debilitated planets in aspect to dignified planets

Night Sky

I´d like to know what you think of say a planet in detriment in harmonous aspect to one in rulership. It´s quite simple.

My example is Mercury in Sagittarius sextile Venus in Libra.

How does the "afflicted" planet fair in such an aspect?

[Moderator edit - Thread moved here, as thread-starters need to share their own interpretation when posting on other boards.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Night Sky

Let me see, I propose that the said afflicted planet is accidentally dignified.

But, am unsure still as to the particulars. Because the afflicted is still not going to be pulling its weight so to speak.

I asked the question because this is something I am unsure about.
Are there any opinions on this whatsoever?

I appreciate any thoughts on the matter and only wish I was better at explaining my point. The lack of response makes me think it is not understood very well.

Mercury in Sag and Venus in Libra. Venus is 'at home' in libra. Mercury in Sag would be philosophical, broad minded, extrovert, sociable, maybe into travel 9th house matters etc in aspect to Venus..... could be procrastinating, restless indecisive, charming, sociable...;)

In astrology, a celestial body is said to be in detriment, or exile, when it is posited in the zodiac sign opposite the sign it rules (over which it has domicile). When a celestial body is in detriment it is said to be not comfortable in that sign and to tend to operate with the least strength.

So, why don't you explain how this aspect functions for you?

Rulership:
  • Mars in Aries
  • Venus in Taurus
  • Mercury in Gemini
  • Moon in Cancer
  • Sun in Leo
  • Mercury in Virgo
  • Venus in Libra
  • Mars in Scorpio
  • Jupiter in Sagittarius
  • Saturn in Capricorn
  • Saturn in Aquarius
  • Jupiter in Pisces
Exaltation:
  • Sun in Aries
  • Moon in Taurus
  • North Node in Gemini
  • Jupiter in Cancer
  • Mercury in Virgo
  • Saturn in Libra
  • South Node in Sagittarius
  • Mars in Capricorn
  • Venus in Pisces
Detriment:
  • Venus in Aries
  • Mars in Taurus
  • Jupiter in Gemini
  • Saturn in Cancer
  • Saturn in Leo
  • Jupiter in Virgo
  • Mars in Libra
  • Venus in Scorpio
  • Mercury in Sagittarius
  • Moon in Capricorn
  • Sun in Aquarius
  • Mercury in Pisces
Fall:
  • Saturn in Aries
  • Mars in Cancer
  • Venus in Virgo
  • Sun in Libra
  • Moon in Scorpio
  • Jupiter in Capricorn
  • Mercury in Pisces

Last edited:

aquarius7000

I´d like to know what you think of say a planet in detriment in harmonous aspect to one in rulership. It´s quite simple.

My example is Mercury in Sagittarius sextile Venus in Libra.

How does the "afflicted" planet fair in such an aspect?
Interesting question. I would say that the afflicted planet would, in most cases, get a bit of a 'face-lift', if you so will, through the energies of the stronger one combining (through an easy aspect) with its own. A planet in dignity, such as Venus in Libra, is very strong; whilst a planet in detriment, such as Merc in Sag (to stick to your e.g.) is weak. When the strength of one connects through a sextile (easy flow of energy) to a weak planet, the resulting energies would be stronger than what they would have been, if both the planets were in detriment. Also, IMO, we would/should consider your question basically only as far as non-personal planets go, as we do not usually consider dignities and debilities of planets like Uranus, Nep and Plu. Their affect through any aspect (sextile or square) to a personal planet is always felt strongly.

:)AQ7

Night Sky

Thank you for replying Aquarius 7000.:)

It´s not just essential dignities that interest me on this question, it would go further to include accidental ones as well. In fact they might be even more important. Of course I don´t consider the "modern planets" in relation to this question.;) It´s debatable as always.

natasa812

Dear Night Sky, I had similar question abou my Mercury in Sagittarius (in my 10th) which is debilitated too. BUT makes a nice conj. with Jupiter. BUT: Jupiter is in conj. with Sun = in combust! Also, makes nice trine to Moon, ruler of my 5th and 6th - every day job! And I use my Mercury that trines that Moon in my every day job. BUT: Moon makes nice trine to Venus which is in Capricorn!
So, everything looks just fine, we have one debilitated planet but, here comes the BUT!
1. If Mercury is in conj. with Jupiter and Jupiter is in combust - is it useless?
2. If Moon trines Venus but Venus is in Capricorn - is it useless?

My personal experience goes as follows: I always ``used`` this Mercury, even debilitated, even retro. Never had any problems with learning. My income depends on my Mercury. It even squares Mars which is ruler of my 2nd of possesions - the more I look at my natal, the less I understand!
There must be an aspect that ``lifts`` somehow this Mercury of mine and yours too - I just don`t know where to find it!

Night Sky

It may have other dignities like being in 10th house. It may have a mutual reception, there are a number of things which are possible.:)