Basic astrology questions

snipbean

Okay, so I really want to learn how to read transits/progressions but its been really hard for me to understand them so I'm just going to list what I understand and don't understand and hopefully someone can help me.

First of all, whats the difference between transits, and progressions, or a progressed chart?

How do I read transits? When i goto astro.com and get a transits/natal chart done, the aspects chart thingy looks the same but it has the planets in different positions on the outside and the green text with the numbers and signs.

Now I never really understood the numbers when it came to understanding aspects, I know that certain numbers or angles mean conjuct/sextile/trine and all that, but I don't know which ones and I don't know what the numbers are on the chart. Like for example it shows

Sun 6 Can 2'31"

Can someone explain to me, what is the 6, the 2 and the 31?
for the transits it shows 28, a really smooshed looking libra sign and a 57
and what are orbs? I never understood what orbs ment at all.

and I'm assuming the position of the green lettered planets on the outside of the circle, indicate what house the planet is transiting though.

But then how do I find out aspects like when people say "saturn is opposing my natal sun" or something like that, how do they know? Is it something like the angles/number that saturn is at during the present are like, the same as the number your natal sun was at?

I know I allready posted a topic on trying to learn aspects, one of you gave me a link to a program or something but when I downloaded it and did my natal chart it was different than the one I got from astro.com and I couldnt figure out why so I was like the hell with it.
But this time hopfully with me being more specific to what I don't understand with your help I can tackle this!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerrie

Re: transits help, again. more specific this time with my questions.

A suggestion would be to concentrate on natal astrology, before you get into transits and progressions.

Natal astrology is about you, and transits and progression are used in predictive astrology, you would need to understand natal before you ventured into predicitive astrology.

You should start by working out the meaning of your natal chart.
  1. Have a look where the planets fell on your birthdate. Find out what it means to have the Sun in Cancer or your Moon in Virgo etc.
  2. Next research the houses (12 houses altogether) in the natal chart, the meaning of each house and then have a look where your planets are placed.
  3. Then take a look at aspects, google "Aspects" and the meaning, these are the blue or red lines on your www.astro.com chart.
After that you should come back and find out what the transits and progressions are.

For your information,

Natal Chart = is the position of the planets in the sky when you were born.

Transits = are the position of the planets in the sky right now but you can also enter a future date into astro.com to find out the position of the planets at a future date.

Progressions = are based on a day for a year system, progression use the first 100 days or so of your life, example. your were born on the 27 june 90 so you are 0 yrrs old, on the 28 june 90 you are 1 yrs old, on the 29 june 90 you are 2 yrs old and so on.

Natal and Transits Chart in Astro = The inner circle is your natal chart, the outside green planets are the transits (the current position of the planets). As well as showing them on the chart, astro.com has a detailed box (bottom left hand corner). Details in blue are your natal details, details in green are the transit details.

Aspects on a Chart

The natal chart is made up of 360 degrees, each sign is made up on 30 degrees, 12 signs in the zodiac, calculation - 12 * 30 = 360 degrees.

Aspects are the difference between planets.

Aspect/Degree

Conjunct = 0 degrees
Sextile = 60 degrees
Square = 90 degrees
Trine = 120 degrees
Opposition = 180

Example. to have a conjunction there needs to be 0 degrees between 2 planets, but there is normally a little you can go over each side, which is called an Orb, it changes all the time, stick with 8 either side while you are learning and you shouldnt go wrong. You have your Sun at 6 degrees of Cancer, 179 degrees away you have Uranus, this is called an opposition.

The meaning of 6, 2 and 31 is 6 degrees, 2 minutes and 31 seconds, Im a learner too... cant tell you much more than that :) . Just worry about the 6 degrees part for now.

Yes the position of the green symbols indicate where planet is currently located right now.

You said "how do I find out aspects like when people say "saturn is opposing my natal sun" or something like that, how do they know? Is it something like the angles/number that saturn is at during the present are like, the same as the number your natal sun was at?"

They know by doing a calculation of the aspect between the transit planet (green) and the natal planet (blue), have a look where you sun is in blue and then take a look to see if there are any planets in green that form an aspect.

Last edited:

starlink

Snipbean,

I would suggest to you that even before looking at transits and progressions, you first completely understand the basics of astrology first. What is an aspect, what does it mean, what do the planets and houses mean etc. etc. otherwise looking at progressions and transits wont make much sense to you ever! I did a 4 year astrology course and only in the 3rd year, progressions etc. were introduced. Basics is the most important thing to learn before attempting to do anything else.

Kerrie, thanks you for being so kind to explain everything to Snipbean. Much appreciated!

STarlink

Last edited:

EJ53

Banned

Off-topic post deleted, but subsequently referred to by others on this thread.

Last edited:

BobZemco

This sort of gives people the idea that you don't understand the basics of astrology:

snipbean said:
Sun 6 Can 2'31"

for the transits it shows 28, a really smooshed looking libra sign and a 57

No offense, but you really do need to know the basics before moving on. Transits, and especially progressions, build off of the, um, "basics" as you call them.

If you don't know the basics then you'll never understand transits and progresssions and you'll cause yourself and others a tremendous amount of harm.

The devotion of time to learning craft and practicing it really does yield the rewards.

wilsontc

Staff member
some astro-basics, to snip

snip,

You said:
I really want to learn how to read transits/progressions but its been really hard for me to understand them so I'm just going to list what I understand and don't understand and hopefully someone can help me.

First of all, whats the difference between transits, and progressions, or a progressed chart?

How do I read transits? When i goto astro.com...

I never really understood the numbers...

what are orbs?...

But then how do I find out aspects like when people say "saturn is opposing my natal sun" or something like that, how do they know?...

being more specific to what I don't understand with your help I can tackle this!

First of all, PLEASE don't swear at others here, even when joking, since it adds no information and it can REALLY turn some people off to you and your posts very quickly.

Secondly, I DON'T know how much astrological background you have, so I may cover some things which you already know. This is NOT because I am "talking down" to you, it's because I don't know what you do know and what you don't know astrologically. It sounds like you know your way around a birth chart by looking at it, but now want more information on where all that chart information comes FROM and how to use your basic chart knowledge to understand more advanced astrological techniques.

So, to use your own example, you aren't simply asking, "Where can I find the bathroom?" You are asking "Where can I find the bathroom and how do I use it?" :D Naturally, answering this sort of question takes a little more time...and a little plain-speaking language.

Now that you can interpret a chart WITHOUT all the astrological mumbo-jumbo...let's work to put some of that mumbo-jumbo back in! First of all, a birth chart is a circle (don't glare at me, I'm coming to the point!). And, like all circles, the chart has 360 degrees. There are 12 zodiac signs in the chart, and each sign takes the same amount of space in the chart. So if we divide 360 by 12, we will come up with the total number of degrees in a zodiac sign. 360/12 = 30 so there are 30 degrees in a zodiac sign. Each Zodiac sign degree begins with 0 degrees, so each Zodiac sign is numbered between 0 and 29 degees in the chart.

So far, so good! :) Alright, if we want to divide the degrees up into SMALLER parts, we have to invent new names for these parts. OK, let's call the smaller parts "minutes". And we want to divide up the minutes, so let's call THOSE smaller parts "seconds". Now, since we are now using "clock words", let's divide up the degrees into 60 minutes (like a clock) per degree. And divide up the minutes into 60 seconds (like a clock). OK. So NOW what do we have? We now have a way to describe the degrees in a chart VERY accurately. We can not only say how many DEGREES a sign is, we can also say how many minutes, and how many seconds.

(This is the part where your question comes in.) Let's take, for example...Sun 6 Can 2'31". What does the "6" stand for? 6 degrees. That's right! And now, what does the next number, the "2" stand for? Well, the 2 is PART of the 6 number, so it is some sort of DIVISION of the degree. And what's the first way we divide degrees? Minutes. Yes! Great job! The "2" indicates 2 MINUTES. And the "31"? That's easy: 31 seconds. Yes! So if we put it all together and say it as it "sounds"? We'd say, "The Sun is at 6 degrees, 2 minutes, 31 seconds of Cancer." Yes, that's EXACTLY right! But who in the world uses all those minutes and seconds? You got me on that one! I never use them and don't know anyone else who does: maybe it's the computers way of bragging about how it is so accurate and wonderful? :D And sometimes if the degree number is VERY close to the next degree, some astrologers might "round up" and USE the next degree number. For example, if the Sun is at 2 degrees 59 minutes and 59 seconds of Cancer, the astrologer might consider the Sun at 3 degrees Cancer, since it is so VERY close to it.

Wikipedia does a good job explaining orbs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb_(astrology)

You can read transits in an aspect grid. You find the aspect grid in astro.com by creating a transit chart and then clicking on the link on the top left labeled "View the additional tables (PDF)". The aspect grid will show you clearly the aspects made between transiting planets (moving planets in the sky) and your birth planets.

Finally, a VERY general idea about the difference between a transit chart and a progressed chart is a transit chart is about what is going on in the "outer world" and the progressed chart is about what is going on in the "inner world". Some people read a progressed chart as a chart separate from the birth chart, but I don't. To me, both the transit chart and the progressed charts are created by putting the birth chart in the center and then creating the transit or progressed chart AROUND the birth chart.

OK, there are some basics to start on, let us know what makes sense, what doesn't and what else you need to know.

Making the simple complex,

Tim

snipbean

It sounds like you know your way around a birth chart by looking at it, but now want more information on where all that chart information comes FROM and how to use your basic chart knowledge to understand more advanced astrological techniques.

thank you for understanding...Sometimes the people on this board are so quick to dismiss questions without helping at all, its just discouraging and rude. And I mean, speaking of "adding no information" it doesn't really add any information to just tell me I need to know the basics

Sorry about the swearing, this board just upsets me sometimes.

And thank you for your post you explain things VERY well and I found it helpful

BobZemco

snipbean said:
Sometimes the people on this board are so quick to dismiss questions without helping at all, its just discouraging and rude.

It's a give and take thing. Astrologers help those who help themselves. You'll notice some people ask others to post just a smidgen of an interpretation of their natal/progressed/transit/horary/electional/return chart and you never see or hear from those people again. Time is valuable. There's only so much and one can't afford to waste it.

I can see why you have an interest in transits/progressions.

You need to really learn the planets and how they act in the signs and houses. In the near future, your life isn't going to be very normal and you'll need to have a solid grasp so that you can understand what's going on and make the best decisions you can.

snipbean

I understand what you mean, I mean I ask for interpretations because i get frustrated when I cant figure out something myself, and I try to learn from the interpretations because I don't know enough to have confidence in the conclusions I had made myself. I mean I do have a solid interest in learning rather than just an interpretation, I invest as much time as I can in astrology.

You need to really learn the planets and how they act in the signs and houses. In the near future, your life isn't going to be very normal and you'll need to have a solid grasp so that you can understand what's going on and make the best decisions you can.
Thats honestly pretty frightening :(

astro.teacher

Ill give your questions a shot. However first I must say, regardless of anyones astrology education level, proper questions (such as these) help MANY people learn who read the topics but do not post. Therefore I feel it appropriate rather than to judge someones education level to answer these questions are thoroughly as possible so that many people can learn that may have similar questions. The person asking the question may not always be the one who benefits from the answer!

so I really want to learn how to read transits/progressions

http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap8.html

There is a plethora concerning Transits as well as other predictive chart methods that should help you learn more about the system of prediction.

Transits happen naturally, progressions are artifical. Transits are the current position of the Planets at any given time. The only time that transits stop, is when we calculate a chart and put them down on paper. Progressions on the other hand are a progression of a certain point continually on a given period of time. For example, one may progress the Ascendant a sign every year (and all the other points of the chart) and this is usually termed a Profection. Progressions are usually a blanket term for a variety of different predictive charts that shift in some way. Usually Solar Arcs are the most widely used, this is where you progress one degree every year of birth, they are also called Directions. There are also Primary and Secondary Directions or Progressions; you can read more on the topics here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_progression

How do I read transits?

Transits are fairly simple to read. Rather than repeat myself you can just check this out, it should teach you how to read Transits as well as important points to watch out for when analyzing transits;

http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap8-7.html

the aspects chart thingy looks the same but it has the planets in different positions on the outside and the green text with the numbers and signs.

The green Planetary signs represent the current position of those Planets (or their Transits).

Now I never really understood the numbers when it came to understanding aspects, I know that certain numbers or angles mean conjuct/sextile/trine and all that, but I don't know which ones and I don't know what the numbers are on the chart. Like for example it shows

Aspects can be tricky sometimes in understanding as there are multiple systems used by different people throughout time. I use the traditional system, being that I am a traditional based Astrologer and therefore find it more accurate in my readings. Modern Astrologers use a different system (usually based on a 10 point orb). The basics of the traditional aspect system can be found here;

http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap2-5.html
http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap2-6.html

The Orbs of each of the Planets traditionally taken are found here;

http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap2-14.html

Sun 6 Can 2'31"

Yes, the Sun is 6 degrees in Cancer and 2 minutes and 31 seconds. The Zodiac is divided into 360 degrees (or a perfect circle), then broken into 12 sections called Signs, these signs make up 30 degrees each. It so happens that the Sun is in 6 degrees (out of 30) in Cancer. These 30 degrees also break down into 60 minutes to a degree, and furthermore 60 seconds. To get the most accurate reading, its best to look at the minutes and seconds to find the exact position of a Planet or point. The exact position of a planet or point can be very important and significant in readings, one minute off can change the meaning of something. Seconds are not AS important.

You can read about orbs in the recent above links I provided. An orb is simply a set number of degrees that a Planet may extend its influence in an aspect. The Sun has the greatest amount of orb allowance because its beams reach quite far before they lose their power.

But then how do I find out aspects like when people say "saturn is opposing my natal sun" or something like that, how do they know? Is it something like the angles/number that saturn is at during the present are like, the same as the number your natal sun was at?

Well, when you cast a chart at Astro.com and go to the PDF at the top right I believe it will give you a table of transit aspects for that specific chart (Natal to Transit). Otherwise, once you know orb allowances you should be able to easily spot an aspects formed without the help of the table. As for your example, Saturn being opposed to your natal Sun; this occurs when Saturn is 180 degrees from the Sun (or its direct opposite). Therefore if we find that the Sun is in Libra 1 degree 2 minutes 3 seconds, and Saturn is transiting Aries, 1 degree 2 minutes 3 seconds we know that it is directly opposite to Saturn and therefore in opposition.

starlink

My guess is that your reference to "not understanding the numbers" is what prompted the assumption that you were a novice -

Snipbean, that is exactly where my misunderstanding (and maybe also the others) came from. My apologies. Please understand that there are many members asking the same questions without ever having made an effort of learning basics.

I was very happy that Kerrie helped you out there and yes EJ, it is i.m.o. also a good idea to put the questions and answers to this into a "Sticky" or put it on the Education board. That's what the purpose of that board is for.
I will discuss it and if approved, will move this thread there, deleting then the rest of the posts so only the questions and answers will remain.

Cheers, Starlink

starlink

It's a give and take thing. Astrologers help those who help themselves. You'll notice some people ask others to post just a smidgen of an interpretation of their natal/progressed/transit/horary/electional/return chart and you never see or hear from those people again.

This is also one of the reasons why we are a bit strict at times and why we have the "please try to interprete at least a littlebit yourself first" rules .

Bob is very very right by saying this. As soon as those people dont answer anymore, you know enough: No real interest in astrology, just curiosity as to their own chart or too lazy to give any input.

aquarius7000

it is i.m.o. also a good idea to put the questions and answers to this into a "Sticky" or put it on the Education board. That's what the purpose of that board is for.
I will discuss it and if approved, will move this thread there, deleting then the rest of the posts so only the questions and answers will remain.

Star,

I have already informed Lillyjgc about this thread, so she can have a look at it.

As far as moving this thread altogether to the Education board goes, I would suggest leaving the thread here itself, and only copying the relevant posts at the Edu board (which I can do, if you like;)). This way, members can continue with their topic-related discussion here (which is not supposed to done at the Edu board).

Hi Snipbean,

My advice to you re your initial most question would be to take it one step at a time, as in thoroughly understand what natal astrology is all about (a vast subject), try your hand at reading at least 4-5 different natal charts, so you can put the learned theory into practice; and only then graduate to the next level - predictive astrology/ transits; and so forth.

All the best,
:)Aq7

Polo

Astrology takes time to learn, my friend. I started learning years ago, and I'm now only up to transits/progressions. Like others said, learn the basics first.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi all,
Yes i totally agree that this useful information needs to be on the Education Board. I am thinking the best way to go about this would be to do a cut and paste of all the useful info here in this discussion, add to it, write it up coherently, include links and present it as an article on the Ed. Board. Does anyone participating in this thread have any objections to my using the material in that way? Kerrie, are you okay with that? (it may take a day or two to get that together)
Lillyjgc

snipbean

My advice to you re your initial most question would be to take it one step at a time, as in thoroughly understand what natal astrology is all about (a vast subject), try your hand at reading at least 4-5 different natal charts, so you can put the learned theory into practice; and only then graduate to the next level - predictive astrology/ transits; and so forth.

I try to read natal charts of friends, but it mostly consists of me looking up every detail online for better interpretations and making conclusions based off of that and what I can see of it in the person, I mean, I think I try my best.

I know that its best to understand more about natal astrology first before I start to learn about transits and things, but I feel like, if I can understand the transits as they as they are going on, I could try and get a feel of what the different planets are like in the different houses and the aspects and how it affects me and my life.
I think I understand my own natal chart, but having to read other peoples charts, when they are skeptical and i'm not very confident in my abilities to read a chart or how well I know them as a person, inhibits that part of my learning (although I have had some successes with people).
So I just moved on to trying to understand transits.

I feel like I can't read a strangers chart either, because I don't have any way of confirming what I feel to be real about it.

Snipbean,

Is my comment here correct - or is my confusion just adding to the confusion?"

I'm just going to resize my signature in photoshop later, upload it again and change it, for now I took it off, I don't like it to be such a big block of distraction, but for now I have an essay thats an hour and a half late to begin :S