Sun Square Mars

BurningRED

sometimes, the way I feel is so intense, its scares me sometimes, I feel the fire underneath my skin, its burning red, someone please save me from my doom, is there any hope in my chart? what aspects in my chart are causing me to be like I am, I feel like im a warrior.http://interactive.0800-horoscope.com/cgi-bin/graphic/daisy13?x=720name=j&firstname=&birthplace=San%20Antonio,%20TX&lang=en&dformat=0&date=8/25/1990&time=10:0&country=1&state=48&adjust=-5.00&long=98.29&lat=29.25 and if you need to make your own chart for me, I was born August, 25th 1990 at 10:55 AM time zone CENTRAL STANDARD

Last edited:

Michael

Sun square Mars is not as bad as it seems. Square or
quartile was considered by the ancients such as Marcus
Manilius and Dorotheus as a favorable aspect. The quartile
was only considered as a negative when a malefic was involved.
In your case, mars is a malefic, however it's a minor malefic.
So I don't think it's cause for alarm. If you had Sun square
Saturn, that would be a lot worse.

Last edited:

Sagmoon

ooooo talking about my squares, i have mars in SCORPIO making a wide square to the sun and tight square to venus, both in LEO...but that's not all, i have saturn, in scorpio square sun!!.. both fixed, both passionate, i do not even want to start talking about fires!!... oh i wish i would find a partner who would be able to understand my deep emotions and feel what i feel...

burningRED, i think mars in taurus is just as intense as scorpio, but the energy is more contained. however, in your case i'd say you are more exposed towards 'burning' feelings due to the ascendant that exposes you and the first house! then mars opposite pluto in scorpio, i'd say adds a spark or two, esp if there is a lot of friction which i imagine there is because of the squares. wow venus square pluto, i wonder what's that like....?

i think maybe you should try very hard, then try even harder, then try again,and then maybe you can find a balance for some time to make you feel relaxed the rest of the time when you sway into the 'warrior'. at least you know that it's not a bad thing. :D

Last edited:

unukalhai

The Sun-Mars square you have in your chart is not only very wide (~5 degrees of orb) but also out of sign. Sun and Mars are both in earth signs (Virgo Sun, Taurus Mars) which puts them in a trine by sign, although it is still important they are close to 90 degrees apart. 5 degrees is within orb for the square, however it's overall power is diminished by both the wide orb in combination with the signs not actually being square. Many of us actually totally ignore out of sign aspects, but I do believe they have some power, just quite limited.

However, what you are experiencing is a transit, namely of transiting Saturn squaring your natal Mars. Your natal mars is at 27Tau00'27 and Saturn is presently at 27Leo08'36, a close-orbed transiting square. You are certainly correct Mars is involved here, but the situation is temporary (only a transit) and somewhat different from Sun-Mars interaction.

Here's from Rob Hand regarding the Saturn-square-Mars transit:
Rob Hand said:
This can be a time of intense ego conflicts with others, and you are very likely to be the loser if you are not careful. Your ambitions in various areas may provoke others to try to stop you because they feel threatened. Or it may be that you come across people whose goals are intrinsically opposed to yours. This may happen in any area of your life; most commonly it will affect your work and social life, but it can also affect your personal and domestic life.

During your first run-ins with others, you will probably be very bitter and antagonistic, but you will also become cautious about venting your anger. The result is that you will constantly be in a state of suppressed rage. Then someone who has nothing to do with your mood may be the victim of a sudden unexpected burst of anger. Needless to say, this is not the way to win anyone over.

You must not get discouraged by the failures you experience at this time. This period will not last, and you can consider it a testing time for yourself and your ambitions. There is no need to assume that your present setbacks are permanent.

There are dangers associated with this transit. It can signify accidents and injuries, especially broken bones. You are not particularly lucky under this transit, so you should not take unnecessary risks. You can get hurt, although you should not go about expecting that. If you are older, have regular checkups for your blood pressure and other cardiovascular signs. Many astrologers associate this combination of planetary influences with hardening of the arteries, as well as arthritis and rheumatism. Good medical attention is always a good idea.

I don't think you have to worry about the heath implications, unless you are prone to such things or have existing conditions already. However, the psychological implications mentioned are major factors, and clearly indicate why you are feeling like a warrior right now. Saturn is a strong planet in your chart, he is not only in his own sign (dignified) but closely conjunct one of your angles, and rules the IC angle, which means he will be afforded strong expression in your personality. All in all, you could say you are Saturn sensitive, and take on a good chunk of Saturn in your personality, especially in your need for emotional security and a stable home (4th house things). No, Saturn isn't all bad, although he does get one heck of a bad rep from most astrologers. His main concepts are applied balance and acceptance of responsibility, and it is through his moderating and condensing properties that we are guided to attain a more valid Sun/Moon balance.

The basic concept of this transit is that Saturn frustrates and limits your ability to express your anger, ambition, and aggression. Saturn and Mars are actually very incompatible planets, actually one of the most difficult combinations of visible planets. Mars is sort of like the rowdy teenager, hot for doing things now and worring about consequences and dangers later. On the other hand, Saturn is the "stern father" and demands respect, wisdom, prudence, and good judgment. Obviously, there's going to be a test of wills here, as the stern father attempts to apply discipline to what he sees as a rampaging teen. Meanwhile, the "rampaging teen" sees the stern father as a overly cautious, boring, no-fun-having partypooper, out to put out his fire and limit his abilities to learn through doing. The fire you feel is your Martian energy being either blocked or bubbled up to the surface, depending on how you're handling the square and your personal growth paths. Either way, a healthy release is in order.

Neither side is right, nor wrong. What's right is a healthy balance between these two energies, and the square indicates the process of adjustment to form this balance. Squares are testing points, when energies "square off" on the "battlefield" (especially when Mars is involved!). Sometimes this process can be more difficult than others, all depending upon the personal choices we've made and where we're at in our state of consciousness. Squares are a good time to take a hard, honest look at yourself and try to understand where the conflict is coming from. If you can consciously identify the clashing pieces of your personality, you're 9/10ths of the way to the resolution, and in the next 30-degree phase, the trine, you'll reap rewards for your efforts. Even if it isn't obvious at first, later reflection may be quite useful!

Ask yourself: do I express anger, rage, and aggression in a healthy manner? Can I be raging mad, but not let loose control over myself? Can I use anger and rage to enact positive change both in myself and others? Do I repress my anger to the point of explosion? Have I devised safe release techniques that are both effective and don't alienate me from others? Am I afraid to blow off steam when I need to? Do I own and possess my anger or do I feel anger is unacceptable, leading to a serious blockage? Can I be angry at myself or someone else without resorting to personal or physical attacks? Do I recognize when I've taken anger beyond the point of self-control and hurt someone else? Can I find the guts to face it and rectify the situation? Can I spot myself heading down that path?

These are all questions I've had to fact at various points in my journey with Mars. I have a tight in-sign Mars-Sun square in my natal chart, and Mars conjunct the Moon's north node. Making it even more important is the 16th harmonic configuration I have of Mars, Saturn and Chiron, at very tight orbs. Mars-Saturn issues are truly a huge part of this incarnation for me, and I tell you honestly in my younger years it was MAJOR difficulties. To say the least, getting in touch with Mars in a healthy manner has been a long, drawn out battle for me. It still is. I still sometimes have to consciously put myself in check, although as I age and gain life experience, those are less and less, and I find myself better able to apply Martian energy in a positive way. I've developed release methods, and learned how to express anger and rage in a less threatening, more comical and honest manner. The lessons of Mars can be difficult, dangerous, and even deadly, but they don't have to be if you consciously participate rather than loosing your own self-control. We all have the choice to submit to an energy, or to harness an energy. Submitting to anger leads to violence; harnessing anger leads to productive change and immense power for betterment of whatever drags us down to anger.

Also, I am a bit confused by the chart you presented in the link, it doesn't match up with the data specified, and I've casted the chart with three different software packages and they all agree with eachother, but not that chart.

The chart as shown by, and agree upon, by my usual software packages (Kepler, Solar Fire and Astrolog) follow, as shown from Kepler 7:

burningred_natal.gif

I recommend astro.com if you wish to cast your chart on the web, the charts they produce are very accurate, using the latest professional-quality ephemerids, in fact the same dataset used by expensive commercially produced astrology programs. Astro.com actually generates that data, called the "Swiss Ephemeris" and is derived from the NASA planetary ephemeris.

You can get started on astro.com at this link:
http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?rs=3&btyp=w2gw&

Click to enter your data and it will spit you out a chart without cost.

Regardless, hang in there... The exact transit for you was on the 9th (Thursday), and it's a passing influence now. Try to concentrate on reflecting on just what happened, pick up all the pieces, and try to make amends with anyone you may have hurt or alienated. I'm well aware Mars-Saturn transits can be difficult and filled with hurt, both of one's own balance as well as relations with others, but it IS possible to pick up the pieces and learn a lot in the process. The worst thing we could do is refuse to learn a lesson or hang ourselves in guilt for what we might have done. Neither lead to anything productive, and are dangerous traps.

Timeline:
June 27: Saturn hits 5 degrees of orb from Mars square, effects may start to be felt around this time, but likely not intensify until the 2 degree point.
July 24: Saturn hits 2 degrees of orb from Mars square
Aug 1: Saturn hits 1 degree of orb from Mars square
Aug 9: Exact square
Aug 17: Saturn will have seperated a full degree from Mars, and the transit should essentially be over

Last edited:

freedomlover

Unulkalhai,

Great post, as usual!

A quick off-topic question.....

I really like the chart print-out you used. It's very informative and easy to read. I will be getting my own computer/astrology software in the coming months. Do you mind telling me what brand this is?

Thanks,

Freedomlover

(Sorry, BurningRed, I had to ask! I thought others might want to know, too, so I did it publicly instead of PM. Thanks for your understanding!)

Squapius

Banned
Good day Red!

I will say this to you:
Maybe you´re afraid because your agressivity is increased by the sextile that unites Mars and Jupiter in your chart, and at its same time the said planet is squaring your light tempered moon. Simultaneously there, since the Moon until Uranus, is a sextile. Then I see Uranus conjoined with Neptune. Neptune trined with Sun then. I can interprete this by following way: Your libra Moon is the planet that is letting you down. All the agressive intensity that provides you a Mars-Jupiter sextile, is overwelming your hedonist tranquil nature. You´re surprised by an energy (Triangle seem below) that you refuse to accept because you tend to balance and calculate your energies more than letting yourself carry by them. That conducts me until your conjuction Nep-Ura wich is at its same time having contact through a trine (Sun) and... ...the square that worries you. Your inquisitive nature seems to be powered by Mars and it´s favorably relationated with your conjunction Nep-Ura, by the trine. That indicates a posible desire of discovering new things in uncommon subjects. I see this connects with another sextile to another configuration:
Maybe to a Virgo person, is a bit uncomfortable having great sexual desires. I don´t know you at all, but I see a square between Pluto and Venus; both in fixed signs; water and fire. I can see that as intense sexual energy. Maybe that´s unpomforting or even scaring you too.
Your fear maybe it´s blocking your sexual desires, but you would be also feeling a big curiosity about that.
But you didn´t mention your sexuality, so, I´ll quit it (For not being impertinent to you).
If that was right, you possibly could be using that energy for blocking yourself, or developing your knowledgement and mind and doing things you love.

You must not have fear.
You must use that enormous energies for doing something you always wanted to do, or create new things.
You must be brave and use your earth triangle for your benefite and not your prejudge. Feel yourself, and don´t be afraid to lose the control. Virgos never do.

Blackempress

A timely post when I was searching on the subject.
Sun Square Mars is hard indeed, especially now that I'm facing it upfront through astrology. I don't understand the degrees by what makes a tight square or not but it's there on mine & honestly I Abhor Libra that dampens all the planets especially Mars. I tend to find myself being Passive though I want to be assertive. I understand the Sun Sq Saturn aspect to that as well & it all now makes more sense to the constant Frustration that I feel. I think Earth Squares are kinder than air/water conflicts.
:annoyed:

Neither side is right, nor wrong. What's right is a healthy balance between these two energies, and the square indicates the process of adjustment to form this balance. Squares are testing points, when energies "square off" on the "battlefield" (especially when Mars is involved!). Sometimes this process can be more difficult than others, all depending upon the personal choices we've made and where we're at in our state of consciousness. Squares are a good time to take a hard, honest look at yourself and try to understand where the conflict is coming from. If you can consciously identify the clashing pieces of your personality, you're 9/10ths of the way to the resolution, and in the next 30-degree phase, the trine, you'll reap rewards for your efforts. Even if it isn't obvious at first, later reflection may be quite useful!

Ask yourself: do I express anger, rage, and aggression in a healthy manner? Can I be raging mad, but not let loose control over myself? Can I use anger and rage to enact positive change both in myself and others? Do I repress my anger to the point of explosion? Have I devised safe release techniques that are both effective and don't alienate me from others? Am I afraid to blow off steam when I need to? Do I own and possess my anger or do I feel anger is unacceptable, leading to a serious blockage? Can I be angry at myself or someone else without resorting to personal or physical attacks? Do I recognize when I've taken anger beyond the point of self-control and hurt someone else? Can I find the guts to face it and rectify the situation? Can I spot myself heading down that path?

These are all questions I've had to fact at various points in my journey with Mars. I have a tight in-sign Mars-Sun square in my natal chart, and Mars conjunct the Moon's north node. Making it even more important is the 16th harmonic configuration I have of Mars, Saturn and Chiron, at very tight orbs. Mars-Saturn issues are truly a huge part of this incarnation for me, and I tell you honestly in my younger years it was MAJOR difficulties. To say the least, getting in touch with Mars in a healthy manner has been a long, drawn out battle for me. It still is. I still sometimes have to consciously put myself in check, although as I age and gain life experience, those are less and less, and I find myself better able to apply Martian energy in a positive way. I've developed release methods, and learned how to express anger and rage in a less threatening, more comical and honest manner. The lessons of Mars can be difficult, dangerous, and even deadly, but they don't have to be if you consciously participate rather than loosing your own self-control. We all have the choice to submit to an energy, or to harness an energy. Submitting to anger leads to violence; harnessing anger leads to productive change and immense power for betterment of whatever drags us down to anger.

Good points. Will try working on these though I think my negativity from Saturn makes me more moody & aloof, so this trip seems a long hard road to achieve!