Free online midpoint calculator and intepretations

HoldOrFold

Ever been interested in midpoints but got tired of working them out one by one?

I just finished coding an online midpoint calculator which calculates and shows you all your midpoints from common ones like Sun/Moon to obscure ones like Chiron/Midheaven.

In addition to showing the midpoint positions, it shows which midpoints are activated by hard-aspecting planets (e.g. Sun/Moon midpoint conjunct Jupiter) and also gives an interpretation of your activated midpoints (courtesy of John Sandbach).

You can access the midpoint calculator at: http://teachmeastrology.com/midpoint-calculator

Enjoy!

Last edited:

HoldOrFold

Yeah, that site is part of the reason why I made this calculator! (i.e. you don't need a phd is astrophysics to get it working :lol:)

Kijuki

Thank you very much for your free online midpoint calculator and interpretations, it's very useful. Do you program much? Do you have anything for transiting and natal parallels and eclipses? I calculate them from Raphaels ephemeris and it takes ages honing times with astro.com. Thanks again.

HoldOrFold

I'm a self-taught amateur programmer and like to make things now and again.

This midpoint calculator is actually built on modified php scripts from astrowin.org. You can download scripts here: http://www.astrowin.org/php_scripts/index.html

I used the scripts in php_astrology_scripts.zip, modified the natal php script to calculate midpoints, aspects and find interpretations. All the base stuff is in there for calculating the chart, so I just coded the rest on top and modified. Also I changed the form input which would have you input longitutude/lattitude degrees and timezone manually to instead use Google Geomapping API to automatically generate.

The scripts use Swiss Ephimeres for programmers from astro.com so they could most likely be reversed engineered to calculate lattitude for parallels. As for eclipses, I don't think that data is directly in the ephimeres but do you know how to calculate when an eclipse happens based on planetary positions?

HoldOrFold

Hrm, that's strange, any bug reports are appreciated.

Sounds odd but try inputting "fellow" as your name instead of your name. That's a little code I built in to load the report in a different way. Let me know if that works.

Arena

Thank you for this tool, very handy :)

It doesn't work in internet explorer it seems, but I could get it to work in Firefox.

It doesn't show data for birth places above 65°, why is that?

Have you thought of expanding this good tool into synastry and composite midpoints to one's natal? To see when planets of a partner or family member play a role in activating your midpoints?

HoldOrFold

Thanks for the bug reports, I'll look into them asap.

I do plan on expanding it to work with synastry charts which would most likely involve having a profile where you can store several people's data. That's definitely on the agenda.

My next project is going to be an astrocartography system. Basically, I'm planning on moving country soon due to getting money from the sale of a house and so have been interested in relocational astrology. Unfortunately, there's not many comprehensive tools out there to work out the best place to move to based on your chart... they don't take into consideration where in the world your angles conjoin certain midpoints, or vertex, part of fortune... etc.

So I'd like to make a system which comprehensively works out the best places for someone to live... but it's going to be quite a task, still haven't worked out how I'm going to do it. Either way, it will involve a type of synastry between the natal and relocated chart, so I'll knock out midpoint synastry while I'm doing that.

Kijuki

Thanks for the details, unfortunately, it means almost nothing to me. I get my details longhand from the ephemeris and shunt the chart about on the PC to time the events. Eclipses are so rare, but there are perhaps two dozen in a year within 1 degree of declination and these are in Raphaels. So a lot of my work is done, the aspectarian in the ephemeris gives progressed parallels and astro.com has Ebertins graphic progressed declinations. So I am more than good for sources. Thanks again.

HoldOrFold

Cool, I might be able to bash something together since I'd actually find that pretty useful for myself as well.

At the moment I can generate astrological data for a specific point in time so doing transiting/ natal parallels and eclipses for a user specified time (e.g. birth date for natal / now or a date for transits) shouldn't be too hard.

Having the system figure out when the next parallel or eclipse happens would be more tricky since the date is not user specified... but would still be possible.

Kijuki

Thanks for the reply let me try and explain my needs.
Through observance,practice and rite I have noticed that aspects on the plane of the ecliptic generally empower us. However, to my mind, this absorbed energy [I'll call it light to make it easier for me] does little to assist us and tends to generate complacency and what I sarcastically call 'Stella Obesity'.
In a rite an outcome is desired and the funny thing is that the outcome can occur before, with or after the rite. Over the 40 year of work with these mechanisms I began to notice that the outcome generally coincided with the parallel of the planets in the rite. Ebertin found that transits in declination coincided remarkably with events, Hutcheon found that events rarely happened without a concurrent declination transit and says "transits in longitude without major directions or transits in declination were spotty at least". The Sports astrologer http://www.sportsastrologer.com/ uses declinations to successfully give stats of winning players and teams for baseball and american football as well as mundane politics and music people. My site goes into parallels etc. a bit more. http://373.me.uk/. i.e.
Mood swings: The parallel aspects of transiting planets can deplete your energy.
Detox: Eclipses are not just for heralding cataclysmic change.
Elixir and Talismans: Turning water into astrological energy drinks.
[which brings into play my second joy, homeopathy, collecting astrology in water with surprising success].
Phew ok. So finally, my needs, which I can accomplish longhand; is for perhaps an app or such like. Personal data is entered [it has to be accurate] and the app would give TRANSITING PARALLELS [mood swings] which will allow us to join in and reduce that stella obesity i.e. 'at 2:27 pm today you will be inclined to have a good cry so put your feet up and have a suitable beverage and enjoy yourself'. PROGRESSED PARALLELS [EVENTS] times when events happen 'I knew that would happen'. SYNASTRY sharing events with partners and others. Finding times when your light output is beneficial for- getting a job, buying something oh well just about anything really. I have just found that water with a parallel in a vaporizer, you know the ones with the t lights in them, work great with the appropriate essential oils added. With a spray, things can be consecrated. With an appropriate water, a room and those in it can be peeped for a party or some other event. So you see, personal events in ones life can be enlarged or reduced at will. An app for all seasons and reasons. Are you game? He He He.

Last edited:

HoldOrFold

Awesome, that's doable I just need to figure out how to do transits which I was going to do for the midpoint tool anyway and also get the declination data from the database.

For the midpoint tool, I got permission to use interpretations from John Sandbach's site. Anything I make going forward, I'd do something similar since I don't write interpretations so for now it would just be the transiting/synastry aspects.