orb accuracy?

Mikey279x

I received a new a differnet natal chart from another site promising Very accurate Orbs, and after viewing my new natal chart There were huge differneces in house systems.. etc.. the biggest difference in my chart was that astrodient had placed Sun,Venus,Mercury and Mars in the fifth house while my new natal chart has Sun,Mercury and Venus in the forth house which sounds nothing whatsoever like me in any way..the fifth house readings were 100% dead on and sound exactly like me no questions asked.. How accurate are the Orbs out there and if so which website holds the most accurate because I've been searching left and right trying to figure out whish site hold the most true.

Last edited:

milkywaygirl

i think orbs are something you have to decide yourself, its not something to leave up to computer programs. i've always been conflicted about orbs until i read somewhere the concept of applying orbs based on the planets. it said that each planet exerts a certain amount of force and have varying orbs; sun and moon the most and decreasing through the personal planets, to interpersonal, to outer. to determine the orb of a specific aspect one has to take into consideration the moiety (i think thats the word) of each planet, add the moieties together to get the acceptable orb for that aspect.

but one has to keep the whole chart in mind; if you're looking at aspects of the chart ruler for example, a wide orb could be more acceptable.

if that makes sense.

Catatonia

These are taken from William Lilly's book of Christian Astrology:

Sun - 15 to 17
Moon - 12
Mercury - 7
Venus - 7 to 8
Mars - 7
Jupiter - 9 to 12
Saturn - 9 to 10

These are modern, so they aren't stated and I'm giving you my good guess.

Uranus - Same
Neptune - I'd say about 6 - 7
Pluto - 5

What you need to know about aspects is that signs should definitely be taken into account over orbs. For example, if you have Mars square Neptune but it's supposedly out of orb and you could swear that the characteristics are all you, that is why. You HAVE the aspect, it's just not very prominent.

Furthermore, orbs are significant in terms of overall connection. The tighter the orb (the closer they are together, in -any- case) the most affect they bring. So, if your Mars and Neptune square is separated by a 15* orb, it would be less prominent than say, a 1* orb. 1 Degree orbs are VERY strong, and not only do you have the aspect but you flare it around like it's nobody's business, lol.

Hope this has helped,
Catatonia

Claire19

For the sun and moon I use wider orbs with major aspects. But no more than 10-11 degrees. For all the other planets no more than 7 degrees. For conjunction I feel that only about 5 degrees. For transitting planets of the outer planets such as Neptune, Pluto, Uranus I would use no more than 3 degrees. For inconjunct which I use as a major aspect I use only 2 degrees.

This is a matter of experience and opinion and remains a vexed question.

Claire

Draco

to determine the orb of a specific aspect one has to take into consideration the moiety (i think thats the word) of each planet, add the moieties together to get the acceptable orb for that aspect.

You forgot the dividing by two. ;)

To find planets that are within orb of each other, then add together the orb radius of both and then divide by two.

I use Lilly's orb allowances as well, lets use these as an example.

Mars and Mercury both have a radius of seven degrees apiece, so to find an intense aspect between Mercury and Mars, they would have to be within three and a half degrees of a perfect aspect to be in orb.

I agree with you Claire, the outer planets should have the tightest orbs of all, they are after all, invisible and distant.

astro.teacher

The orbs listed by Catatonia from William Lily are accurate however I find John Gadburry's more percise (both of whom were good friends).

That is:
Sun - 17 30 minutes
Moon - 12 30 minutes
Mercury - 7
Venus - 8
Mars - 7
Jupiter - 12
Saturn - 10

BUT you must remember that this is on EITHER SIDE of the Planet. That means that Saturns orb in total is 10 but thats 5 degrees applying and 5 degrees separating. If Saturn and Venus were in a square, you add both totals together and divide them by two. 8+10= 18/2 = 9. Therefore, when these Planets enter into at least 9 degrees with eachother in their position they are considered applying squared. When they both reach 0 degree (or a perfect square) after 13 minutes they are considered squared separating and they do not leave eachother until they are at least 9 degrees apart.

I noticed Draco has already pointed this point out I just hoped to illustrate it further. I hope it helps.

Aaron Brody - Astro.Teacher
http://antiquus.50webs.com
http://antiquus.prophp.org/ Antiquus Astrologia

Last edited:

Claire19

I dont agree on 9 degrees orb with square Saturn and Venus. It is too wide, even if one is the chart ruler. The lights such as the Sun and Moon I give maybe 10 degrees to but no more and to major aspects only. With transits the orbs should be even tighter. THe outer planets move so slowly that any more than 5 degrees means a long time in aspect, even years.......

The question of orbs is one that rages on and on and astrologers differ greatly with their ideas. I can only go on experience of over 20 years.

Claire

astro.teacher

I think before we start changing what Classical astrology sets down, we should ask ourselves why they chose these orbs in the first place, dont you agree? It would be foolish to change things to suit our purpose without understanding the reasoning behind why they were that way to begin with. They didnt pick numbers out of their hats and if indeed an orb is too big, I would assume that they would have figured that out over the countless authors (who were also professional astrologers) and centuries they were printed. Please keep in mind I am only refering to the Planets up till Saturn.

As for my example with Saturn and Venus, why cant it be 9 degrees? Why is 9 degrees to wide? Venus is a swift Planet and therefore how is that orb too large when it moves quite quickly?

Antiquus Astrologia

Last edited:

Sag Moon

Astro Teacher
In some cases wider degrees should or can be used.

In the case of Venus in my chart I can allow a greater orb due to it ruling my sun.Hence a do I a grand trine.

The point to many astrologers is that the tighter orbs will present the the most promenient aspects that will rule the indivduals life or be presented to the world to see or be effective in his makeup.

Regards!

astro.teacher

Sag Moon,

Of course there are many different variations of orbs, however I find some more reasonable then others. I find many of the traditional authors have good reasons behind their orbs so I tend to favor them. But to each their own. :)

Antiquus Astrologia

Last edited:

Sag Moon

What are the traditional orb you use? There is the Applying and Seperating orb to consider also.

Then there are the wider oorbs that should be giiven to the Sun & Moon.

The ruler of the chart should be given a wider orb I think.

It is wise to start with tighter orbs to see what is most significant and then use wider orbs to see what else impacts the chart.

JMO

Claire19

Right on Sag Moon!! I think with the outer planets in transits the orbs should be about 3 degrees applying and 2 separating, yes. With conjunctions a tight orb especially as the nature of it is to be close together. I would use more for Sun and Moon, chart ruler perhaps. I dont use any more than 10 degrees at the most even for these.

Claire