Books for beginners

Hi so as a young individual, you would think i would benefit more from information on the internet rather than anything of physical matter. Nevertheless, i find myself reaching for books rather than websites so recommendations are highly appreciated.

ps. keep in mind im quite young and a beginner to all this so my language and vocabulary is not that advanced. In other words, keep it simple

Osamenor

Staff member
In my opinion, the best astrology book for beginners is The Inner Sky by Steven Forrest. He uses clear and simple language, gives good explanations, and provides a good way to tie the various chart bits together that make sense. It's what I started with.

AppLeo

"The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need" by Woolfolk is a good place to start.

It's definitely not the only astrology book you need though.

"Astrology Decoded" by Sue Farebrother is another good beginner astrology book.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best astrology book for beginners is The Inner Sky by Steven Forrest. He uses clear and simple language, gives good explanations, and provides a good way to tie the various chart bits together that make sense. It's what I started with.

Thank you! i will definitely be checking your recommendation out

"The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need" by Woolfolk is a good place to start.

It's definitely not the only astrology book you need though.

"Astrology Decoded" by Sue Farebrother is another good beginner astrology book.

Thank you for your recommendations, they sound like great choices and i will definitely be getting the first one :)

Hi osamenor,
I am wondering if you are referring to the older, The Inner Sky: The Dynamic New Astrology For Everyone (1984) or The Inner Sky: How To Make Wiser Choices For A More Fulfilling Life (1989)? Thanks!

JUPITERASC

Although it is not a course
Introductions to Traditional Astrology: Abu Ma'shar & al-Qabisi
is an invaluable reference and resource guide
for students of all levels

whether working solo
or taking a course

whether fully traditional
or a curious student of modern astrology :smile:

It is suitable for Hellenistic, Medieval, Renaissance
and 17th Century astrology alike.

Preview the Table of Contents

Osamenor

Staff member
Hi osamenor,
I am wondering if you are referring to the older, The Inner Sky: The Dynamic New Astrology For Everyone (1984) or The Inner Sky: How To Make Wiser Choices For A More Fulfilling Life (1989)? Thanks!

I wasn't aware it had any subtitles! Are they two editions of the same book? If they are, either one would do.

waybread

Hi osamenor,

I believe it's pretty much the same book, with a different cover.

I highly recommend this book, as well as Robert Hand, Planets in Youth.

Although there is a lot of free stuff available on the Internet, a lot of it is pretty pop-schlock. Forrest takes a dynamic approach to the horoscope, vs. seeing it as a list of static personality traits. Hand's book is good for all ages, and I think it's about the best "cookbook" out there, with an emphasis on planets in aspect.

I believe it's pretty much the same book, with a different cover.

I highly recommend this book, as well as Robert Hand, Planets in Youth.

Although there is a lot of free stuff available on the Internet, a lot of it is pretty pop-schlock. Forrest takes a dynamic approach to the horoscope, vs. seeing it as a list of static personality traits. Hand's book is good for all ages, and I think it's about the best "cookbook" out there, with an emphasis on planets in aspect.

I am very excited to get the Steven Forrest book. Obviously I am not the first to realize he is a genius. I need to really solidify my understanding in all areas of astrology, so Hands' book will be considered also. I am also thinking about picking up the Astrology Realized by Nadiya Shah. I watch her educational videos on YouTube and she just resonates with me. Any thoughts anyone?

rojochispa

My friend David Roell had a list of the top 10 books that is worth looking over:

http://www.astroamerica.com/topten.html

I bought my first astrology book at Fritzi's Metaphysical Townhall Bookshop in San Francisco in 1963. That was George's A to Z Horoscope Maker. Actually I bought it for ex who was interested in astrology. Divorced her, kept the book, still have it. Learned how to cast a chart with paper and pencil. software must easier now.

If you are truly serious about astrology I can think of no better book than Noel Tyl's, Holistic Astrology, The Analysis of Inner and Outer Environments, published in 1980, do a used book search, well worth the reading if you are serious.

Senecar

Although it is not a course
Introductions to Traditional Astrology: Abu Ma'shar & al-Qabisi
is an invaluable reference and resource guide
for students of all levels

whether working solo
or taking a course

whether fully traditional
or a curious student of modern astrology :smile:

It is suitable for Hellenistic, Medieval, Renaissance
and 17th Century astrology alike.

Preview the Table of Contents

Is this book available for FREE download PDF? Or must be purchased?