybook says 6.45 PM, Ascendant is 29°41' Scorpio. Both my parents have died and my mother really did not remember things very well, so asking her when we moved from the Far East to Europe I have to find out elsewhere (letters written by them for instance).I was relocated about 6 times with my ex husband and before that also several times with my parents before the age of 12. I once rectified and still got Scorpio Asc. but at that time I was not all too proficient yet and I actually have to do it again.

Arian Maverick

Thanks, starlink :)

In your experience, how accurate must the dates be in order to effectively use aspects of the solar arc planets to the Ascendant? Did you note the exact day of each of your relocations, or did you go by more approximate memory?

I haven't relocated houses yet, but I have relocated schools--several times, in fact. I remember the exact day I started one school because it corresponded with my aunt's birthday, but I don't remember the exact day I started the second because I had more pressing matters to attend to at the time. Could I use these events for rectification, and if so, what planets and aspects should I pay particular attention to?

These school relocations both occurred within the same year; should I only use the first because the solar arcs will likely be similar?

Arian Maverick

unukalhai

Ah, interesting thread! I need to play around with rectification more, I've toyed with SA rectification a bit but haven't applied the technique enough to be confident with it.

Does anyone know if one of the free downloadable astrology programs such as Astrolog, Canopus, or WinAstro have features that would make this work easier?

Yes, astrolog32 will handle solar arcs quite nicely.

Pressing Alt+Shift+P will bring up the progression options dialog, there you can select "Solar Arc Directions". Then Alt+Shift+N puts the chart into Progressed&Natal mode, which has the natal positions on the inside with arc positions on the outer ring, showing aspects between them. Ctrl+Alt+P brings up the progressed object dialog, which allows you to select which objects to progress.

Alt+Shift+Z allows you to set data for the second chart, which in Progressed&Natal mode is simply the date for the progression. If you have an event chart already created, opening the event chart as Chart #2 (Alt+Shift+O) in Progressed&Natal mode progresses the first chart to the event date. In Progressed&Natal mode animation moves the progressed date, not the main chart, so you can use animation to watch arcs form. I recommend turning down the animation delay (Alt+Shift+G) to 25 because the default of 1000 makes it move quite slowly (1 step per second). Check out the animation menu for all the shortcut keys for the animation functions.

Arian Maverick

Thank you, unukalhai! :39:

Pressing Alt+Shift+P will bring up the progression options dialog, there you can select "Solar Arc Directions". Then Alt+Shift+N puts the chart into Progressed&Natal mode, which has the natal positions on the inside with arc positions on the outer ring, showing aspects between them. Ctrl+Alt+P brings up the progressed object dialog, which allows you to select which objects to progress.

I was able to get to the Progressions window using the Alt+Shift+P "code" you gave, but there, I didn't see Solar Arc Directions--only Solar Arc Progression. I clicked OK, but the chart didn't seem to alter at all :confused:

EDIT: I think I was able to get a comparison between the two charts, but although I was able to remove the Uranians, there's still a lot of data to process. Is there any way for the sake of rectification for only allowing aspects from SA planets to the Ascendant?

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

unukalhai

Arian Maverick said:
Thank you, unukalhai! :39:

You're welcome :)

I was able to get to the Progressions window using the Alt+Shift+P "code" you gave, but there, I didn't see Solar Arc Directions--only Solar Arc Progression.

Sounds like you are using Astrolog 5.41 or earlier rather than Astrolog32? I think the original Astrolog called them progressions and it was corrected in Astrolog32 to be called Solar Arc Directions as it technically should be.

Whatever the case, it's just a technicality -- technically, arcs are directions (directing the entire chart at the Sun's speed) rather than a progression, but often they are considered another "flavor" of progressions.

Ah, Virgoish details :p bane of my existance lol.

Astrolog32 can be found at:
http://uk.geocities.com/astrolog32/
should you desire to "upgrade" :)

(yes, I know there is a newer 2.02 version out from another guy, but he made some changes I don't like... )

I clicked OK, but the chart didn't seem to alter at all :confused:

You were probably not yet in Progressed&Natal mode, Alt+Shift+N, so you were simply still looking at the natal chart. Try Alt+Shift+N to get into Progressed&Natal mode, then change the progression type setting, you should see a change in the outer ring planets. If not, something is amiss.

EDIT: I think I was able to get a comparison between the two charts, but although I was able to remove the Uranians, there's still a lot of data to process. Is there any way for the sake of rectification for only allowing aspects from SA planets to the Ascendant?

Yes.
Alt+R brings up the primary chart (natal) object selections
Ctrl+Alt+P brings up the progressed (or directed, in SA mode, hehe) object selections.

So, to show only aspects from SA planets to natal ascendant, you'd select only the ascendant in the Alt+R window (clear out all the other checks)

EDIT: If I recall properly, the 5.x version of astrolog may be the opposite, you may need to check everything except the ascendant.. I think this was flipped around in Astrolog32, but I dont have a copy of 5.x handy to verify, but seem to recall from memory this is the case. bah!

Also, to get back to "normal" natal chart (single ring) mode, just press c... Alt+Shift+N takes you to Progressed&Natal, Alt+N to Transit&Natal. Nice easy switch, great for looking at the coincidences of progs&transits. On that note, Alt+Shift+F brings you to transit object selection, allowing you to restrict which objects are shown in transit mode.

Alt+Shift+A takes you to aspect settings, allowing you to customize which aspects to display.

I wish there were better docs on Astrolog32, I've wanted to write a manual for it for a while but haven't found the time. Too many projects already it seems!

Last edited:

Themis

hi all, i'm very interested in this thread. i was just wondering whether the Solar Arc direction is the only best way to rectify a chart? anyboby uses the second progressions or other techniques? who can recommend a good book on rectifications? thanks:)

starlink

Hi AM, well, the closer to the date the better of course. Usually the exact date is not remembered, but the year and month usually is and then you could almosts find the day with the use of the Solar Arc Direction in case it should be smack bang on your MC or Asc. I go by memory (of course) and ask around if I am not so sure anymore. The year is easy to remember, but the month already more difficult, let alone the day!! I once remembered only because I just got my daughter 17 April and because she was too small to travel I had to wait 2 month before I could follow my husband to Peru, so I knew it had to be in June of that year. Then I found in the babybook I made for her, the ticket receipt of my daughters first overseas flight, so I had the exact date. I was lucky there of course. But usually I have to really think hard, find correspondence, whatever. (pictures do nicely too, sometimes with dates on the back ("this is me arriving at airport in .....").

I saw you had trouble getting the Solar Arc directions. I, now for about 4 years, use Astrodienst because my computer crashed and my programm with it and the CD with the original I could not find anymore (got it 10 or more years ago). So I did not want to buy a new one straight away. Will maybe then buy the Solar Fire one, mentioned by Lela. But using Astrodienst, you dont have to do anything difficult at all. Just choose the option "natal combined with progressed and solar arc " and you get all the positions instantly (not the aspects they make with natal charts unless you do a progressed by itself. I dont think there is a Solar Arc chart by itself) but that you can figure out for yourself.

Lela

Ceres, I usually look for SA Uranus to Ascendant for relocation! That gives me best results. According to Noel Tyl: SA Uranus to Asc. is connected with new start (major), geographic relocation. SA Uranus to MC could also be connected with job change, change of profession, reorganization of family life and also geographic relocation. It is important to mention that explanations are a bit different when we are considering for example SA MC to natal Uranus! I use relocation chart for predictions.

Arian Maverick, there is demo version of Solar Fire on internet. When you downloaded it please send me a private mail:). Well, when using aspects from Solar arc, I was instructed to use only hard aspects (conjunction, square, opposition…) because these are the one that bring changes. Good aspects (trine, sextile) tend to leave things as they are. I did not have much success with time of deaths. If you want you can send me your private data by mail and I can look at it when find some free time.

Lela

Atria

Hi Arian, my teacher taught us how to rectificate and he discover many new symbolic directions we used them every day, and they help a lot in many ways, his teachings are in spanish , we are going to traduce them, but if like you can give me the events of your life or of someone else,day month and year, we can rectificate on line your chart or another one, and see how it works, we reach the time of birth until 5 or 6 seconds and then we use the multiple keys, if you want ll send you an example , the great Morin de Villefrance medieval astrologer , mathematician, a genius, rectificates always with a great precision, with Ptolomeo symbolic direction one year= one grade, (degree) and predict the death of king of sweden to Richelieu. we need 15 or 20 events of the life of the person and then i ll show you and who has interest,how to do it. My chart , my family and many friends are rectificated and not only helps ( a lot), we learn every day from them,
one of my wishes is that this method can be used by every one ... . Can we try to do it? for me will be a great happiness, i ll search the story of the prediction of king of sweden, the limitation for me is my english , so it i will be a bit slow to answer, the best Atria

starlink

Hello Lela, I have also seen inconjuncts being effective of changes as well as exact half sextiles strangely enough.

starlink

Atria, thank you very much for offering this rectification method. I am curious about it (I am always curious), and I think your English is very adequate. I could understand everything and that is what matters right? Let's see what Arian Maverick says about it.

Lela

Starlink,

I am writing diary since childhood (app. 20 years) and I am able to compare all aspects (progressions, transits, SA) to happenings in my life. However, I could not find clear explanation for majority of events. Ok, I found some most important aspects/events but also could not find some other important events.

SA conjunctions bring most visible changes (inner planets and angles, outer to inner planets/angles)! I could also trace squares and semisquares (From AstrologyNotes: When activated, the semisquare indicates drive and ambition. It is not a pleasant energy, but that actually makes it more useful as otherwise it might be too weak to encourage change. Since it promotes ambition, the result is to push something forward (which could possibly result in opposition from others). However, the end result should be positive if kept under control) but I am not so sure about semisextiles (From AstrologyNotes:The effect is to evolve in some way in order to reach a stable, functioning relationship between the issues represented by the planets, signs and houses. Planets in semisextile are in different genders, elements and qualities. The effect could feel harmonious or aggressive depending on the signs and planets, although the results are generally good since it encourages integration. Semisextiles containing a cardinal sign and/or angular house may be more obvious). Well, I could say that I am beginner in predictive astrology so that explains a lot:).

It is interesting that I found aspects that involve “general ruler” to be more adequate in solar arc and sec. progressions interpretation than aspects that involve ruler of natal houses.

Starlink, what literature are you using? What is your experience with midpoints?

Atria, I am also interested to learn your rectification method!

Lela

Andonis

Hi Atria, I will be very interested to hear your method. A detailed example will be great!
I will also be interested to hear about rectification methods......Thanks