A good book for quick studies.

piercethevale

Greetings. I've never contributed to this particular sub forum before...but I wrote this as part of another post in response to a members question and then realized it wasn't really germane to the thread so I 'cut it' and found that I can 'paste it' here.
So, with-out re-write...

..and I still say Sakoian and Acker most likely know what they wrote about...their Astrologers Handbook has been of inestimable value to me the last 28 years...I wouldn't recommend any other myself...but I haven't ruled out that there may be a better handbook...I do like Ursula Lewis' Hand book for a traveling companion and for a second reference when i need more insight on something. Her section on sexuality and romance is a treat. She boils down to the gist of the boys and the girls needs and relations and as to what kind of companion they look for.

Unfortunately Ursula's book is out of print and you'll have to get a used one. Unless it has made re-print since I last looked.

I always said that a fellow that does have bad conscience playing role games in the hunt for romance need only Ursulas book and a Ephemeris to give him a savy edge ...probably better than any 'magic potion' or amulet would do. One would only need to get the day and year a woman you are interested in and she what sign her Mars and Venus were in at birth. I know that a lot of you will say that isn't enough to get to know someone..and I agree. But, Ursula has done a remarkable job of boiling it all down to a sentence or two and I have to admit...I did use it a bit...quite a bit for a couple few years. But I never used it to try to 'pick up' women.

It was the late 80s when I broke up with my ex [or she dumped me] and I was into dating rather actively for about 5 years [after which I became celibate]. I was was 38 years old before I ever started going to bars...before I started drinking other than on occasion that is. If I met someone of interest I would get the day and year of birth [as I could always get the conversation to swing towards Astrology and politely and reassuringly get that info.] I could get a moment to go out to my car and see what kind of criteria I was up against and I would decide if that I was what she was looking for herself. [and plus, with the day and year you also can pretty much be assured of the Sun and Moon sign too...not to mention the rest of the planets. So, you do know somewhat more than just the sexual/romantic slant.

I did have a 'regular spot' that I liked to visit after work some nights and after a few months became know to the staff and the other regulars for having a knack at astrology and eventually found myself approached by couples wanting to know about their compatibility. This is when I really got to learn about the different characteristics of the combinations of the signs and the 'Orbs' [Sun,Moon,Planets] and get the ability to spot Sign influence in the 'cast' of people just from observing them for a minute or two.

I was once asked by two sisters what their signs were. I had just met them moments before as some gal I knew introduced me to them as an astrologer, saying "Oh, here's Dave, He's a pretty good Astrologer...and then walked away and left me hanging with them [These sisters were of Scot/Italian ancestry...of which I am too...along with English/Powhaton..so, it is easier for me to evaluate appearances the closer the genetic make-up is to my own]

Actually I recognized one as a Scorpio immediately and told her right out as they had given me a skeptical eye [as it turned out their parents were both astrologers and they grew up with it ...but not the predilection for it.] She nearly choked on a sip of wine. So the other sister, the 'darker' sister [Blonde and Brunettes...very dis-similar] asked me rather cockily; "So, what sign am I?"...I know how patterns run in families...quickly thought...'Sis is a Scorpio...so Water signs'...okay...Cancer?...no, drawn face and a bit sullen eyed...Pisces! ...like my brother [as he is a Pisces with a Virgo Asc. and I a Taurus with a Scorpio Asc.]...and I saw she had the same kind of softening of a 'Virgo' mask of Asc. just as my brother. So I said, after a good five seconds that this process of thought took; "Pisces...with "...and she and I both said 'Virgo' at the same time...then she stopped and I continued on...."Ascendant" ...as she was stunned that I was even giving her Asc. too...and apparently correctly ...and she and her turned to one another and grinned and kinda cooed..."Ooooh...he is good!"

It was from these 'Bar Experiences' that I learned a great deal of what I know to be true about astrology and especially from working with couples because we all know that often someone will deny some attribute or quality that you've stated for them but a spouse will always interject and rectify ..."Oh, you do too and you know it.." kinda way...:lol:

Last edited:

piercethevale

I'll give an example of what Ursula's book is like.
I've got a Gemini Mars and an Aries Venus.

Ursula's book, chapter 11, "Your Sexual Expression,Venus, Mars and the Fifth House'.

"Mars in a Mans Cart. His Needs and Reactions."

"Mars in Gemini: He is a bit flirtatious. Still, he needs an intellectual woman because he has a somewhat cerebral attitude toward his relationships."

"Venus in Aries. He is attracted to the woman who is outgoing, independent, scintillating and has a sense of adventure."

This is what I mean by 'succinct'...and I found Ursula's discernment to be pretty d@mn good.

She also gives a Fifth House cusp sign guide. Just as succinct.
I have Pisces.
"Pisces: These people are given to romantic daydreaming and need a partner who is romantic, intuitive and capable of alleviating fears."

But, you would rarely get the chance to be of assurance on house cusps/Asc. from a chance meeting in public...unless the 'other person' knows their own chart aspects...which I do run into once in awhile.

The only other book I personally know of that gives attributes of personality like this, that is about as good [maybe better], is Grant Levi's, "Heaven knows What" ...an old tyme book from the 30s-40s [it's 'Heyday'] It has a paragraph, or two, description for all the 144 Sun/Moon combinations.
I have found that everyone that I read their Sun/Moon interpretation to, over the years, agreed that the description was somewhat to -- almost completely accurate.
Except for one person. ...and the book said that the kind of person would deny this most stringently and the person did before I could quite get to the last sentence that said he would.
This was one of those couples asking me for a compatibility reading/assessment....and the gal smartly turned toward him and and teasingly but a bit aggressively too..and corked off; "Oh you are too..and You know it..!!
And when I read out the last sentence that he would deny it ...She and I burst out laughing but , I caught myself ,quickly because I could see He wasn't one to be mocked and it is bad manners.
..but she roasted his .....

Last edited:

piercethevale

It was last copyrighted in 1976 and I don't know if Ursula is still among the living, so it may be possible that it is in the public domain by now.