Sun 324 deg 57', Mercury 325 deg 13', same sign, is this cazimi?

Dew9

Both sun and Mercury are in Pisces and I was guessing since it is 16 mins difference, it is cazimi, right?

Why then do some astrologers say that the mind of the person is weak? :annoyed:

Is such a cazimi a bad thing?:surprised:

N Yes, both are in Pisces 2nd house.

dr. farr

I am absolutely certain that it is the highest possible dignity; there are several threads about the Cazimi state (enter the word in the search section to find posts about it) Cazimi was considered as a major dignity by all astrological authorities at least from the time of Antiochus (4th century AD) up through the Renaissance.
Also by alchemists, who-perhaps more than the astrologers-truly understood its profound significance...

Pallas-trine-Mars

I am absolutely certain that it is the highest possible dignity; there are several threads about the Cazimi state (enter the word in the search section to find posts about it) Cazimi was considered as a major dignity by all astrological authorities at least from the time of Antiochus (4th century AD) up through the Renaissance.
Also by alchemists, who-perhaps more than the astrologers-truly understood its profound significance...
I've read such things as well, but in practice it seems to me problems are just as likely to occur, if not more so, when a planet is cazimi (talking transiting here). For instance Mercury coming into cazimi with the Sun still can create horrible communications issues.

Do you have some examples? Or in which cases would cazimi enhance the state of something?

dr. farr

The cazimi state indicates pure POWER: in traditionalist astrology, when a planet is combust it means that it has NO power-its as if it were not there (as far as the chart influences are concerned) But in cazimi its power is restored and ,indeed, amplified: this does NOT mean that the planet's power will necessarily be benefic-it simply means that its power to influence is amplified: so, for example, a cazimi Mercury could cause significant malefic effects (depending upon circumstances). The ancients taught that when a planet is cazimi it is as if there were 2 such planets operative in the chart: so a cazimi Mercury would be like a double Mercury influence (benefic or malefic as the case might be) operative in the chart; a cazimi Venus as if there were a double Venus influence in the chart, and so forth.

One example of a cazimi situation was the Haiti earthquake: Venus was cazimi at the moment of the quake: Venus can exemplify human empathy, and the outpouring of empathy and soothing assistance (another Venus quality) from other nations (especially the US) was both immediate and very extensive: the cazimi Venus indicated that such extensive response was to be anticipated (I noticed this indication when I posted my delineation of the Haiti earthquake chart on skyscript a few hours after the disaster)

There was a court case horary I did here on AW where the positive outcome I predicted (which did in fact occur) was based almost exclusively on a cazimi state.

In alchemical/spagyric work, special treatments of certain metals and minerals are to be undertaken ONLY when the affinitive planet is cazimi, in order for the process to result in a successful outcome.

Perhaps in future I shall start a thread here on AW in which I can give further particulars about cazimi, as well as many examples of my experiences with it in chart delineations...

Last edited:

Pallas-trine-Mars

Interesting, most old literature on things like cazimi I've found is very vague, so.. But I'm still not sure. If a planet is acting like a malefic and carried away with power as you're saying cazimi can do, then how is that dignity? From where I stand planets are usually said to become problematic when they're not dignified. Therefore either cazimi is not necessarily a dignity or some planets can be cazimi and others can't.

Also combust/cazimi doesn't seem to affect natal/psychological astrology (my main focus) I've seen many charts where, for instance, Venus is combusted and the sexual aspects of her shine seemingly just as bright as the Sun (if not brighter).

Last edited:

dr. farr

Dignity (with traditionalists) has to do with capacity for influence, not necessarily the quality (resonant/dissonant, or as they refer to it, "benefic"/"malefic") of that influence. However, I myself lean toward dignity = a more resonant quality and debility = a more dissonant quality.
Also, while I have mentioned the traditionalist view of combustion (in my posting above),-which is that this state "destroys all power of the combust planet"- I myself have a very different outlook on that situation (combustion) I look at it more that the Sun has absorbed the combusted planet's qualities, and blended them with its own potentialities, not "destroyed" them: your reference to your delineative experiences involving combust Venus fits perfectly with my own outlook regarding the combust state and its ramifications.
Another example of how combust can be quite beneficial (and not necessarily destructive of a planet's influence) can be found in my analysis of the result (correct prediction) of a horary I did in which Mars was combust, and both Mars and the Sun were significators and which (in my analysis) indicated a successful outcome for the querent in the Court hearing (this example is in the Beginners Horary section, the thread is entitled "Can you help me with this question please?")

Last edited:

dr. farr

Refreshing this thread regarding the current discussion of cazimi in some threads, and my comments about cazimi, above.

dd78

The cazimi state indicates pure POWER: in traditionalist astrology, when a planet is combust it means that it has NO power-its as if it were not there (as far as the chart influences are concerned) But in cazimi its power is restored and ,indeed, amplified: this does NOT mean that the planet's power will necessarily be benefic-it simply means that its power to influence is amplified: so, for example, a cazimi Mercury could cause significant malefic effects (depending upon circumstances). The ancients taught that when a planet is cazimi it is as if there were 2 such planets operative in the chart: so a cazimi Mercury would be like a double Mercury influence (benefic or malefic as the case might be) operative in the chart; a cazimi Venus as if there were a double Venus influence in the chart, and so forth.

Thank you for this valuable information!! My natal Venus is cazimi in 15*07 Scorpio.
In Nov.1976 there was an eclipse featuring Mercury cazimi on 14*24 Scorpio :surprised:
AND both charts are almost identical!

Perhaps in future I shall start a thread here on AW in which I can give further particulars about cazimi, as well as many examples of my experiences with it in chart delineations...

please, feel free to start a thread and/or join the discussion here :wink::

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90003&goto=newpost

thank you!