Measuring aspects

Niplan

Banned
If i am calculating an aspect,

two planets are on 29 degrease, would i measure the 29th degree that the planet is on, as 1, and then the 30th as 2 and then 1 as 3...

Or would i calculate 30 as 1, 1 as 2, 2 as 3...

firstly, why are you counting manually? when computers do all this for you, especially Astro, it give you the + or - orb for conj, squares and opp =8'

Referring to 29' is important as they are considered critical degrees

Classic critical degrees are
0, 13, and 26 degrees of the cardinal signs (Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn);
8-9 and 21-22 degrees of fixed signs (Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius); and
4 and 17 degrees of mutable signs (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces). These are considered sensitive, and sometimes strengthening, points. If a natal planet is found in a critical degree, that planet is emphasized and assumes more power in the life of the native due to its placement.

Many astrologers consider 0 and 29 degrees of any sign critical degrees as well. The 0 and 29 degrees are more crisis-oriented points, especially in predictive work.
If a natal planet is found at 29 degrees of any sign, also known as the Anaretic degree, there can be some real issues with decision-making in that part of the personality represented by the energies of the planet. The native may evaluate and re-evaluate situations before making a move one day, and the next day, jump into the action without listening to himself or herself! For example, if Mars is at 29 degrees, the native may devise many plans of actions, worry excessively about the possible actions and different routes to take, and then execute a spontaneous action that is contrary to the decision!

The aspect is more important than the degree,but if I was pushed I would say 29' is 0' and 30' =1'

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Niplan, to answer your question:
If a planet is at 29 degrees and another is at 3 degrees of the next sign, there is 4 degrees difference between them.
Cheers
Lillyjgc

Niplan

Banned
lillyjgc said:
Niplan, to answer your question:
If a planet is at 29 degrees and another is at 3 degrees of the next sign, there is 4 degrees difference between them.
Cheers
Lillyjgc
thank you, So to make sure i understand, the Distance of an aspect is the space between two planets, NOT including the degree the planets sit on.

And I don't want to use a computer to cast my charts, it seems wrong. Part of the art of astrology I think, is the meditation that occurs when you are manually placing the planets and connecting them. I believe that's what links the astrologer to the chart, its what gives it life.

Anyway, a computer is only smart as the person who programed it, and I wouldn't trust any program to do that for me.
And I wouldn't ever get better at casting charts if i never do it.

And what happens if your computer breaks, or your internet service gets disconnected, or we go into a post apocalyptic world after nuclear fall out, or a zombie attack, then you won't even know how to do it anymore, because of the fact that you never learned by hand. The ancient astrologers did it that way, and so will I.

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
counting degrees, to Niplan

Niplan,

You said:
Niplan said:
two planets are on 29 degrease, would i measure the 29th degree that the planet is on, as 1, and then the 30th as 2 and then 1 as 3...

If you want to count up the degrees yourself, that is fine. As you say, many people calculated astrological charts before computers were invented. Here's how it works.

There are 30 degrees in a sign. Once a sign comes to the the 30th degree it "clicks over" into 0 degrees of the next sign. So, for example, there are 30 degrees in Aries. Once Aries reaches 30 degrees it "clicks over" into the next sign, Taurus at 0 degrees. So, even though there are 30 degrees in a sign, no sign will ever be listed as "30 degrees" anything, since it will move into 0 degrees of the next sign.

Now let's go back to your problem. There are two planets at 29 degrees. Let's imagine what happen if they are 30 degrees away from each other. We would start counting degrees at 29 degrees. 29 degrees + 1 degree = 30 degrees = 0 degrees of the next sign.

Let's go back to our Aries example and say one planet is at 29 degrees Aries and the other planet is 30 degrees away. So 29 degrees Aries + 1 degree = 30 degees Aries = 0 degrees Taurus. So one degree past 29 degrees Aries is 0 degrees Taurus. We have used up one degree out of 30 degrees, so we have 29 degrees more to use (i.e., 30 degrees - 1 degree = 29 degrees). So we add 29 degrees onto 0 degrees Taurus to get our answer: 0 degrees Taurus + 29 degrees = 29 degrees Taurus. So 30 degrees past 29 degrees Aries is 29 degrees Taurus.

This is the "long way" to calculate this problem. The simplest way to calculate this problem is to see that, since there are 30 degrees in a sign, any planets that are in the same degree are in some combination of 30 degrees. And the simplest way to find what the combination is is to count the position of the sign and then multiply 30 by that sign position number. For example, if you have two planets at 29 degrees and one is in Aries and the other is in Gemini, the position from Aries to Gemini is two signs (i.e., Aries - Taurus, Taurus - Gemini = 2 signs apart from each other), so you multiply 30 times 2 to get 60 degrees. So two planets in the same degree, one in Aries and the other in Gemini are 60 degrees from each other.

Of course, this is the simplest of all examples, if the planets are in degrees that are less or more than 30 degrees from each other, you have to figure them out the long way AND figure out whether or not they are in orb of an astrological aspect.

NOW you see why many people use astro.com to calculate their degrees! ;D

Signing off,

Tim

Niplan

Banned
Sorry,
So see the picture;

Are the planets in the picture 10 degree apart, or are they 8 Degree apart?
by the way i think i understand it, its 10.

(i understand 29, then clicking into 0 thank you!)

Last edited:

katydid

Niplan said:
thank you, So to make sure i understand, the Distance of an aspect is the space between two planets, NOT including the degree the planets sit on.

And I don't want to use a computer to cast my charts, it seems wrong. Part of the art of astrology I think, is the meditation that occurs when you are manually placing the planets and connecting them. I believe that's what links the astrologer to the chart, its what gives it life.

Anyway, a computer is only smart as the person who programed it, and I wouldn't trust any program to do that for me.
And I wouldn't ever get better at casting charts if i never do it.

And what happens if your computer breaks, or your internet service gets disconnected, or we go into a post apocalyptic world after nuclear fall out, or a zombie attack, then you won't even know how to do it anymore, because of the fact that you never learned by hand. The ancient astrologers did it that way, and so will I.

Learning how to calculate and draw a chart is admirable and refreshing. :p

Many of us old folks here had to do it that way back in the day.

Eventually you will accept that the software programs are very good and accurate in calculating aspects. But DRAWING up the chart yourself is vital if you really want to understand and feel at one with it. :cool:

I can get a lot of info from just taking a quick look at some ones computer print out. But If I want to do a real, valid, inspired reading and counseling session, then I will draw it up myself, and absorb things I hadn't first seen.

wilsontc

Staff member
easier when no "clicking over", to Niplan

Niplan,

You asked:
Niplan said:
Are the planets in the picture 10 degree apart, or are they 8 Degree apart? by the way i think i understand it, its 10.

It is easier to calculate degrees of a sign when they don't "click over" into 0 degrees of the next sign. Then all you have to use is basic math. In this case you want to find the distance between two planets, one is at 5 degrees and the other is at 14 degrees. So you subtract 5 degrees from 14 degrees to come up with the distance of 9 degrees (i.e., 14 degrees - 5 degrees = 9 degrees). So there are 9 degrees between two planets of 5 degrees and 14 degrees.

Mathematiciously,

Tim

amzolt

Niplan said:

The most technical procedure is to first understand that the "1st" degree of a Sign is from 0 degrees, 0 minutes, 1 second to 0 degrees, 59 minutes, 59 seconds... one more second and you're at the "2nd degree"--0 degrees, o minutes, 1 second...