Astrology book for newbie?

JUPITERASC

Hi. I am a newbie in astrology. Any book recommendations?

Original ancient astrological techniques
practiced and chronicled by working astrologer Vettius Valens almost two thousand years ago
include the Hellenistic Solar Return,
profections
the combinations of stars
and more downloadable

ALL FREE and translated by professor Riley at
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf :smile:

INTRODUCTIONS TO TRADITIONAL ASTROLOGY
http://www.bendykes.com/ita.php

TRADITIONAL ASTROLOGY FOR TODAY
http://www.bendykes.com/tafortoday.php

Astronoodles

Honestly, the book that I would recommend for someone new to astrology is Chart Interpretation Handbook: Guidelines for Understanding the Essentials of the Birth Chart by Stephen Arroyo. The name is long, ahaha, but it's really easy to understand and grasp the concepts. I love it so much! Good luck on the book hunting! :)

Oddity

On 21K;19P. The Combinations of the Stars.
When he says, for example, "When Saturn and Jupiter are together," does he mean in conjunction or simply by aspect?

By aspect. If you continue to read the passage, he talks about the planets being in their own signs, ill-dignified, etc., and a lot of the sentences wouldn't make sense if it were conjunction only.

/49P/
This then is what we have explained
with respect to the distinctive characteristics of individual
stars as well as several taken together. If other stars share the configuration (being in conjunction or in aspect), the reading of the horoscope will be changed according to the nature of
the additional star.

Last edited:

waybread

I think a complete newbie would find Vettius Valens Anthologies (who wrote in around 150 CE) to be very confusing. He wouldn't even bring you up to date on the past centuries of developments in traditional western astrology. I am so happy that I learned modern astrology with these two books:

Steven Forrest, The Inner Sky
Robert Hand, Planets in Youth (good for all ages.)

Stephen Arroyo is really good, too.

If you'd prefer to learn traditional western astrology, a good introductory textbook is Avelar and Rebeiro, On the Heavenly Spheres.

All these books are in print. If you can't find them at a New Age book store, try amazon.com.

JUPITERASC

I think a complete newbie would find Vettius Valens Anthologies (who wrote in around 150 CE) to be very confusing.
He wouldn't even bring you up to date on the past centuries of developments in traditional western astrology.
On the contrary, important developments in traditional western astrology
introduced by Robert Schmidt
are in fact sourced from Vettius Valens
THE ANTHOLOGY :smile:

for example

PROJECT HINDSIGHT
http://www.projecthindsight.com/

waybread

Robert Schmidt focuses on translations of Hellenistic astrology. And I have no problems with it as the foundation of the western astrology that followed. Valens is fine for people interested in the history of astrology or practicing Hellenistic astrology. But neither the Riley translation or Hindsight were designed to offer good introductions to beginners. For one thing, even if you wish to learn traditional astrology, you'd probably at least want to incorporate developments prior to 1700. There are some recent primers for anyone who wishes to begin with traditional western astrology instead of modern astrology. You mentioned Dykes, I mentioned Avelar and Rebeiro.

Bunraku

By aspect. If you continue to read the passage, he talks about the planets being in their own signs, ill-dignified, etc., and a lot of the sentences wouldn't make sense if it were conjunction only.

/49P/
This then is what we have explained
with respect to the distinctive characteristics of individual
stars as well as several taken together. If other stars share the configuration (being in conjunction or in aspect), the reading of the horoscope will be changed according to the nature of
the additional star.

Ha. Excellent! Thanks. :wink:

Bunraku

What's a upward trending or downward trending ?

Update: I figured it out while reading about Aristotle. It’s just the nature of the elements of where they prefer to aggregate in the universe/world/whatever.

Last edited: