Personality change with progressions

holly

Forgive me for asking for personal advice, but this is something that has been a mystery to me for a very long time.

The year I started high school, my personality changed dramatically. I went from being a carefree, outgoing, sociable person with a large group of friends and bullet-proof self esteem, to a shy, withdrawn, self-defeating person. I suffered depression throughout my teenage years, withdrew from friends and became really self concious and insecure.

Looking at my progressed chart for 1997, the year I started high school, a couple of things stand out.

Venus and Mars both occupy 29 degrees Pisces, ready to make the leap into Aries. Mercury has just entered Aquarius at 0 degrees.

To me, these two changes would signify my personality changing from introverted to extroverted and not the other way around. Wouldn't a Venus-Mars conjunction in Aries make me more self confident, not less? And wouldn't Mercury in Aquarius make me more sociable?

Any suggestions are certainly appreciated! :) I'd really like to figure this out!

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
transits, to holly

holly,

Also make sure you look at transits (moving planets in the sky) in addition to progressions. One major transit everyone goes through is the Saturn (duty) opposition around age 14. This is when we start to feel authority opposing us and what we want to do. It is the beginning of ourselves wanting to be our own boss and affects different people different ways, depending on their birth chart.

In transit,

Tim

holly

Thank you both for the help. I was 12 years old when I started high school (I'm an Australian, this isn't unusual) so my Saturn opposition was a couple of years away.

Tim,

Would a transit indicate permanent, dramatic change?

I believe at around that time transiting Neptune conjunct the natal Sun, as did transiting Uranus. Neptune-Sun suggests a loss of identity, and Uranus-Sun suggests a complete overhaul of indentity. But once these transits had passed, shouldn't I have returned to "normal"?

Jagetoile,

That's a very disappointing thought. I always held up the image of that past self as the REAL me, and entertained thoughts that if only I could get that girl back... I never once considered that this personality is actually who I am and not an unfortunate plague I try to shake off to free the real me.

wilsontc

Staff member
transits and change, to holly

holly,

You asked:
Would a transit indicate permanent, dramatic change?

Yes, a transit to a birth planet can deeply affect that birth planet so that we use the energy in a completely different way after the transit is over. As you mentioned a transit of Uranus (friends, also restructuring) our Sun (self-expression, also ego) can restructure our ego in a completely new way...that lasts the rest of our life. It is all about learning, developing, and growing from the experiences around us (i.e., our transits).

Transiting,

Tim

Last edited:

Sag Moon

The greatest impact I have is when it hits the angles.

Me=Asc is an example by Secondary Progression.

Having it on the Cancer asc I came out of my shell .More outgoing!

holly

Thanks Tim. :)

jagetoile said:
it is especially important to recognize the bearing of collective unconscious on one's Sun so that the person doesn't become the scapegoat of the collective of unconscious. a plutonian Sun denotes enormous power but requires the good mastery of its power, and it's no disappointment to look inside of oneself to recognize how. best, Jag

Thanks for taking the time to write back to me, there is a lot of truth in what you have said and nobody has ever put it quite like that before.

In this final paragraph in particular, your words have given me a lot to think about. I've often felt that I carry the guilt for all that is bad in society and feel personally to blame for any human suffering. I always attributed this to my Aquarian Sun, who hopes to see everybody given everything they need to live a life of full self expression and reach their own potentials. It pains me deeply to know that there are homeless on the streets, sick kids that can't get medical care, families without food, and if I didn't consciously "switch off" from all of that, I would drown in depression. It saps the life out of me. I feel like I don't want all the good things in my life if every human can't have the same. (Again, I attributed this to Aquarius energy.)

jagetoile said:
a plutonian Sun denotes enormous power but requires the good mastery of its power, and it's no disappointment to look inside of oneself to recognize how. best, Jag

I especially need to thank you for opening my eyes to this gift. In the time it has taken me to respond, I have given this in particular much thought, and decided that if it is true that I do hold enormous personal power, I must make some really intelligent choices on how I am going to integrate that into my life and personality.

I can pick up on other's moods and energies really easily, and often feel overwhelmed, like their energy is overpowering mine. If it is true that I have strong power of my own, perhaps I can use it to steady myself and not be over powered by others. Kind of like a rock in a lake - the water can rush over me and past me but it will not move me. Then perhaps I could influence the moods and energies of others. It is my hope, that in my presence people (even strangers) will feel welcome, accepted, comfortable, and at ease. By using my power, I could take their energy and change it, not be overpowered by it.

Thanks for your help.

windwispers

holly,
your teenage experience was so much like mine that whilst reading your posts i thought that i was reading about myself.
around 14 years old i went through something very similar to what you went through; i found myself becoming much more introverted, in turmoil and depressed about the pain of the world.. no matter how dramatic that may sound. everything to me felt wrong, and i started to slide down into a hole of darkness, which i remained in for three years. i began questioning everything anyone ever told me about life, and wondering whether modern society really had the answers to health and happiness and fullfillment. i felt undeserving of anything. at each waking moment i knew someone else somewhere else on the earth was suffering and being unfairly treated, and this would give me greif. i felt like no one could give me the answers i was looking for, and i was right.. i had to keep searching within myself.
it is now almost four years later. i have made it through the trial set before me, though i am still healing. i think that these things come into our lives so that we can see what is truly important; something that my teacher once told me is that we are sloughing off the layers of ourselves that we recognize are not part of who we are and who we want to be.
through it all i have found the purpose of my life and what i am meant to do with my time here, or at least an idea of what i am meant to do. humanitarian pursuits may fullfill the deep sadness you have about the earth and her people. knowing that you are making some sort of difference will help alleviate some of the weight that you carry. perhaps helping animals and the environment may be something you are interested in.
whatever it is you are looking for i hope you find it, that is if you already haven't :] i hope that we can talk sometime.. we seem to have alot in common.
peace-
olivia

mdinaz

You didn't have a chart posted, but just curious - how did you ASC move from the natal to progressed chart (secondary prog or Solar Arc prog)? How about your Sun also? By the time I was 14, not only was Saturn working on its first opposition, but it was square my SA progressed Mercury and transiting Uranus was square the progressed Moon. So look at those progression vs transiting aspects also.

windwispers

hello mdinaz,
sorry for not replying sooner, i had forgotten that i had posted here.
this is my natal chart:
chart2.gif

here it is simplified:
chart.gif

and this is my progressed chart (not for todays date, but starting from my upcoming birthday):

progressedchart.gif