What's more opposite? Yin and Yang? Or opposite signs?

soratothamax

Do you all think that masculine energy and feminine energies seem more opposite than opposite signs? Or vise versa? Even though the nature of opposite signs go about things differently, some signs have certain similarities. For instance, Scorpio and Taurus even though one is more passionate, and one is more sensual, both are fixed and both are quiet, and introverted, even though one is wet and one is dry, one is practical and the other is far more abstract, one is more open and the other is mysterious, they don't seem nearly as different as their extroverted counterparts like Gemini which is flighty, extroverted, friendly in any Sun and Moon and Asc placement. any placement really.

Gemini and Taurus have very little in common. One is logical and one is practical. I would say that Taurus and Aquarius is very opposite, Taurus hates change of any kind, whereas the only thing constant for an Aquarius is change. Even though both are fixed, where they are fixed is very different. Scorpio and Taurus are both very introspective, they also are shy, or withdrawn you might say. Only Taurus is more open. And Scorpio is transformative and changes, but it still is really similar to Taurus in a lot of ways

Extroverted signs are far more open than both Taurus and Scorpio combined. Extrovered signs are more changeable than they are, and they are much brighter and lighter (me being a Taurus myself, I admit I'm sometimes a party pooper because of my practical catious)

Last edited:

dr. farr

No, the principles of Yang and Yin are more "intensely" opposite than opposite signs of the zodica are; however, remember that in the symbols of Yang and Yin, a little bit of Yin is pictured within Yang, and a little bit of Yang is pictured within Yin...

soratothamax

So why are the feminine signs, like Cancer and Capricorn and Taurus and Scorpio considered opposite, if the yin and yang are intensely opposite? Or what is meant by intensely opposite?

Do you all think that masculine energy and feminine energies seem more opposite than opposite signs? Or vise versa? Even though the nature of opposite signs go about things differently, some signs have certain similarities. For instance, Scorpio and Taurus even though one is more passionate, and one is more sensual, both are fixed and both are quiet, and introverted,[All depends WHERE the planets are posited] even though one is wet and one is dry, one is practical and the other is far more abstract, one is more open and the other is mysterious, they don't seem nearly as different as their extroverted counterparts like Gemini which is flighty, extroverted, friendly in any Sun and Moon and Asc placement. any placement really.

Gemini and Taurus have very little in common. One is logical and one is practical. I would say that Taurus and Aquarius is very opposite, Taurus hates change of any kind, whereas the only thing constant for an Aquarius is change. Even though both are fixed, where they are fixed is very different. Scorpio and Taurus are both very introspective they also are shy, or withdrawn,[says who?] you might say. Only Taurus is more open. And Scorpio is transformative and changes, but it still is really similar to Taurus in a lot of ways
[ scorpio along with cappi to me are the too least sociable signs, cappi as it's a workaholic and tight with it's money and scorpio because it doesn't want others knowing its business]
Extroverted signs are far more open than both Taurus and Scorpio combined. Extrovered signs are more changeable than they are, and they are much brighter and lighter (me being a Taurus myself, I admit I'm sometimes a party pooper because of my practical catious)

Now I have a stellium in taurus ie: 3planets all conjunct and I'm not introverted, with Aquarius Asc can talk anyone to death about all sorts of subjects....

You should realise by now that you are NOT the sum total of your Sun sign energies. There are ten planets in a natal chart and they can be in any one of 12 houses. So there's 144 combinations for just sun alone.....
:biggrin:

MSO

Signs opposing each other are different in the way they handle things only. They both represent the same thing.

For example, the two cardinal signs Aries and Libra. Both are leaders, but how they handle things are opposite of the other. Aries runs in head first, without weighing consequences. Libra likes to sit back, weight the consequences, and go after understanding the circumstances.

They both achieve what they set out for, and they both have to deal with the same consequences, they're just usually flavored differently; an Aries may have a hard time fixing the things it broke when it rushed in like a maniac, and a Libra may have a hard time trying to make sure nothing gets broken in the first place. But in the end, they both work on the same principles.

As for Taurus and Scorpio, they like to protect their families and they both operate in a similar matter, just opposite approaches. Scorpios take the secretive, "everyone is out to get me" approach and brood in silence while they figure out how to best their enemies. Taurus prefers to just sit back and accumulate wealth, build a nice home for their family, and go nice and slow so as not to misstep.

In a way, you can say the opposing affinities are indeed truly opposite. But the way I see it, there are different oppositions.

Cancer/Capricorn oppose Leo/Aquarius.
Taurus/Scorpio oppose Aries/Libra.
Virgo/Pisces oppose Gemini/Sagittarius.

The reason for those is pretty complex. But it comes down to three principles; the self, the family, the society. This is based on the basic archetypes, of course. We all know self-oriented Gemini and family-oriented Capricorns. But at the purest level, I see it like this.

Rebel Uranian

Signs are pretty meaningless. The main meaningful thing is the dignity and prominence of planets. The axes signs are on do stand for concepts, no matter how minor the influence of the signs and axes themselves as opposed to planets, houses, aspects, etc. are, and the signs on the axes stand for opposite approaches to the same thing/idea.

Cancer/Capricorn - Nurturing/Restraint (or Mothering/Fathering is better?)

Leo/Aquarius - Individualism/Collectivism

Virgo/Pisces - Criticism/Mysticism (Picking all things apart/Merging all things together, or Accepting nothing/Accepting everything)

Libra/Aries - Negotiating/Uncompromising (or Strategy/Tactics is better?)

Scorpio/Taurus - Letting go/Holding on (or Death/Youth, or Being possessed/Possessing is better?)

Sagittarius/Gemini - The scheme of things/The details of things

That being said, I don't think there are any fundamentally incompatible signs, especially as we constantly change what we think the signs mean as cultural values change.

Last edited:

soratothamax

Now I have a stellium in taurus ie: 3planets all conjunct and I'm not introverted, with Aquarius Asc can talk anyone to death about all sorts of subjects....

You should realise by now that you are NOT the sum total of your Sun sign energies. There are ten planets in a natal chart and they can be in any one of 12 houses. So there's 144 combinations for just sun alone.....
:biggrin:

You have a major point.

i can always tell when someone has Taurus in their charts somewhere though. They seem stubborn and stuck, and a little more concerned about their "looks" or how they look to others. They care about their reputation a bit. I would say that Sun sign Taurus' impress me similarly to Scorpios EVEN MORESO than the extroverted signs, no matter where. Your Aquarius Asc seemed to mean the difference. If you had an introverted Asc (like I do, Scorpio) I think you would be far more introverted.

Then again I have a Taurus Sun and a Scorpio Moon, so I have complications knowing the difference between the two in my own personality. I relate to Scorpio which is natural.

dr. farr

1) I consider signs to be highly meaningful, as the matrix or "houses" in which the planets live

2) let us not confuse polarity with geometry:
a) the reason that 2 yin signs are in opposition is based on their POSITION in the circle of 12 signs-they are geometrically opposite each other, NOT opposite in polarity
b) in the zodiacal circle, geometric sign opposites are always of the same polarity: compare magnets: two north poles oppose each other, two south poles do the same (ie, same polarity repels same polarity), hence the opposition of same polarity in the geometric circle of 12 signs
c) in the zodiacal circle, polarity joins one (yang) to the next (yin) via contiguous signs: sign1 is positive (yang), sign 2 is negative (yin) and so on around the zodiacal chain.

You have a major point.

i can always tell when someone has Taurus in their charts somewhere though. They seem stubborn and stuck, and a little more concerned about their "looks" or how they look to others.[poss tauraus Asc but not Aquarius] They care about their reputation a bit. I would say that Sun sign Taurus' impress me similarly to Scorpios EVEN MORESO than the extroverted signs, no matter where. Your Aquarius Asc seemed to mean the difference. If you had an introverted Asc (like I do, Scorpio) I think you would be far more introverted.

Then again I have a Taurus Sun and a Scorpio Moon,[were your parents opposites?] so I have complications knowing the difference between the two in my own personality. I relate to Scorpio which is natural.
Three most important things in a natal chart are sun,moon and Asc

sun/moon combinations
http://www.astrology-numerology.com/sun-moon.html
http://www.strangehouse.com/sun-moon-sign-combinations/5.html

soratothamax

1) I consider signs to be highly meaningful, as the matrix or "houses" in which the planets live

2) let us not confuse polarity with geometry:
a) the reason that 2 yin signs are in opposition is based on their POSITION in the circle of 12 signs-they are geometrically opposite each other, NOT opposite in polarity
b) in the zodiacal circle, geometric sign opposites are always of the same polarity: compare magnets: two north poles oppose each other, two south poles do the same (ie, same polarity repels same polarity), hence the opposition of same polarity in the geometric circle of 12 signs
c) in the zodiacal circle, polarity joins one (yang) to the next (yin) via contiguous signs: sign1 is positive (yang), sign 2 is negative (yin) and so on around the zodiacal chain.

That's so very true. It is geometric.

Polarities are truly in totally different poles. I would say that it seems polarities are TRUE opposite extremes.

Rebel Uranian

Signs are incredibly meaningful as part of a matrix. The signs individually are not very meaningful. Saying someone is "a Virgo person" or "an Aquarius person" or "a Scorpio person" does not say much about their character at all. The Aquarius could be a pessimist, Virgo could be a daydreamer and the Scorpio emotionally detached. This includes cases where the sign rulers are in their own signs. Basically, popular notions of sign meanings are meaningless.