Dispositor

What is a dispositer?

Here is the meaning from my book.

A planet disposing of another. The ruler of the sign in which the planet finds itself disposes of, or is the dispositor of that planet. For example, if Venus is in Aries, Aries is ruled by Mars, and Mars is the dispositor of Venus.

The disposing planet has influence over the planet being disposed of. A chart may have a 'final dispositor', in this case the planet concerned acts like a chart ruler. According to other authorities the ruler of the sign on the cusp of a house is the dispositor of a planet that is placed in that house.

How would you work out if you had a final dispositor. Is a dispositor just another name for ruling planet of the sign on the cusp. And what use is it to find a final dispositor if you have one. How would you use it in Astrology.

Since the last couple of months I have only started learning all these new terms in Astrology. I only used to do very basic Astrology at home. But when I am reading Astrology articles on the net and they use all these terms, I haven't a clue how to work them into Astrology.

Shining Ray

wilsontc

Staff member
dispositing, to Ray

Ray,

Here is an example of dipositing from Bob Guccione's chart:

In a chart, there is a connection between the sign and the planet (for instance both the sign Virgo and the planet Mercury have to do with daily work). This connection can be seen as an energy flow between planet and sign. This energy flow is called "dispositing" and here is how it works:

1) Write out the each Planet, the sign it is in, and the ruler of the sign:

Sun in Sagittarius (ruled by Jupiter)
Moon in Scorpio (ruled by Pluto)
Mercury in Capricorn (ruled by Saturn)
Venus in Scorpio (ruled by Pluto)
Mars in Leo (ruled by Sun)
Jupiter in Cancer (ruled by Moon)
Saturn in Capricorn (ruled by Saturn)
Uranus in Aries (ruled by Mars)
Neptune in Virgo (ruled by Mercury)
Pluto in Cancer (ruled by Moon)

2) Shorten this information to only include the natal planet and the planet which rules the sign the planet is in. This is dispositing:

Sun is disposited by Jupiter
Moon is disposited by Pluto
Mercury is disposited by Saturn
Venus is disposited by Pluto
Mars is disposited by Sun
Jupiter is disposited by Moon
Saturn is disposited by Saturn
Uranus is disposited by Mars
Neptune is disposited by Mercury
Pluto is disposited by Moon

3) Convert this into X --> Y format

Sun --> Jupiter
Moon --> Pluto
Mercury --> Saturn
Venus --> Pluto
Mars --> Sun
Jupiter --> Moon
Saturn --> Saturn
Uranus --> Mars
Neptune --> Mercury
Pluto --> Moon

4) Sort the list in step 3 by dispositor:

Sun --> Jupiter
Moon --> Pluto
Venus --> Pluto
Mercury --> Saturn
Saturn --> Saturn
Mars --> Sun
Jupiter --> Moon
Pluto --> Moon
Uranus --> Mars
Neptune --> Mercury

5) Put the list in order by number of dispositings per planet (most dispositings first, next most dispositings second, etc.):

Moon --> Pluto
Venus --> Pluto
Mercury --> Saturn
Saturn --> Saturn
Jupiter --> Moon
Pluto --> Moon
Sun --> Jupiter
Mars --> Sun
Uranus --> Mars
Neptune --> Mercury

6) Make a list of the dispositors, along with a count of how many dispositings they have in the chart:

Pluto - 2
Saturn - 2
Moon - 2
Jupiter - 1
Sun - 1
Mars - 1
Mercury - 1

This indicates that Bob's energy is strong in his Pluto (transformation, also sex), Saturn (duty, also career), and Moon (home, also emotions).

7) Use the list of dispositors (from step 6) and the dispositings (from step 5) to follow the "chain" of dispositors as far as we can using modern planets, without repeating any dispositings:

Pluto - Pluto --> Moon, Moon --> Pluto

Saturn - Saturn --> Saturn

Moon - Moon --> Pluto, Pluto --> Moon

Jupiter - Jupiter --> Moon, Moon --> Pluto, Pluto --> Moon

Sun - Sun --> Jupiter, Jupiter --> Moon, Moon --> Pluto, Pluto --> Moon

Mars - Mars --> Sun, Sun --> Jupiter, Jupiter --> Moon, Moon -->
Pluto, Pluto --> Moon

Mercury - Mercury --> Saturn, Saturn --> Saturn

So Bob's chart disposits down to a reception between Pluto (transformation, also sex) and Moon (home, also emotions); and to Saturn (duty, also career)

This indicates that Bob uses the energy of sex and emotions to reinforce each other, while also using his career energy.

Dispositing,

Tim

Arian Maverick

Tim,

Thank you for this very useful guide! :)

I have followed your step-by-step instructions and believe I have the most uninteresting dispositor chart ever...

Sun in Aries (ruled by Mars)
Moon in Aries (ruled by Mars)
Mercury in Aries (ruled by Mars)
Venus in Aries (ruled by Mars)
Mars in Gemini (ruled by Mercury)
Jupiter in Gemini (ruled by Mercury)
Saturn in Capricorn (ruled by Saturn)
Uranus in Capricorn (ruled by Saturn)
Neptune in Capricorn (ruled by Saturn)
Pluto in Scorpio (ruled by Pluto)

2) Shorten this information to only include the natal planet and the planet which rules the sign the planet is in. This is dispositing:

Sun is disposited by Mars
Moon is disposited by Mars
Mercury is disposited by Mars
Venus is disposited by Mars
Mars is disposited by Mercury
Jupiter is disposited by Mercury
Uranus is disposited by Saturn
Neptune is disposited by Saturn
Pluto is disposited by Pluto

Sun-->Mars
Moon-->Mars
Mercury-->Mars
Venus-->Mars
Mars-->Mercury
Jupiter-->Mercury
Saturn-->Saturn
Uranus-->Saturn
Neptune-->Saturn
Pluto-->Pluto

I believe all of the planets are already in order here…

Sun-->Mars
Moon-->Mars
Mercury-->Mars
Venus-->Mars
Mars-->Mercury
Jupiter-->Mercury
Saturn-->Saturn
Uranus-->Saturn
Neptune-->Saturn
Pluto-->Pluto

5) Put the list in order by number of dispositings per planet (most dispositings first, next most dispositings second, etc.):

Sun-->Mars
Moon-->Mars
Mercury-->Mars
Venus-->Mars
Saturn-->Saturn
Uranus-->Saturn
Neptune-->Saturn
Mars-->Mercury
Jupiter-->Mercury
Pluto-->Pluto

6) Make a list of the dispositors, along with a count of how many dispositings they have in the chart:

Mars - 4
Saturn - 3
Mercury - 2
Pluto - 1

7) Use the list of dispositors (from step 6) and the dispositings (from step 5) to follow the "chain" of dispositors as far as we can using modern planets, without repeating any dispositings:

Mars – Mars-->Mercury, Mercury-->Mars
Saturn – Saturn-->Saturn
Mercury – Mercury-->Mars, Mars-->Mercury
Pluto – Pluto-->Pluto

Arian Maverick

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed explanation Tim, the books I have don't explain it like you have. I will try using my planets. It may take me a few times to work it out because it is very new to me. But I'm sure I will learn how to do it.

Shining Ray

I just noticed Arian has already posted hers up. I better get on with mine. I will take a while longer as it takes longer for information to sink in. Why do Arians always have to be first at everything :D Just kidding.

Shining Ray

Arian Maverick

I just noticed Arian has already posted hers up. I better get on with mine. I will take a while longer as it takes longer for information to sink in. Why do Arians always have to be first at everything :D Just kidding.

This observation actually ties in quite nicely with the topic of dispositors; the trail of dispositers for six of my natal planets ends with the mutual reception of Aries Mercury and Gemini Mars:

Sun - Sun --> Mars <--> Mercury
Moon - Moon --> Mars <--> Mercury
Mercury - Mercury <--> Mars
Venus - Venus --> Mars <--> Mercury
Mars - Mars <--> Mercury
Jupiter - Jupiter --> Mercury <--> Mars

Therefore, my mental drive is often on hyper-speed!

EDIT: In an attempt to better understand the concept of dispositors, I have applied Tim's instructions to your natal chart using both modern and traditional rulership. If you grant me permission to do so, I would like to upload the file to the forums so others may learn with us ;)

Arian Maverick

Last edited:
Yes Arian it is fine, you can upload my chart. I don't know how you worked it out so quick, takes me ages to grasp mine. You certainly have a quick mind. Your Jupiter in Gemini must help you out to.

Shining Ray

Arian Maverick

Shining Ray,

It is unfair for you to compare yourself to me, especially since I had been previously introduced to the concept of dispositors through the new edition of Parkers' Astrology. I cannot recall if you or another user posted excerpts from this book, but there is a nice diagram about the zodiac trail on page 202...;)

Arian Maverick

Attachments

• Shining Ray - Dispositors.doc
    44.5 KB · Views: 103

Arian Maverick

I'm not really understanding this... can anyone help?

First, make a list of the zodiac sign each natal planet occupies:

Sun in Aries
Moon in Capricorn
Mercury in Aries
Venus in Pisces
Mars in Gemini
Jupiter in Aries
Saturn in Sagittarius
Uranus in Sagittarius
Neptune in Capricorn
Pluto in Scorpio

Next, determine which planet rules the sign occupied by each planet:

Sun in Aries is ruled by Mars
Moon in Capricorn is ruled by Saturn
Mercury in Aries is ruled by Mars
Venus in Pisces is ruled by Neptune (modern rulership)/Jupiter (traditional rulership)
Mars in Gemini is ruled by Mercury
Jupiter in Aries is ruled by Mars
Saturn in Sagittarius is ruled by Jupiter
Uranus in Sagittarius is ruled by Jupiter
Neptune in Capricorn is ruled by Saturn
Pluto in Scorpio is ruled by Pluto (modern rulership)/Mars (traditional rulership)

Now you can begin to eliminate the extra words by replacing in (zodiac sign) is ruled by for is disposited by:

Sun is disposited by Mars
Moon is disposited by Saturn
Mercury is disposited by Mars
Venus is disposited by Neptune (modern rulership)/Jupiter (traditional rulership)
Mars is disposited by Mercury
Jupiter is disposited by Mars
Saturn is disposited by Jupiter
Uranus is disposited by Jupiter
Pluto is disposited by Pluto (modern rulership)/Mars (traditional rulership)

You can further eliminate words by replacing is disposited by with an arrow:

Sun --> Mars
Moon --> Saturn
Mercury --> Mars
Venus --> Neptune (modern rulership)/Jupiter (traditional rulership)
Mars --> Mercury
Jupiter --> Mars
Saturn --> Jupiter
Uranus --> Jupiter
Neptune --> Saturn
Pluto --> Pluto (modern rulership)/Mars (traditional rulership)

Now, group like dispositors together:

(Mars dispositors, Saturn dispositors, Jupiter dispositors, etc.)

Sun --> Mars
Mercury --> Mars
Jupiter --> Mars
Pluto --> Mars (traditional rulership)
Moon --> Saturn
Neptune --> Saturn
Venus --> Jupiter (traditional rulership)
Saturn --> Jupiter
Uranus --> Jupiter
Venus --> Neptune (modern rulership)
Mars --> Mercury
Pluto --> Pluto (modern rulership)

Order this list so the planet which disposits the most is listed first:

(Mars and Jupiter disposit three planets and are listed near the top; Saturn disposits two planets and is listed next; Neptune, Mercury, and Pluto each disposit one planet and are listed last).

Sun --> Mars
Mercury --> Mars
Jupiter --> Mars
Pluto --> Mars (traditional rulership)
Venus --> Jupiter (traditional rulership)
Saturn --> Jupiter
Uranus --> Jupiter
Moon --> Saturn
Neptune --> Saturn
Venus --> Neptune (modern rulership)
Mars --> Mercury
Pluto --> Pluto (modern rulership)

Now make a list of the dispositors and count how many planets they disposit in the chart:

Mars - 4
Jupiter - 3
Saturn - 2
Neptune - 1
Mercury - 1
Pluto - 1

This is where things get a bit trickier...copy the list of dispositers above and use the dispositings from the previous step to follow the zodiac trail.

We'll begin with Mars, since it is first on the list:

Mars is disposited by Mercury; Mercury is disposited by Mars. Therefore, these two planets are in mutual reception, and you can no longer continue the trail.

Mars <--> Mercury

Jupiter is disposited by Mars; Mars is disposited by Mercury; Mercury is disposited by Mars. We arrived at this mutual reception yet again...

Jupiter --> Mars <--> Mercury

Saturn is disposited by Jupiter; Jupiter is disposited by Mars; Mars is disposited by Mercury; Mercury is disposited by Mars. Do you see a pattern emerging here? :)

Saturn --> Jupiter --> Mars <--> Mercury

Neptune is disposited by Saturn; Saturn is disposited by Jupiter; Jupiter is disposited by Mars; Mars is disposited by Mercury.

Neptune --> Saturn --> Jupiter --> Mars <--> Mercury

Mercury is disposited by Mars; Mars is disposited by Mercury.

Mercury <--> Mars

This is an easy one; Pluto is disposited by Pluto using modern rulership.

Pluto --> Pluto

Using traditional rulership, Pluto is disposited by Mars; Mars is disposited by Mercury.

Pluto --> Mars <--> Mercury

Finally, Mars is disposited by Mercury.

Mars <--> Mercury

I suppose I have my natal Jupiter in Gemini for a reason...I hope this helps! :D

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Rubella

Arian Maverick,

Thank you so much!
Hehe, mine was a very boring one, wasn't it? so I supposed this makes mars and mercury my dispositors.

Thanks again!

freedomlover

Hey y'all!

I did my dispositors. I'm not 100% sure I did it correctly, (althought I think I did). Howver, if I DID do it correctly, ALL of mine ended up with MERCURY!!!!
Every last one. That is spooky. If this is correct, what could that possibly mean -- every one is deposited by Mercury in the end?

Arian Maverick

I believe this is called the final dispositor of a natal chart...

Here is an excerpt from The Power of Dispositors: A Systematic Approach:

The Power of Dispositors: A Systematic Approach

Dispositors are the Circuitry of a Chart

Dispositors are a way we can look at astrology with a systematic approach. Astrology is no different than life with respect to the fact that everything is inter-related. People need support, and a feeling of connection. The planets operate the same as people. They need support and connection. The make-up of a chart involves how the planets are connected. This can be seen as the circuitry of a chart. I see it as how a chart is wired giving great depth into the life’s karma. Events play out systematically according to the patterns. You will be able to see the root cause of any behavior and situation based on the planets associations or connectors.

Dispositors Reveal the "Why"

A Dispositor is a one-way connector of the planets. It is simply the sign a planet is in; the planet of that sign is its dispositor. The planet that is the dispositor of a planet is the soul essence of that planet (DeFouw). It gives the reasons why a planet reacts in the way it does. Example: Saturn in Libra: Venus is the dispositor of Saturn because Venus rules Libra. Venus would be the soul, and reason why Saturn operates the way it works. Look to all the planets and their dispositors. What is happening is you’re finding the connections of the planets. They are all connected in this way.

Final Dispositors

You may find as you follow the planet's dispositors around the chart, one planet will end up as the final dispositor. It will be in it’s own sign of rulership, because when a planet is in the sign it rules it disposits itself. This is why planets in their sign of rulership are so strong and intense. Example: Saturn in Libra is dispositor by Venus, Venus in Sagittarius is deposited by Jupiter, Jupiter is in Gemini is disposited by Mercury, Mercury is in Virgo, since Mercury is ruled by Virgo it cannot go any further. In this case it is the final dispositor, meaning the energy of the chart is focused through Mercury. A final dispositor will be one of the most significant planets in a chart. There can be a planet that is a final dispositor of other planets in the chart, but one final dispositor of all the planets is rare.

Arian Maverick

freedomlover

"There can be a planet that is a final dispositor of other planets in the chart, but one final dispositor of all the planets is rare."

Well, I guess I'm rare, because, apparently I have only one final dispositor --
and it is Mercury. I wonder if there is a correlation between this and "all the squares to Mercury" that "23" kept referring to the other day. Also my Mercury and Jupiter are in mutual reception.

Any ideas as to what all this could mean?

wilsontc

Staff member
Dispositor, to Lover

Lover,

You can't have a final dispositor AND a mutual reception in a chart, since a final dispositor indicates the chart "disposits down" to ONE dispositor and a mutual reception indicates the chart "disposits down" to at least TWO dispositors. In your case you have a mutual reception (between Jupiter and Mercury) which your entire chart "disposits down" to.

Dispositing,

Tim

freedomlover

Re: Dispositor, to Lover - Re: To Tim

Tim,

Well, what I meant was that Jupiter and Mercury were in mutual reception BEFORE the dispositing - naturally. (Jupiter in Gemini and Mercury in Sag - in my chart, -maybe I termed things wrong.) However, the way I did the dispositing, it all boiled down to Mercury. However, again, I've been wrong before. I'd ask someone to double-check me, but it's so time-consuming, I hate to ask. So, until corrected, I think it disposits down to Mercury.(Sigh....)

Thanks for your thoughtful attention,

Freedomlover

Missa

Re: Dispositor, to Lover - Re: To Tim

freedomlover said:
Tim,

Well, what I meant was that Jupiter and Mercury were in mutual reception BEFORE the dispositing - naturally. (Jupiter in Gemini and Mercury in Sag - in my chart, -maybe I termed things wrong.) However, the way I did the dispositing, it all boiled down to Mercury. However, again, I've been wrong before. I'd ask someone to double-check me, but it's so time-consuming, I hate to ask. So, until corrected, I think it disposits down to Mercury.(Sigh....)

Thanks for your thoughtful attention,

Freedomlover

If I understood this correctly, shouldn't it go:
Jupiter --> Mercury --> Jupiter
Mercury --> Jupiter --> Mercury

So it goes back to Jupiter and Mercury, you have two final dispositors. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is mine right? I remember having to do mine a few years ago and struggled with it. Can someone check my last bit?

Sun in Aquarius (ruled by Uranus)
Moon in Libra (ruled by Venus)
Mercury in Aquarius (ruled by Uranus)
Venus in Sagittarius (ruled by Jupiter)
Mars in Gemini (ruled by Mercury)
Jupiter in Aries (ruled by Mars)
Saturn in Cancer (ruled by Moon)
Uranus in Scorpio (ruled by Pluto)
Neptune in Sagittarius (ruled by Jupiter)
Pluto in Libra (ruled by Venus)

Sun deposited by Uranus
etc

Sun --> Uranus
Moon --> Venus
Mercury --> Uranus
Venus --> Jupiter
Mars --> Mercury
Jupiter --> Mars
Saturn --> Moon
Uranus --> Pluto
Neptune --> Jupiter
Pluto --> Venus

Sun --> Uranus
Mercury -->Uranus
Moon --> Venus
Pluto --> Venus
Venus --> Jupiter
Neptune --> Jupiter
Mars --> Mercury
Jupiter --> Mars
Saturn --> Moon
Uranus --> Pluto

Sun --> Uranus
Mercury -->Uranus
Moon --> Venus
Pluto --> Venus
Venus --> Jupiter
Neptune --> Jupiter
Mars --> Mercury
Jupiter --> Mars
Saturn --> Moon
Uranus --> Pluto

Uranus - 2
Venus - 2
Jupiter -2
Mercury - 1
Mars - 1
Moon - 1
Pluto - 1

This indicates that 23's energy is strong in his Uranus (friends, collective), Venus (beauty, love), and Jupiter (philosophy, higher learning).

Uranus --> Pluto --> Venus --> Jupiter --> Mars --> Mercury --> Uranus

Venus --> Jupiter --> Mars --> Mercury --> Uranus --> Pluto --> Venus

Jupiter --> Mars --> Mercury --> Uranus --> Pluto --> Venus --> Jupiter

Mercury --> Uranus --> Pluto --> Venus --> Jupiter --> Mars ---> Mercury

Mars --> Mercury --> Uranus --> Pluto --> Venus --> Jupiter --> Mars --> Mercury

Moon --> Venus --> Jupiter --> Mars --> Mercury --> Uranus --> Pluto --> Venus --> seems to be never-ending, what do I do?

Pluto --> Venus --> Jupiter --> Mars --> Mercury --> Uranus --> Pluto

Last edited:

Manic_Monday

Sun is in Virgo (ruled by Mercury)
Moon is in Scorpio (ruled by Pluto)
Mercury is in Virgo (ruled by Mercury)
Venus is in Leo (ruled by Sun)
Mars is in Taurus (ruled by Venus)
Jupiter is in Leo (ruled by Sun)
Saturn is in Capricorn (ruled by Saturn)
Uranus is in Capricorn (ruled by Saturn)
Neptune is in Capricorn (ruled by Saturn)
Pluto is in Scorpio (ruled by Pluto)

Sun is disposited by Mercury
Moon is disposited by Pluto
Mercury is disposited by Mercury
Venus is disposited by Sun
Mars is disposited by Venus
Jupiter is disposited by Sun
Uranus is disposited by Saturn
Pluto is disposited by Pluto

Sun --> Mercury
Moon --> Pluto
Mercury --> Mercury
Venus --> Sun
Mars --> Venus
Jupiter --> Sun
Saturn --> Saturn
Uranus --> Saturn
Neptune --> Saturn
Pluto --> Pluto

Saturn --> Saturn
Uranus --> Saturn
Neptune --> Saturn
Sun --> Mercury
Mercury --> Mercury
Moon --> Pluto
Pluto --> Pluto
Venus --> Sun
Jupiter --> Sun
Mars --> Venus

Saturn --> Saturn
Uranus --> Saturn
Neptune --> Saturn
Sun --> Mercury
Mercury --> Mercury
Moon --> Pluto
Pluto --> Pluto
Venus --> Sun
Jupiter --> Sun

Saturn - 3
Mercury - 2
Pluto - 2
Sun - 2
Venus - 1

Saturn --> Saturn
Mercury --> Mercury
Pluto --> Pluto
Sun --> Mercury
Venus --> Sun --> Mercury --> Mercury

:confused: Am I doing something wrong? I don't get this. This isn't correct, is it?