problem with Mercury in Pisces

reallypisces

Hello! I start this thread with hope that somebody could give me advice or share some experience what to do with my Mercury in Pisces. The problem is, with Mercury being in this sign, it seems to me that I'm able to pick up the atmosphere of interactions between people and I have rather precise intuition of what course any conversation is going to take. I am more of a listener than a talker, and when somebody tries to expain his/her point of view to me, it seems to me that I understand it perfectly. However, when it is my turn to explain my point of view, my thinking gets really cloudy and I always end up being unpleasantly surprised about how disorganised my thinkig is. It is also true that sometimes I tend to jump to conclusions. As a result, people with clearer thinking (and usually better placed Mercury) often confront me and point at contrandictions and lack of accuracy in my statements. I know that they are right, but it makes me very angry. The reason is, I think, my Mercury in Pisces squaring my Mars in Gemini in my 1st house. When somebody confronts me, it makes me feel really stupid, and at the same time I feel angry because I don't think I'm really that stupid, it's only that I understand a lot of things intuitively, but I can't express them properly. I feel angry both because of my inability and because it seems to me that the other person uses unfair means to make me feel that way.
I feel confused, could somebody please give some insight, what is going on with my thinking and what to do with my feelings?
IMG%5D
IMG%5D
IMG%5D

IMG%5D

Last edited:
Welcome.

It be most helpful to ‘post’ their charts (rather than data), for others to comment on as we are all visual. For help on how to do this, go here http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12126

It sounds very much to me that your mercury has an aspect to Neptune. Mars and mercury can be too forceful verbally are even argumentative.

My way of helping newbies is for them to do more research and learning rather than just ‘drop the answer in your lap’ and not necessarily to provide professional readings and forecast future events.
Having a Sagittarius MC is the sign of the teacher and I do indeed teach astrology. This forum is a wonderful community of all mixed levels. So instead of dropping the answer in your lap I may provide links and dangle carrots in the hope that if you are sincerely interested enough you will do the research and enlighten yourself….

http://cafeastrology.com/natal/planetsaspectsastrology.html

hi, i have mercury in pisces 28°21 and retrograde ! all what you have said fits perfectly with my youth but i have put so many efforts to stand up my nowaydays sharp tongue ! discipline and reading books are the keys ! i must confess that i have an exactly trine between mercury and jupiter in 29° Cancer : my eloquence seems to get on tremendously plus i have a trine mercury/uranus 7,8° and mars conjunct mercury. the more i get older the more i speak clearly. I am like you very sensitive to other's talkers and when there is too many speakers or agressive speakers(and paradoxically i am) i always have a psychosomatic reaction to this, especially through bad emotions! I feel it and then i leave the place to recover from the suffer.

Last edited:

reallypisces

Astrologer50 and entrevisions, thank you! I really do have Mercury-Neptune aspect, but it is sextile. The problem is not that I would get really verbally aggressive, it's rather how I feel inside. What I actually do is just shut my mouth and feel stupid. I enjoy reading books though. By the way, how does your Mercury-Uranus trine manifest itself? I don't have much Uranus aspects, therefore I'm interested.
Edit:
Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you said you had sharp toungue from your childhood. (You see, Pisces :D) I hope something good will happen to my Mercury too before I get completely messed up.:60:
My chart:
astro_w2gw_01_a_hp4149223664.gif

Last edited:

starlink

Really Pisces, what you described about your placement of Mercury in Pisces is not at all surprising. The mixture of communication (Merc.) and confusion (Pisces) is already there. But not all is "lost" in your case at all.

Mercury sextiles his own ruler Neptune, who is very well placed in the 9th house and on top of that in constructive Capricorn, so the confused element Neptune can give, has the chance to be corrected into straightline thinking by Capricorn. A sextile is a positive aspect, but it does need input from yourself. It is not like a trine where everything is flowing beautifully and with ease. Now a planet always has to function in the area where his ruler is placed. It is like the ruler tells him: come over here and express yourself in this 9th house of yours, the house of own opinions, philosofical ideas etc.

The fact that Neptune is sextiling Pluto and Mercury is trining Pluto, shows that you can convince others of your opinions on something. The key is to speak in a more concentrated and slow way instead of blurting (square Mars) things out. Saturn, ruler of Neptune is in Capricorn, very well placed in own sign, so I am convinced that you can learn (own input, sextile) to speak in such a way that you will not sound confused or contradictory.

Now, traditionally, that Mercury is ruled by Jupiter and Jupiter is in talkative Gemini in conjunction no less with Mars very closed to your Ascendant. This position is excellent for public speaking, but again, think before you speak.

You let yourself be taken over by your emotions (Jupiter/Mars sextile Moon) which causes you to loose concentration. But you can do it with the help of your ruler Neptune in Capricorn, a very helpful placement for Neptune.

Hi reallypisces,

I have Mercury in Pisces square to Neptune, a double dose of confusion :confused:. With Mercury/Mars you have the opportunity to turn it around and have more confidence in speaking. Mars in Gemini probably feels annoyed with Mercury in Pisces because Mars in Gemini is the intellectual, verbal chatterbox, whilst Mercury Pisces is more softly spoken, and intuitively arrives at conclusions. Mercury in Pisces does not base everything on facts etc, but rather images and feelings.

You have the challenge of combining these two very different energies, sometimes energy can be projected, and you feel others are attacking you verbally by making you feel dumb ect. Just think of Mars in Gemini and Mercury in Pisces as two different characters in your chart, who are in conflict with one another. You can see where the difficulty arises between these two energies.

From my own personal experience, I am not verbally fast, I prefer the written word or reading books. In verbally speaking I have been challenged because I am sensitive to the environment. I have been complimented a lot on my writing style, but in verbal communication I have been poor. You need to find where your strong in your Mercury abilities and play on those strengths. Try and find activities where you can practice expressing yourself verbally, and remember some people are missing the sensitivity antenna in communication, and can be blunt, and enjoy making others feel stupid. Forgive their ignorance :p and have faith in your own communication style. :)

I hope you find a way to integrate these energies, and feel more positive. ;)

Last edited:

katydid

reallypisces said:
Hello! I start this thread with hope that somebody could give me advice or share some experience what to do with my Mercury in Pisces. The problem is, with Mercury being in this sign, it seems to me that I'm able to pick up the atmosphere of interactions between people and I have rather precise intuition of what course any conversation is going to take. I am more of a listener than a talker, and when somebody tries to expain his/her point of view to me, it seems to me that I understand it perfectly. However, when it is my turn to explain my point of view, my thinking gets really cloudy and I always end up being unpleasantly surprised about how disorganised my thinkig is. It is also true that sometimes I tend to jump to conclusions. As a result, people with clearer thinking (and usually better placed Mercury) often confront me and point at contrandictions and lack of accuracy in my statements. I know that they are right, but it makes me very angry. The reason is, I think, my Mercury in Pisces squaring my Mars in Gemini in my 1st house. When somebody confronts me, it makes me feel really stupid, and at the same time I feel angry because I don't think I'm really that stupid, it's only that I understand a lot of things intuitively, but I can't express them properly. I feel angry both because of my inability and because it seems to me that the other person uses unfair means to make me feel that way.
I feel confused, could somebody please give some insight, what is going on with my thinking and what to do with my feelings?
]

Do you have Gemini rising as well, or Taurus?

It sounds like it might be Taurus asc which would impede the Mercury/Mars somewhat as they would be mutables having to go through a fixed ascendant.

Maybe you can look at your chart, and see what trines or sextiles either your mercury or your mars. If there is something, see what might help you flow through that easy release point for your mercury.
I can really relate as I have an exact mercury/jupiter opposition. I could completely understand and relate to what a teacher was saying to us, and i could even get the answer correct on a test. But if asked to explain why or how I got the right answer, I would choke. Once I even was accused of copying because I couldnt 'show my work.' I could not show the step by step process I took to get there, because I got there by my Scorpio Mercury, I intuited it. :eek:

edit= oh sorry- I just saw that you have posted the chart. I will look for an outlet. thanks.

Last edited:

stardust7

reallypisces said:
IMG%5D
IMG%5D
IMG%5D

IMG%5D
I have Mercury in Pisces, trine Moon in the 4th in Scorp and square Neptune in the 5th in Sag. I understand your frustration. On the one hand your Pisces placement makes you intuitive and empathetic; at the same time it is just hard to explain how you know things. Maybe you should accept that it's going to be hard to rationally explain the psychic, and half the people you encounter don't really believe it anyway.

There is a triple influence of water in my aspects (Neptune in Sag but is a watery planet), so I just know how other people feel. I very much identify with being sensitive to your environment. I can absorb other's thoughts. I also just seem to "know" things. I often have pre-cognition. Mine being in the 8th house, trine that Scorpio Moon--lots of Scorp there since it rules the 8th-- I pick up on the "darker" aspects of people whether I want to or not. People have asked me "how did you know that" and it is so hard to explain. I've pretty much scaled it down to a few things, which are very true:

-the subtlety of language; mostly the tone with which they say it
-body language (big time!)
-what they don't say, or leave out

And half the time it's just paying attention. People will "tell" you what they are really thinking without realizing it.

What is strange is that I am also able to intuit quite well just from language, online. This means I don't actually see their body language. Not sure how THAT works!

I think your issue lies in square to your Taurus ascendant, the Bull... you are sure you're right, you know you're right, how dare anyone question you! :p (I have Mars in Taurus) When they do, it touches upon your insecurity and you react with that defensiveness. Maybe what you need to work on is not so much learning how to explain yourself w/o getting frustrated... don't put the cart before the horse. I think what you need to work on is how to build confidence in your intuitions. You will never be able to satisfy a non-believer in your ability... so don't even try.

On the upside, are you creative and imaginative? I find Mercury in Pisces makes me somewhat of a dreamer and an artist and definitely empathetic and non-judgmental, because I automatically put myself in their shoes. Not so bad... try to see it as a gift rather than a weak spot.

:)

Stardust

Welcome,

Your chart shows huge 6th & 12th houses....

I’m a modern astrologer that uses Equal house system. You have calculated your chart using the default on astro.com of placidus and I use Equal House system and am a modern astrologer. Lots of people that come into Astrology get their free charts calculated at www.astro.com and the default ‘house system’ used is Placidus and think that’s just the norm and all that there is……..BUT that is just the tip of the iceberg. You can change the default on astro.com in Extended Chart selection to Equal house and a few more.

Throughout the forums but mainly in natal astrology there are two main branches Placidus (unequal size houses) v Equal House (whereby each house is same size) but lots more……. For more information on these go here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(astrology)#Description
http://www.astrolozy.com/article19.asp

It's only with study and research will you be able to assess where your planets are deposited and in which houses... thus see which 'glove fits'

Now in Equal house your 3 Pisces planets are in 10th house not 12th, which makes a huge difference in interpretations. Same with Moon it's strongly placed just inside 3rd house of communications. then 3 Cappi planets would be placed in 8th house Equal house

you said
"What I actually do is just shut my mouth and feel stupid."

This to me screams Mercury square Jupiter, cos it tends to overtalk or undertalk because of the square. Both are in mutable signs, but Mercury is similar to gemini and libra insomuch as all three are restless, procrastinating and indecisive. If your time is correct and Jupiter conjs Asc then that could make you a joker, pass on lots of bits of information, be bit of social butterfly and have short attention span.

Using Solar arcs for rectification at approx age 4 SA Asc progressed onto your Jupiter. what happened? Did you travel with family? Did you relocate?

Your Mercury also has a very nice trine to Pluto in 6th house, which is a nice outlet for your communications with co-workers, daily routines, health etc.

Very noticeably your chart lacks element of fire and surplus of earth
Surplus in earth just makes you very practical and probably good with hands and rather than emphasizing would prefer to offer practical advice rather than emphasize too much
Will send you PM as the forum rules stipulate that only 100words can be used from another author without stating the author, book or website and as I don’t recall exactly where or who and don’t want to commit plagiarism, don’t have any choice but to PM as I do want you to have the full information or
quote……

Now Mars/Jupiter conj is considered a confidence aspect, but your mars is quincuxed Uranus in 8th house.

[deleted overly-long copyrighted text - Moderator]

http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/quincunxinterpretations.html

Mars Uranus quincunx can also suffer from intermittent and painful ailments, have you found this applicable?

Another version of this aspect:-

[deleted overly-long copyrighted text - Moderator]

From the book ‘Aspects and Personality’ by Karen Hamaker-Zondag

So maybe this quincunx is interfering with your presentation/Asc the way you project yourself to others...

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

freedomlover

I have alot of the issues in this thread. My Mercury is not in Pisces, but it is retrograde in the 12th house. ( Sagittarius). I've always felt the Mercury in Pisces descriptions fit me pretty well. Like ReallyPisces, I have some Gemini action involved. My Mercury (r) in the 12th is disposited by and in mutual reception with Jupiter(r) in Gemini in the 6th.

However this energy works, it comes out much like ReallyPisces described in the opening post.

Joseph Ledzion

One of my clients born 7 days before you, although her Mercury is 29* Aquarius. Jupiter and Mars are also 29*, Taurus! Your chart is much easier than hers because of that.

Anyway, a major thing with you is the fact that your chart ruler and almuten, (most essentially dignified planet) Venus, is combust. So it's archetype is not fully understood by you. It's invisible to you and others because of the Sun's Rays. Relationships take place inside an invisible world, even more for you. In Pisces, the need to synthesis relationships in the purest form is key, although it is your own ego that is makes this difficult, because in a sense, you are so bright that you shine away the potential to truly connect with others and understand them. Further, in Pisces, understanding yourself is so difficult because you want to serve the world. It's definitely in the 11th house.

I suggest using Whole Sign Houses, no matter where you were born. WSH are the original "house" system, and they seem to work the best (to those brave enough to use them!)

There's that fact about your chart, and also what's important for you to understand in your chart is that the Ruler of the South Node is Mercury, in it's fall and detriment, is on the North Node. This means that you are repeating your past life's intellectual state of mind. You are using the same modes of thought that you used in your past lifetime, which, because they're in fall/detriment, indicates a need to make them more solid and real, and essentially because of the trine to Neptune and Saturn that Mercury makes, this strengthening can be said to have successfully occurred. Nothing like a solid trine to Saturn to straighten a mind out. With Neptune there, you also retain the connectivity to the etheric realm, as well.

I do not consider Uranus, Neptune or Pluto to rules signs. They are the grand archetypes that inspire matter, emotion and thought, and no single sign can be said to be tapped directly into that. No, they are available for all, and depend upon one's state of awareness. They are octaves of Mercury, Venus and Mars. Shouldn't Neptune rule over Taurus or Libra in that case??? Anyway....

Combining these two major things, we see that your desire to let go of the old ways of thinking and the desire to discover a totally new way of discovering a way to relate to the world is taking place this lifetime. You are born during a very special place in the synodic cycle, where a transmigration takes place and you become something new. And because of all this is in Pisces, you're definitely at the end of a major, major karmic soul cycle. Congratulations !

The key to understanding your intellect is by firstly recognizing that you are repeating past life thought patterns. Your relationships are repeated as well, and in this lifetime, you are shifting out of the old pattern and into a new soul pattern. So, again look to the past for the clues, if I have not made myself clear! Ruler of the South Node on the North Node.

Good luck !

Joseph

Joseph Ledzion

freedomlover said:
I have alot of the issues in this thread. My Mercury is not in Pisces, but it is retrograde in the 12th house. ( Sagittarius). I've always felt the Mercury in Pisces descriptions fit me pretty well. Like ReallyPisces, I have some Gemini action involved. My Mercury (r) in the 12th is disposited by and in mutual reception with Jupiter(r) in Gemini in the 6th.

However this energy works, it comes out much like ReallyPisces described in the opening post.

There's really no such thing as mutual reception between two planets that in their detriment. This is because their form, or body is fundamentally weak, and the soul, or energy, cannot incarnate into a weak body, and expect to live joyfully, in any manner.

Further, it is not commonly understood, that mutual reception can only occur between planets that aspecting each other. I haven't seen your chart, but just want to mention this.

If they are not in aspect, then there isn't really reception, but what is called "generosity." If they are not in aspect, cadant, and in detriment, this reception is extremely weak, virtually no good at all. If they are opposite, then a tiny shade more.

The problem here is that Mercury wants out of the house/position of imprisonment, and finds out, but by going to an equally (extremely) debilitated house/position, Jupiter in detriment in the house of illness. It's a no win situation.

Hopefully, there are positive aspects, sextiles or trines coming off both Mercury and Jupiter, that allow the energy to free itself.

Good Luck !!

Joseph

Last edited:

4leafclovah

reallypisces said:
I am more of a listener than a talker, and when somebody tries to expain his/her point of view to me, it seems to me that I understand it perfectly. However, when it is my turn to explain my point of view, my thinking gets really cloudy and I always end up being unpleasantly surprised about how disorganised my thinkig is. It is also true that sometimes I tend to jump to conclusions. As a result, people with clearer thinking (and usually better placed Mercury) often confront me and point at contrandictions and lack of accuracy in my statements. I know that they are right, but it makes me very angry. The reason is, I think, my Mercury in Pisces squaring my Mars in Gemini in my 1st house. When somebody confronts me, it makes me feel really stupid, and at the same time I feel angry because I don't think I'm really that stupid, it's only that I understand a lot of things intuitively, but I can't express them properly. I feel angry both because of my inability and because it seems to me that the other person uses unfair means to make me feel that way.
IMG%5D
IMG%5D
IMG%5D

IMG%5D
Reallypisces, you are not alone! I have prog. Mercury in Pisces and my words get mixed up all the time too. Actually, I don't talk as much as I used to because i have such a hard time getting my point across and i know most people wouldn't understand and think i'm really stupid-it's happened before.
Sometimes I will forget how to spell things and I will forget things that I know very well. It's like the information is there but it's just floating around doing it's own thing! Don't worry,you know what's going on and that is all that matters. I have already accepted the fact that people will think I am stupid and that's fine because I know what I am about. I hope this makes you feel better;) 4LC

amzolt

freedomlover said:
I have alot of the issues in this thread....

I have one issue with the thread: too much negativity.

Why should Mercury in Pisces mean confusion? Why should an aspect to Neptune mean confusion? Why only confusion, even if the native feels confused. Do we use only negatives in astrology and, when a person exhibits the negative trait, use that to "prove" astrology?

Why not use positives? Why not meet the negative use of functions, energies, and activities with positive meanings--actually help the person evolve rather than just "vindicate" their negativity?

Here are four meanings for Mercury:
Perceiving
Conceptualizing
Investigating
Increasing Awareness of

And four meanings for Pisces:
Sympathetic Awareness
Compassionate Understanding
Universal Feeling
Visionary Initiative

Those are from my book and the way I use them is to mate a meaning from the planet with a meaning from the sign {one example would be: Investigating Sympathetic Awareness}, so there are 16 meanings for Mercury in Pisces that are positive...

I, by the way, have Mercury in Pisces in the VIII, separating-trine Mars in Cancer in the XII, and semi-square Venus in Taurus at the Midheaven.

Here's my chart...

Last edited:

aries86

Amzolt,

thank you for that! i too have mercury in pisces and for a long time i thought that was such a bad placement- people wouldnt really understand me, look at me like i had 5 heads... haha this is prob due to many things, not just mercury. i have over time come to the realization that it is one of my favorite placements! i wouldnt change it for anything. i love to write and i think one good thing about having merc in pisces is that it makes for some beautiful profound writers. not everything needs to be clean clear and perfect to be beautiful

amzolt

aries86 said:
i think one good thing about having merc in pisces is that it makes for some beautiful profound writers. not everything needs to be clean clear and perfect to be beautiful

I would love to have you visit my blog (see the signature) and leave some Mercury in Pisces comments!

gamzatti

Glad to seeI'm not alone with this problem of mercury in pisces have always thought my verbal opinions not well expressed.However the written word comes easly and the pen runs away with me.I think I was born with a pen in my hand.Mercury in my chart is unaspected,although neeptune is in 9th house opp Mars.I can sometimes be a little fortright with opinions,and do think I'm usually right well mercury in pisces do tend to just know things don't we? I cannot really throw much light on this as I'm a greenhorn myself.

aries86

Hey Amzolt

i checked out your blog - really great stuff! there is alot there , lots of stuff to read! i would definately say that your mercury is just fine.

as for all the others here, i would look at your aspects to mercury - perhaps that could help explain some of the difficulties. I for one have pretty much all hard aspects - square mars, square uranus, square MC, opposite ascendent - in pisces and retrograde at my time of birth..i still do obviously have some trouble communicating but i dont seem to have as much of a problem as i used to when i was younger.. so perhaps things will turn around for you guys. Or perhaps i am just in denial hahaha!