The Saturn transit effect: does retro. differ from direct?

ethertwist

I'm in the middle of a Saturn square natal Venus transit (wow, has this been tough!). So far, it's made its initial direct pass this past fall (and a relationship I was in promptly hit the skids :sad:) and it will make another in April as it retrogrades back over my natal Venus degree before the final direct pass in August. I was wondering if there is a school of thought in regards to how Saturn transits manifest and how each pass of an extended transit differs from the other (i.e., direct vs. retro vs. final direct). Are any considered more critical or challenging than the others?

Any insight or personal experiences would be much appreciated...
:smile:

Madammaha

There are several interpretations in that area, it all depends on the chart as a whole, Saturns' position and aspects to it. I wonder with your natal Venus sextile Saturn, what was Saturn trying to teach you, did you stop and really consider this. Saturn is a great teacher.

Lin

Any time Saturn is within the aspect (applying, up to 7 degrees, separating about 3 degrees) it is active.(I'm talking about the square or other major aspects). If Saturn (or any heavy planets) will be returning to the exact aspect in it's retrograde or direct motion, it is considered square the entire time.
The difference between, let's say, the first pass and the last pass would be the OTHER planets aspecting both Saturn and the planet Saturn is squaring (in this case Venus) during each pass.
So if on the first pass Mars, let's say, is also negatively aspecting the Venus and on the last pass Mars is positively aspecing the Venus, etc, it will modifiy the square.
Also, you would want to see the transits in the chart of the other person...and how the transits change between the first and last passes in the composite chart.
LIN

Lovebug

I agree with everyone else it really depends on your chart. If saturn is direct natally and the transit is retrograde then the transit could be more difficult same if saturn was retrograde natally and the transit was direct. it would be kind of of like your in conflict because you aren't used to saturn stuctured that way. Though in terms of lessons I'm not sure there are any major differences. For example saturn direct in the tenth and saturn retrograde in the tenth. I would say same issues or lesson but maybe a different perspective is to be learned. In direct you may try to build your self so you feel equal to others or feel number one. Retrograde you may just want to be good enough for yourself and focus on self-satisfaction.

Last edited:

ethertwist

So much wonderful food for thought, I can't thank you all enough for contributing and sharing your ideas and thoughts about this!

I wrote a long reply in response to what you each said, but somehow I got logged out and my post wasn't saved when I went to submit my reply. :crying:

Last edited:

Lin

Remember that Saturn is the 'tester'. If a relationship breaks up at the very beginning of a square from Saturn, then the relationship was weak. Whether is was weak from the two being incompatible, or weakened by previous transits, I don't know. But it's something that should be figured out by the person asking.
And it may be that one person has no previous negative transits (within the timeframe of the relationship) but the OTHER person might have had them....you need to know.
LIN

ethertwist

In my now phantom reply, I mentioned that the person I was involved with is in the thick of many tricky and challenging transits themself, so it's really was a perfect storm for the initial breakdown that coincided with the Saturn squre Venus transit in my own chart (Saturn was exactly conjunct his Moon at the time and Pluto is conjunct his Asc). Saturn certainly does have a way of exposing the cracks and weakness in the foundation of whatever it touches. I'm just hoping for a breakthrough and a resolution, which has yet to happen. We're talking again after not having any communication for two months, but it's still a stalemate and progressing very slowly (how very Saturn!)

Madammaha

By focusing on the Venus square Saturn, you did not mention that Saturn was and is conjuncting Pluto, trining Mars, sextiling the conjunction Mercury Jupiter, and sextiling Neptune. This is what I meant by it depends on the whole chart, the focus on the square, and the direct and retro. effect shows that you are missing the whole point of this transit.

ethertwist

By focusing on the Venus square Saturn, you did not mention that Saturn was and is conjuncting Pluto, trining Mars, sextiling the conjunction Mercury Jupiter, and sextiling Neptune. This is what I meant by it depends on the whole chart, the focus on the square, and the direct and retro. effect shows that you are missing the whole point of this transit.

I suppose I am a bit hung up on the Saturn square. :sideways: I definitely think there's a matrix of activity and I certainly don't wish to underplay any of the other aspects (especially the Saturn conjunction to my natal Pluto). Since I have a locomotive pattern in my chart with so many planets in the middle degrees/decanates, it's sometimes tricky to really synthesize what energies are predominant at a given time. Perhaps I'm just too close and too subjective to really get the point. I will say that my with my natal Saturn in the 2nd house and natal Venus in the 12th, this current situation is bringing up issues of self-worth, sacrifice, and emotional inequities in my relationships.

Madammaha

The conjunction Saturn Pluto is in your favor not against you, although the trials you are going through say different, in your case this conjunction is there to make you evolve and materialize mentally and spiritually, to make you exteriorize and open to higher levels of consciousness and understanding of yourself and your society. So many things you can understand and participate in that will add to you if you keep an open mind, you joined us here and this is a step that will help you. May be you should investigate the easy aspects to make the most out of this transit, my best wishes.

sam7sara2011

I am going through such a period. When saturn is retrograde it means that the ill effects of saturn are put on hold. If you like the brakes are applied to this planet. Neither good or bad happens during this period. It is a neutral period. But it is good to have a break from the ill effects of saturn.

Lin

To answer the post above, I say that the retrograde is supposed to be a time to WORK on the issue, not just have a cessation of the problems. If you don't work on the issue, the last pass of the square will not be satisfying.
LIN

sam7sara2011

To answer the post above, I say that the retrograde is supposed to be a time to WORK on the issue, not just have a cessation of the problems. If you don't work on the issue, the last pass of the square will not be satisfying.
LIN

Dear Lin,

Thank you for your advice. I don't feel so helpless now. I will utilize the saturn retrograde periods well from now on.

Regards,

Cindy (Sam7sara2011)

Lin

One small warning, Cindy: Saturn works best when you use it to work on yourself and not try to work on others. You can't change others. So you need to think of working on all the ways you can live more consciously and face the facts of not having a lot of control on others. It's best to meditate on this part of the time that Saturn is retrograde.
and yes, "utilize" is a good Saturnian word!
LIN

ethertwist

Madammaha: Thank you so much for your well wishes and for putting things in proper perspective. I don't believe in flukes, so I definitely think me joining this forum and starting this thread is significant, especially seeing all the fruitful discussion it's generated thus far and will hopefully continue to generate for others all for the sake of learning. I will definitely look to the easy aspects of Saturn to uncover various approaches to mitigate the more uncomfortable aspects.

Hi Ethertwist,

Since everybody is commenting on this, I decided to take a look and add my thoughts. I’d say we are talking about three groupings of planets that to some extent overlap.

The first grouping: Chiron, Venus, Jupiter, Mercury and Mars – all fall within a two-degree orb. This is a significant structure.

The second grouping constists of Pluto and Uranus.

The third grouping, if you can call it that, consists of Neptune – which does aspect the second grouping. This division will make more sense in a moment...

(I work with three-degree orbs only, and I put far less importance on signs than most astrologers – and even less on houses. I work with aspects.)

Let’s start with the first grouping and Saturn’s transit against it: In November of 2010, Saturn came in to form a quincunx against Chiron and a square against Venus.
Your natal Chiron to Venus sextile is very tight, adding importance. It’s a great aspect to have, and one that has bearing on committed (and karmic) relationships, as well as other stuff.
When Saturn makes a ‘clash’ aspect to both of those (Magi Astrology term; when Saturn is involved, the quincunx is a clash, otherwise it’s a positive aspect.)
This transit could have been felt from the middle of October.

After passing this critical point at November 20 or so, Saturn then catches the rest of the planets in the first grouping. However, these transits are not ‘clashes’ - they are sextiles and a trine to Mars – so the comment that you could ‘work’ on whatever it is certainly has bearing on the situation. While Saturn transits to personal planets (and to Jupiter) is not about smelly roses, these transits are ‘not too bad.’

Saturn then carries on, and just manages to ‘snag’ the second grouping during January and February this year. Now, in my book Saturn only has three possible meanings – anything else is a derivative of those: tragedy, control and science.

The ‘good things’ with the transits to the second grouping are: Saturn to Uranus is the least disruptive Saturn transit: it can be quite constructive; and, Saturn conjunct Pluto has a bit of a ‘Magician’ flavour – taking control of power (and other Pluto symbolisms.)

So that adds to the ‘work and transformation’ feeling of what’s happening.

Just after having gone retro during January, Saturn then heads back to the first grouping, transiting it during March and April. Note that Saturn did not transit Neptune, which is why I call Neptune a ‘grouping’ in this case.

During this second pass of the first grouping, Jupiter also comes rocketing through the structure: this is of help.

Okay, now I will have to correct myself, by adding another group, which I will call group Zero. The node and Saturn around 10 degrees – which was first transited in October of 2010: this adds to the karmic and ‘work’ flavour...
This group Zero is then transited again (Saturn, at least) in June.
Saturn creates another ‘snag’ – and these types of transits, where a planet tightly ‘loops’ a position are highly significant. In this case, taking control of tragedy through science, would be one possible interp.

After going direct in June, Saturn then continues forward, aspecting the first grouping during August; the second and third groupings during September.

You get a bit of a rest during parts of October, and then you’ll have your first Saturn square Sun transit in November, second in May and third in August of 2012.
But now you got some practise under your belt – and as the Sun is unaspected in the longitudes, at least (you have Mars and Neptune aspecting the Sun in the deks, just like me) it could well be ‘easier’.

Cheers,
Sven

Sven: I'm so unbelievably grateful to you for taking the time to delineate things for me in such great depth. I never expected that and I truly appreciate i! You've nailed my "groupings" without even having seen my chart! It's very interesting that you identify November 20 as a critical point. My current situation devolved rapidly over the weekend of of November 12-14. Very close to that critical date you highlighted. I'm really curious how you define the "science" outcome of a Saturn transit? It makes me think of Tarot and the Thoth deck 6 of Swords (the Lord of Science), which is all about healing and recovery.

In the Zero grouping, you mentioned my natal node and Saturn at 9 & 10 degrees Virgo. What aspect did Saturn make to those in October and will be making again in June? I'm not as well versed on the minor aspects, aside from the quincunx, which I've studied a bit of.

Strangely enough, I'm not as nervous about the upcoming Saturn-Sun activity. I feel in some strange way those energies may be less confusing and challenging for me this time around having really mined the depths of it when Saturn conjuncted my Sun and my ascendant shortly thereafter about six or seven years ago (and I made it through my Saturn Return in '08 just fine!), but it's always a wild card I suppose. I am kind of pleased to have it be crossing my IC and leaving behind the period of "obscurity" it's sometimes referred to as when Saturn transits the 1-3 houses in a chart.

One upcoming time period I'm especially curious about is the Aries new Moon on April 3, 2011. The Sun and Moon will be at 13 Aries opposite Saturn at 13 Libra, which will be forming an exact T-square to my natal Venus at 13 Cancer. I can't help but think that early April will see some critical activity given the overwhelming predominance of planets in Aries and this very pointed new moon that seems to be drawing my attention right to my natal Venus.

I never intended this thread to become a "read my chart" sort of thing, but I figure I'll go ahead and post my chart since it's been pretty well outlined so far! :lol:

Thank you again everyone for all the amazing contributions!!!

Attachments

• myastrochart.jpg
    myastrochart.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

ethertwist

Apects to Node and Saturn were semi-sextiles...

Just as well I was not eating my morning porridge when reading your comment that quincunx is a minor aspect - I would have spilled the plate :biggrin:

There are a few other things I'd like to mention about your chart - so will send a PM.

S

Oh no, I'm sorry for my astro faux pas! I still need to delve further into studying the quincunx because it's becoming more and more clear to me that's it's anything but minor.:tongue:

kainous

When I was having my Saturn return, the worst part of it was actually when it was in retrograde, coming back through my Ascendant/Saturn conjunction. It pretty much destroyed the person that I was. On the way back through, it built me back up.

ethertwist

Sven: I adore that space shuttle analogy. I like the idea of "inviting Saturn in" by giving him a specific area to concentrate on and a set of goals to accomplish. In the absence of it, therein lies the chaos and the tragedy as you so elequently described. Our goal then is to identify how we want to work with Saturn so we don't work against those energies to our disadvantage.

I love the classic tarot imagery of the six of swords as being about transition and navigating rough waters to get to better horizons. I think that Nietzsche quote couldn't be a more apt descrption of that card or of the Saturn process. Thank you for that!

When I was having my Saturn return, the worst part of it was actually when it was in retrograde, coming back through my Ascendant/Saturn conjunction. It pretty much destroyed the person that I was. On the way back through, it built me back up.

That was my experience as well when Saturn crossed my ASC. I didn't really notice it during the first pass, but I became unglued during the retrograde pass and I definitely restructured my Self by the time of the third and final hit.

Claire19

I'm in the middle of a Saturn square natal Venus transit (wow, has this been tough!). So far, it's made its initial direct pass this past fall (and a relationship I was in promptly hit the skids :sad:) and it will make another in April as it retrogrades back over my natal Venus degree before the final direct pass in August. I was wondering if there is a school of thought in regards to how Saturn transits manifest and how each pass of an extended transit differs from the other (i.e., direct vs. retro vs. final direct). Are any considered more critical or challenging than the others?

Any insight or personal experiences would be much appreciated...
:smile:
If you have a natal saturn venus aspect then yes a transit is valid.
THere are websites that deal with retrogrades. Try Martin Schulman.