Indicators of Musical Preferences

Mist Knacker

What do you think would be indicators of musical tastes in a natal chart?

For me, I'm into electronic music.

The types of music I listen to are:
Euro-Dance, Hi-NRG
Techno
House
Freestyle
Electro-Funk, Electro-Rap, the kind of rap you'd hear from the 80's
Some disco and old school R&B

I also listen to video game music a lot from various video game systems like the Sega Genesis, regular Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Commodore 64, PlayStation 1 & 2, etc.

I would think that the planets Neptune and Venus would play the primary roles, as would their placements and aspects to other planets (e.g. Mars, Uranus). From what I've read, the planet Neptune rules music and film, and the planet Venus rules art and beauty.

For me, the Neptune aspects I have are:
Sun Trine Neptune
Venus Trine Neptune
Mercury Trine Neptune
Neptune Sextile Pluto (generational, so probably not relevant)

Other Venus aspects I have are:
Mercury Conjunction Venus
Venus Opposition Pluto

Sign placements for these above planets are:
Sun in Taurus
Mercury in Aries
Venus in Aries
Neptune in Capricorn
Pluto in Scorpio

Mercury, Neptune, and Pluto are all Rx.

Venus is in the 8th House (ruled by Mars), and Neptune is in the 4th House.

I have a strong Uranus since it's conjunct my IC, and it's trine my Moon.
Uranus is in Sagittarius,
and my Moon is in Aries.
Like Mercury, Neptune, and Pluto, Uranus is also Rx.

I read that Uranus rules electricity, technology, and is the progressive, revolutionary planet, so my strong Uranus may play a role in my preference for electronic-style of music, techno, which tends to be modern. Aquarius is over my 6th House cusp, so Uranus rules my 6th House.
Uranus is in my 3rd House.
It is Sesquiquadrate Venus and Semi-Square Neptune.

Additionally, I often like to play and listen to my music loud.

Mars is the planet of action and aggressiveness. This planet might could possibly play a role in my musical preferences as the type of music I listen to consists of lots of percussion and fast drum beats.
My Mars is in Scorpio and is also Rx and in the 3rd House.
It is Quincunx Venus.

5th House is said to be the house of entertainment and creativity, so music would likely fall into this category as well.
Capricorn is over the cusp of this house, so Saturn rules it. My Saturn is in Scorpio, Rx as well, and is at the end of my 2nd House, the last 1/4 degree of it. So, the planet is essentially in the 3rd house.

Saturn is aspected in the following way to Uranus and Neptune:
Saturn Semi-Sextile Uranus
Saturn Semi-Square Neptune

I have my natal chart attached if you'd like to take a more thorough look at the aspects as they may relate to my musical preferences.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_robby_coker.30297.20558.jpg
    astro_2gw_01_robby_coker.30297.20558.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

aquarius7000

Hi MK,

One look at your chart, and what jumped out at me rightaway are the eight-house energies and Pluto's oppositions to all those personal planets in there (Tau Sun-what you identify with; Aries-Merc-the mind; Aries-Venus-likes and dislikes). Need we look any further; well, what the heck, let's just continue. Your inner world, moods and emotions (Moon) are quite the nervous, even a bit off-beat (Ura) sort with that absolutely close Ura-Moon trine. Then there's that Uranus along with Mars sitting in your mind (3rd-house), as you yourself noted. All this accounts for your tastes in all that techno, electro-funk/ -rap, house, freestyle, etc music, and: "musical preferences as the type of music I listen to consists of lots of percussion and fast drum beats." These configs of Pluto & Uranus aspecting your 8th-house, mostly Arien personal planets seem to certainly overpower those 4th-house Nep connections.

Btw, you don't need to consider the signs of placement of the outer planets and the aspects between two outer planets, as this is so generational that it tells you almost nothing about your individual self. Look instead for connections from outer planets to inner/personal planets, like to Merc (mind), Venus (your tastes), and both the lights (the Sun & Moon); plus the houses they are placed in; as we have just done above.

Btw, I have a couple of Pluto aspects, too to my Moon, Mars, as well as a 3rd-house Uranus aspecting the 3rd house-ruler, Venus - also the planet of tastes. All this plus my Aqua Sun & Merc also make me like all that electro stuff, but also some jazz and blues, even soft and melancholy stuff, at times, due to my Venus-Moon sextile plus Venus and Jupiter in a wide conjunction in Pisces.

:)AQ7