Why is Mars exalted in Capricorn

JUPITERASC

Based on experiences Mars exaltation is given this point. I have two ways of explaining this:

2. The 28th degree of Sidereal Capricorn is equivalent to 23rd degree of Aquarius, where the following beneficial stars are located:

~ Gamma Capricorni (22)
~ Alpha Equulei (23)
~ Beta Aquarii (23)
~ Delta Capricorni (24)
~ Gamma Cygni
These benefic stars take color of Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn. Mars is the best planet to energize their benefits. Well this answers, why Mars is exalted at Sidereal 28 Capricorn.
dhundhun, how is 23rd degree of Aquarius equivalent to 28th degree of Sidereal Capricorn?

When you say 23rd degree of Aquarius are you describing 23rd degree of Sidereal Aquarius or 23rd degree of Tropical Aquarius?
:smile:

dhundhun

dhundhun, how is 23rd degree of Aquarius equivalent to 28th degree of Sidereal Capricorn?

When you say 23rd degree of Aquarius are you describing 23rd degree of Sidereal Aquarius or 23rd degree of Tropical Aquarius?
:smile:

You add up Ayanamsa to Vedic degree, which is 24 to 25 degrees right now. (This is difference between Sidereal and Tropical ZODIAC and every year gap increases by 0 degree 0 minute and 51 seconds).

Ayanamsa is complex subject in itself and there are a dozen of views starting from 22 degrees to 29 degrees.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

You add up Ayanamsa to Vedic degree, which is 24 to 25 degrees right now. (This is difference between Sidereal and Tropical ZODIAC and every year gap increases by 0 degree 0 minute and 51 seconds).
dhundhun, from the viewpoint of the tropical astrologer, in order to get the Sidereal equivalent of Tropical, the tropical astrologer must subtract the ayanamsa from the Tropical degree - therefore 28 degrees Tropical Capricorn is equivalent to 4 degrees Sidereal Capricorn.

So you probably meant 23 degrees Tropical Aquarius then is equivalent to 28 degrees Sidereal Capricorn. That makes sense.

Nevertheless, the exaltation of Mars is clearly 28 degrees Sidereal Capricorn as well as simultaneously 28 degrees Tropical Capricorn :smile:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
SniperBomber328 said:
Isn't it something like -2 or +2, when using Lilly's table of dignities and debilities? Well when completely out of sect or in-sect, so I'm guessing when partial out of sect/in-sect then it would be -1/+1? Just food for thought.

No, sect isn't mentioned in Lilly's dignity scoring table. I think you're thinking of oriental and occidental, which is something different.

soratothamax said:
So would it be said that exaltations overcompensate in their planets?

Because exaltations "feel" inferior, they overdo things, making the influence pure?

Is it that exalted is pure because they don't have those weaknesses that would otherwise make a domicile weak?

Not at all. Planets in exaltation are said to be guests of honor in the house of another planet. Essentially, they let their dispositor take care of them, whereas planets in domicile are in their own houses and have to take care of themselves.

tsmall

Premium Member
Not at all. Planets in exaltation are said to be guests of honor in the house of another planet. Essentially, they let their dispositor take care of them, whereas planets in domicile are in their own houses and have to take care of themselves.

To be clear, are you saying that planets in exaltation are just taking a pass, and that the domicile ruler of the sign of their exaltation (in the OP case, Saturn for Capricorn) essentially must also see to the affairs of the houses/signs ruled by the exalted planet? I had rather thought that an exalted planet could, depending on placement and aspects, be in a better position to see to its own affairs...

JUPITERASC, another question. I had understood that to truly be in hayz, a planet had to meet all the requirements of sect. Meaning that nocturnal planets cannot be in hayz in a diurnal chart, and diurnal planets cannot be in hayz in a nocturnal chart? Your post seems to suggest otherwise, so perhaps I have misunderstood?

JUPITERASC

JUPITERASC, another question. I had understood that to truly be in hayz, a planet had to meet all the requirements of sect. Meaning that nocturnal planets cannot be in hayz in a diurnal chart, and diurnal planets cannot be in hayz in a nocturnal chart? Your post seems to suggest otherwise, so perhaps I have misunderstood?
Proverbial can of worms IMO tsmall :smile:
Guido Bonatus in Liber Astronomiae writes :

"Alchabitius says that a planet is then said to be in its dustoria when it is in hayz or in its similitude, that is, so that a masculine planet is in a masculine sign, and a feminine planet in a feminine sign…… and a diurnal planet in the daytime above the earth, and in the night under the earth, and a nocturnal planet in the night time above the earth, and in the daytime below the earth; and in the day it should be oriental of the Sun and in the night occidental of the Moon"

btw VETTIUS VALENS wrote in the Anthology, Bk III, Chap.5:

CONCERNING THE SECT OF THE STARS

It is necessary to consider the sect of the stars, for the Sun, Jupiter and Saturn rejoice when they are above the earth during the day, below the earth at night. But the Moon, Mars and Venus rejoice when they are above the earth at night, and below the earth during the day...

IMO ancient astrologers relied on the "exercise of their judgement" rather than cook book printouts from computer software. So there were guidelines - complex guidelines:smile:

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
Proverbial can of worms IMO tsmall :smile:
Guido Bonatus in Liber Astronomiae writes :

"Alchabitius says that a planet is then said to be in its dustoria when it is in hayz or in its similitude, that is, so that a masculine planet is in a masculine sign, and a feminine planet in a feminine sign…… and a diurnal planet in the daytime above the earth, and in the night under the earth, and a nocturnal planet in the night time above the earth, and in the daytime below the earth; and in the day it should be oriental of the Sun and in the night occidental of the Moon"

Dustoria meaning proper face, or comfort? It also appears from this quote that Alchabitius is saying that planet/sign gender agreement and alignment with the horizon (nocturnal/diurnal), while not hayz is smiliar?

JUPITERASC

Dustoria meaning proper face, or comfort? It also appears from this quote that Alchabitius is saying that planet/sign gender agreement and alignment with the horizon (nocturnal/diurnal), while not hayz is smiliar?
Deborah Houlding has some clarification, QUOTE:

"It really does hinge on the need to consider orientality and occidentality and relationships to the Sun and Moon. It requires that the diurnal planets are moving with the Sun, so that if the Sun is above the horizon, so should they be; if the Sun is below it so should they be. It’s about whether they are ‘in attendance’ with the Sun or not. The nocturnal planets are not suited to the Sun’s bright radiance, so they are better when they escape it. Yet with a planet like Venus, which is nocturnal but always fairly close to the Sun, the odds of getting it in ‘hayz’ are much more limited by this definition"

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
To be clear, are you saying that planets in exaltation are just taking a pass, and that the domicile ruler of the sign of their exaltation (in the OP case, Saturn for Capricorn) essentially must also see to the affairs of the houses/signs ruled by the exalted planet? I had rather thought that an exalted planet could, depending on placement and aspects, be in a better position to see to its own affairs...

Not at all. A planet in exaltation is perfectly capable of handling it's own affairs. Dont forget, though, that every planet is dependent on its dispositior, but a planet in exaltation is not more dependent than others. The idea of a planet in exaltation being the honored guest in the house of another tends to show itself by people who just seem to be set up for good things by other people. My tenth house lord is Jupiter in Cancer, many of the jobs I've had have been given to me because ive been recommended for it by a friend who already worked there.

tsmall

Premium Member
Not at all. A planet in exaltation is perfectly capable of handling it's own affairs. Dont forget, though, that every planet is dependent on its dispositior, but a planet in exaltation is not more dependent than others. The idea of a planet in exaltation being the honored guest in the house of another tends to show itself by people who just seem to be set up for good things by other people. My tenth house lord is Jupiter in Cancer, many of the jobs I've had have been given to me because ive been recommended for it by a friend who already worked there.

Ok, now we are looking at real life and not theory. I happen to have Mars in Capricorn :surprised: in 4th, ruling my second and seventh. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how that's supposed to be beneficial....

Hekate

I thought about what some of you said, about how the exhalted planet suites in a sign: Moon in Taurus who is rational and stabile, for example. Or Saturn in an airy Libra being too legere. I thought about Virgo beening not so sexual-oriented, but much more cerebral. So I put Pluto in this sign. Pluto is also scientific mentality and the capacity to see precisely and deeply. Also the gliphs of Virgo and Scorpio are in some way similar, but Scorpio having an arrow (Mars-sex).

CapAquaPis

The planets known to rule Capricorn and Aquarius are Saturn and Uranus, two planetary bodies combined represents the two adjacent signs all for science, reform, reason, experience, academics and withstanding time. But honestly, Mars can help out Aquarius, so does Mercury which appears in one of the air signs: Gemini, and the obsessive-complusive nature of Neptune in relation to adjacent sign Pisces as well with Sagittarius. And the Sun as a detriment to Aquarius plus the Moon in my natal Aquarius yet is ruling my ascendant Cancer gives off an ecliptic shine (for me, that is). :tongue:

Unburdened

I've read many times here that Mercury is exalted in Virgo, I have seen most anywhere else that Mercury is exalted in Aquarius. Virgo would be a limiting place for that planet, being Aquarius a more universal, open minded and altruistic sign would give Mercury the right environment to give best use to its resources and qualities.

Moog

I've read many times here that Mercury is exalted in Virgo, I have seen most anywhere else that Mercury is exalted in Aquarius. Virgo would be a limiting place for that planet, being Aquarius a more universal, open minded and altruistic sign would give Mercury the right environment to give best use to its resources and qualities.

I don't know where the 'exaltation' of Mercury in Aquarius arises from. It is not in any of the traditional material I've ever read.

The sign that nearest fits the bill for 'universal, open minded and altruistic' in my mind would be Pisces, which is Mercury's fall.

Mercury does do well in the signs of Saturn, due to the friendship between them.

Claire19

Question as title really. What do you reckon?
Mars denotes our energy, our drive and how we work and Capricorn is often the workaholic, ambitious and driven. It is rather strange I agree when youi consider Mars rules Aries which is in square to Capricorn so in that way it tends to confuse. I just tend not to take much notice of the terminology and look at the aspects on their own merits.

Claire19

I don't know where the 'exaltation' of Mercury in Aquarius arises from. It is not in any of the traditional material I've ever read.

The sign that nearest fits the bill for 'universal, open minded and altruistic' in my mind would be Pisces, which is Mercury's fall.

Mercury does do well in the signs of Saturn, due to the friendship between them.
Aquarius as an air sign is the higher expression of Mercury as it rules genius and ideas for the betterment of humankind. Inventions, technologies and sciences are all under Aquarius.

What are the signs of Saturn?? Why would Mercury be connected there? Traditional astrology ignores the major outer planets
and has the wrong planets assigned to Aquarius, Pisces and Scorpio. The only reason Mercury rules two signs, right now, Gemini and Virgo is that Virgo's planet may be unrecognised or has exploded. Earth is more likely proper ruler of Taurus and not Venus. In my opinion.

Last edited:

Moog

What are the signs of Saturn?? Why would Mercury be connected there?

Indian astrology has a system of relationships between planets that I find very useful in understanding how well a planet functions in various signs, and in various aspectual relationships.

Here's a good introduction to the concept:

http://matthewastrology.blogspot.co.uk/2007/09/planetary-friends-and-enemies.html

Traditional astrology ignores the major outer planets and has the wrong planets assigned to Aquarius, Pisces and Scorpio. The only reason Mercury rules two signs, right now, Gemini and Virgo is that Virgo's planet may be unrecognised or has exploded. Earth is more likely proper ruler of Taurus and not Venus. In my opinion.
It's rather contentious to simply call them 'wrong'.

You could say; "I have extensively compared use of traditional rulers with modern, and prefer modern". I can respect a statement like that.

Hekate

Claire19,
Mars doesn't rule just Aries, but also Scorpio, do you remember? And there is a sextile beetween Scorpio and Capricorn.
Mars means energy and aggressivity, ambition and both signs are so. But in Scorpio there is a deep connection with passion and sexuality, which is not present in Capricorn.

Otherwise, Virgo can't be ruled and both the place of exhaltation of Mercury. It is a nonsense. The ancient astrologers did't know the slowest planets so they made a mistake.

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Moog said:

I did a bit of digging and discovered a couple of articles crediting one Martin Seymour-Smith for originating this claim.

M

may28gemini

With exception to probably say, the first 5-7 responses on this thread, every other response has been either way too off course and/or completely irrelevant. The question has to do with why MARS is considered exalted in Capricorn.

I believe someone answered that within the first 5-7 responses: Capricorn is concerned about control and carefully planning out strategies and you need that type of discipline to wrangle the naturally trigger-happy Mars. There.