Astrology in the Bible

Arian Maverick

I would like to explore several verses the lecturer presented in this video--John 14:2, Job 38:33, Job 38:31, Matthew 14:17, Luke 22:10, Matthew 28:20, Matthew 12:32, Matthew 23:39, Matthew 24:3, and Mark 10:29-30. Although I do not have access to the same Bible from which these verses were originally taken, I believe my copy of The New American Bible is also a veritable source.

Please Note: I am only posting these readings for astrological discussion, and by no means do I wish to enforce ANY aspect of my faith upon ANYONE.

If you are uncomfortable discussing organized and patriarchal relgion on this forum, please inform me quietly and I will delete this message ;)

John 14: 1-5

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father's house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be. Where am going you know the way."

Job 39: 31-33

"Have you fitted a curb to the Pleiades, or loosened the bonds of Orion? Can you bring forth the Mazzaroth in their season, or guide the Bear with its train? Do you know the ordinances of the heavens; can you put into effect their plan on the earth?

Matthew 14: 13-21

When Jesus heard of it, he withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself. The crowds heard of this and followed him on foot from their towns. When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, and he cured their sick. When it was evening, the disciples approached him and said, "This is a deserted place and it is already late; dismiss the crowds so that they can go to the villages and buy food for themselves." [Jesus] said to them, "There is no need for them to go away; give them some food yourselves." But they said to him, "Five loaves and two fish are all we have here." Then he said, "Bring them here to me," and he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds. They all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up the fragments left over-twelve wicker baskets full. Those who ate were about five thousand men, not counting women and children.

Luke 22: 7-13

When the day of the feast of Unleavened Bread arrived, the day for sacrificing the Passover lamb, he sent out Peter and John, instructing them, "Go and make preparations for us to eat the Passover." They asked him, "Where do you want us to make the preparations?" And he answered them, "When you go into the city, a man will meet you carrying a jar of water. Follow him into the house that he enters and say to the master of the house, 'The teacher says to you, "Where is the guest room where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?" ' He will show you a large upper room that is furnished. Make the preparations there." Then they went off and found everything exactly as he had told them, and there they prepared the Passover.

Matthew 28: 16-20

The eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had ordered them. When they saw him, they worshiped, but they doubted. Then Jesus approached and said to them, "All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age."

Matthew 12: 29-32

Then they brought to him a demoniac who was blind and mute. He cured the mute person so that he could speak and see. All the crowd was astounded, and said, "Could this perhaps be the son of David?" But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, "This man drives out demons only by the power of Beelzebul, the prince of demons." But he knew what they were thinking and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be laid waste, and no town or house divided against itself will stand. And if Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself; how, then, will his kingdom stand? And if I drive out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your own people drive them out? Therefore they will be your judges. But if it is by the Spirit of God that I drive out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. How can anyone enter a strong man's house and steal his property, unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can plunder his house. Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. Therefore, I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Matthew 13: 36-43

Then, dismissing the crowds, he went into the house. His disciples approached him and said, "explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field." He said in reply, "He who sows good seed is the Son of Man, the field is the world, the good seed the children of the kingdom. The weeds are the children of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels. Just as weeds are collected and burned [up] with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears out to hear.

Matthew 24: 3-14

As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately and said, “Tell us, when will this happen, and what sign will there be of your coming, and of the end of the age?” Jesus said to them in reply, “See that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and they will deceive many. You will hear of wars and reports of wars; see that you are not alarmed, for these things must happen, but it will not yet be the end. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be famines and earthquakes from place to place. All these are the beginning of the labor pains. And they will hand you over to persecution, and they will kill you. You will be hated by all nations because of my name. And then many will be led into sin; they will betray and hate one another. Many false prophets will arise and deceive many; and because e of the increase of evildoing, the love of many will grow cold. But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the world as a witness to all nations, and then the end will come.

Mark 10: 23-31

Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!" The disciples were amazed at his words. So Jesus again said to them in reply, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to pass through [the] eye of [a] needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” They were exceedingly astonished and said among themselves, “Then who can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and said, “For human beings it is impossible, but not for God. All things are possible for God.” Peter began to say to him, “We have give up everything and followed you.” Jesus said, “Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come. But many that are first will be last, and [the] last will be first.”

Arian Maverick

pwadm

Staff member
Wow, thanks Beth for being so thoughtful and posting all those biblical verses.

If you are uncomfortable discussing organized and patriarchal relgion on this forum, please inform me quietly and I will delete this message.
This is the Bible we're talking about: it's a book, so reading it won't hurt anyone's feelings. Besides, from my point of view, discussing any religion is fine on this forum, as long as the main topic remains astrology.
I'm also looking forward to find out more about what the [SIZE=-1]Qur'an or other religious books say on astrology.
[/SIZE]

Arian Maverick

This is the Bible we're talking about: it's a book, so reading it won't hurt anyone's feelings. Besides, from my point of view, discussing any religion is fine on this forum, as long as the main topic remains astrology.

I figured likewise, but it is always a good idea to take extra precaution--especially since I seem to have a penchant for creating conflict.

The subject of astrological influences in the Bible has intrigued me for some time, especially the obvious correlation between the Twelve Disciples and the twelve signs of the zodiac. Indeed, the description of "some cutlass wielding Aries" on the thread Murder and Astrology reminded me greatly of the Disciple Peter, whose actions in the Garden of Gethsemane on the night of Judas' betrayal received the immortal words, "All who take the sword will perish by the sword."

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to locate a satisfactory article in my Favorite Places list...

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick

Here is an intriguing article I found:

The Story of Jesus is an Astrological Allegory for the Sun passing through the Zodiac each year

(From the 1907 book by Lyman E. Stowe
Stowe's Bible Astrology: The Bible Founded on Astrology (Kessinger Publishing), pp. 130-136)

Now the Sun is re-born every year on the 25th day of December; that is, the days begin to lengthen. It is the winter solstice. He is his own father. He is born in the stable between the constellations of the horse and goat, Sagittarius and Capricornus.

The Bible uses a day for a year. The Astrologer uses a day for a year.

Thirty years alter Christ’s birth he was baptized. Thirty days after the Sun is born he enters the sign Aquarius, the water-bearer (Baptismo). After his baptism Christ took his disciples from among the fishermen, and the Sun next enters the sign Pisces, the fishes. We observe Lent and eat fish one day of the week in honor of the Sun’s passage through the sign of the fishes.

Look at the cut again. Christ then became the good shepherd of the flock. The Sun enters the sign Aries, the lamb. He is yet young, the lamb or the young Sun God.

Christ then went out to the salvation of men. Let us see how the Sun God goes out to the salvation of men.

The ancients had consumed the products of the year before and were praying for their Sun God to come back and warm the earth, to bring forth vegetation, which all animal life required. He came, and now he must go forth to the salvation of man; fit the fields for plowing. The bull comes in here for his share of glory, and he is worshiped, because he represents agriculture. The fields are plowed and seed is sown for a late harvest. Look at the cut — the twins represent increase.

Christ spoke of the backsliders. Every year the Sun enters the sign Cancer. June 21st to July 22d, symbolized by the crab, which crawls backward, and all vegetation dries up and retreats back into the earth.

This is the summer solstice, or John the Baptist, born just six months before Christ, and ‘who says, John III-30,

“He must increase and I must decrease.”

Christ became the Lion of the twelve tribes of Judah. Every year the Sun enters the sign Leo, the lion, and becomes the Lion of the Twelve Signs of the Zodiac.

When? Why, the 22d of July to 23d of August, when the Sun is hottest; exerts most power, the “Lion.”

Let the reader look at the cut at each paragraph or description of each sign.

Our Christian friends sup to the vestal virgin. When? Every year when the Sun enters the sign Virgo, whose symbol is the Virgin, August 23d to September 23d. Now look at the cut and the central cross, on which the Sun is Crucified every year, and you will see the Sun has passed over the cross on which he is annually crucified, and, like Christ, has his cross on his back — i.e., passed over it.

Our Christian friends lay much stress upon the judgment day. Every year, on the 23d day of September, the Sun enters the sign Libra, symbolized by the balance. Every year after harvest the farmer balances up his books and pays his debts. But there the Sun God presents a parallel to the Son of God on the road to the crucifixion. The Sun begins to retreat, the days to grow shorter. The Sun, like Christ, is bearing his cross toward the crucifixion. Keep the eye on the cut. The Son of God was crucified between the two thieves. The Sun God is crucified between the two heavenly thieves. Scorpio and Sagittarius, October 23d to November 22d — November 22d to December 21st. There is a harvest somewhere every month in the year, except these two months, the heavenly thieves.

The Sun lost its power, retreated back where it is white and cold. But Sagittarius became the repentant thief, gives up, does not wait until January 1st, but gives up December 25th. And after the Sun comes out of hades, where he was for three days, while the days are of one length, he is re-born, the same as Christ. There are three days about the same length, the three days the Son of God was supposed to have descended into hades.

Is this not complete?
Have I left anything out?
What? You say No?
Yes, I have left out the betrayer.
Who was the betrayer?
Judas Iscariot was Christ’s betrayer.
But who was the Sun God’s betrayer?

The ancients had noticed, notwithstanding their prayers and sacrifices, every year the Sun deserted them and went back until, to them, he died, was finally resurrected. They could not believe their loved Sun God could willingly desert them, so they looked into the heavens to see why he went back.
In the tall, every year, they saw him retreat, apparently followed by a tremendous heavenly host, for there are more stars in the constellations Libra, Scorpio and Sagittarius than in any others, and it was these stars that seemed to be chasing and pressing the Sun back. They were led on by a bright and beautiful star the ancients had seen in the east, in early morning, in spring and summer months, just as we do now. By the tip of the earth he has apparently fallen to evening star, leading on the heavenly host. We call it Venus, the Goddess of Love. They called it “Lucifer, the light-bearer.”

So they cried, “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, Star of the Morning?” And so here you have the story of the war in heaven.

Arian Maverick

THE KISS OF BETRAYAL.

Let me here call attention to another phase of the story, though bearing more heavily in favor of the ideal than the real. I am compelled to give the Catholic Church a considerable credit here, for holding in form at least the sacredness of virtue which they hold to so strongly in the celibacy of the priesthood and sacredness of the marriage ties, if not in the immaculate conception. All of this was no doubt drawn from a parallel story in the heavens, originally by the sex worshippers.

Christ, the Son of God, was always talking out of doors, mostly in the summer time.

So do we look upon the sun, mostly in summer.

Christ had 12 disciples.

The sun has 12 disciples or 12 signs of the Zodiac.

Christ was betrayed by a kiss from Judas Iscariot.

The sun is betrayed by a kiss from Lucifer, the light bearer, we call Venus the Goddess of Love.

Christ was wont to go to the garden of Gethsemane, where he was finally pursued by the hosts, led on by Judas Iscariot.

Where this garden was situated no one knows.
The word Gethsemane means olives or oil press — says Potter;

The sun takes his course through the gardens at the summer months, pursued by the heavenly host of stars of Sagittarius, the sign of religion, and Scorpio and Libra, led on by Lucifer, the light bearer, or Venus.

As Judas betrayed Christ, so does Lucifer or Venus betray the sun in this way.

The sun is the life giver, yet stands alone in his virtue.

Knowing his time has come to be crucified, he offers the last supper of the harvest year, after which he offers a sop to the 12 signs or disciples; that is, in the fall as in the spring there is apparently a new lease of life, animal desires are strengthened as if for a temptation for self destruction. Old age forgets its weakness and wastes vital forces. The lower animals propagate their species; even the trees and flowers put forth new efforts. This is the sop the sun gives at the last supper.

Venus, the Goddess of Love, or Lucifer, as they called it, exerts the influences of passion on all nature, the kiss of betrayal, that is, the wages of sin is death. The old man loses his vitality, the lower animals bring forth their young to perish by the rigors of winter, the trees and flowers are caught by the early frosts; thus, “The wages of sin is death.” All the results of the betrayal by a kiss of passion, for which Lucifer, I. e., Venus, the Goddess of Love, is ashamed of.

We must remember that Judas betrayed the Master for 30 pieces of silver. Matthew xxvii:5 says:

“And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and went out and hanged himself.”

Here the writer evidently made a mistake. There was no parallel for his hanging himself, but a later writer seeing the error, astrologically says — Acts 1:18:

“Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.”
(See cut of cosmic man.)

We must remember that at the time Christ was betrayed it was in the garden at night time.

The silver moon is the ruler of the night, and the beautiful autumn nights are longer than the days, and there are 30 degrees in each sign. These 30 silver moon nights are the 30 pieces of silver Lucifer, Venus, betrayed the sun for. He had been the morning star, but now betrayed for the 30 pieces of silver night, but now cast them down in the potter’s field a graveyard of fall tragedies and disappears here, only to appear again as morning star in the spring, and we see nothing but the man with his bowels broke asunder, which covers Virgo, Libra and Scorpio to the secrets, and Lucifer disappears, to be born again in the springtime.

We must remember a piece of silver was of but 13 cents of our money or 30 pieces of but $3.90; a very small sum to get for the betrayal to death.

That is an evidence of an allegory.

Which is it, a sacred novel founded on astronomy, or is the story of the Son of God paralleled in the heavens as a testimony?

The truths supposed to be spoken by Christ stamp the character too grand and noble to be cast down. whichever way it is, and If I must err I will err on the side that bears the strongest testimony. If I accept it as an allegory I have but one side; if I accept it as a parallel I have a testimony.

Now which is it?

Is the Christian religion, with all other religions, together with Mythology and Free Masonry, based upon Astrology? Or is it a fact that the Sun and stars are enacting the story of the Christian religion every year? Is the fact about to be recognized that the observation of Sunday as a religious holiday originated with an Astrologer, and is a testimony that the whole work is Astrological?

(From the 1907 book by Lyman E. Stowe
Stowe's Bible Astrology: The Bible Founded on Astrology (Kessinger Publishing), pp. 204-210)

Arian Maverick

Elianah

Astrological references in the Old Testament

I didn't know if this thread's topic if it was only to discuss astrological references regarding the second coming of Jesus or if it was an open discussion on any astrological references in the Tanach (what Christrians call the Old Testament) and the Christian Bible.

If this is only in regards to the second coming of Jesus, I will not post anything here because I am not familar enough with Christian scriptures to make any intelligent points. If the topic is truly about "Astrology in the Bible," I can provide some thought on verses found within the Tanach.

Elianah

Arian Maverick

Let this thread morph into whatever it will; let the discussion take flight! My Pisces North Node is finally coming out to play! :D

In other words, ALL Holy Books are welcome here! ;)

Arian Maverick

pwadm

Staff member
Elianah said:
If the topic is truly about "Astrology in the Bible," I can provide some thought on verses found within the Tanach.
You're welcome to offer insight on any biblic book here.

Knowing that astrology was actually allowed by God or the founding fathers of our religions is actually quite comforting.

Arian Maverick said:
In other words, ALL Holy Books are welcome here
Yes, but in different threads. :p

johan

Great topic!

There are also clues about extraterrestial life in the Bible,an idea for a new thread?

Last edited:

Elianah

So as not to reinvent the wheel

Hi Everyone!

This is a post I wrote regarding some Biblical verses in the Tanach/Old Testament regarding astrology, soothsaying and divination. I noticed that the link will take you to the beginning of page 2 of Astrology vs. Christianity and one has to scroll down to post #15.

Is there a way to set up the post link to go directly to the post?

Anyway, this looks at Leviticus and the Chaldeans in the Book of Daniel.

Enjoy!

Elianah

Arian Maverick

I have just begun reading "the first publication of the Gospel of Judas in modern times" and thought this introduction may appeal to all astrology enthusiasts ;)

In this book, Jesus echoes the Platonic conviction that every person has his or her own star and that the fate of people is connected to their stars. Judas, Jesus says, also has his star. Near the conclusion of the text, just before Judas is transfigured and enlightened in a luminous cloud, Jesus asks Judas to look up at the heavens and see the stars and the display of light. There are many stars in the sky, but the star of Judas is special. As Jesus tells Judas, "The star that leads the way is your star."

Arian Maverick

nis

Hi
Do any one have "stowe's bible astrology" ebook
Please upload here or mail me"jannat00797@yahoo.com
Please help
Regard's
Nishant

chris

"There shall be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars." - Jesus Christ, Luke 21:25

This couldn't be a more direct reference to astrology.

Flowergirl

It's really funny to me how much reference there is to astrology, astrologers and numerology in the bible. Yet, I grew up in an overly religious family and culture and these things we're considered of the devil. :biggrin: Living in the age of illusion sure brings some humour and contradiction! :biggrin:

I'm sure 80% + of my family still believe so...

hazelrah

Hi All!
I'm so glad there's a place on here for this type of discussion. I hope noboby minds if I ask a question here instead of starting a whole new thread. My question is very much related to the thread topic.
Just wondering if anyone could provide astrological insights into a passage of scripture I've been puzzling over of late. I'm trying to get a mental picture of what the Rev. 12 woman would look like.(Rev. 12:4) Would being "clothed with the sun" indicate a Virgo sun? Also, in the chart I've been playing with I've put "the moon at her feet" by placing the moon in Pisces. I hope I'm not taking too many liberties with this passage . I'm looking at the nodes of the moon for this event, the head and tail of the dragon. It seems like the Bible is trying to tell us something here, I'm just not quite sure what it is! If anyone has looked into this, or would have time to do so, I'd appreciate your take on what's going on up there!

* With the subjects of Religion and Spirituality being as personal (and touchy) as they are, I'd like to let everyone know that I'm not here to shove anything down anyone's throat. I realize the world is full of many different belief systems,(probably as many belief systems as there are individuals) and fully respect your right to participate in any, ar none at all. I trust that I'll be treated with the same courtesy. I'm not here to cause strife or dischord, and do not wish to participate in heated debates of a religious nature. Thanks for reading. :)

ImNotThere9

Hi All!
I'm so glad there's a place on here for this type of discussion. I hope noboby minds if I ask a question here instead of starting a whole new thread. My question is very much related to the thread topic.
Just wondering if anyone could provide astrological insights into a passage of scripture I've been puzzling over of late. I'm trying to get a mental picture of what the Rev. 12 woman would look like.(Rev. 12:4) Would being "clothed with the sun" indicate a Virgo sun? Also, in the chart I've been playing with I've put "the moon at her feet" by placing the moon in Pisces. I hope I'm not taking too many liberties with this passage . I'm looking at the nodes of the moon for this event, the head and tail of the dragon. It seems like the Bible is trying to tell us something here, I'm just not quite sure what it is! If anyone has looked into this, or would have time to do so, I'd appreciate your take on what's going on up there!

This source imparts its own interpretation:

http://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Bible.show/sVerseID/30896/eVerseID/30896

Your reference continues, in my bible, like this:

'...And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born...'

My interpretation is as follows:

The dragon is later identified as Satan, who stalks this woman, madly bent on
causing her death. The universe conspires to keep her from him.
I would chance my arm to infer that her being clothed in the sun suggests
her Sun to be in the first house (self); the moon under her feet to suggest the
Moon at her nadir in its own house. On her head is a crown of twelve stars,
but a second wonder is quickly imparted, that of the dragon with seven
heads, ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. Her crown, it may
be, is a symbol of the chart itself, and it is on her head - in other words,
it bears consequence. Interesting still is that this dragon's tail 'drew the third
part of the stars of heaven', which is another allusion to the head (third house),
thus enforcing this beast, bent on bringing about her destruction, as a manifestation
of her own unfortunate psychological disposition. More suggestive still of the knotted,
ugly nature of this 'beast' is that, though he has seven heads, he merely has ten horns,
which recalls an image of a beast with disproportionate, unwieldy features.

Furthermore, Astrology is a tool of understanding. It is ultimately her own
quickening into consciousness, her effort to flee the assailant's
clutch after learning of its existence, that saves her from its destroying
influence.

Last edited:

hazelrah

Hi 9.
Thanks for your insights. You're right, my reference should have started at the beginning of the chapter. I wasn't thinking of Sun in the first house... that's probably right though. Your post gives me more to work with when thinking of this passage. Thanks.

Mark

The 12th chapter of Revelation is one that I've found quite interesting. If you'll read closely, the woman flees twice into the wilderness, to the place prepared by God to keep and nourish her.

12:4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
12:5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
12:6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

Then came the war in Heaven which cast out the beast. After that:

12:13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.
12:14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

Twice in this chapter the woman flees into the protection of the wilderness. The first time was for 1260 days. The second was for a "time, times, and half a time," which seems to echo Daniel's writings. This phrase is most commonly interpreted as being 3.5 "times," whatever those may be. What I noticed out of it is this fact:

1260 / 3.5 = 360

If I recall correctly, Issac Newton also noticed this and that is supposedly the reason that he used a 360 day "prophetic year" in his biblical calculations. This was also incorporated with the day-for-a-year practice. I have no idea how all of the imagery should be interpreted, but it seems obvious to me that this particular chapter has much to do with astrology.