Your Mars Square Saturn, Sex, and Creativity

Castle

Mars Square Saturn. This aspect makes me suffer. Too often I feel it in my blood and in my bones. I've worked through other squares in my chart, but the negative impact of this one persists. I have dealt with the temper issues easily, but my problems with the aspect are more troublesome than just a bad temper, which (it seems that it would be obvious to all MarsSqSat folks, but whether it has occurred to you may depend on your chart) can be reigned in through daily physical exercise.

How have others experienced this aspect? Your war stories may help me see how to resolve it using my chart.

For my part, if for a given period I'm having great sex and making great art, I'm often in need of something to reign in my drug use and just generally straighten me out for the future. Then eventually Saturn comes into play, which I can understand, and am in fact grateful for. The problem is, after that straightening-out period, my artistic endeavors seem frustrated and my love life cooled. Mars is kicking, but he feels tied down, and when he is let loose, he behaves poorly, and I can't meet my standards of sex or artistic production. Then I am ungrateful and indeed deeply unhappy. I become a perfectionist. This imbalance makes me see my substantial successes in both areas as worthless and unstable, nothing to build on. I feel hot-blooded and caged-in at the same time. Then I have no clue how or why I slide back into sex, drugs and rock-and-roll mode, and when I do, even though I'm productive, I'm never sure if it's where I want to be, always worried that I'll burn myself out, that other artists lose their talent because of their appetite for destruction. But of course I love destruction. . . How does one balance Mars and Saturn, to get them operating together? What is it like to have soft aspects between Mars and Saturn? What is it like for those of you who are practicing artists and/or avid lovers with this aspect?

I'd rather not post my whole chart so hopefully we can talk about this on a general level. . . but if it's vital to a good suggestion, I'll post it. . .
Anyway, this is what seems relevant to me personally: I have Mars in 12th house Pisces square Saturn in 8th house Sagittarius; Mars is conjunct Jupiter in Pisces, and trine both Venus and Pluto in Scorp; Saturn is conjunct Uranus and Mercury both in Sag, Mercury also squares Mars and Jupiter, but those aspects for whatever reason have been comparatively easy to deal with. . . But I'm more interested in your experiences. . .

Lin

Saturn square Mars alone will not be the cause of your problems. Saturn square Mars is symbolic of the higher, evolved, self controlled nature vs. one's animal instinct.
That is the core issue of this aspect. I have this aspect and Uranus thrown in there also squaring Mars...but not in the same houses as you have. I have sublimated my Martian energies and re-routed them for more useful and less destructive purposes.

But this takes time and since you don't show your chart, there's no way to know how to give you specifics....hearing the 'war stories' of others can't really help you with your individual issues and how you may find a way to utilize your Mars without it "using" you.
That is, after all, the purpose of astrology... to know ourselves better and to better understand ourselves so that we can make good choices, control our negative urges, find useful outlets for our energy and also to make the most of positive transits.

By the way, if Mars is both conj. Jupiter and square Saturn, then Jupiter is square Saturn too, and THAT is the most important part of this issue....Mars conj. Jupiter and the aspects they make together.
LIN

Castle

Hey Lin. . . thanks for responding. . . if you don't mind, would you explain how and why you "sublimated your Mars energies re-routed them for more useful and less destructive purposes"? It would interest me, but of course, if you don't want to. . .

"War stories" is a somewhat facetious way of putting it. . . It's fair to say I ignored the Jupiter square Saturn aspect for some unknown reason, perhaps because although I can guess at its implications using my natal chart, I don't FEEL it. . . maybe I'm not tuning-in closely enough. . . Obviously I would agree with your statement of the purpose of astrology. . .

Nevertheless, I'd like it if you went into greater detail regarding your personal experience.

I have Mars in 12th house Pisces square Saturn in 8th house Sagittarius; Mars is conjunct Jupiter in Pisces, and trine both Venus and Pluto in Scorp; Saturn is conjunct Uranus and Mercury both in Sag, Mercury also squares Mars and Jupiter, but those aspects for whatever reason have been comparatively easy to deal with. . . But I'm more interested in your experiences. . .

There are lots of aspects/things you are describing that are all mixed up in your post here. Mars conj jupiter is a confidence aspect at asserting (mars) and expanding) both them square saturn alone for a minute is mars squ Saturn = frustration and reigning in of physical, sexual energy in a controlled way.

Mercury conj Uranus can be arguementative but also gives you 'flashes of inspiration, intuitive, creative artistic things. Mercury if its conj saturn would be great for studying, higher education and worst case withdrawal of communications. Mercury square mars also can be quick to verbalise and arguementative and mercury square Jupiter either over talks or doesn't talk enough on occasions..

You don't say if pluto/venus are conj ---this is where there is an 'easy flow of energies' from 12th mars/jupiter to 4th, but pluto in 4th can point to some kind of abuse espec if conj IC

I have dealt with the temper issues easily, but my problems with the aspect are more troublesome than just a bad temper,

The fact that you have a hard time controlling these urges is solely down to Uranus square mars (bad temper) & conj Saturn in 9th. These two really don't get along Uranus just wants freedom independ and excitement, saturn wants hard work and structure. Mars square Uranus is the typical bad temper aspect, cos mars just wants action any kind of action and uranus makes those actions disruptive, exciting but not sustainable.

Having mars in your 12th tells us a lot about your childhood, ie: your parent/s were not supportive enough of your ego development and prob stamped down hard on any tantrums. So when you realised it didn't get you the results or what you wanted, you learnt not to act/behave in a way that would result in punishment or simply being sent to your room.

Mars in pisces suggests high but erratic emotional energies. Adequate mental energies. Adequate to low physical energies, low practical energies. Type of energy can be unifying, erratic and intuitive. Energy often channelled into-- serving others, charitable, receptive, imaginative. Can lacks consistency, drive, goals.

There are pluses to this Mars, but overall, it's a difficult placing. On a positive note, this position will help offset selfishness found elsewhere in the chart. It also makes you kind, forgiving, and a good listener. Usually it suggest shyness; people with this position are almost never aggressive and are frequently of the sort who apologise when someone else steps on their foot. But the potential problems are many. Sometimes there is a tendency to be too influenced by others. Other times there's a tendency to wander through life with no goals

Mars square uranus is action without enough planning or thought behind it and that's why Saturn is asking you to think, plan and research -- rather than act (mars) prematurely

Intensely restless, dynamic, and energetic, you are always on the go. When you want something, you want it NOW, and you act decisively, impulsively, sometimes hastily and prematurely. Impatient, high-strung, and often nervous and tense, you find it difficult to slow down, pace yourself, or relax. You are fiercely individualistic and independent, self-willed and intolerant of restraints and restrictions imposed by others. You have a reckless disregard for authority and can be extremely rebellious. Cooperating with others is not your strong point! You are often brutally frank and abrupt with people, and can be quite impersonal when you are pursuing a desired goal. You may have an explosive temper when your will is blocked. You have a superabundance of energy and need much personal freedom to do things in your own style and at your own pace.
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/marsuranusaspects.html

Saturn is your strength and friend at grounding these impulses and disruptive behaviour. Mars is the 'escapist tendency' prob with drugs

I become a perfectionist. This imbalance makes me see my substantial successes in both areas as worthless and unstable, nothing to build on. I feel hot-blooded and caged-in at the same time. Then I have no clue how or why I slide back into sex, drugs and rock-and-roll mode,
yes you do it's mars in pisces & Jupiter square Saturn

This statement is the typical 'frustation' aspect of saturn -- stop/go push ahead with mars then saturn says, 'have you done enough hard work yet?'

Jupiter wants expansion and saturn wants thoroughness and hard work -- this creates a see-saw personality. Jupiter wants to go out and party, sex, drugs and women then saturns says -- excuse me you have work next day you can't do both...

Last edited:

Lin

You asked: "Hey Lin. . . thanks for responding. . . if you don't mind, would you explain how and why you "sublimated your Mars energies re-routed them for more useful and less destructive purposes"? . .

Mars is the planet of agression. It rules our animal natures. We need to make sure as human beings that we can live human and humane lives under any conditions, which includes when we get angry and want to punch someone in the nose.
I have a great admiration for people who use words and not fists to get their point across. My heros are mostly writers and others who used their brains to achieve their goals.

I don't like war. I don't like rage. I don't like arguing. I prefer peace. HIstory shows that even tho there are advances in weapons and possibly medicine during wartime, in peace there is more prosperity. I believe this is true both globally and personally. When one is not fighting one can work on building a life.

Hope that answers you question.
LIN