Astrology Book Recommendations

Zaphod

My favourite. The Astrologers Handbook by Sakoian. Written in the 1970's but for me still the best book around. Simple and clearly laid out. It appeals to my Virgo sense of order.

http://www.myastrologycharts.com

I still think The Astrologer's Handbook (don't forget co-author Louis Acker) is excellent for "nuts & bolts" astrology of the more pragmatic (as distinct from the psychoanalytical) type. It seems to fall somewhere in between the empiricism of the traditionalists and the more theoretical paradigm-busting of the New Age revisionists. Although I haven't been a beginner for decades, I just ordered Carter's "Principles of Astrology" and Robson's "A Student's Textbook of Astrology," since I continue to benefit from frequent reinforcement of the basics. I will probably follow up with Magaret Hone at some point. At the other end of the spectrum (sort of), I'm now reading "The General Principles of Astrology," which is a reconfiguration of the two books Aleister Crowley produced as ghost-writer for Evangeline Adams ("Astrology, Your Place in the Sun" and "Astrology, Your Place Among the Stars"), presented in a single volume in the order Crowley's surviving manuscripts (unfortunately not the final versions) intended. His signature writing style (and infamous attitude) is unmistakeable, and his astrology seems solid (somewhat to my surprise since his credited output always seemed a bit light on it).

ETA: I also get a lot of use out of "Astrology: The Divine Science," a massive tome by Marcia Moore and Mark Douglas (who still lives here in New Hampshire), that I think is no longer in print.

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
Must have references and textbooks.

Lilly's books also cover predictions for weather, appearance as in person, when asking questions regarding to health meaning of each planet and relation in houses etc, representations of each of planet in countries, years, weeks, herbs, plants, tree, beasts, birds, fishes, places, metals, minerals, stones....

The Horary Textbook, yes it is THE TEXTBOOK for people want to learn western Horary. Should be read together with Lilly's classics.

Key Words of Astrology, is a compact, pleasure to read, a very well written book that covers Keywords, easy to remember in table form, for learners to build solid foundation for astrology. Is a Manual of of how to for Western Astrology.

"The Horary Textbook", by John Frawley

"Christian Astrology", by William Lilly (Book One, Two and Three)

"Key Words for Astrology", Hajo Banzhaf & Anna Haebler

wilsontc

Staff member
Fixed Stars book by Diana Rosenberg

All,

Diana Rosenberg, who recently died, put out a "definitive" two volume set of fixed stars and other cosmic objects. This reference might be useful for those who are interested in non-planetary objects:
http://ye-stars.com/WP/

Fixedly,

Tim

Zaphod

Re: Fixed Stars book by Diana Rosenberg

All,

Diana Rosenberg, who recently died, put out a "definitive" two volume set of fixed stars and other cosmic objects. This reference might be useful for those who are interested in non-planetary objects:
http://ye-stars.com/WP/

Fixedly,

Tim

Thanks for the tip. Does she update or replace Robson and Brady, or just augment them? I'd be interested if she extrapolates from a traditional perspective. Will go have a look.

JUPITERASC

I recommend:

"The Astrological Body Types Face Form and Expression" - Revised and Expanded Edition by Judith A Hill
:smile:

The following is a 99 word bio extract sourced from
http://www.judithhillastrology.com/bio

QUOTE:

"Judith Hill is a life time, second generational astrologer/award winning author and has performed over 6000 in depth personal readings and is proficient in Classical Western Astrology including: Vocation, Location, Medical, Natal, Transit-Progressed, Spiritual, Comparative Analysis, Electional (selecting dates for important life events); Gem Selection; Fertility Dating and Horary Astrology. Her consulting experience is vast, having read for men and women of most nations, ages and professions. She successfully matched five charts to five biographies in 1989 NCGR sponsored skeptics’ challenge and in 1999 was awarded the Paul R. Grell 'Best Book Award' from American Federation of Astrologers"

wilsontc

Staff member
Comprehensive, to Zaphod

Zaphod,

You asked:
Thanks for the tip. Does she update or replace Robson and Brady, or just augment them?

My impression that it was her life goal to create a comprehensive listing, a "one stop shopping" book for fixed stars and other cosmic objects. The book has gotten some good reviews and is one of the few comprehensive works I've heard about on the subject.

Comprehensively,

Tim

paneagle7

Must have references and textbooks.

I recommend SCHULMAN'S 2 books on Karma, and Reincarnation and Nodes
and many of Rudhyar's book (as the Sabian symbols) - also "Soul of Stars" On Kindle Amazon reader (About Solar and Sol Astrology)

poyi

Premium Member
I recommend SCHULMAN'S 2 books on Karma, and Reincarnation and Nodes
and many of Rudhyar's book (as the Sabian symbols) - also "Soul of Stars" On Kindle Amazon reader (About Solar and Sol Astrology)

lol I have a few of Schulman's books already

Claire19

Anything by Liz Greene
Howard Saportas who has sadly passed away left a wonderful legacy of magnificant books on his own & with Liz.
Start with them & you will be amazed.
I agree.

Also Martin Schulman's book on Reincarnation and the Nodes.
You dont need text books these days of course but there are a few good books that can be referred to always.
Robert Hands' books Planets in Composite and Planets in Transit. Frances Sakoian and Louis Ackerman Predictive Astrology.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Re: Comprehensive, to Zaphod

Zaphod,

You asked:

My impression that it was her life goal to create a comprehensive listing, a "one stop shopping" book for fixed stars and other cosmic objects. The book has gotten some good reviews and is one of the few comprehensive works I've heard about on the subject.

Comprehensively,

Tim

The only problem is that you actually have purchase those volumes. Good as they are Anne Wright's website is just as good and is free:

http://www.constellationsofwords.com/

JUPITERASC

Silversong

What do you all think of Linda Goodman's astrology books? I looked through her sun signs book a few times and had a bit of a hard time relating to it because it was published so long ago. At the same time, though, there were some reasonably good points- especially since I am a novice and looking for good 101 books. It's just that, I don't know how seriously I could take her books and wonder if anyone has looked through more of them (or looked in a more in-depth way) and has an opinion on them.

dr. farr

They are rather generalized and light-weight, which is fine for a superficial examination from a Modernist perspective (albeit a rather surface level Modernist perspective) However, far better introductions exist for those wishing to make a more serious study of this subject. The Goodman books, however, do contain some valuable insights, and there are certainly worse books around than hers!!

suhasg

Hi,

Here is a list of books I added to my personal library during last one and half year.

1. [FONT=&quot]Predicting Events with Astrology -------------------------------- Celeste Teal[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]The Principles of astrology -------------------------------------- C E O Carter[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Some more Prinicples of Horoscope Delineation----------------- C E O Carter[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]Applied Cosmobiology ------------------------------------------ Ebertin[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&quot]Aspects in Astrology -------------------------------------------- Sue Tompkins[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=&quot]Delineation of Progression ---------------------------------------Sophia Mason[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=&quot]The Progressed Horoscope Simplified-------------------------- - Milburn[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=&quot]Solar Arc --------------------------------------------------------Noey Tyl[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=&quot]Now I cast it ---------------------------------------------------- Maxine[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=&quot]COSI------------------------------------------------------------ Ebertin[/FONT]
  11. [FONT=&quot]Encyclopediaof psychological Astrology --------------------------C E O Carter[/FONT]
  12. [FONT=&quot]Forecasting Life Events An Art of Predictive Astrology ---------- Carol Rushman[/FONT]
  13. [FONT=&quot]Dynamic Astrology ---------------------------------------------- John Townley,[/FONT]
  14. [FONT=&quot]Astrology of Death -----------------------------------------------Richard Houck[/FONT]
  15. [FONT=&quot]Digital Astrology -------------------------------------------------Richard Houck[/FONT]
  16. [FONT=&quot]Working with Astrology ------------------------------------------Hasting / Harvey[/FONT]
  17. [FONT=&quot]The New Solar Return Book of Prediction------------------------Raymond Merriman[/FONT]
  18. [FONT=&quot]Secondary Progressions: Time to Remember ---------------------Nancy Anne Hastings [/FONT]
  19. [FONT=&quot]Cosmobiology for the 21st Century ----------------------------- Eleonora Kimmel[/FONT]
  20. [FONT=&quot]Planet In Transit -------------------------------------------------Robert Hand[/FONT]
  21. [FONT=&quot]DirectionsCo-Determinate ---------------------------------------Ebertin[/FONT]
  22. [FONT=&quot]Astrological Healing --------------------------------------------- Ebertin[/FONT]
  23. [FONT=&quot]Astrological Aspects -------------------------------------------- C E O Carter[/FONT]
  24. [FONT=&quot]The Round Art: Astrology of Time and Space ------------------- A. T. Mann[/FONT]
  25. [FONT=&quot]Simplified Horary Astrology -------------------------------------Ivy M Goldstein-Jacobson[/FONT]
  26. [FONT=&quot]Text book of Horary Astrology---------------------------------- John Frwaley[/FONT]
  27. [FONT=&quot]In the Beginning Astrology -------------------------------------- Ivy M Goldstein-Jacobson[/FONT]
  28. [FONT=&quot]Harmonic charts ------------------------------------------------ David Hamblin[/FONT]
  29. [FONT=&quot]Transits and Solar returns --------------------------------------- Ciro Discepolo[/FONT]
  30. [FONT=&quot]A New Vision Of Astrology------------------------------------- A T Mann[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hope this helps.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Silversong

It might have been featured in an earlier list, but I wanted to make a rec for Robert Hand's "Planets in Youth".

Even though it's technically a 'cookbook' (I prefer to call them "all-purpose instruction manuals" because its funnier) he still actually tries to speak to the way people might experience and express different placements and aspects, rather than just saying "this is you- and here's what I have to say about that".

As someone with a Mercury-Mars square who is often preemptively accused of being verbally aggressive or spoiling for a fight (so untrue) with these types of books, I look for that kind of thing all of the time and I really appreciate it's absence in his book. Not to mention actually being able to relate with the descriptions he puts down! It somehow figures that a book written with developmental patterns in children and how they may manifest as one grows up would be the one I like the best.

So yea, it's an all-purpose instruction manual, but it's well done for it's kind and I really liked the way he describes what children with different elemental/modal emphases would be like in the beginning of the book.

IleneK

Premium Member
It might have been featured in an earlier list, but I wanted to make a rec for Robert Hand's "Planets in Youth".

Even though it's technically a 'cookbook' (I prefer to call them "all-purpose instruction manuals" because its funnier) he still actually tries to speak to the way people might experience and express different placements and aspects, rather than just saying "this is you- and here's what I have to say about that".

As someone with a Mercury-Mars square who is often preemptively accused of being verbally aggressive or spoiling for a fight (so untrue) with these types of books, I look for that kind of thing all of the time and I really appreciate it's absence in his book. Not to mention actually being able to relate with the descriptions he puts down! It somehow figures that a book written with developmental patterns in children and how they may manifest as one grows up would be the one I like the best.

So yea, it's an all-purpose instruction manual, but it's well done for it's kind and I really liked the way he describes what children with different elemental/modal emphases would be like in the beginning of the book.

I think Hand's book is very useful for beginners who are trying to get an organized general feel for the interpretation of aspects. I read it early on and liked it a lot.

Good choice!

Best,
Ilene

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
The Beginning of Wisdom, by Avraham Ibn-Ezra, translated and annotated by Meira B. Epstein, edited with additional annotations by Robert Hand

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Wis...d=1391231347&sr=1-1&keywords=Meira+B.+Epstein

The Book of Nativities and Revolutions by Rabbi Avraham Ibn Ezra edited from Hebrew Manuscripts translated and annotated by Meira B. Epstein edited with additional annotations from the Latin translation by Robert Hand

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Nativiti...d=1391231347&sr=1-2&keywords=Meira+B.+Epstein

Review of this book by Skyscript:
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/rev_epstein.html
Houlding had written some very positive comments about this book.

Two of my very best collections so far!

I am also trying to get a copy of The Book of Reasons
Review: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/rev_ezra.html

Amazon doesn't have any copy of The Book of Reasons, but you can try this site: http://bear-star.com/books.htm