Possible Summer Job Event Chart

Arian Maverick

I'm uncertain if this thread would be better suited in the Horary Astrology board, but this is the chart of the moment my mother informed me of a possible job opportunity at Rite Aid this summer and during the school year in which, if accepted, I would be trained as a cashier and made into a technician in the pharmacy department. Several questions flew into my mind as I absorbed the news, but I believe the first one asked if I should take the job. Of course, this is an incredibly vague question and not one I would normally use as the question upon which a horary chart is cast, and I have also read that when an event chart is available, one should use this in place of a horary chart. The event and the questions occurred nearly simultaneously, so they are difficult to separate. Nevertheless, I am hoping that I may be able to glean some insight from the chart to learn if I am well-suited and even qualified for this job and, if so, should I schedule an interview. I would most likely attempt to use electional astrology to determine the most auspicious time date for this interview out of the possible times given to me, but I believe that I am getting ahead of myself. I am quite excited about this opportunity although I am somewhat concerned that it will conflict with my volunteer work at Summer Music School this summer, but again, I will cross this bridge when I reach it. I am considering going to the local community college, if not the fall semester than possibly the spring semester because I am eligible for free tuition due my placement in the top 20% of my class. I believe I'm ranked quite a bit higher, but this is the minimum percent that is required to received free tuition at this school and, once I have the number of credits required to graduate and maintain a high enough GPA, I will also receive free tuition at a state school; it's really a great deal and one that I would have difficulty passing up should I decide to further my education. However, I haven't had the most pleasant school experience and am considering taking a gap year or possibly surpassing college completely if I am able to find a job I enjoy that pays relatively well. But yet again, this is a different matter, for I am attempting to take one step at a time instead of forging ahead at typical Aries warp speed.

Here is the chart, which looks quite interesting from first glance:

I immediately noticed, as those who are reading this thread likely have, that Venus is conjunct the Midheaven in Gemini and opposes retrograde Jupiter in Sagittarius, which is tightly conjunct the Nadir from its dark side; Venus is separating from this opposition, although I am unsure of the significance of this. I will admit concern about the two traditional benefic planets opposing each other, especially because Venus rules my ninth house cusp of higher education. However, I believe this opposition may symbolize the dilemma I described earlier; I have basically have two choices before me--to enter the workforce immediately or stall for four or more years by attending college. As retrograde Jupiter conjunct my nadir may or may not symbolize, I have been having difficulty resisting the social pressure to pursue higher learning and my own desire to escape a structured learning environment that often promotes rote memorization and assigns incredibly time-and energy-consuming tasks that have little or no bearing to what I wish to do with my life. This has been such a huge theme of the past few years that I fear that I am unable to interpret this chart objectively.

Mars is separating from a conjunction with Uranus in Pisces, both of which are conjunct the North Node in the sixth house. However, because both planets and the nodal axis are within five degrees of the Descendant, I consider them to be in the seventh house although the sixth house seems more descriptive of the type of work I will most likely be doing; I will add that I do not intend for this to be my final vocation, which I believe is signified by Mercury in Taurus, the ruler of Midheaven, although I am hoping that the skills I learn in this possible job may assist me in whatever career I may wish to pursue. Yet again, this is a matter for another time.

I am a bit concerned that my signifier, if I can use one for an event chart, is combust and approaching rather than separating from a conjunction with the Sun; it is also located in the eighth house, which seems rather ominous. The Sun is within five degrees of the ninth house cusp, so I will consider it to be in the ninth house; however, Mercury is not. With the orb settings I have used, both planets are unaspected except for a minor aspect with Venus in Gemini on the Midheaven. Mercury and Venus are in mutual reception with each other, however, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that I should interpret the chart as if these planets were actually being located in the other's sign and house. This may be incorrect, for although I have read and purchased two horary astrology books, I am still a novice at best and have difficulty interpreting what astrological influences suggest or literally mean. However, if I use this 'rule', I Mercury would no longer be combust but Venus would, which concerns me since, as I mentioned earlier, Venus is the ruler of my ninth house cusp.

I fear that I am not making much progress for I never seem to decisively answer the question, but I will continue to analyze this event chart for possible insight into this situation. I do not believe I mentioned that the Libra Moon forms an Air Trine with sixth house Neptune (technically in the fifth house but within five degrees of the sixth house cusp) in Aquarius, and the seventh house Mars-Uranus conjunction (again, technically in the sixth house but within five degrees of the Descendant) forms a mutable T-square with the Venus-retrograde Jupiter opposition. These are all of the major configurations I see in the chart, although I also think the minor quincunx aspect between Mars and Saturn is interesting.

Now, what does all of this astrological jargon mean? Well, since my significator is combust and unaspected (except for a minor aspect with Venus) in a succedent house, I do not think I am in a very strong situation. I believe this to be obvious considering the circumstances I find myself in, but I will attempt to forge ahead. I am in mutual reception with Venus, the ruler of the ninth house cusp (the house of higher education)--perhaps I will go to college one day? But that's not why I created this chart; I want to see if I should apply for this job. I believe it would be signified by Saturn, the ruler of the sixth house cusp, because as I mentioned earlier, I do not plan for this to be my final career. However, this may be inconsequential and perhaps the tenth house should be used. I think I need to get my significators straight before I attempt to further delineate this chart; any help would be greatly appreciated, for as you have observed from reading my rambling post, I am very confused...

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I believe your signifier is actually going to be Jupiter. The first house in event charts is the person or group or what-have-you that initiated the event, and the Descendant is the person or group that is receiving the event. I think this symbolism is perhaps a bit better. Jupiter in Sagittarius is comfortable, you knew where you were going, but then Jupiter is retrograde and uncomfortable, signifying your uncomfort or insecurity of this new event.

Arian Maverick

Oh, this makes sense--especially since Mars is conjunct the Descendant! :D

So should I turn the chart and make the Descendant the Ascendant? My mother initiated the event by visiting RiteAid and informing me of the job opening when I returned home from school, so would she be represented by the Mercury instead, the ruler of the Ascendant? Unfortunately, the neat rule of counting the tenth house from the turned Ascendant does not seem to work in this case, nor can I count the fifth house from the Ascendant...

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

Yes, in PISCES (please get it, please get the reference!)

Ha ha, yes, I got it! :p

Oddly enough, I was searching through my Astrodienst database several minutes ago and located a similar chart in which someone (probably my mother again) informed me of another possible career in instrumental repair; the chart has a Pisces Descendant and Jupiter is tightly conjunct the Nadir from the third house side! Mercury is combust in this chart in an earth sign (Capricorn) as well, but Mercury is separating from the Sun...

Arian Maverick

SolarSiren

Hmm....Well AM, if we go by horary guidelines....Since I'm not too comfy with event charts...

I see you as Mercury...You're Combust(weakened) by the Sun (12th ruler - unconscious fears?).
Mercury rules younger people, scholars, so it seems to fit you.

I read that it's good to have the questioner, and the house ruling the asked about area, ruled by the same planet(in event charts)...This is a plus then, the 10th with Gemini.

That would mean the job is Combust too...the store having business troubles?

Venus rules the 2nd(Your income) and 9th(higher learning), she is accepted in Mercury's sign. Another plus.

If you'd rather use the 6th to represent the position...It too isn't well placed, being in Leo & detrimented.

Moon in Via Combusta - Burning up again! VOC - Nothing more happening.

I don't see any applications to Mercury or Saturn....
BUT the Moon will conj. Spica in 1 degree, and Mercury will move to it's own Terms in 1 degree also....Hoping you catch a lead to an even *more* beneficial opportunity!

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
She's not Mercury though, she's Jupiter. Jupiter opposes Venus in the tenth house, I actually think this is a good sign. Venus bestows fortune on all things, add to it that Venus and Mercury (the job) are in mutual reception, showing a strong connection between the two. The opposition between Venus/Jupiter (even though oppositions aren't so hot) shows a strong connection between the job and yourself.

Arian Maverick

Ah, so you are counting ten houses from the seventh; I was confused because I consider my mother to be the initiator of the event.

By the way, I visited the pharmacy today to drop off my application, but the manager wasn't there and I decided that I would prefer to do it in person. I'm going on my lunch break tomorrow, which begins at approximately 11:10 AM.

Should this be the new chart?

Arian Maverick

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Yes, you can create an event chart for your handing in the application. That would reflect the ultimate outcome. Should be interesting to look at and compare it to this first chart.

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

Alright, the deed has been done :)

I arrived at Rite Aid at precisely 11:12 AM today and after handing in my application, answering a few of the manager's questions, and listening to him describe the position, exactly ten minutes had passed. Unfortunately, I do not generally wear a watch and thus could not record the exact moment the brief meeting began, but I imagine it must have taken me a minute or two to enter the store and walk towards the pharmacy department, which is located in the back; I also waited perhaps two or three minutes to speak with the manager, although at the time it seemed quite a bit longer.

Therefore, I would say that 11:15 AM would be a fairly good estimate:

Arian Maverick

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Okay, here's the rulership rundown I've created in my mind (someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of these): You're the Sun in Taurus and the Ascendant, the application is Mercury in Taurus and the third house, and the boss you spoke with is either going to be Mars in Pisces and the tenth house (for bosses), or Saturn in Leo and the seventh house for being the receiver of the event. Which do you think better suits him symbolically? I personally want to use the seventh house and Saturn, but I'll wait to get your opinion on symbolism before I continue. Though, it may be best to interpret the chart using both houses for him...