Why is Mars exalted in Capricorn

Moog

Question as title really. What do you reckon?

Claire19

Mars refers to energy and drive and Capricorn is the sign for hard work, goal setting and getting ahead. But I dont use those terms exalted, dignifiied, whatever. Mars rules Aries and is in natural square to Capricorn and I am sure it confuses a lot of people. Like Saturn being exalted in Libra. But Libra does rule long term committed partnerships. Saturn rules Capricorn and there again is in square to Libra..:w00t:

retinoid

It is debilitated in Cancer. The opposite of Cancer is Capricorn. Same with why is Jupiter exalted in Cancer (and debilitated in Capricorn?) Why is the moon good in Taurus but bad in Scorpio?

Ixaee

I believe its only a balancing act if you really consider it... the ying/yang between planets and signs.

No other sign effortlessly soothes a planet like its exalted sign does..

Mars is explosive, aggressive energy = Capricorn's natural coolness and self-control is like a healing balm to that energy.. (its more or less what Capricorn itself represents, instead of having anything to do with its ruler Saturn)

Just like other exalted signs;

The moon's emotions are erratic at times, unstable, changeable = Taurus is stable comfort, solid and calms the moon's natural energy..

Jupiter is expansive, foreign and concerned with the big picture = Cancer is the natural compliment to that, as its private, personal and concerned with immediate surroundings (family, home, etc).

Last edited:

dr. farr

I believe its only a balancing act if you really consider it... the ying/yang between planets and signs.

No other sign effortlessly soothes a planet like its exhalation sign does..

Mars is explosive, aggressive energy = Capricorn's natural coolness and self-control is like a healing balm to that energy..

Just like other exhalations;

The moon's emotions are erratic at times, unstable, changeable = Taurus is stable comfort and calms the moon's natural energy..

Jupiter is expansive, foreign and concerned with the big picture = Cancer is the natural compliment to that, as its private, personal and concerned with immediate surroundings (family, home, etc).

Very good points-simple, direct, and (I believe) quite valid:biggrin:!

SniperBomber328

Don't forget about Venus exalts in Pisces. Venus is all about love and sensual pleasures. Pisces is about sacrifice and fullfillment, being generous and chastible. Along with Virgo, though Mercury is hard to ascertain in this sense. I've read that Uranus exalts in Gemini, Neptune in Leo and Pluto in Scorpio if anyone wants to give those a try.

Anachiel

Of the historical origins of the Exaltations of the planets we have Porphyry who explained that the diurnal planets being in a trine to the signs they rule were exalted places and, nocturnal planets in sextile to their own ruling signs were exalted.

Also, the Sun and superior planets are given the Cardinal signs with the above and the inferior planets given as neighborly a place in lesser positions along with the above.

So, for example, the Sun rules Leo. Both Aries and Sagittarius trine Leo. However, Aries is a cardinal sign so, it becomes the exaltation of the Sun. Or, the Moon ruling Cancer. Both Taurus and Virgo sextile Cancer but only Taurus sits next to the Sun (in its exaltation rather than Saturn in Libra) which gives her light.

SniperBomber328

Of the historical origins of the Exaltations of the planets we have Porphyry who explained that the diurnal planets being in a trine to the signs they rule were exalted places and, nocturnal planets in sextile to their own ruling signs were exalted.

Also, the Sun and superior planets are given the Cardinal signs with the above and the inferior planets given as neighborly a place in lesser positions along with the above.

So, for example, the Sun rules Leo. Both Aries and Sagittarius trine Leo. However, Aries is a cardinal sign so, it becomes the exaltation of the Sun. Or, the Moon ruling Cancer. Both Taurus and Virgo sextile Cancer but only Taurus sits next to the Sun (in its exaltation rather than Saturn in Libra) which gives her light.

How are the others signs chosen, by their Sign? What I mean is do we use Pisces or Sagittarius for the Trine to indicate the exaltation? Which in this case I guess they chose Pisces, since Pisces Trines Cancer, where Jupiter is exalted in.

In that case, what about Mercury? I am guessing because Mercury is neutral, andrygonous, etc. Mercury didn't move sign, which they used Virgo for apparently.

I have a feeling many will say, no they used Gemini since Gemini Trines Aquarius, and Mercury is exalted in Aquarius. No, Mercury is exalted in Virgo.

Claire19

It is debilitated in Cancer. The opposite of Cancer is Capricorn. Same with why is Jupiter exalted in Cancer (and debilitated in Capricorn?) Why is the moon good in Taurus but bad in Scorpio?
Exactly!! It is that it the sign is not the natural placement or sympathetic to the qualities of the planet. Not good or bad. A well placed Scorpio Moon can be hugely transformative and a badly aspected Taurus Moon can be very materialistic, self indulgent, avaricious etc. Each chart on its own merits.

Claire19

How are the others signs chosen, by their Sign? What I mean is do we use Pisces or Sagittarius for the Trine to indicate the exaltation? Which in this case I guess they chose Pisces, since Pisces Trines Cancer, where Jupiter is exalted in.

In that case, what about Mercury? I am guessing because Mercury is neutral, andrygonous, etc. Mercury didn't move sign, which they used Virgo for apparently.

I have a feeling many will say, no they used Gemini since Gemini Trines Aquarius, and Mercury is exalted in Aquarius. No, Mercury is exalted in Virgo.
There again using those terms is confusing and really means little. It is an old fashioned terminology and is quite limiting.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member

Well, you're probably more right about that then you think. Mercury is neither diurnal or nocturnal, nor is it feminine or masculine, so it makes it very hard for it to fit into the rulebooks the other planets tend to follow. In Mercury's case, I believe the exaltation in Virgo did two things.

First, it kept Mercury close to the Sun's rulership and we know that Mercury cannot be more than 27° from the Sun. Secondly, Mercury, Virgo, and the time of year Virgo harkens are all of the same humour, they're all cooling and dry...wel...at least in the Northern Hemisphere.

Anachiel

Diurnal and nocturnal is the key and it works except for Jupiter and Mars who are masculine but cast their exaltation from nocturnal ruling signs.

Mercury, as always, is variable so, he doesn't move having rule and exaltation in Virgo.

Might work as good a explanation as any.

I feel there are simply some things in the history of astrology that, even if explained to us direct from the mouth of some ancient, we still wouldn't get because of our "modern" world view and how much the times have changed in light of perspective and how we relate to the Cosmos, in general. We just have to look that, historically, these things have been a constant and try to wrap out heads around it from what little has been explained. To the ancients it was probably as clear as day.

Probably like us taking for granted a light switch. In our day and age we write, "..and I walked into the room and turned on the light..." Well, in 500 years, depending on how things go, someone might read that and say hey, "Well HOW did they turn on the light?" Did they just walk in and it went on or was there a mechanism or was someone there to do it for them???...lol

byjove

Account Closed
I really like the historical reasoning for these things. In this thread and others, almost every 3rd post someone had re-imagined the entire zodiac in a way that works in their head...I don't get that, you can't reorder the galaxy around us on a whim...or 'it seems to work to me'. There is a reason and purpose for these things. I fully support re-evaluation, but the historical evidence must be brought forward and then opposing or modifying arguments laid out, then test theories etc...honestly, there is a countless number I see who have their very own arrangement despite having ZERO knowledge of the original arguments and I don't get it...these are not Lego pieces...

As for Mercury, did Ptolemy not have a special rule for it? Whether it rises ahead or behind the Sun determines whether it is dirunal or nocturnal? I wonder did any of the other great teachers have other ideas? Can anyone vouch for Valens, the Persians or William Lily?

JUPITERASC

Might work as good a explanation as any.

I feel there are simply some things in the history of astrology that, even if explained to us direct from the mouth of some ancient, we still wouldn't get because of our "modern" world view and how much the times have changed in light of perspective and how we relate to the Cosmos, in general. We just have to look that, historically, these things have been a constant and try to wrap out heads around it from what little has been explained. To the ancients it was probably as clear as day.

Probably like us taking for granted a light switch. In our day and age we write, "..and I walked into the room and turned on the light..." Well, in 500 years, depending on how things go, someone might read that and say hey, "Well HOW did they turn on the light?" Did they just walk in and it went on or was there a mechanism or was someone there to do it for them???...lol
Good illustration of possible limitations on our ability to completely comprehend "arcane aka obscure" concepts that were arguably household words aka common knowledge to the ancients :smile:

sequestra

Mmm yeah I love mars here, it gets shizz done. And following in Ixaee's vein, my dad is like the most cool and collected cucumber there is with his 1st house mars in cap (putting a leash on his sag stellium in the 1st). So hard-working, so efficient, so much done in a tempered, sustained and graceful manner. Mars here has self control, but not at the expense of productivity.

AND it can stop at one glass of wine, which my fish martian has always been in awe of.

Anachiel

As for Mercury, did Ptolemy not have a special rule for it? Whether it rises ahead or behind the Sun determines whether it is dirunal or nocturnal? I
wonder did any of the other great teachers have other ideas? Can anyone vouch for Valens, the Persians or William Lily?

Mmmkay, are you ready for this one?? Porphyry, it is told, said that Mercury was sooo tired from all his running around (messanger) that he had to stay in one home (Virgo). Ha!

Also, there is some speculation, for example, Jupiter exalted in Cancer; Cancer is the home of the Moon. Jupiter's symbol includes the Moon, like the Moon sitting on a horizon or platform. Coincidentally, the Moon, even though void, is said to be able to function somewhat in Jupiter's domiciles of Sagittarius and Pisces. So, there is some odd, ancient connection there.

Or, take this one: the Moon exalted in Taurus. In ancient times...like waaayyyy back there, horned animals were sacred to the Moon, and in lunar-centric cultures were revered, particularly what we call "cows". Their horns mimic the phases of the Moon, the crescents.

Or another one: Saturn exalted in Libra. His symbol is the plough...yeah, you have to turn it on it's side, otherwise it looks like a fish-hook. Saturn is also known as the "reaper" or "father-time" or basically has clthonic associations. Well, what do we do, or should I say, used to do when the Sun entered Libra? We harvested!

Just a few diddies there to add to some of the historical reasonings behind exaltations.

MaeMae

Banned
jupiter exalted in cancer does give a notion of fertility.
the empress in tarot fits this as well.
giving, nurturing, generous and bountiful. growth producing.

tsmall

Premium Member

Anachiel, isn't it also something to do with each planet having a preference for one of the two signs it rules? For example, Jupiter prefers Pisces to Sagittaruis, and Cancer trines Pisces.