Should I go back to school?

KosmicMind

Hello there,

I have a rather pressing horary question I’ve been trying to figure out. I’ve been seriously thinking about going back to school, and have been going back and forth over the subject for quite some time. I had recently, back in April, discovered a really amazing liberal arts college out in Arizona (I currently reside in California) that I found somewhat synchronously and on an interesting day astrologically…. it felt fated in a sense. I would have to move out there, so there would be some BIG changes for me, I’ve never moved very far from home before. The school is a rather prestigious institution, and they are quite selective in who they choose, although I don’t believe it’s as difficult as Harvard or Yale (even though they’re affiliated). After receiving their catalogue I felt a bit thwarted, or intimidated, by the fact that it was more challenging than I have perceived it too be on the website. So after some contemplation, I somewhat threw the idea to the wayside and focused on other alternatives for my future. As of lately, another series of synchronicities seem to be urging me once again to revive the idea. One day while hiking alone, I felt the need to ask this question, directing my question towards the Sun as he was making his way towards sunset in the seventh house.

With eyes closed, the sun beaming on my face, I asked, “Am I supposed to go to Prescott this coming spring? Will I be accepted should I apply? I plan on applying for the coming Spring term, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to start that soon, considering the fact I’ve been out of a job for a while and am unsure of how to handle the move financially. I feel that, if it’s meant to be, and once I get the wheels put in motion, things will fall into place. It’s always the way things seem to work out, at least from my limited 24 years of life experience. The reason I’m so focused on spring is because transit Jupiter conjoins my Ascendant at that time, and I had found the school at exactly around my second Jupiter return, and on the day Jupiter was trine my Sun…. so I feel it may be connected to Jupiter’s transit (or maybe not). I’ve been rather hesitant to apply, afraid of being rejected (I know I’m rather insecure, but I’m working on that). Anyway I’ve attached the chart, and I would really love any other insight or interpretation that anyone can contribute. Here’s my interpretation thus far. I have only one book on horary, and a rather ad hoc knowledge of the subject, but here’s the best I can do:

Pisces rising makes Venus in Virgo 7th house (almuten 0-8 degrees by day) my ruler. I’m a Pisces rising myself, so that seems to fit. Additionally Uranus is in the first, which also fits my rebelliously Promethean character traits. The Moon (my co-ruler) is in Gemini in the 4th house conjunct tightly the IC. This very much fits seeing as I have a natal 4th house Sun in Gemini. The only thing that doesn’t seem to fit is Venus in Virgo, seeing as I have ZERO emphasis of Virgo in my chart, how seriously do any of you take almutens’ anyway? The book I have places a major importance on them, so I feel I should stay true to the traditional rules of the art. I’m assuming the school would be the 9th house, considering its connection to higher education and long journey’s (it is far from where I currently reside). Almuten of the 9th is Mars in Cancer in the 5th house conjoined very tightly the South node. I read that any significator in the same degree of any sign as the nodal axis gives a kind of fated quality or destined feel to the situation…so I don’t know how significant the close conjunction to the south node is. However, both my ruler and the school are debilitated seeing as they’re in their fall. How should I go about interpreting this? Does it hinder the seemingly positive outcome between them? Venus (me) and Mars (the school) are making a sextile within 3 degrees and 26 minutes, which seems to be a positive outcome. I read somewhere that the amount of degrees between the rulers shows the amount of time for the final aspect to manifest, has this held true for anyone? And if so, does it represent days, weeks, months, or does it depend on the circumstance? The Moon’s final aspect is a Square to Mercury, which also rules the 4th end of the matter house. Does this also hinder the outcome? I feel I may be at odds in interpreting this chart myself, also with Saturn in the 7th. I read that Saturn in the 1st or 7th is a negative omen in horary, as it debilitates the astrologer, although in this case I’m not represented by the seventh. Perhaps it foreshadows the potential difficulty of the school and overall experience; there will be a lot on my plate I’ll have to deal with. I haven’t had too much stress in my life since I dropped out of the school I attended previously. Venus is applying to a conjunction to Saturn within 5 degrees as well, that doesn’t seem good either. Again, all this could also be suggesting the challenges that would lie ahead of me too.

Any additional tips or insight to help me out would be MUCH appreciated, as this is a very big decision for me. Thanks a lot. :biggrin:

CHART:
charti.jpg
-Chad

Niplan

Banned
The chart is a clear cut yes.
You are jupiter in the 12th he is in his own terms, And Trine to the moon, However the sun is acting as the collector, The light from jupiter in his own terms, while supported with an applying aspect from the moon, Since jupiter is retro with the aspect to the moon, it will happen quicker then you expect, or rather its a good indication with the aspect from the moon.

Now, Jupiter casting to the sun, Wich the sun is in jupiters terms, and then the sun trine to the moon. as well mars the ruler of the 9th is deposited by the moon, The antisica/CA of mars goes to sag, And gemini, making mars conjunct the moon, and also deposited by jupiter in Sag, wich is intercepted in the 9th/10th

KosmicMind

Thanks a lot Niplan,

It's good to have a confirmation. Having Jupiter as my ruler makes a lot more sense, since it more accurately describes my characteristics as well. So I would assume that Alumutens' are more like secondary indicators to the traditional rulerships....I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere in the forum, so I'll have to look through the posts. Everything you mentioned makes sense, except I seem to be confused on this last part....

"The antisica/CA of mars goes to sag, And gemini, making mars conjunct the moon, and also deposited by jupiter in Sag, wich is intercepted in the 9th/10th"

Is the antisica the same as antiscion? How does this connect to Sagittarius?

Thanks again for your response. Much appreciated! :biggrin:

KosmicMind

Hmm, well perhaps I was being a bit too idealistic than, lol. Thanks for your take on it Olivia. I have to say you corroborated my doubts completely....I've been so torn with this, as everything I've used to read into it has been so contradicting. I intended for this chart the be a kind of final say on whether I should pursue this or not.

I see what you mean about not mixing the horary and natal charts together, but I guess I just thought that the ruler of the querent should "fit" the nature or character of the individual....which Jupiter 12th house Aquarius certainly does for me.

The school (I'm assuming this is not for a professional/vocational course) is house 9, which is ruled by Mars. Mars is in fall in Cancer (bad), conjunct the South Node - which means that you will lose from this proposition. Since Mars also rules house 2, your money, pursuing this could lead to significant financial loss.

You're right, it isn't a vocational or trade course, it's a liberal arts college.....which also puts a damper on things....as far as the job market is concerned. With the state of the economy, the way that it is, I've had some serious doubts about obtaining a liberal arts degree, even though I would be studying something I'm passionate about....we don't really live in the same world anymore. I don't think that things are going to get any better economically, and I've had this hunch that it would be terribly unwise to get a degree in the arts right now, because in the end you have to pay it all back....with a job that most likely won't exist. Unfortunately, the bottom line runs it all, its lame, but it's the "reality" we have to contend with. So I think you're quite right about a financial loss, as the school is quite expensive indeed......that's actually been the biggest concern for me with this. It's so hard making this kind of decision these days....everything is so uncertain :sad:

Hmmm, well then, it's back to the drawing board I suppose. Thanks again for your insight and honesty Olivia!

kanshu

Hmm. I was right. Based on your question, I tried guessing where your natal Saturn is located and true enough, it's in the 9th house of higher education.

Speaking like a borg, all I can say is "Resistance is futile." Whether you like it or not, wherever you find Saturn, that is where you need to do some serious studying/learning. In this case, you need to learn about getting an education.

(Of course, the 9th house is also about long-distance travel. So, you can also be a flight attendant or pilot or seaman. I know somebody with a 9th house Saturn who did.)

By the way, I just glanced over your chart. This is just my first impression.

Last edited:

KosmicMind

Speaking like a borg, all I can say is "Resistance is futile." Whether you like it or not, wherever you find Saturn, that is where you need to do some serious studying/learning. In this case, you need to learn about getting an education.

Hey Kanshu, thanks for your input. I've always been rather torn (I'm torn about everything...Gemini haha) about the whole formal higher education situation as it plays out in my chart. Saturn is indeed in my 9th house, but also consider that the 9th house symbolizes not only higher education, but ironically, it rules unformal forms of education...such as self taught disciplines. I have a yod, the "finger of god", with the Sun sextile the Moon pointing directly at Saturn (you think that's a statement or what). I also have my north node in Taurus in the 3rd house. It seems several astrologers put "formal" education under the rulership of the Gemini/Third house archetype, and self-education under the 9th house/Sagittarius rulership. And yet, the 9th house rules "higher education".....that's a lot of scattered directions to go into, haha. So I've been confused about this, especially because that axis is such an emphasis in my chart. So I figure that I'm already good at self study and education, since I've taught myself pretty much everything I know so far, for the most part. But then, there's this feeling of incompleteness when I soley pursue that direction, like I'm limited somehow. It's difficult because I don't fit very well into the traditional educational system, I learn more on my own and get bored with it all. I dropped out of school thinking I was going to become this self taught scholar of some kind, lol, and now that I've lived a little more I'm realizing that dosen't put food on the table haha. So perhaps you're right....resistance is futile. :pinched:

KosmicMind

I agree that the system as it is now is beyond ******* - it's absolutely horrible.

Saturn's going into Libra (its exaltation) in about a week, and Jupiter will be in Pisces (its rulership) next year, so things might start looking up in general - Jupiter's in fall in Cap, and not tremendously happy in Aquarius and we've had this going on for a couple of years now - so things really ought to brighten up. Venus is already out of Virgo and into its rulership in Libra, and Mars is out of Cancer, so that's lifting some of the general weight of the world, too.

Interesting take on that, though I disagree a bit. Saturn is indeed exalted in Libra....but it's also apart of this Cardinal climax that's building....Saturn opposite Uranus and Square Pluto in Capricorn--all sitting very nicely on the cardinal/Aries points. The T-square is, needless to say, a rather powerful, "Hello there", astrological omen....we are, the world, going to cross a threshold of some kind....a major transition that will alter world power (Pluto in Capricorn). The problems with the economy largely proceeded Pluto's entry into Capricorn and its teetering on the Aries/Cardinal point. Additionally, and I hate to be doom and gloomy, but if you study the real workings of the federal reserve/economic system, there's absolutely no way for things to just get better. In fact, it was bad at the start, but it's only getting worse. With each bail-out and "stimulus package" the government rolls out, it grossly increases inflation--which as a result, exponentially raises the cost of living. "Making a living", these days, isn't what it used to be--it's incredibly more difficult and more expensive. I'd like to think that things will clear up and be sunny, but we are living on an unsustainable economic system. What we're seeing now isn't just a bump in the road, it's a sign that the system, as is, is failing. There's only so much credit you can accumulate, and only so much money you pull out of thin air until it all comes crumbling down. So I hate to say it, but we haven't seen anything yet. When things "seem" to be getting better, it's tantamount to putting the whole thing on life support. But eventually--someone has to pull the plug.

Jupiter rx in Aquarius in 12 would indicate to me that you feel somewhat trapped in your current situation.

Any chance of taking some night courses at a communit college or adult ed for some liberal arts education? I know it's not the same, but it's something, and you'd meet other people who had some of your same interests, too - without breaking the bank.

I do, definitely-feel trapped. It's complicated, so I won't bore you with the details. To sum it up, I've been coming out of a very difficult period in my life, dealing with clinical depression/mental problems, that have been very debilitating and painful to go through. I've gotten a grasp of it now, and have been doing a lot better (I've studied holistic/natural modalities and have treated myself with it). Anyway, with that aside, I've thought over the situation, and realized that I need to go to school....or something because if I get trapped in a job, I become miserable. I have much higher aspirations for myself, but it's difficult figuring that out, and I don't fit into the whole traditional educational model. Unfortunately, the alternatives, are beyond expensive....and unfortunately still....money makes the world go round.

I know a lot of people say to just follow your heart and go with where it takes you, but it's hard to just ignore the financial end, especially when the future looks so grim. I've never been one to be very practical, and after studying my chart I've learned that in this life....it's absolutely essential. I've procrastinated this issue long enough, and very soon I need to make a decision. I've thought about community college, but the idea just sounds dreadful....but perhaps I've raised the bar too high for myself. Also I have about 2 years of college under my belt. Before dropping out, I went to a private design school, which was accredited, and as a result I have college credits that are transferable. Unfortunately, community colleges and state colleges don't accept transfer credits from "private" institutions....which means I'd have to throw them away and start over....at least that's what I was told a few years ago. So in order to transfer these credits, I'd have to go to another private institute....which is again....quite expensive. Lol....it's a crazy loop, I know. Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it has to be haha....but at least I have a sense of humor.:biggrin:

Last edited: