when (and where) is a website born?

mwright

many of us are trying to launch websites, and pick the best time to do it.

but, what time is a website actually born?

is it when we first purchase the domain name, tell someone about the site, or when the first visitor comes?

do you use local time where you live, or gmt which might 11 hours away?

and, if a website is "born" in cyberspace, where is it's birthplace?

is it born in the computer where you first conceive of it? or, if it is designed completely online, is it born in the server of the host?

any thoughts?

AquarianEssence

You are the creator and author so your location. When you hit the upload button for your home page you are published, if you did it correctly. Note that time then look at it to see if it actually published. That will be the birth time, if so. When I redesigned mine and added my astrology articles I announced it at a couple of places with the Aries points on the angles. Those are good public degrees. I had one hard aspect to deal with which turned out to be my writting in xhtml and some people's browsers couldn't handle modern language. So I had to redo all the pages in old html. Now everyone can view it properly.

Draco

This is an interesting question to me, as I am trying to get a blog together right now.

When I opened the blog, it was just a blank space waiting to be filled, but this time is significant because it was the moment at which this space was created.

However, another, perhaps more significant moment, was when I submitted my first post (albeit experimentally), and even though I have made dozens of adjustments to this initial post, the time at which it was submitted brought the blog to life, it was my first action as a blogger. Therefore, I would see the moment at which I opened a blog space, as the birth of 'the blog', whereas the moment of my first post, is the birth of 'the blogging'. I think that this holds true despite the very many changes that I have made to this initial post, as it's publication was my first action as a blogger.

So I feel that when a webspace is first opened, and waiting to be filled, then this is the potential of the site, but the publication of the first content is the birth of all that which is to take place within it.

I suppose you might say that the opening of the webspace is the conception, but with the submission of the first content, the website is born.

mwright

you make valid points.

if a website is your own creation, it makes sense that it has the personality of the time and place that you upload it.

each modification, including a first blog post, is an event with its own astrological personality.

so, when uploading websites, modifications, and major posts, it really is a matter of electing the right time to send the right message.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
each modification, including a first blog post, is an event with its own astrological personality.

I do not believe so, only the first in everything. Creating a main page for a website is something I would indeed elect for, but creating subsequent pages are something I would not elect for. Both creating a blog to ensure the longetivy of the project and posting the first message to ensure popularity are things I would elect for. Later postings of said blog, however, I wouldn't bother with as the roots are already taken up in the creation and initial post.

There is such a thing as "electional overkill".

tikana

mwright

from common sense
plus
i did look at the date when i registered 4 different sites and noticed the differences.

Tik

Navigator

I have always thought a website is born when you PUBLISH it. (When it is uploaded -- In other words, The time it is 'born' on the Internet.)

It's the same with a book -- when its published.

Last edited: