The Cold Face of Uranus

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Uranus:
Planet of technology, but in my book not ruler of Aquarius-Saturn is!
Technology is only one part of the story here....Technology gives us choices.We make those choices. If it is *in our nature* to end a relationship in a cruel, avoiding manner, such as by a text message, then if we have that technology available, we will use it.Some will.
Print on a screen, such as emails,sms messages, allows us to separate from our feelings- if we want to...it makes it easy to avoid facing people and the consequences of our actions and decisions- if we so choose. Alarmingly a whole generation seem to be choosing this modus operandi...The generation of kids who have Uranus in sag, and then cap.
As saturn rules the fundamental structure of both our parochial society and the global society, I think we will be in for interesting changes when saturn and Uranus oppose...
The existence of technology continually raises issues of responsible use of it.We are seeing this in every aspect of technology- the ethical issues of medical interventions, the privacy issues raised by modern surveillance-the list goes on, but we are seeing it in our personal relationships also, and how we conduct them.Mobile cell phones, emails etc enable us to immediately *project* our **** onto another person...no sad face before us to allow compassion or empathy to enter into it- clinical.We are a *throwaway society* consumed by materialism and more and more distancing ourselves from our feelings. Saturn brings stability and structure-Uranus brings challenge, disruption and change...When these two oppose, who will prevail?
Uranus tugs at the very fundaments of our society, challenging our views to everything.Pluto, in capricorn, will be in saturns sign (on saturns side?).
When saturn is finished with virgo it moves into Libra-where the issues of how we relate will be a focus....Not far into the future we will have a society made up of people who have *been dumped by text message*(!)...it will be interesting to see if the current trend continues....
Cheers Lillyjgc

Nexus7

I can certainly reate to all those who are saying that they have been spending too much time on their computers. Me too. In fact, I even bought a PDA to make it even more accessible. Get to a Wifi zone, look for all those litle Unranian flashes and zigzags as I get my computer out of the old handbag.

I go along woith Gaer's comment about not reducing everyone to black and white stereotyping too.

Must be missing a Uranian dimension, that is all. I am on an astrocartography where there is plenty of communication with Mercury, lots of timetables and correcting with Saturn, but did start to miss, well, Uransina dimensions in my life.

Sadly, however, what has manifested in one or two virtual cyber astrocartography zones was a litle less of Uranus and more Pluto with all kinds of agendas I dd not know about, all too often. But then the place where this was based was on my Jupiter-Pluto line.

Yes, I have joked with my students about some of themore Uranian methods employers my use to rationalise staff too, such as the SMS at break time with 'You are fired. Have a nice day.'

There are also a lot of texts that come up for me about how allthis wonderful accessibilityx makes many more people impatunet and bad-tempered because of the speed with which itis posible to comunicate over the internet. In one tet I had to give my students, there was the story that overr a quarter of people vandalise their mice, their monitors, when they get stck. Something sems to be happening tere a litle short of Uranian detachment there.

Any thoughts? Eirher on this, or on virtual astrocartography lines?

Nexus7

Well, speaking from my point of view, it was not actually my intention to brush anyone off. Gaer touched on an issue I feel strongly about, regarding star-sign stereotyping and I responded to thast sentiment, rather than those expressed by anyone else. If anyone would rather I started a separate thread about that, then I will, if requested to do so.

I was trying to say that I agree that there can be a cold side to the way the internet is used to communicate - and for that matter, the use of text messages to communicate. I once got a huge b"+!%/%!ing from one potential employer form responding to a job advert by SMS. The director really got on her high horse and sent me back a message, asking me 'if this was really the way I thought things were done here?????'

I sent an SMS back on that occasion arguing that one, which was probably not quite the right strategy to take when I should have been toroughly 'umble, but I had already decided I did not want to work for this place.

It could be seen as a Uranian thing and no doubt is, though I was also trying to say that the (Uranian) impersonality of the internet might also just be very useful to hide behind and even exploit, as in the case where there might be more personal power issues going on - or just plain hurt feelings and grudges, for example.

tsquare

I see planets as not being so much dichotomous, black, and white.....and I see planets as having harmonic properties........they have denser and lighter properties...wavelengths......higher and lower properties.......it's still the same note, just a different harmonic........I also think as far as uranus goes it does have a cold side....but I dont see that use of termenology as, a cold side, and a warm side....I see the use of the word cold here as a property we seem to see with uranus, and I see it as having to do with harmonics........higher harmonics of planets are more transidental.........
Like with neptune, the low part of neptune is escapism of some sorts, and also can equal unconfrontability, yet at a higher harmonic we see spirituality, cleansing, much like scorpio, we see forms of spirituality.....some forms of spirityality are of a lower harmonic....banding together in overwealm to escape a reality, some I see as an undoing of actual reality that one has realized that one has caused....this is very general, but an example.

Uranus does have a property of detatchment....especially if it is going to be associated with aquarius.....aqaurious stays outside of the action....it has space, it is creative, and fixed in it's purposes.....yet the self stands behind a ridge, and operates behind a wall of sorts..........I've dated aquarious girls....they seem not there at times.....yet they are....so it's odd.....it can seem like detatchement and in a sorts is.....it is an air sign.....not a dispersal like gemini......air signs are more intelectual of sorts....yet no one is a pure sign...there are other influences......someone with alot of air is going to be more....."detatched".........and fire can even be more detatched.......sagitarius can be dissasociation....fire can be lighter then air.......hence even more judgemental. fire signs are more individual.....air sign's deal more with viewpoint......aquarious is fixed...I'm not too suprised that it is a caryover from capricorn..next in the wheel.

planets have more then one property.
mars is war, yet at another harmonic deals with truth.
.....it is easy to just associate planets with one attribute....I dont think that with one property it automatically brings another.......I don't see them as ditchotomous.......catch 22s.

Uranus can have a cold "side".

gaer

Natasha said:
Not sure of your point Gaer. I mentioned several times that my input had nothing to do with people on the site or any one person but the archytype.
My post never mentioned anyone by name. I was not responding to you personally. If I had meant to, I would have quoted, as I'm doing here.
There are other referneces which I can give related to my input relating to Uranian Aquarian energy.

Of course if does not mean anyone with a luminary or other planets or midheaven or ascendant in Aquarius epitomizes the archytype.
That was my point. :)

Shining Ray said:
And Gaer I don't understand your comment either, why you are reacting over a discussion on Aquarius or Uranus I don't know.
My comments had nothing to do with a discussion of either Uranus or Aquarius. It had to do with labeling people as being typical of one of the 12 signs on the basis of one planet, usually the Sun. :)

Gaer

gaer

lillyjgc said:
Uranus:

Technology is only one part of the story here....Technology gives us choices.We make those choices. If it is *in our nature* to end a relationship in a cruel, avoiding manner, such as by a text message, then if we have that technology available, we will use it. Some will.
Exactly. The tools that technology gives us are no more than that: tools. Global communication (the Internet) has given me the opportunity to meet people from around the world. Some people come and go, suddenly disappearing, but others have written to me for almost 10 years.
Print on a screen, such as emails, sms messages, allows us to separate from our feelings- if we want to...it makes it easy to avoid facing people and the consequences of our actions and decisions- if we so choose.
I agree. For instance, we get out of our written communications exactly what we put into them. :)

Gaer

Natasha

Shining Ray said:
Quotes on Aquarius/Uranus
Liz Greene ~
There is an element in Aquarius which which can only be described as intellectual bigotry. The courageous fixity of ideals can become stubborn fanaticism - the rigidly rational scientist with no heart, who is the caricature in this modern age.

Aquarius is the fellow who loves humanity but doesn't like individuals. He can be cold, unfeeling, insensitive, rigid, dogmatic and downright stupid when it comes to the subtleties of human relationship. He can stand by principles when principles are the least relevant thing in the situation. His fairness can be blindly infuriating when what is most needed is a little bias.

Aquarius is often embarrassed by emotion, and finds it distasteful both in himself and in others.
P.S This was only a version of the other side of Aquarius/Uranus there where lots of pages in the book which had lots of lovely things to say about Aquarius. All the signs have their worse side discussed as well as their best side.
This is exactly what I feel is one side of the Aquarius / Uranus archytype.
I think its represented in Australia in spades. Ironically yesterday was australia day which is actually the settlement day whose chart can be found on this website. There are two charts on for settlement day which is the one celebrated as a public holiday and one for federation day which is 1 janurary. Its the 26 jan I am interested in as its so aquarian - 5 planets plus the ascendant in aquarius. One can see the shadow side mentioned by shining ray sooo strongly in Australia.
from where I stand examples are -
- The group makes its own rules which become sacrisant and ignores the
official rules eg the behaviour of drivers on the road is classic
- The burearucrats who have a LOT of power here in governments & councils and behind large enterprises which are or were publicly owned. This GROUP as a group (not individuals persea) - show shadow of aquarian imo. Their ideology takes precedence over being helpful to the people they are supposed to be serving OR doing good business fiscally.
- religion is actively discouraged here in favour of atheism in schools & public institutions. I dont advocate the other extreme either but feel the current option is just as bigoted as the fundamentalist religion option.

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Its helpful to look at the myth of Ouranus and how he was burying Gaia's children because he saw them as ugly and deformed. Then Cronos actually castrated ouranus. Looking at how this imagery relates to the archytype of Uranus and Aquarius.

Yes, but how exactly does it fit together? That's my point. Parts of it I can see, such as the Uranian distance, this 'cold' we're speaking of. I see it in reference to mythology as to how far away the sky is to us now, when the Earth and Sky used to be together.

Other such things as the supposed unpredictability and overall craziness associated with Uranus, however, I don't see in mythology. We cite some stuff via mythology, but then other associations we seem to just pull from the air and be like "Yep, that's Uranus alright."

I wrote a blog about how I thought astrologer's were just being crazy when it came to Uranus. How appropriate it was that the planet Saturn was phyiscally bound by a ring, and had to do with structure and limitations. Then here comes Uranus with the exact same physically visible property, but is somehow the anti-Saturn. What now?

Anyway, back on topic as to the Uranian coldness, I definately agree. Astrologers writing around the time of Uranus' discovery said he was 'very frigid' and 'a malefic of equal or greater power than Saturn'. Just throwing that out there.

Anyway, back on topic as to the Uranian coldness, I definately agree. Astrologers writing around the time of Uranus' discovery said he was 'very frigid' and 'a malefic of equal or greater power than Saturn'. Just throwing that out there

there is a total truth there i think.........something i dont want to believe having being "ruled" by both........i wanna change my chart

Nexus7

Anyway, back on topic as to the Uranian coldness, I definately agree. Astrologers writing around the time of Uranus' discovery said he was 'very frigid' and 'a malefic of equal or greater power than Saturn'. Just throwing that out there.

Actually, I think there is a point here. I think astrologers do tend to glamorise what they see as the 'lovable eccentric' side of Uranus.

Well, I did read Liz Greene's book on the planet recently and she suggests that because it is a 'collective' planet, it is easy somehow not to really work with it, or somehow missthe point of any real freedom or insights it could offer. Maybe, it somehow does not get past the 'censoring' side of Saturn, or this really is the nature of the beast. For example, I met any number of people who were Against the System at one time, but what struck me all too often was how easy it was to fall foul of some of their pettier ways of determining who was Against us rather than With Us.

The brave young revolutionary who decided I was bourgeois because I kept ice tea in my fridge. The radical feminist who began to deplore me as anti-gaia after she saw me use my pocket computer (this was at the end of the 80's by the way.) Polarisation of opinions here, there, everywhere. If you were a mystic you could not be politicval, whilstif you were political you could not be a mystic.

I think Donna Cunningham made that point too - there was a sort of a splitting going on, where each in-group becomes more and more fanatically exclusive.

It could be, of course, that what actually hapens is that here are genuinely the flashes of genius and insight, but that somehow it cannot survive long without some kind of Saturnian calcification. Beethoven had Uranus rising and nobody could argue now that there is not the authentic stamp of genius in his music.

I can think of one Uranian who wanted to usher in a Brave New World. He had Uranus on his Ascendant in the 12th, in Libra.

gaer

Shining Ray said:
Quotes on Aquarius/Uranus

Liz Greene ~ Aquarius usually has a clear, coherent code of ethics. One should be honest, decent, civilised and fair. One should always be conscious of other people's rights. One shouldn't be possessive in close relationships, and one should never be vindictive even if one is badly hurt. These are civilised codes of behavior which can prevent the unpredictable and appalling from happening, as long as everyone in the group agrees with the code. Of course everyone says they agree because the codes are obviously honourable and good: and of course someone, sooner or later, will find he or she simply cannot follow the rules any longer. Human need and human greed invariably throws a spanner in the works and once the shock and pain have subsided Aquarius goes to work again, trying to improve the system according to what has been learned from the latest eruption. For Aquarius the world is in constant need of improvement. It is never totally right; and it is also never going to be totally right, because no matter how hard Aquarius works to perfect and enforce it's codes, there will always be elements in human nature which defy them.
I like all of that.

One thing that becomes confusing or at least terribly complicated is the issue of the ruler of Aquarius. Is it Uranus? Or Saturn?

Here is a nice article on Skyscript right now that goes into the history of the how Uranus got linked to Aquarius:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/ur_aq.html

While Uranus may be very good for describing some of what we asscoiate with Aquarius, such as new ideas that appear to come from nowhere (sudden intellectual inspiration), it isn't very good at all at explaining other things.

Reading carefully some of Greene's negative comments about Aquarius, and agreeing the if we read all she has to say, the picture will be balanced, I would still wonder where this is coming from if I think only of Uranus:
[Greene]
There is an element in Aquarius which which can only be described as intellectual bigotry. The courageous fixity of ideals can become stubborn fanaticism - the rigidly rational scientist with no heart, who is the caricature in this modern age. This is the fellow who invents a new weapon because it is scientifically interesting and immensely effective, without the wit to realize that people don't have the psychological maturity to handle to handle such a thing with any responsibility. A little closer to home this fellow who doesn't worry about the few people who might be harmed by the faulty nuclear reactor - or disguises the actual percentage of radioactivity in the atmosphere - because well, those are only a few little people, and they don't really have anything to do with grand things like our country's defence and power.
Fixity of ideals? Rigidly rational? Sounds like Saturn to me. We could easily view Aquarius as the other side of Capricorn, or the next logical step after it. In a sense, a great deal of Aquarius is about building a whole new set of structures ON TOP of those already built by Capricorn.

We might even say:

Capricorn (Saturn)=build, slowly, carefully, set the foundations.

Aquarius (Saturn)=rebuild with improvements, again and again and again.

And that's where things can go so wrong. If there is any flaw in Capricorn's rules, structures, "grounding", then Aquarius builds a whole new structure on top of another that is sinking into quicksand. It always comes down to balance. So the greatest danger is that Aquarius will advocate change too quickly, failing to make sure that which it is building upon is not flawed.

I feel, based on my own personal experience, that when the energy I associate with Aquarius is not balanced, grounded, controlled, that is precisely when you see the negative side.

On an interpersonal level, it's exactly the time when you observe someone who is strongly Aquarian coldly analyzing someone else's behavior during an emotionally painful time, yet that same Aquarian will be just as irrational when s/he is "off"—and will deny it later. It's a definite blind-spot

However, I don't call a person "an Aquarian" just because one planet is in the sign, and even people with Aquarius strongly emphasized may have other planets/aspects that lend a great deal of sensitivity, empathy and so on.

So for me, this "coldness" associated with Aquarius comes not from the sign itself, which has so many strengths, but from many other factors that suggest reason and logic are so highly valued that little respect remains for anything else. Any sign (or planet), out of balance, causes serious character flaws.

Gaer

Last edited:
Nexus, there IS a lovable eccentric side of uranus too.....
THere has to be, because i can tell you now....i am not totally saturnian...i agee that it can me likened to the great malific like saturn but i also would say that there is nothing else in my chart personally that would point to the eccentricity i posess.......nothing else pointing me to be the hippy i am in my physical world, nothing else pointing towards my humantiatrian environmental hobbies.
there is always two sides of a coin..........

Last edited:

Nexus7

The lovable eccentric side to Uranus? Of course there is, Liquid Green!

I wasn't exactly trying to play the devil's advocate, my observations are coming from a lot of mixed experiences of my own, really. I have a Moon-Chiron conjunction in Aquarius opposing Uranus, and the Moon-Uranus opposition is exact. My mother has a Sun-Mercury-Saturn conjunction sitting on my Moon, my father has his Saturn there - they thought, maybe still do in all probability, think I am crazy - especially if ever letting the side down and emoting.

There is often a kind of a Cancer-Leo-type dynamic with people whose Sun is in the same sign as my Moon - not always, but enough times to take note. Sometimes I seen the kind of breathtaking insensitivity and arrogance hinted at by Liz Greene in these people, whilst they see me as being too subjective, personal and wimpy, yet I have been laid into by others for being aloof and detached enough times myself. Oh, and eccentric too.

You bring whatever planetary energies to each sign what you bring, I suppose.

Kingsley

Hi Nexus, is Chiron going over you Moon soon?

I subscribe to the traditional rulerships and use the outers independently. Saturn rules Aquarius with Uranus acting like a sub ruler without dignity in ant matters. Aquarius is not really a weird crazy sign, even though these sun sign types aspire to the eccentric descriptions some books write about. It just worked out really good for Aquarians that the tag of eccentricty placed on them. With Saturn ruling Aqarius, the sign is socially-traditional, really; however reformative in their method. Aqarians like to change traditional things into a newer versions. That shows up their difference. They may not be conservative traditionalists however traditionalists they are. Its the fixed air energy and thats how the sign will work with other applications in astrology.

Anyway that is my method and wich was arrived at after many a conference. You may choose to use Uranus and Aqarius in a modern sense. Thats ok if it works.

kingsley

Frisiangal

Carole wrote:
the problem is not Uranus. The problem is us.:eek:

Got to agree with that, especially if we're stuck in the bounds of Saturn. The outer planets as well as the generation gap bring that into focus almost daily.
It's also 'The Dawning of the Age of Aquarius', as a popular song once sang about.
It's not just in communication that the 'cold face of Uranus' is showing itself; it's in everyday life that changes to fit the Spirt of the Time; from divorce to computers to pre-after school caretaking by strangers to a multi-racial and (non)functioning society to kloning. The electronic and futuristic robot age does not only apply to personal inter-communication; its feelers reach and effect all manner of society. I'm now 'an oldie' who has greeted technological advancement in some ways whilst cursing it in others. I still use 'the brains I was born with'; the youngsters turn to their brain....the digital device that thinks for them. And woebetide if there's a power failure; everything goes back to Saturn and stands still!
Only yesterday my age really caught up with me when the news reported that within a couple of months you'll no longer be able to buy a single c.d. because everyone downloads from the computer! My first bought single was a 78rpm. (now part of the 'Museum of the 20th Century' in town!) :D

You can't move forward into the Age of Aquarius without Uranus, even if Saturn would still like to keep rulership! Strangely both are considered 'cold'
but the robot age is still a quite frightening concept to those of us with blood running through our veins.:)

F.

Natasha

Shining Ray said:
Hi Gaer,Here is a video on gang ideology, which is focused on the type of gang/group who are into criminal activities deviant behavior. But the group itself has it's ideology. I think sometimes people just think along the lines of all the good humanitarian groups and so on..but not everybody's ideals are the same. You can see how both Saturn and Uranus play a role in the "group" whether humanitarian, political, or criminal.
The words used in this video of group ideology are:
Punishment and discipline to control structure. Rules of the gang. Boundaries and adherence. Respect. These are all Saturn key words.
Video below, explains it well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8jX6smW3eo

Its interesting to notice that groups who see themselves as operating outside the mainstream 'value' or the conventional law, seem to have their own very rigid codes of behaviour which they hold sacrosanct
I recall the left wing groups at university who prided themselves on being "individual" (read dont conform to campus rules mainstream values attitudes etc) were as a group very rigid with stereotyped dress code, tastes in music, even speech style, set political views, set social views which the whole group was expected to conform to. The inference being if you dont conform your OUT of the group
Thinking back I think this was a classic example of Uranian energy overtaken by its shadow side.

Last edited:

Kingsley

Nexus7 said:
'Hi Nexus, is Chiron going over you Moon soon?'

In a few days, ti will be exact again for the second time.

keep in touch Nexus, I have mine coming up soon, however with the chiron return just about to start 'proper' looks like a bumby ride this year. (not that last year was smooth either)

best
Kingsley