weight gain/loss

westwind9

my 30 some yr old daughter has been gaining weight over the past 3 or 4 years. about 50-60 lbs. its steady increase. what is (astrologically) causing this? I am assuming it is a long term planet, Saturn or Jupiter? her asd is 15 cancer , with natal Saturn in 11th house , 29 Taurus. her Jupiter is natally at 6th house 0 Capricorn. Jupiter also rules 6th house.
but as jupitor moves though several houses in 3 years... (it is now just entered her10th house) how does this keep affecting her weight?
her moon, ruler of her lst house, is natally 11 Scorpio 5th house. but the moon also moves quickly though all houses, several times in 3 years?
what are the indicators I should be looking at? and when will the weight gain end?
her sun is aquarious in her 8th.

Vista

my 30 some yr old daughter has been gaining weight over the past 3 or 4 years. about 50-60 lbs. its steady increase. what is (astrologically) causing this? I am assuming it is a long term planet, Saturn or Jupiter? her asd is 15 cancer , with natal Saturn in 11th house , 29 Taurus. her Jupiter is natally at 6th house 0 Capricorn. Jupiter also rules 6th house.
but as jupitor moves though several houses in 3 years... (it is now just entered her10th house) how does this keep affecting her weight?
her moon, ruler of her lst house, is natally 11 Scorpio 5th house. but the moon also moves quickly though all houses, several times in 3 years?
what are the indicators I should be looking at? and when will the weight gain end?

Without a natal chart with transits and progressions everyone is going to be guessing here. You can get this from astro.com in the free horoscope section.

Mark

I don't think the planets are at fault on this one. Having studied astrology, psychology, and physiology, I know that lack of sufficient work/activity is the primary cause of weight gain. Don't worry about how much is eaten or about where the planets are. Once weight has been accumulated, the only way to get rid of it is to work it off slowly. If she triples her daily energy exertion (the amount of chemical fuel consumed by her body) she will lose weight. That's the only reasonable way. Dieting is unhealthy and does not cause stable weight loss. Drugs and hypnosis have also proven ineffective. The applicable surgeries are nothing more than forced-dieting, which makes the body less healthy. Tools to change thinking patterns and attitudes (such as biofeedback or cognitive-behaviour therapy) may help, but stable weight loss really depends on building muscle that burns fat. It's the only effective way. Best of luck to you and your daughter.

Lovebug

Dieting isn't unhealthy it really depends on the diet. I think a more appropriate way to put it is while your dietin. You goal should be to change your eatting habits. The purpose is to creat a healthy life style not just to loose weight other wise once you've lost the weight you'll return to old habits and gain it back. Nutrition and excerise are almost always the key to weight loss.

Claire19

DId it start at her Saturn return???? Being ruled by the Moon can cause food issues i.e. Cancer. Jupiter in the 6th of diet and nutrition and with Sagittarius on the cusp, this exaggerates the influences. As we get older our metabolism decreases in lots of cases and I would say she may eat secretly for pleasure and would say definitely she is over eating. The kick start point was at 29 or so and kicked off her natal inclinations although certain planets have moved on. There may be other transits at play. Exercise of course will help to alleviate this.

Need her chart as always.

Claire19

Dieting isn't unhealthy it really depends on the diet. I think a more appropriate way to put it is while your dietin. You goal should be to change your eatting habits. The purpose is to creat a healthy life style not just to loose weight other wise once you've lost the weight you'll return to old habits and gain it back. Nutrition and excerise are almost always the key to weight loss.
I found that using a small dinner plate helps but it is gradual and you get used to the smaller portions. Denying ourselves what we want to eat is not the answer and causes stress. Just have whatever only less of it.
Worked for me. exercise is also key. Even just dancing around the livingroom, taking the stairs and just running on the spot...... plenty of vegetables and fruit and less red meat and some white....plenty of wholegrain breads.....

bittermoon

You might want to put up a natal chart (with transits) so we can have a look at it. However, I do tend to agree with Mark.

50 to 60 lbs is a lot of weight. Certain medications/diseases can make you gain weight. Has she been thoroughly checked out medically?

She's only 30 but if she wants/needs to lose the weight, it's better to start asap. It really does get harder when you get older. I am 39 now and I really watch what I eat (as little processed foods as possible), how much I eat and I also exercise at least an hour a day. And I do this not to lose weight, but only to maintain my current weight. It takes commitment.

Fad diets are unhealthy and potentially dangerous. Chances are, she needs to change her eating habits. Recently I've been learning about foods with a low Glycemic Index/Load after a family member was diagnosed with Diabetes. Following a Diabetes type diet may be beneficial for her.

Mark

What You Should Know About Diet and Exercise

Dieting (reducing food intake or reducing the nutritional quality of food taken) decreases general metabolic rate. This is due to a natural adaptation which causes your body to "burn fuel" more slowly in times of less food or lower quality food. In the wild, this function would help you survive longer under hardship. Once dropped in this manner, your metabolic rate will stay low for days (sometimes weeks) even after you stopped dieting, thus negating any weight loss. If dieting were to work permanently, you would have to keep reducing food intake to match the dropping metabolism, so that you eventually eat nothing and die.

On the other hand, food is necessary in order to perform work (exercise). When you exercise heavily, your metabolic rate goes up and stays up for hours after you stopped exercising. On top of that, exercise builds more muscle fibre which "burns fuel" just by moving. The idea is that it takes more energy to move a big muscle than to move a little one. People who build big muscles lose fat much more quickly than those who don't. If you exercise continually, your food intake will naturally increase because the fuel is needed, but it will be burned much more quickly and efficiently than with no exercise.

In short, dieting depletes the body of what it needs to be healthy. If you try to diet your way to skinniness, you will be unhealthy. If you exercise your way to skinniness, you will continually make yourself stronger and more vital. I worked for three years as a roofer and hated every minute of it. It did, however, get me into better shape than ever before. I could eat as much as I wanted of anything that I wanted and I still lost 40+ pounds in the first year while gaining muscle mass. If anyone wants to lose weight, exercise is certainly the way to go.

Olivia

You really need to evaluate the individual's chart for which type of diet is appropriate for them. Granted, there are 'food products' that are not good for anyone, but a lot of it will come down to temperament, and what caused the weight gain in the first place.

When people are heavyset by astrological nature, it usually kicks in around age 30-35 - that's one of the places where trad astrology uses planetary declinations - for someone's physical build. And, of course, there could be underlying illness with severe gain or loss - which should also be reflected in the chart.

bittermoon

I do not believe a diet is linked to someone's chart. It's really simple. In order to lose weight you need to consume less calories than you burn. In theory it does not matter if you get your calories from junkfood only or if you eat healthy and balanced. Sure, you'll feel a lot crappier when you eat bad foods. You are what you eat.

Part of the problem is portion related. And really, you probably need less calories than you might think. I'm a 39 year old female, 5'5", 112 lbs. I exercise about an hour a day. Nothing crazy, I just go for a walk (about 5 miles). My caloric need is about 1600 kcals. A 32 oz milkshake from McD. is already 1100. That would leave me with just enough room for a BK fish sandwich.... without sauce.

I think some of the biggest evils are those sweetened, milky coffee drinks. Would not touch those with a 10 foot pole.

westwind9

follow up on my post: my daughter , who was never fat before a few years ago, did have a doctor run some blood tests. her Vitamin D was non exsistent and her thyroid had flipped from one end to the other of the scale (she has to watch this as I also have thyroid disease) I know thyroid causes weight gain, along with other problems when out of wack. It was not a Saturn return, as she is past 30 and closer to 40. but Saturn is in her 4th house, and was conjunct pluto when this started, or close to conjunct as it is hard to know when the emotional gain started. some of you have indicated that cancer rising, or the moon aspects are also related. this is interesting and I will consider this in my research. for those of you who think "just exercise" is the cure.... my advice is that one has to understand why there is weight gain, before it is cured. astrology indicates, transits show trends, gives clues when one knows how to read it. I'm a gemini and always researching....

bittermoon

Okay, so she has medical issues which are most likely responsible for her weight gain. Gaining so much weight without her eating more and exercising less is definitely not 'normal' and we all know that being overweight can lead to all kinds of additional health problems. Astrology might give clues, but I'd definitely insist on getting things sorted out medically rather than looking at transits.

Vista

follow up on my post: my daughter , who was never fat before a few years ago, did have a doctor run some blood tests. her Vitamin D was non exsistent and her thyroid had flipped from one end to the other of the scale (she has to watch this as I also have thyroid disease) I know thyroid causes weight gain, along with other problems when out of wack. It was not a Saturn return, as she is past 30 and closer to 40. but Saturn is in her 4th house, and was conjunct pluto when this started, or close to conjunct as it is hard to know when the emotional gain started. some of you have indicated that cancer rising, or the moon aspects are also related. this is interesting and I will consider this in my research. for those of you who think "just exercise" is the cure.... my advice is that one has to understand why there is weight gain, before it is cured. astrology indicates, transits show trends, gives clues when one knows how to read it. I'm a gemini and always researching....

Hi Westwind9,
I am glad you found the root cause of your daughters problem, but since you refused to put your daughters chart, of course you were going to get a lot of "just exercise" as the cure without seeing her chart. I can tell that her thyroid problem most likely IS is her natal chart and would have been spotted. I have seen it many times and BTW I also have a thyroid problem myself.

Mark

Anyone with thyroid problems needs to research what Edgar Cayce gave in his readings about them. The problem is much more easily remedied than you might think. Also, don't trust pills just because they're in a bottle. A good Gemini shouldn't have a problem researching, researching, researching.

hermetic

Cancer ascendants are known for their plump-ness to say the least, I am one myself and had bouts of gaining weight several times during my life; especially difficult was once when Jupiter transited over my 1st house, but that is to be expected. Never have I been overweight, but since my Saturn crossing 1st house I'm on the thin side, although I have also had my share of hormonal problems, inherited from my mom who's also cancer asc ;)
Moon as a ruler gives emotional eaters mostly... and hormonal, water regulating, thyroid problems as I've seen, plenty family members have the same asc. Her Moon is in detriment in Scorpio, not a good place to be, and she is probably somehow hiding all her emotional stuff. There are psychoanalytic theories that people surround their bodies with fat to protect themselves. Scorpio Moons have difficult, heavy psyche and are never to be taken lightly.
Jupiter in 6th is also partly responsible.
Venus could also point to problems in weight as it rules sugar, and also shows where we gain pleasure. I've seen even 2nd house being referred to as house of eating, nurture...
I would try moon phase dieting for start and look for good transit time to start a diet. Pluto is transiting 6th house currently if I am not mistaken - this probably is the time to reform all eating habits, break patterns and start fresh. I wish you both best of luck!

these two are easily remedied, I take Vitamin D3 found off Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Doctors-Best-...auty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item19c5d4d005
plus I am borderline thyroid problems, adrenal glands and sometimes Pituitary
www.yournutritionshop.co.uk

again easily bought over the internet

bittermoon

Cancer ascendants are known for their plump-ness to say the least, I am one myself and had bouts of gaining weight several times during my life; especially difficult was once when Jupiter transited over my 1st house, but that is to be expected. Never have I been overweight, but since my Saturn crossing 1st house I'm on the thin side, although I have also had my share of hormonal problems, inherited from my mom who's also cancer asc ;)
Moon as a ruler gives emotional eaters mostly... and hormonal, water regulating, thyroid problems as I've seen, plenty family members have the same asc. Her Moon is in detriment in Scorpio, not a good place to be, and she is probably somehow hiding all her emotional stuff. There are psychoanalytic theories that people surround their bodies with fat to protect themselves. Scorpio Moons have difficult, heavy psyche and are never to be taken lightly.

My sister is a Cancer rising and she's very slim. So it is not just the Ascendant responsible for being 'plump'. I myself have a Scorpio Moon and am very slim, also. I eat quite a lot (though healthy) but I am not an emotional eater at all. Also did not notice any weight gain with Jupiter transiting through my 1st house.

Too many generalisations.

hermetic

My sister is a Cancer rising and she's very slim. So it is not just the Ascendant responsible for being 'plump'. I myself have a Scorpio Moon and am very slim, also. I eat quite a lot (though healthy) but I am not an emotional eater at all. Also did not notice any weight gain with Jupiter transiting through my 1st house.

Too many generalisations.

fair enough ;) I just thought those might be a part of contribution. But I remember one thing that was also discussed here on the forum some months/years back - asteroid Ceres' aspects in SR charts.
Well, I've done these for years where I was gaining /losing weight and it was always present in some combo with Jupiter or Saturn, natal or SR, meaning in the year where I lost a bunch of weight I've had Sr Ceres conjunt natal Saturn... also ascendant might be the clue because of the body, but I remember this was explained as Ceres being involved in nurture, nutrition, so it gets relevant when it hits some important spot.

westwind9

thyroid disorders, ulcers, depression and other physical illness cause weight gain, as do many prescribed medicatios. and that is in spite of regular exercise, a balanced diet.
many of the answers on this question have totally missed the mark. I was looking fr indicators in a chart. [deleted attacking comment - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: