Intercepted and Duplicated signs

R4VEN

This discussion was begun on another thread - it may have been one on Chiron, I'm not sure - but for me, it needs to have a thread of its own. On this other thread EJ53 said something like: (and pardon me if I paraphrase badly, and miss the point entirely...)

When signs are intercepted, they have a need for the native to work on them and `bring them - and any planets in these signs - out into the open'; to be expressed. This is not usually possible until the issues represented by the duplicated signs - and houses - are resolved and brought into balance.

Now I don't have any intercepted signs on my natal chart, but I thought I'd use the chart of astrologer, teacher and writer, Barbara Hand Clow - and whilst I don't have her express permission to chat here about her chart, it is openly displayed in her book on Chiron, which I have open on the desk next to me as I write this.....

Her intercepted signs are Sag (in 4th) and Gemini (10th), along with - also in the 10th house, Saturn conj Uranus in Gem, and moon in Gemini. As a prominent writer and teacher, it seems obvious to me that she's expressing that Gemini intercepted sign, and her Saturn, Uranus conj gives her that ability to use her naturally occurring intuition to put complex and sometimes very original ideas into concrete form.
Sag intercepted in the 4th - she and husband, Gerry have moved to Canada from US - not sure if that's relevant, but sounds Sagittarian to me!

The duplicated signs are Aquarius & Leo, on 6th, 7th & 12th, 1st. Significant in those houses are her sun conj south node close to the 7th house cusp, and Chiron conj north node on her Asc - ASC is 29 deg Leo. This describes one who has to step out of the comfort zone and declare herself and her intentions in a public way - teaching, writing, running workshops. Her moon in Gemini is also in sextile to the conjunction on her ASC.

As one who has read all her books (but one) I can say that she's had to progressively do all the above. It's as though as she goes out on one limb, the next one appears for her. She's a very interesting, but at times quite way-out, writer.
She's also experienced personal pain and struggle, as 2 of her 4 children have died - one by accident, and the other through suicide.

Last edited:

flea

I have just been reading EJ's comments on the chiron thread. She mention's Starlink's comment about the issues coming to light when the signs reach the progressed angles. (I apologise if I am misquoting).

Anyway, my big awakening started not long after I started studying astrology, but not before I learnt the importance of transits especially pluto going over my sun. BANG!!!!

Anyway I have just checked and my progressed MC moved into Aries (one of my intercepted sign) about a year after this.... and my career started making radiccal changes, i response to my own internal radical changes.

I am not sure how to comment on BHC's chart, but I relate strongly to the impact of intercepted and duplicated signs. As usual I start my understanding through my own chart. maybe I will get sme insights into how BHC interceptions have contributed to our general understanding of the change of ages from pisces to aquarius. As this is where I think she has a real gift.

Anyway Cancer Capricorn are my duplicated signs and mars opp moon indicate a lack of balance here. Though both planets are well placed. So I stope focusing so much on my career..... and low and behold my health gets better. It needed to!! Work and career needs against needs of home and my deepest self. I have quite a knack of disappearing into the deepest self now, and am very loathe to ever look at fulltime work for someone else. I just do not see how it is sustaining for anyone from my own experiences. I have learned to take time to myself.

I am writing this as chiron conjuncts my MC... funny that.

So Aries Libra intercepted, with 1 deg libra sun/moon midpoint opp my dad's sun. My dad focused so much on career he never had enough energy to develop a relationship with his offspring. Maybe the outer balance of home...social life/career is related to the balance of self versus others, with a different focus.

Oh I also forgot to mention, just as chrion is on one intercepted house cusp, Pluto conj Uranus is on the other intercepted house cusp. You dont get much more focus that that i think, both sq my sun. No planets in Aries or Libra tho.

I am a much more visual pattern person... so difficult for me to interpret BHC... is it possible to post the chart?

FleaXXX

iwonder

I have two intercepted pairs - Virgo/Pisces and Capricorn/Cancer. On the other hand, Sagittarius and Gemini share 6 cusps (that's half of the chart, I just realized!)

Anyway, with Virgo Sun, I don't feel the need to develop my Virgo side. I shine as one sometimes more than I care to.

But with the others... I don't know, especially about Pisces and Cancer. How would that need manifest itself?

R4VEN

iwonder said:
I have two intercepted pairs - Virgo/Pisces and Capricorn/Cancer. On the other hand, Sagittarius and Gemini share 6 cusps (that's half of the chart, I just realized!)

Anyway, with Virgo Sun, I don't feel the need to develop my Virgo side. I shine as one sometimes more than I care to.

But with the others... I don't know, especially about Pisces and Cancer. How would that need manifest itself?

I'd be really interested to see your chart - can you post it?

And I'd like some more skilled astrologers than me to comment upon it.

EJ53

Banned
Flea said:
I am a much more visual pattern person... so difficult for me to interpret BHC... is it possible to post the chart?

The Placidus chart of BHC is shown below. Here, BHC's Intercepted Signs are Cancer/Capricorn in 11th/5th house.

R4VEN refers to BHC's Koch chart though - where the Intercepted Signs are Gemini/Sagittarius in 10th/4th house.

Both charts have the same duplicated houses - 6/7 (Aquarius) and 12/1 (Leo).

6409497d1a1f061b3.jpg

Last edited:

EJ53

Banned
R4VEN said:
When signs are intercepted, they have a need for the native to work on them and `bring them - and any planets in these signs - out into the open'; to be expressed. This is not usually possible until the issues represented by the duplicated signs - and houses - are resolved and brought into balance.

Assuming this "formula" works for Barbara Hand Chow (BHC), we'd be saying that an issue regarding the 6/12 house axis was adversely affecting the 7/1 house axis - and had to be resolved/balanced before she could benefit fully from the positive characteristics of the Intercepted Signs (and any planets within them).

Interestingly then, BHC says on page 40 of her book Chiron "the 6th house is the way or method to awareness" - and on page 25, she states "Since I began to work with Chiron, my awareness about how to live has gone through a complete revolution".

So, whilst we do not know the details, it does indeed appear that BHC experienced a significant change of her 6th house attitude/values on her way to achieving success (Intercepted Placidus Capricorn and Koch 10th) through writing (Intercepted Koch Gemini and Placidus 5th) about Chiron (Intercepted Saturn/Uranus) - bringing it to the attention of the masses (Intercepted Moon) through her subconscious drive (Intercepted Mars/Mercury/Cancer) to be a spiritual teacher (Intercepted Jupiter/Sagittarius).

And, it may be worth noting here that the Sign Interceptions revealed by both house systems appear to have worked in tandem rather than independently of each other. (New to me as, previously, I've only used Placidus when looking at Interceptions.)

EJ:)

flea

I can see the focus on 6th 12th and leo and aquarius. Very much seems to be of the times. sun in 6th can give an over focus on the other, a negation of self needs sometimes. Chiron NN conjunction show a working towards wound healing throughout life as a goal.... but maybe this gets misplaced early on..... leading to an imbalance in the self and other.

So started back with the sun in 6th.... there is a wounding on a basis spiritual level and impacts the relationship with self. This creates a reworking of how sun in 6th works. Learning to love self .... instead of loving others in place of self.

There is a big drive for uncovering hidden aspects of self in pluto and nn and chiron in 12th opp sun in 6th. Maybe the ultimate lesson of life is about self love. When we truely learn to love self.... then the world that gets reflected back to us goes through a huge transformation. Our relationships with others reflect a person in love with themselves (in a really good way).

Then you come to the aspects of cancer and capricorn in 5th and 11th. What resultantly gets created that expresses a gift.

I am not sure if I see this in the story yet....maybe it is one of a much more personal story that will not be known publically.... Suppose this is the limit of looking at others in the public eye.... you only get to see the stuff in the public arena.

FleaXXX

R4VEN

EJ53 said:
[/color]

Assuming this "formula" works for Barbara Hand Chow (BHC), we'd be saying that an issue regarding the 6/12 house axis was adversely affecting the 7/1 house axis - and had to be resolved/balanced before she could benefit fully from the positive characteristics of the Intercepted Signs (and any planets within them).

Interestingly then, BHC says on page 40 of her book Chiron "the 6th house is the way or method to awareness" - and on page 25, she states "Since I began to work with Chiron, my awareness about how to live has gone through a complete revolution".

So, whilst we do not know the details, it does indeed appear that BHC experienced a significant change of her 6th house attitude/values on her way to achieving success (Intercepted Placidus Capricorn and Koch 10th) through writing (Intercepted Koch Gemini and Placidus 5th) about Chiron (Intercepted Saturn/Uranus) - bringing it to the attention of the masses (Intercepted Moon) through her subconscious drive (Intercepted Mars/Mercury/Cancer) to be a spiritual teacher (Intercepted Jupiter/Sagittarius).

And, it may be worth noting here that the Sign Interceptions revealed by both house systems appear to have worked in tandem rather than independently of each other. (New to me as, previously, I've only used Placidus when looking at Interceptions.)

Yes, I'd agree with what you say here - and you've researched more thoroughly than I!!

BHC also has a belief that Chiron rulership is Virgo/6th house, so that ties in with her duplicated houses. There are other suggestions for Chiron rulership out there - eg. Sagittarius, due to the centaur symbolism. I'm with BHC, in that I find those with Chiron in the 6th - in particular - to have a more intense healing journey than most.

Her NN conj Chiron and ASC in Leo is interesting also. Billy Connolly, born later in 1942, also has Chiron & NN very closely conj in Leo in 11th, and his stand-up comedy routines, particularly in the late 80's when he was exploring his childhood, were very cathartic for he and many in his audiences.
But I digress, as he has no intercepted signs................... (focus, R4VEN, focus...)

MTTY05

I'll chime in since I've got an interception that I've been researching recently in my astro studies.

Aquarius is intercepted in my 1st, with Leo intercepted in the 7th house. I guess the Aquarius/1st house int. means that I have problems presenting myself differently than others, but personally, I don't feel that's the case at all as I am very unique compared to other people. Maybe my Uranus qualities are easily accessed because it's in the 11th house which happens to be a duplicated house.

And I assume that the Leo/7th interception means that I have problems taking center stage and gaining recognition in social relationships, which is something I can totally relate to. As a matter of fact, I really don't feel any Leo qualities at all in any sphere of my life. However, my Moon progressed into Leo last month, so I'll see how that goes.;)

So there is my amateurish astrology interpretation! Hope it's not too off the wall, ha!

And, I read somewhere that a 7th house interception can mean 2 marriages. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I thought it was interesting.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi,
I'm currently working on a natal chart that contains intercepted houses, but my understanding of the term *intercepted houses* is that a whole sign needs to be contained within that house. For example if you had aries on the ascendant and all of Taurus contained within that house and Gemini on the cusp of the next house, you'd say that the first house was ruled by mars and intercepted by Venus. If it's simply a case of another sign starting in the house but *finishing* in the next house, you'd say the house was *co-ruled* rather than *intercepted*.
Is that correct?
An intercepted house may be described as being on a certain journey and being forced to take a detour.One astrologer likened it to being in a certain room and having to go into another room, before proceeding with one's original intentions.I always find true interceptions in a chart very interesting but hard to delineate.
Cheers,
lillyjgc

iwonder

R4VEN said:
I'd be really interested to see your chart - can you post it?

And I'd like some more skilled astrologers than me to comment upon it.
Ok. Here it is.

Seems like my 5/11 and 6/12 issues adversly affect my 1/7 and 2/8 matters and don't let me express positive traits of Capricorn (pursuing goals), Cancer (nurturing others), Virgo (being organized and diligent), Pisces (intuitive, altruistic). Those 5/11 and 6/12 issues are probably being too scatered and ungrounded (Sagittarius) and overwhelmed by abundance of everchanging details (Gemini).

But on the other hand, isn't interception of Virgo/Pisces somewhat compensated by 6/12 axis being in duplicated signs?

But signs and houses are not the same... I am confused.

Attachments

• mychart-astro.gif
    mychart-astro.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 50

natasa812

Dear EJ, R4VEN, Flea and everyone, this is the 3o time I am posting (probably because of this Mercury r confusion, but a similar subject is on another tread, anyway...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea
might be better to just post your chart Natasa, tere seems to be a misunderstanding of intercepted houses. My chart is in a link at the bottom. I have aries and libra intercepted (wholly within) in houses 5 and 11. The Cancer is on the cusp of both 2nd and 3rd house, and capricaorn on the cupsp of both the 8th and 9th houses....these are my duplicated houses. Check out my chart and and you might be able to see where your duplicated signs on the house cusps are.

FleaXXX

Very useful.
A help comming from colleague (I see Sun in Sagittarius). Now I understand the difference between intercepted and duplicated. So, my intercepted are: the Leo in 6th and the Aquarius in 12th. And duplicated are: the 5th and the 6th with Cancer on the cusp. I will also post a chart.
Thank you, thank you
Natasa (Sagittarius / Pisces)

The way I see my 6o intercepted is: as Lillygs wrote above, I feel also that intercepted means ``starting`` something ``under`` the rulership of the planet (the Moon in my case - trines Venus) and finishing it in another way. For example, whan I was younger, I studed piano, graphic art and for many years just ``trying`` to do something with those diploma. Since the 6o house ``ends`` in Virgo, ruled by Mercury and as I read somwhere that planets ``above`` DC are describing us after 30, here I am, using that Mercury in my every day job (translating), Mercury trines Moon, in conj. with Jupiter and with MC havin also Sun in conj. with MC and Jupiter (mostly all of them in my 10o and 11o).
This is the way that I can say that ``intercepted`` aplyes practicaly in my life. Something that started with art and grew up in something more practical like words and using what is given to me by birth in my natal.
Now, my 12 is also intercepted - starts in Capricorn ends in Pisces - while years are passing, I have learned to trust my intuition more (which, as a friend of mine says, in east is a valuable information - not like here in the western world we live in). Now, my Uranus also trines Pluto and this is how I explain my interest about astrology starting at this age.
Hope that this is a practilcal example and that it helps to put some ``light`` on intercepted issue.
Thank you again for all of your help (fire and none fire signs - I wrote this since 2 of fire signs - Leo and Sagittarius answered to me about something I did not know).
Natasa

natasa812

Confusedpisces said:
I'm a Pisces and as such I am teh confused one :D. What is an "intercepted or a duplicated" sign?

Since I asked the same question, our dear friend Flea was so kind to answer, here it is (and you can see a chart - I mean very practical - not just talking about it but you will have a ``visual`` perception in here)

Re: Ways to heal Chiron wounds
might be better to just post your chart Natasa, tere seems to be a misunderstanding of intercepted houses. My chart is in a link at the bottom. I have aries and libra intercepted (wholly within) in houses 5 and 11. The Cancer is on the cusp of both 2nd and 3rd house, and capricaorn on the cupsp of both the 8th and 9th houses....these are my duplicated houses. Check out my chart and and you might be able to see where your duplicated signs on the house cusps are.

FleaXXX

By the way, I am Sag. / Pisces
Natasa

EJ53

Banned
lillyjgc said:
....my understanding of the term *intercepted houses* is that a whole sign needs to be contained within that house.......If it's simply a case of another sign starting in the house but *finishing* in the next house, you'd say the house was *co-ruled* rather than *intercepted*....Is that correct?

Correct Lilly...........but, we are using the term "Intercepted Signs" where a whole sign is contained within a house.........and "Duplicated Houses" where the sign on house cusps is duplicated. So, only the terminology is different - there is no confusion between intercepted and co-ruled houses.

MTTY05 said:
Aquarius is intercepted in my 1st, with Leo intercepted in the 7th house. I guess the Aquarius/1st house int. means that I have problems presenting myself differently than others, but personally, I don't feel that's the case at all as I am very unique compared to other people. Maybe my Uranus qualities are easily accessed because it's in the 11th house which happens to be a duplicated house.

And I assume that the Leo/7th interception means that I have problems taking center stage and gaining recognition in social relationships, which is something I can totally relate to. As a matter of fact, I really don't feel any Leo qualities at all in any sphere of my life.

Maybe the Leo/Aquarius interceptions point to the gift of "personal power through self-expression in groups" - which cannot be realised until you overcome an "attitude problem" in 5/11 house axis activities, which adversely affects the 6/12 house axis of service. My guess is that you are "proud to be different" rather than "aware of the unique contribution you can make to the group". So, when you become focused upon the latter rather than the former, others will find it easier to work with you - enabling you to exploit fully your personal power/creativity for the benefit of all. (Note how the final objective is to become an individual with a unique contribution to make to society - an Aquarian Age "requirement".)

But I'm guessing from a cold "reading" here - only you can work out what the interceptions actually mean.

Last edited:

The_Sundance_Kid

I think duplicated signs as a whole give significance to the planet which rules the sign, as this planet will be of elevated dignity: ruling more of the chart.

I have Taurus duplicated over the 6th and 7th houses. Coupled with a Libra 11th, and Venus in the 12th conjunct the 12th ruler, Venus therefore rules over a third of the chart.

Contrast this to an intercepted sign, which, I do not think co-rules the house, but is rather frustrated within the confines of one house. While the normal process of signs and houses leads to an overlap and progression from sign to house to sign here that process is skipped. So we find that the planet ruling the intercepted sign has less dignity- it rules over less houses. But the sign itself becomes 'pure' as it is expressed only through this house. And it attracts attention as it becomes a sore thumb as it were, a sign stuck in a house ruled over by a foreign planet. So I think the sign, and any planets therein become powerful by their frustration.

The_Sundance_Kid

Example of my chart:

Aquarius is frustrated in the 3rd house. And so Leo is frustrated in the 9th house.

Uranus and the sun have no direct rulership over a house. This makes them like planets in exile. Meanwhile Aquarius and Leo find themselves in houses ruled by Saturn and the moon. So I might think that in the chart overall Saturn and the moon show more dominant traits, but in the area of the 3rd and 9th houses there is an intense passion in a Uranian and Solar form.

In this particular example, we must also note these additional factors:

Saturn used to rule Aquarius, so there is a natural relationship. This lessens the frustration somewhat. Uranus must work with Saturn. This is an important lesson for the individual (me!). Mars is also in Aquarius, and so his energies, even more potently erratic as frustrated, and doubly so as an exiled ruler of my Scorpio stellium, must be whipped into line with Saturn for it to work well and for it to harness it's Uranian potential.

The sun, by being frustrated in the 9th, means that the 9th house is entirely dominated by both luminaries. Given that they only rule one sign in the first place, this adds a purity and importance to this house even though it is empty. Additionally the sun and moon are in angular houses (1st and 7th), so the 9th house is a meeting and integration focal point between the self and others.

This is how I would go about interpreting these types of chart patterns, just my two cents worth :)

iwonder

EJ53 said:
[/color]

EJ, why 7/1 house axis was adversely affected? Wouldn't it the one with intercepted signs - 5/11?