Mars in natal 12th house

NeptunianLibran

This is my first post on this forum and I know I saw a thread for 12th house Mars, I can't seem to find it! So I just started a new thread.
But I have Mars and Venus in Virgo in the 12th house and I COMPLETELY understand the suppressed anger that a lot of people have described with this position. I'm 25 and I already worry about high blood pressure, ulcers, and giving myself an aneurysm! :sideways:
And being a double Libra doesn't help at all with the inability to express anger. I just can't do it! It's so weird! The only time I can clearly and effectively express anger is if it's at myself when I'm by myself!

And Mars in the 12th does get a bad reputation. I've read books that flat-out say, "you are in danger of suicide."
I laugh at it at first and I'm like, "Ha! That's ridiculous!"
Skip to a few hours later when I'm calculating the proper length of a noose for a woman my weight and height. (j/k, I got a morbid & self-depricating sense of humor. I got Mercury and the Moon in Scorpio, nice to meet you :happy:)

But as any astrologer (and Libran) can tell you, there are good and bad things to every placement.
Sometimes I hate my 12th house Mars. It eats at me. It wants me to jump off a bridge sometimes and withdraw from everything.

But then I look at my sister who has a 1st house Mars in 29 degrees Leo. What a handfull! She doesn't suppress her anger at all; she asserts herself constantly. She wouldn't know what guilt or self-hatred felt like if it exploded on her face! Which is nice for her but......she is the biggest b**ch I have ever met in my life! She's my sister and I love her, but she is completely uncompromising and THEE most difficult person to travel with. My own mother and numerous people have said that my sister is "just unpleasant to be around."

But as her sister and as a double Libra, I am equipped to compromise with her exhausting personality, but not everybody is as deprived. My sister has gotten in so many fights and petty arguments, it's ridiculous. She's been hospitalized for fighting, she starts showdowns at the worst possible moment, and the list goes on.

A lot of books I've read say that planets in the 12th house represent things that are lost or unattainable, but I disagree. I think planets occupying the 12th house are just asleep or in the dark, but it is possible for them wake up or to become illuminated.

In tense moments, I often tell myself, "Wake up, Mars! Wake up and help me do something!"

And also what I've noticed in myself with 12th house Mars is that I have to realize that I'm angry. It's almost like I've suppressed my anger about things for so long that I don't even know when I'm angry anymore. My anger is lost, but I can find it. It just takes some time and thinking about it.

But when that Martian beast finally gets a chance to be let out, he's hungry. I don't personally know anyone with a 12th house Mars, but if I did, I'd be careful around them. God forbid 2 people with 12th house Mars get into a fight! That must be where black holes come from.

But it's a catch 22 cause 12th house Mars doesn't like being expressed, but he doesn't like being suppressed. 12th house Mars doesn't express anger, but when you finally do, you end up feeling guilty about it and the cycle just continues. To me, Mars in 12th makes guilt and anger conjoined twins; you get one, you get the other. I feel guilty whenever I'm angry, and I feel angry when I feel guilty.

But there are good things about us Mars in 12th. We do have the ability to compromise or sacrifice a great deal of ourselves for the sake of others. That can easily be considered a bad thing, but I think it can be noble at times.
On the negative side, I'll find myself working my a** off for free, or not standing up for myself during obvious injustice.
But on the plus, I'll go totally out of my way to help someone and I don't care if it never gets acknowledged or praised. I don't do nice things for people because I want some good karma or because I want praise. I do it because I hate myself- just kidding! I do it because asserting myself isn't important to me.

And also as a 12th house Mars plus, I can get along with the most difficult personalities, like my ***** of a sister. Uh, I mean, b**ch of a sister.

Oh yeah, and another personal interpretation of 12th house Mars, I have a very self-depricating sense of humor. I'm white and I LOVE it when white people get made fun of. I'm American and I absolutely ADORE when people of other nationalities make fun of Americans. It's really weird. I don't just laugh at it, I thoroughly enjoy it. Maybe that's my Mercury & Moon in the self-stinging Scorpio, but I think it's also the 12th house Mars at work. I got self-deprication all over my chart.

But in the big picture, I think a 12th house Mars is fitting for me because I don't think other people deserve the fury that is locked inside me. They don't deserve that fury. Mars is best left locked away for me. I think I'm the only one who deserves my rage and I'm the only one who could handle my anger. And as someone with a 12th house Mars, I'm more than willing to sacrifice myself and take the hit of the 12th house Mars.

Caro

neptune libran

there has been a number of discussions about this placement mars in 12th and also mars in libra (and in 12th)

I will move them up so you can read them.

its not the best placing, I have it too for me the worst thing about it is the lack of energy.....

its interesting what you say about someone with mars in first in leo, I have some friends with sagi mars in first and they are a bit more easy going but they also have neptune in sagi nearby so that may be why

C0rnholio

My mom and a chick that I like both have Mars in the 12th house. My mom is a Libra, and her Mars is in Leo, conjunct a Leo moon in 12th. She does not know what anger is. She is the most giving and unselfish person that I know, luckily for her this is usually limited to family. We try to keep her from doing different self-sacrifices and stuff. Not very effective, especially since her Libra Sun is conjunct Neptune and her South Node. But I think we are making some progress.

She is rarely alone, but being alone is really good for her. She then has nobody to worry about but herself. Her health and appearance become a lot better after some solitude.

The chick that I like has that 12th house Mars in Virgo, conjunct Jupiter. She is a lawyer. Gets even with people using legal ways. Her Mars also squares her Sag Sun. She used to do kickboxing, probably to relief the stress.

I have Venus in Virgo, the ruler of the chart, in the 12th house, just like you.

Thanks for explaining how you feel about your Mars, NeptunianLibran! BTW, why are you "Neptunian"?

bittermoon

I also have Mars in the 12th, in Aquarius. To me it doesn't necessarily mean lack of energy, but my energy seems to be more on a mental level or an internal one, rather than physical. Even as a kid, I wasn't much into playing and running outside. I usually preferred to be by myself; reading, writing and drawing. I am still like that.

When I travelled through Asia, instead of doing all the touristy sights and go diving, rafting and hiking etc. I spent my energy on quietly exploring the alleys of towns and cities with my camera, drinking tea and reading books on the history of Cambodia and Viet Nam (how Cancerian) or visiting monks if I wanted to have a chat.

NeptunianLibran

Caro, I think a Sagittarius Mars would be less heliocentric and less "look at me" like a Leo Mars in the 1st house would. Sagittarius is more broad-minded than Leo, so I think a Sag Mars would be less self-assertive. And I think that the 29 degrees of my sister's 1st house Leo Mars is significant in her uncompromising ways.

That's a pretty sweet avatar, Cornholio. A chick you like has Mars in Virgo in the 12th? You realize what that means? It means you're gonna have to be the one to make the first move. Cause Mars in Virgo is one thing, but Mars in Virgo in the 12th? Yeah, you're gonna have to be the one to take the lead. Are you a Libra with your Venus in the 12th, too? How frustrating is this sh*t?! Do you also have an uncontrollable desire for privacy? Are you un-necessarily secretive? Do you keep a significant amount of yourself hidden?
Oh, and I'm Neptunian cause it's my favorite planet. And I identify with it the most. In fact, I feel it is my most dominant planet. It's in my 3rd house, quintile my Sun, and squared with my 12th house Venus. I love Neptune (pun intended).

Bittermoon, I agree. I don't feel I have a lack of energy either. I got tons of energy to hate myself, j/k. A little Mars in 12th humor.

Caro

Bittermoon

I too like to explore off the beaten track. I like to get to know what is hidden I guess and what is beneath the facade of a holiday brochurehow people live and work, where they live . Its not just in faraway destinations but in all my holidays. hadnt thought of this as mars expression but I guess it could be.

I thought this was a jupiter in 9th(cancer) but see it also my aqua sun in 4th and the jupiter sq with mars could be my lack of energy, I have lots of ideas and generally people see me as active but I wish I could do more! my trip to india I had a list of 16 destinations but only made 7 in the time I had. :sideways:

guess I will have to go back.........

Claire19

THe danger is to cite just one planet in a house by itself.......such as Mars in the 12th suicide.....ridiculous. You could expend energy helping those less fortunate for instance or have secret sex.:love: SO many connotations.
To find harmless outlets for your anger is crucial as it will affect your health.

C0rnholio

A chick you like has Mars in Virgo in the 12th? You realize what that means? It means you're gonna have to be the one to make the first move. Cause Mars in Virgo is one thing, but Mars in Virgo in the 12th? Yeah, you're gonna have to be the one to take the lead.
Maybe you are right. But she has a Virgo rising, she is a control freak. Also, she has a Sag Venus and a Sag Sun sextile Aquarius Moon, she needs freedom, if anyone tries to corner her she runs away. But perhaps cornering her gently and with no pressure could be the key. Since, as you said, she likes to be alone and rarely makes first move it might work. Time will tell.
That's a pretty sweet avatar, Cornholio. Are you a Libra with your Venus in the 12th, too? How frustrating is this sh*t?! Do you also have an uncontrollable desire for privacy? Are you un-necessarily secretive? Do you keep a significant amount of yourself hidden?
I am a Libra rising, Leo Sun (my chart is in my signature). Some of my stuff is secret, mostly my love life. I spill it on this forum sometimes, minus the x-rated details that can be unsiutabe to minors and the elderly.
Oh, and I'm Neptunian cause it's my favorite planet. And I identify with it the most. In fact, I feel it is my most dominant planet. It's in my 3rd house, quintile my Sun, and squared with my 12th house Venus. I love Neptune (pun intended).
Be careful with that Venus-Neptune square. You can fall in love with people without knowing them well, falling in love instead with a product of your own imagination. It's a wonderful quality to have, else without some idealization nobody will love anyone, but in your case of a Neptune square to a 12th house Virgo Venus, also the ruler of the chart, this at times could be quite detrimental to you.

starryair

I have mars conjunct venus in virgo 12th house also, with Libra raising and sun. But my Mars is squared by Uranus and Jupiter in Sagittarius, 3rd house. This shows my tendency to hold things in for a long time and then explode, this can come in the form of telling people exactly what I think of them, a lot of the time this comes as a shock to the individual since I am generally do tolerate a lot or I would completely excluding them from my life, no matter how long I’ve known the person, but it has to be exceptionally bad before it gets to that point. I really wish I could be more assertive at the very beginning of a relationship, so people are aware of my limits, I think thats the most apparent negative thing about this placement.

I also read that in a diurnal chart venus represents the mother, in my case that’s make perfect sense, since my mother would literally not allow me to cry, expressing any sort of feelings of anger or sadness would get cruelly criticised. Consequently I also have moon in aquarius.

RayAustin

THe danger is to cite just one planet in a house by itself.......such as Mars in the 12th suicide.....ridiculous. You could expend energy helping those less fortunate for instance or have secret sex.:love: SO many connotations.
To find harmless outlets for your anger is crucial as it will affect your health.

Some placements are that unfortunate, though, especially if this is a day Mars. I have a day Mars in the 12th, conjunct the south node. So I can vouch for it being that troublesome. I was extremely depressed as a 12 year old to teens.

RayAustin

Hi Neptune,
I have some similar placements -- Mars is in the 12th, and I am a Sun in Libra with Mars in Libra. Thankfully the Sun isn't afflicting Mars as well. In some ways, Mars in the 12th is a blessing. It's said that is good to have the malefic planets like Mars and Saturn in the cadent houses because they cannot do their damage as much. I feel in this sense Mars in the 12th is a blessing. It's good that you aren't taking out that anger as much, however we end up taking it out on ourselves. It's important with those with this placement to learn to release anger instead of bottling up. The blessing to this placement is funneling the angry energy into something that can benefit you, and get you the things you want in life.

A good question for you - is your chart a day or night chart? Mars will be more problematic at day and especially if he also is afflicting some other planet - especially the Moon.

m0ney*p0wer*re$pect

im a libra with a 12th house libra mars, 12th house sun. And to make things worse my mars has a tight square to neptune.

I learned my limits early on. Some imagined, some not. As a child i was always openly showing anger, my temper was so raw and i always felt heat flashes come over me then quick reactions. One day when i was nine, i got in a fight at school, it went on for 2 days, one day we didnt get cuaght the next day was a "rematch" and a teacher broke it up. I lost that day and got suspended.

the loss was not as bad as the aftermath. everybody at school kept bringing it up and authority figures in my family told me i was weak and was not as strong as other men in my family. So i began stuffing my anger repressing it to protect myself from embarassment, only picking fights i could win. Thats the funny thing about mars in masculine signs, he wont be denied and feels more urgent

I was raised in a house with a sister, mother, aunt , grandmother, and 2 female cousins. so u can see why masculine energy was downplayed there. BUT i did spend alot of time aound my uncles

i learned limits early, and here is where we try to use the imagination or emotional resource to overcome those limits. Here is kinda where we build ideals as to where we see ourselves. Im a gamer, and some the games i play are competitive, violent, and mission oriented, like mars. Thats the different world thing, and im just now learning this about myself. I spend so much time going in to depth about my basic urges and strengths and how i can express them without suffering defeator humitlation. So it does lead to lfiting wieghts and boxing classes, i built and ideal image of myself and how my masculine nature should look

football helped too as it helped me channel alot of my energy into weights and competition, i learned how to compete.

m0ney*p0wer*re$pect

Some placements are that unfortunate, though, especially if this is a day Mars. I have a day Mars in the 12th, conjunct the south node. So I can vouch for it being that troublesome. I was extremely depressed as a 12 year old to teens.

thats crazy lol i have the same placement as you and yes i believe a day mars can help as far as awareness goes

DaniPepper

Hi there!

I have Mars in the 12 House in Libra. I usually repress anger.. but I found a way to apply all that energy hidden: Martial Arts.. after I started go to practice kung fu I'm now a better girl :biggrin:.

I may agree with NeptunianLibran, I love to sacrifice myself for those ones I care, and I can relate to almost all people... I have Mercury in thw 12th too, and Sun in Scorpio in the 1st ANNNND Scorpio Rising... Maybe my Mars is gentle, but not weak with these configuration... :bandit:

tee_jay66

My ex boyfriend had mars in the 12th house squaring venus, uranus and pluto......heavy. He couldnt show anger but I would see his face turning purple and his face would erupt into eczema..........thats how I knew when he was hiding anger.

I tackled him about this and he said that he cannot dare show his anger as if he let it out he felt he was capable of murder :ninja:

m0ney*p0wer*re$pect

What do you mean "as far as awareness goes?"

My Sun is also in the 12th house, and Mars also squares Neptune tightly.

b/c i believe that a dirunal mars helps with awareness, its not as buried. Me and you have the same placements in the 12th, mars and the sun. But mrs in a masculine sign like air or fire kind of helps simply b/c we are awaere that we are stuffing our anger. We wont go as deep into our psyche to figure WHY we just that we do stuff it. And b/c of this we search for a release, we dont have to dig AS deep as a water sign may hve to or a earth sign has to

air signs and fire signs have a need to SEE things. With mars in libra we need to SEE our anger, our masculine side we need to see it and thats where the awareness comes from

so in the 12th a masculine sign mars may be a little easier to handle simply b/c of the need to see mars in action

the 12th is just the subconscious, but beyond that its the mind at a higher level, at the highest level using dreams, fantasies, deception all to get its way

when i say awareness i mean how bad we want to see it in the open, and when wecant see it our subconscious brings it out

m0ney*p0wer*re$pect

My ex boyfriend had mars in the 12th house squaring venus, uranus and pluto......heavy. He couldnt show anger but I would see his face turning purple and his face would erupt into eczema..........thats how I knew when he was hiding anger.

I tackled him about this and he said that he cannot dare show his anger as if he let it out he felt he was capable of murder :ninja:

thats what it feels like, like you are about t kill someone

mars is a sensitive planet to begin with, it sets boundaries to protect the person

but we go so long with repressing anger that it becoms natural, but its unhealthy. It truly takes awareness and structure. We hav a false view on anger and we try to predict how a confrotation will go. I know i do. All water signs are like earth signs they look for security. So they wll try and predict things and how they may go just to make a mask

it takes alot of grounding, you have to learn to react off of the mundande and not emotions b/c 12th house mars is very intense b/c it takesa deep deep understanding before you can express mars which is difficult

michel12

I have to agree, my mars is also in the 12h and thank god 4 that! i really think it has protected me.

zona967

Banned
My Mars is in the 11th but close to the 12th house cusp and with the 4-degree rule, it goes in the 12th. With some systems it goes directly in the 12th.

I also feel this 'capable of murder' thing if I let it all out. When I am extremely angry (and it has happened relatively few times) I feel an urgent need to remove myself from wherever I am staying and I usually walk it off. At one time I remember I had to go to another room and lie down on the bed, I was so pissed I felt I was gonna collapse on the floor and at that time it was too many things happening one after the other I couldn't handle them.

I think it is crucial that we try to choose our battles wisely. Obviously, we can't fight the whole world and with this placement there's an urgent need to let things go. I think we're on a lesson of having to let aggressiveness go but not at the expense of ditching self-assertion altogether.

Sport should be a very good outlet. If I don't do sport for prolonged periods of time I get very cranky. No one is saying 'ditch that Mars,' that's impossible, but we really have to find only the primest of outlets. At least we're not coarse raw people, those got out-of-date quite some time ago. :)

I've also found a tendency to act on unconscious (12th house) impulses (Mars). I think for the most part that works well for timing, like there's something inside which goes 'the time is now!' I can't rationalise it in any way, it's just a hunch that usually proves to be the right one. We might actually be plugged into a higher channel, who knows? :)