Moon Conjunct the Ascendant

Çedyze

Hello! I'm Tiffany and this is my very first post here! I've been lurking for quite awhile, but have decided that at laaast I have a question.

My moon (in Libra) is conjunct the ascendant in either the 12th or first house... I do recall a website claiming that since the moon was in the very last stages of the 12th house, it was considered to be in the first.

My question is - moon conjunct the ascendant is supposed to give one the traits of Cancer, correct? When a fellow first encounters me, they should view me as instinctive and intuitive. These characteristics also apply to how I commence upon new activities. Well...I've been analyzing my behaviour, as has my sister, and I honestly believe that I initially interact with people in such a way as a Libran would.
Fundamentally, my question is - is my Libra ascendant completely squashed by the influence of the moon? Or does it still have a lot of influence on my outward character and appearance? Does my moon adopt some Cancerian traits as well? Or is it unaffected? I have read countless descriptions of a Libran moon, and it is entirely accurate in relation to my life. As are the descriptions of Libra Rising. It is the moon-conjunct the ascendant aspect that I'm having some trouble grasping.

Thank you in advance. :)

wilsontc

Staff member
Moon Conjunct the Ascendant, to Sonta

Sonta,

You have:

Libra (relationships) modifying Ascendant (self)

and

Libra (relationships) modifying Moon (home, also emotions) focused in the 12th house (spirituality) and the 1rst house (being)

indicating that you identify with relationships personally and you emotionally and spirtually connect in with relationships. This is the "astro-sentence" and it is the basis of astrology. To learn the astro-sentence, go to the link below...astro-sentencing is in Step 5. The basics of it are SIGN modifies PLANET focused on HOUSE.

The next step is to add in the aspect (Step 6 in the link below). So:

Libra (relationships) modifying Ascendant (self)

conjunct (energy is combined with)

Libra (relationships) modifying Moon (home, also emotions) focused in the 12th house (spirituality) and the 1rst house (being)

simply indicates you and your emotions combine together personally and spiritually when you relate to others.

Astro-sentencing,

Tim

johan

The ascendant
The ascendant is the gate of the soul to the environs.The physical constitution,the temperament,the way of acting(not the way of reacting,that’s the Moon).But not only the ascendant sign(rising sign) defines this,but also the sign in which the ruler of the sign of the ascendant is important.In some cases this last sign is more defining than the ascendant itself.One must not set decisive value on the sign and aspects of the ascendant.
How younger and more primitive a person is,how clearer the ascendant speaks.According as an own Ego develops,the sign of the midheaven gets more value.And the more the Sun in the radix,or by progression can come through the ascendant ,the Sun in its sign will dominate more.
The stronger the rising sign,the more resistance it will offer to the forces which want to come out,so the ascendant is like a sieve with little holes of their own model,through which these powers of the soul are squeezed .Everything comes out modified by the sign of the ascendant,in the immediate environment.What goes through the midheaven,comes into the big world,modified by the sign of the midheaven.
The signs of the ascendant and the midheaven do say less who someone is,but more how someone appears,which impression he makes,whether it is pleasant or regretful.Often a lot of someone’s real being and nature is kept hidden for the environment or the world,because the signs of the midheaven,ascendant and the signs of their rulers don’t let it pass unchanged.For example a positive Sun can be weakened through a negative rising sign and more or less appears as a caricature of himself..That part of the Ego,that cannot show himself,tries to find another way ,which isn’t always there.Thàn it realizes oneself in one’s soul-life itself.Like the lonesome,single-living officeworker,who realizes all his emotionality and his sense of adventures in his novels,writing them in his room.So the ascendant is mostly not a wide open door,through which the powers of the soul can rush through-often it is a grated window,through where the powers of the soul try to squeeze out with much effort.
In relation with the soul the ascendant sometimes gives the content of the soul,but mostly no more than a deceitful appearance.

Rising sign and ruler sign
Signs are ways-how,planets are powers,coloured by the signs.Is there no planet close to the ascendant,and the ruler of the ascendant makes an aspect to the ascendant,than the sign in which the ruler is probably works stronger than the rising sign.For example a Cancer-ascendant and a Moon(ruler of Cancer)in Aries square to the ascendant,gives a Moon that however weakened by Cancer,still the Aries-traits will show.So:fast spontaneous reactions,that sòmetimes are kept inside by shyness.Is the ascendant Aries and Mars is in Cancer,square to the ascendant,than almost nothing is shown of the vehemence of Aries,because Mars in Cancer is mostly kept inside and rarely burst out to the outside.Ofcourse one has to take into account the nature of the aspects.

Aspects to the Ascendant
How aspects work out to the ascendant,depends on so many factors,that it has little use to describe those aspects.
Ofcourse there are applying and separating aspects to the ascendant.The applying aspects come from the upper part of the chart and the separating from the lower part.Trines and sextiles are clearly noticeable,because they are in a related sign.With squares it is important which of the two factors is the strongest.Planets close to the ascendant are working always very noticeable.Up to about 8 degrees above the ascendant ànd in the sign of the ascendant,planets are still working out as a conjunction.Higher they are imprisoned in house 12.Planets in the first house ìn the sign of the ascendant are always noticeable.
What is said about the conjunction with the Moon and the ascendant is also applyable for other aspects with the ascendant,but ofcourse with due observance of the nature of the aspects.Difficult aspects in the upper part of the horoscope often give an overrating of these powers of those planets,in the lower part an underrating.Oppositions of planets to the ascendant are working out in the behaviour towards the partner,the opponent or the group with who one has to work.
Planets that make no aspects with the ascendant,can only work out through another planet,Moon or Sun,if they make an aspect with it and if this planet,Moon or Sun makes an aspect with the ascendant.

Moon close to the ascendant

The Moon close to the ascendant points to the emotional part of the soul,that loves to expose oneself to the impressions out of the environs,with the goal to respond to that.In a positive sign someone who is immediately there where something happens,wants to like to say his say,to be a part,to be involved.In a negative sign:someone whose emotions are waving with the weal and woe of his community,touched by what happens to house-mates and others.With infavourable aspects a good chance to get overstraint.In signs that fit to that:chatterboxes.They love to ensconce themselves.Look to which house the Moon rules.

Hi Tiffany.
For a reaction of your first remark,yes the Moon is conjunct your ascendant ànd in the same sign,so it works in your reactions and in your emotions as a Libra-Moon.It is not emprisoned into your twelfth house.

Regarding your second remark,the answer is no.It would not give you the traits of a Cancer.I hope this article out of a Dutch astrologybook will clarify some things for you(especially the example given).I think for the rest the article speaks for itself.

Arian Maverick

SontaSejou,

I have this same aspect in my natal chart, except that my moon is in the opposite sign (Aries) and conjuncts my Ascendant from the first house. Depending upon the tightness of the orb, this conjunction can dominate one's natal chart and can make one somewhat vulnerable emotionally, as their emotions are often a large part of the persona they project to others.

Here is a description from the main site:

The Moon conjunct the Ascendant shows that you have some emotional hang-ups. You want close, intimate contacts with people, but you tend to keep people at arm's length because you are afraid you will become obligated to them. This fear forces you to deny yourself many rewarding friendships in order to be safe from anything that might develop into an intimate contact. You are a mass of contradictions: making demands on people but complaining when they do the same to you; expecting others to make overtures to you and withdrawing when they do; hoping for warm social contacts, but severing ties before they can be established. When you do succeed in forming a close relationship, you rarely make any commitment of your affection until you have been assured that the feeling is mutual. Although you are highly imaginative, you react to stimulating people in a generally negative and critical way. You are so emotional that it is nearly impossible for you to make a fair evaluation of people's motives toward you. On the surface you are independent, but you yearn for a quieter role in which you can enjoy the comfort of knowing that someone really cares for you. This can only happen when you lower your defensive barriers and learn to compromise by meeting people halfway.

Arian Maverick

cossie

Hi Tiffany,
Thanks for this post.
My daughter also has a 12th house moon and ascendant in Libra,so I found the replys here interesting.
Unfortunately she is too young for me to ask her about how she feels it affects her!
Anyway nice to meet u.

elsa

My son has a Libra Moon rising and his face is super round, like the Moon. He is also constantly seeking relationship. For example, yesterday he told me was going to marry when he was 8 years old. He's currently 7.

And I was putting him to bed one night when he was 5. "I am tired of sleeping alone," he said. I just had to laugh.

Mary

I have Moon rising, too in Gemini. I have a child-like, rounded face... and I look a little bit younger than my real age, eventough I´m quite tall.

I approach to people as a Gemini, but my emotions are really hard to hide (my moon is actually in the 12th house, 2 degrees before the ASC), I am very moody and expressive....My moon is aspected by every planet in my chart (except for saturn)

Kisses

Mary

Draco

Hi,

I find it interesting that Elsa, Cossie and Mary mention the Moon rising and roundedness.

I have a niece who has the Moon on the Ascendant, and is in Cancer, so is powerful. Her Cancerian Moon rising seems to me to be very apt due to her appearance. Her face is also very rounded, and all her features are rounded. Her complexion is very pale, and her skin very soft and clear. In fact, before I ever looked at her chart I always thought that she looked very 'mooney'. Her Moon rising in Cancer seems to explain this.

When considering the Moon, don't overlook it's phase - very important.

Arian Maverick

In addition to roundness of the face, I believe the Moon's conjunction to the Ascendant also bestows a certain roundness to the body, especially in women. I consider this aspect in my own natal chart to be the indicator of my feminine, decidedly non-Arian body type.

I have always been extremely sensative, crying at the slightest impetuous during my childhood--I literarly cried over spilled milk in the first grade! Even when I am not upset, my emotions are a huge part of how I view myself the world. I love reading books and online fanfiction for this reason, and even my writing has a certain flowing, emotional quality. Sometimes I believe myself incapable of writing newspaper articles, summaries, and other kinds of factual writing because I cannot separate myself emotionally from any topic other than the dryest of historical facts and scientific ideas. I suppose this is quite an usual characteristic of an individual who also prides herself on her intellect, but there you are.

As my signature reads:

"In fact I think that Aries often brazen behavior relates to underlying Piscean sensitivity, which he/she tries to hide by being rather brash, just as all of us try to hide our vulnerable side." - Marion March

Arian Maverick

freedomlover

I have a male friend who is a Cancer with an Aries AC. He has a Moon/Eros conjunction directly on his AC in Aries. Any thoughts as to how this would play out?

Sag Moon

SontaSejou said:
Hello! I'm Tiffany and this is my very first post here! I've been lurking for quite awhile, but have decided that at laaast I have a question.

My moon (in Libra) is conjunct the ascendant in either the 12th or first house... I do recall a website claiming that since the moon was in the very last stages of the 12th house, it was considered to be in the first.

My question is - moon conjunct the ascendant is supposed to give one the traits of Cancer, correct? When a fellow first encounters me, they should view me as instinctive and intuitive. These characteristics also apply to how I commence upon new activities. Well...I've been analyzing my behaviour, as has my sister, and I honestly believe that I initially interact with people in such a way as a Libran would.
Fundamentally, my question is - is my Libra ascendant completely squashed by the influence of the moon? Or does it still have a lot of influence on my outward character and appearance? Does my moon adopt some Cancerian traits as well? Or is it unaffected? I have read countless descriptions of a Libran moon, and it is entirely accurate in relation to my life. As are the descriptions of Libra Rising. It is the moon-conjunct the ascendant aspect that I'm having some trouble grasping.

Thank you in advance. :)

I will not get to much into this,but to tell you that the last of the 12th is a very active point in any chart. Just before reaching the first any planet is energized as to show the outer world that aspect of a persons being to express.

My rule is that any planet that is 6Deg. short of going into the next house will take on the quality of both houses.One can use the Gauquelin Sectors to see what planets are highly active also.

Çedyze

Very strange...I always thought I had such a strong 12th house influence on my Libra moon...on second thought, a mixture of the two contrary houses is probably more accurate in describing myself. In private I am very easily brought to tears (only when animals are involved though...I love animals), in public I am extremely stoic - no emotions allowed!

As a side note, my face is really very angular, not round! I am also naturally very tall and slender...I look like an elf! :p

Last edited:

JayM

Anything on your AC will affect your self image and with a libran moon there means that you might be very emotional about relationships or other social experiences (a libran moon I have read just want to experience things) that you begin. Moon in the first might mean that you are sensitive and emotional about your body and may not react very well to people making fun of you, so stick up for yourself! I hope you found this useful :) .

My moon and my saturn both square my AC :( so I dont personally know alot about moon in the first.

Althought the moon is naturally ruled by cancer that doesn't have to mean that there are cancer specific traits affecting your AC

Last edited:

Çedyze

Cap,

Yep, I am absolutely positive... birth chart says 12:25 (It wasn't specified AM or PM, but I'm sure that it would have said 0:25 if I had been born in the morning, as that is without exception the hospital's policy; I've seen many examples, including all 3 of my sisters)...also, my mother remembers it being "around noon" and my father recalls the time as being 12:30, during the day - the funny thing is, since they have three other kids, they're not sure if it was me or not, lol - but mine is the only time that fits, as my sisters were all born between 1 AM and 5 AM. So 12.25 PM is official, and I think my chart is bang-on.

I was the only one of their three daughters born during day hours, and I'm the only one without a sunny disposition - bizarre, eh? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Squapius

Banned
Hi everyone! :]

SontaSejou said:
Very strange...I always thought I had such a strong 12th house influence on my Libra moon...on second thought, a mixture of the two contrary houses is probably more accurate in describing myself. In private I am very easily brought to tears (only when animals are involved though...I love animals), in public I am extremely stoic - no emotions allowed!

As a side note, my face is really very angular, not round! I am also naturally very tall and slender...I look like an elf! :p

Hello Sonta.
Hours ago I was viewing the ascendant and physical appearence thread and I read a post of a person that said she had libra rising, a planet conjuncted to the ascendant and the rest of the planets also placed in the said house but in scorpio. I checked out again, but that person wasn´t you. I had a confusion. Maybe the reason why you don´t have rounded face or a moonish appearence it´s because your moon is not inside but conjunct your ASC and because it could be that you had another planets placed in the first house or aspects directed to this point like the other member.
That´s why I would love to see your entire chart, and also because I find you very interesting and intelligent.
Please, can you post it? If you can´t post the image, then you can writte the placements.

And welcome to the forum! ^^

Cossie said:
Lol,my daughter also has the round moon face and tells me she is going to marry Harry Potter!

How cute x3

Yoi

I have my Moon in my 1st house. It is not conjunct the ascendant but it is a singleton (only planet on left part of chart).

Both my Moon and the Asc are Gemini. Here is how I interpret it.

With the Moon in the 1st house esp. if conjunct the Asc then your emotion are clear for people to read. You don't or can't hide your emotions. Personally I don't think it is right to say that Moon in 1st house give characteristics of Cancer. It's not really the same thing.

I have both the Moon and Asc in Gemini. This means I show my emotions by talking - a lot. I also appear nervous and fidgety.

Since your Asc and Moon in Libra then it means you show your emotions by using the Libra energy which is that of relationships and making careful judgments.

Both Gemini and Libra are air signs and involve mental energy. However Libra is cardinal air and hence probably involves a lot less talking and nervousness and a lot more doing and action, so is probably more stable.

If you say had a Libran Moon in the 4th house you may feel the same Libran energies but it would not be so up-front-and-centre as a Libran Moon in the 1st house.

Çedyze

Thank you for your welcome Squapius. :)

This is my chart:

chartox1.png

elsa said:
My son has a Libra Moon rising and his face is super round, like the Moon. He is also constantly seeking relationship. For example, yesterday he told me was going to marry when he was 8 years old. He's currently 7.

And I was putting him to bed one night when he was 5. "I am tired of sleeping alone," he said. I just had to laugh.
:eek:Sweet!

/JJ, 4 Planets in Aquarius.

Last edited: